Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    chefrkm -
    Most 6 1/2 speakers will fit in the sound bar with no cutting. You may have to drill a couple of new holes to mount the speakers, but they will fit and look good. I also read a tip to lightly stuff the sound bar with poly-fil (get it in the sewing section at WalMart) to tighten up the bass a bit. As far as driving the new speakers with a factory head unit, you will want to make sure the new speakers are reasonably efficient. You will see measuments like 89db, 92db, etc. A speaker with an efficiency of 92db, will sound louder given the same input from the amp. I haven't tried either of these yet, but plan on doing both in the next month or so. One speaker I can recommend is the Boston Acoustics FX6. It's a coaxial speaker with a rubber (not foam) surround, so it will hold up better in the Jeep environment. It is also pretty efficient and is designed to be a good replacement with a factory head unti or amp. If this still doesn't "do it" for you, you may want to look into buying a center console and sub for a 2001 instead of an amp. I listened to both systems in a soft top TJ before ordering ours WITH the factory sub. We had the top off last weekend and the sound was pretty well balanced, even at 50mph. You definitely have to turn it up, but it sounded really good. This approach also gives theives one less thing to see and want to grab.

sfjeeps -
    Great description and highlights of the differences between differentials. I'm sure many of us Jeep newbies appreciate it.

-twylie
  • oldjeepguyoldjeepguy Member Posts: 10
    Anyone out there who has actually installed 6 1/2" speakers in the soundbar? In particular, the 6 1/2 " Kenwood eXcelon? How about replacements for the dash units? Details would be appreciated.
    Incidentally, I received my new rain cover from hottubtable yesterday (Wrangler IV post #1328). Haven't tried it yet, but it looks to be of excellent quality. The company itself is quite professional to deal with, and they're giving a 5% discount and waiving shipping charges through March.

oldjeepguy
  • convert2convert2 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone besides me get irritated by the excessive tranny slack in the lo gears? Dealer says it is normal and I say it ain't. Also the front diff pinion seal is leaking as well as the body seal under the back seat. When I drive in the rain the rear floor board fills up with water. I dare anyone try and convince me that these jeeps are as well built and reliable as the '76 an older CJs'. Come on I dare ya. Wanna buy a jeep?? I say the emporer(jeep)has no clothes. I think I will trade for isuzu.
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    I think I made a mistake on this one. I was ready to order it, thinking it hides away in the center console, which, from the recent discussions, it seems like it does. But when I was in the dealership negotiating, my salesman gave me a brochure listing various accessories you could get (add-a-trunk, tow hooks, etc.). For the subwoofer, it showed a picture of a triangular piece which looked like it was sitting width-wise on the floor behind the front seats. The description said something about it folding up when not in use, but it looked like it took up maybe 6 inches or more of room in the back area, which there is very little of. I will be hauling some cargo from time to time, and I need every inch of space I can get, so I decided to nix the subwoofer. Now I'm thinking maybe I should have gotten it if it does indeed hide in the center console as I originally thought.
    Anyone besides me experiencing a lot of transmission slack in the lo gears? Dealer says it is normal, I say it ain't. Also the front differential pinion seal is leaking as well as the body seal under the rear seat. When I drive in the rain the rear floor board fill up with water. They don't make 'em like they use to. Someone convince me that these chryslers are worth what we pay for 'em. So far I am very dissappointed.
  • saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    The factory subwoofer does come in the middle console. The one you saw may have been an aftermarket one that bolts on right behind the seatbelt units or on the floorboards.

I almost wish I would have waited, I have a 2000, "no sub avaliable", but I like all the extra room I have in there. I can almost carry a human head in there. Just kidding.

http://www.angelfire.com/geek/jeep/

• texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    yellowman
    I have no problems at all starting off in gear and moving my foot from the brake to gas. I never roll backwards or only a few inches. I guess I use the same method as milt721, it is just subconscious to me. I just know my clutch real well I guess. Off-road I use the key start and stop (no clutch). That is the only way to go. Get use to driving stick first and then go practice where there won't be any traffic. See how the different methods listed by everyone works for you. The picture you saw of (subwoofer in the console) was probably with the seat pushed forward.

celtachick
    go for the sport. The 4.0 is worth the money.

cptsteamer1
    The Sahara should have a difference of $500. You will get one inch wider painted flares. The a/c in new Jeeps work great.

milt721
    Why couldn't you use the key start/stop on the street. Your gearing would be too high? Just curious

wranglerwanted
    Buy the Dana44 it is worth it. The full doors are better for using your window (unzipping the windows can be a pain when moving or even stopped) and also a lot less wind noise on the highway with full doors. With half doors, I like having the option of taking my top halves on and off whenever I want. I can just throw them in the back. If you are across town or out of town, you have no place to put full doors.
    If you want full doors buy them with the Jeep and you can get full soft doors for $300 aftermarket. Or if half doors work for you just buy them and be done. I have half doors and they work for me.

I think the safari doors are ugly and useless. You should still get them if you like them but you won't ever be able to use them against rain or wind. I would just rather have no doors vs safari. The manual trannys can have sticky shifting, noisy in neutral and in some cases pop out of gear. I don't think they corrected this on the 01s, but I am not sure.

Volare
    I am against 4 cyc Jeeps so I don't like that one. They suck on the highway, but if you won't use it on the highway it should be fine. Check the classifieds on the net and in your local paper to see what Jeeps with the same year, engine, miles go for.

loseit
    For off-roading I would not get nerf bars. Look at rock rails or the rocker guards. You lose too much clearance with nerfs.
    Getting a lift may cause warranty problems. Mine is lifted and I have no problems with my dealer servicing it. Talk with the service manager and get idea on how the dealer is. Some dealers suck and some don't.

sasquatch_2000
    Your friend is funny. You should know now that your friend is biased towards YJs and you can take that into account when ever you ask him something about Jeeps. For off-roading I think TJs are better stock but both TJs and YJs can be built up to be great off-road.
    Sounds like there is not much difference between the sahara and 60th. Just stickers, interior color and floor mats?

goducks1
    This link explains why most off-roaders aren't waiting to see how the Liberty will be.
    http://www.widowmakeronline.homestead.com/liveaxle.html
    oldjeepguy
    I haven't done 6.5s but I know several people who have. You just have to drill 2 new mounting screws. I am also looking at doing some cutting and putting 6x9s in. I am going to check the difference in speakers and hopefully 6.5s will due. I am also considering moving the sound bar in front of the roll bar.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    convert2, what do you mean by "slack" in the transmission?

oldjeepguy, glad to hear you got the Raingear cover, you like it. Sounds like you got it for a steal, everyone else should consider it if looking for a cover. My only gripe is that the fabric is a bit heavy for one person to handle but I manage to get it on pretty quickly.

saenzski, I checked out your website's story on buying the jeep--very funny. Daisy Duke doubtlessly planted the Jeep seed in my head too.
  • oldjeepguyoldjeepguy Member Posts: 10
    Thanks to you for the tip, goducks1.
    ojg
  • saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    thanx guy...
    this 60th does have everything else that i want..except t-loc.. so i guess its back to wait & see. Now to start dealing with him on trade-in.
    thats gonna be fun.
    I appreciate you help.
    see ya in chat tonight!

Snut
    terry
    True, I suppose I do gain quite a bit of room inside the center console. I was surprised when I did my test drive that I could put my arm in that thing all the way above my elbow. I'll probably keep as much (nonvaluable) stuff in there as in the add-a-trunk.
    I know the Safari doors really don't have a use, but I'm more getting them for the mirror placement, since I don't like the idea of having to drill to move my mirror, just to take the top off and drive legally. If it wasn't for the mirrors, I'd just as soon go doorless when the top is off.
  • gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    The transmission in my 2K1 TJ has not made me happy either. Noisy in neutral, clunks when up-shifting to 4th and 5th, and tough to pull out of 5th when downshifting. I've found that shifting at lower speeds helps with the clunking, but that doesn't help much when you're trying to get on the expressway - no winding out the gears without clunking.

Water in the back is also a problem, but for some reason it's now intermittent. I've had days when it poured during a nor'easter, and no water inside. I think now that it may be related to the back window/tailgate seals. Still investigating. But I do have to say that, even with these annoyances, I like my TJ.
    Those of you reporting leakage into the backseat - is this due to the soft top? Anyone have the same problem with a hard top?

p.s. - my Jeep is in Mobley, Missouri as we speak. It left the factory in Toledo, Ohio on the 24th. Seems like pretty slow progress for 5 days, but at least it's on the way!
  • loseitloseit Member Posts: 7
    hey guys!!

I went to a professional install place to ask about sereo/ speaker configurations. They told me to leave the stock speakers in the sound par and put 5 1/4" spaeakers in the dash with an 8" sub in the counsole with an amp under the back seat. The guy said that your front speakers should be louder than the sound bar ones. As far as putting an amp under the back seat...isnt that where everyone puts there windows and stuff when driving around? What is the best way to go about this?

i have hugged my jeep lately..
    when our shipped, the system said it left on 3/13, turns out the trian didn't actually leave until 3/16 so the timing may not be compeletly accurate. On the plus side, it's out the door and on its way. You'll love it (and the chicks will dig it, too).

-twylie
    I don't think you need side mirror to drive around in Texas. I drive doorless & mirrorless all the time. The satute says you need one mirror so you can see behind you.(rearview). I would just put the doors on to get inspected, you know how those folks can be.
  • milt721milt721 Member Posts: 83
    Wow, you have a lot of questions. To answer the one directed at me, yes you are absolutely right. The gearing is too high to use the key to stop and start on the street. It's strictly a low-range thing.
    The slack I am talking about happens when I shift from 1st to 2nd and then from 2nd to 3rd. Not near as noticeable in 4th & 5th. Real bad when idling in 1st. If I allow vehicle to idle in No gear it will lurch. Will not travel at a steady pace. I can hear slack or movement in the transmission/transfer case. Making a flunking noise. Only in 2wd. 4wd is o. indicating slack in x-fer case chain. Dealer says not to worry, I can't stand it. Regarding the leak in the back end, it is not related to the soft top. They did not seal the tub good at the factory. I plugged the gap with TV sealant. OK now. Still need to get front miff. pinion seal fixed.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    yellowman
    You don't have to drill to relocate your mirrors. They have several different options for this. check out www.quadratec.com
    Any of those would be cheaper than the safari door option.
    You can have them temporarily put where your doors mounts or permanently off the windshield hinge. The passenger mirror is hard to use with this setup.

saenzski
    I also drive around door less and mirror less. I don't know what the law is here. I just know cops have better things to do than to mess with me about it.

loseit
    I try to keep my windows in my garage, but I just stand them up behind the seat. I wouldn't want an amp under my back seat. I use that area without the seat and would worry about it getting wet also. Just something for you to consider.

convert2
    I wouldn't doubt CJs were made better. I think lots of things are made poorly these days. There also seems to be some QA problems with Jeeps. Some Jeeps are fine and some have quite few problems. Your Jeep should be under warranty, take it in for the front diff. If your service sucks at that dealer you may want to check around for a better one. It can make a huge difference.
    There is a TSB that finally came out on the manual trannys. I know it covers 00s but I don't know about 01s. You may want to check these two sites. I doubt the info is out yet. I will see if I find the info I have on it.
    www.alldata.com
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
    Sorry for the confusion of my last post. I did not use the spell checker correctly.
    I don't know that CJs were all that well made, esp. in the last years of AMC. I know quite a number of people who had CJ-7s that spent a lot of time in the shop
    Heya

Well, I think you're right. I looked at Quadratec and I think the easiest thing would be to get QuickMirror I's. Although they're kinda ugly, only coming in silver/chrome, the guy at Quadratec said they'd install in 5 minutes with no drilling. Perfect for what I need them for. Looks like I'll be able to go doorless after all! Thanks for the advice.
  • ckingsburyckingsbury Member Posts: 44
    You have got to be kidding me, cars in general today are order(s) of maginitude better in quality terms than they were 15 or 20 years ago. Fuel injection alone has eliminated a whole category of carb problems. Tire failures are rare and almost never more than an inconvenience. Problem counts have been falling for many years, thanks largely to the standards set by our Japanese friends.

I will agree that sheet metal has become thinner in many places, or been replaced altogether by plastic. This often makes those older cars look and feel sturdier than modern counterparts. But in many cases this is false; modern engineered structures are often lighter and stronger. In many other cases, manufacturers were forced to shave pounds off to help their CAFE ratings, so blame the government for that one.

And don't forget that modern cars contain dozens of advanced systems like power steering, ABS, etc. that didn't exist "back then." These may cause problems but most people accept that in return for the convenience they offer.

-cwk.
    I totally agree with the above post, and so does the data. There was a study released last week to the effect that American cars are now about at the level of reliability that Japanese cars were 10 yrs ago, and of course the Japanese keep pushing the standards up. I have had ONE thing that needed to be fixed under warranty in the 3 years I've had my TJ. One reason warranties are longer than they use to be has to be that the manufacturers are confident they won't have too many problems.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Try sitting on the hood of your Jeep having a beer with some friends in the driveway on a Saturday after you get it cleaned up from a morning romp with friends through the swamps and trails.

You used to be able to do that. Doubt it now...
    to echo the comments a few posts up... Maybe I can't sit on the hood without denting it, but I'll take my chances in a new TJ in a crash situation ANY day over my chances in a CJ. Airbags, knee bolsters, better designed crumple zones, seatbelts, etc. are the kind of things that make it possible to hang out with your buds if you're ever in a real accident. I have an MGB that is a blast to drive, but is it as safe or as reliable as a Miata? No way, but that's the trade off. Older cars have a nostalgia you can't get in newer ones, but as daily drivers, they sacrifice much in terms of livability and safety.

Sasquatch, did you get that Kia yet?

-twylie
    Are they serious about the KIA? Why not get a Jeep liberty, it looks like a KIA. At least it has the Jeep name on it.

Just my 2 centavos
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hey, everyone! Here it is Friday night, and poor old tsjay is still at the paper mill! Bummer!

We are doing a trial run of a new grade of paper, and I have to keep an eye on it.

I hope when I get home there will be lots of posts to read.

Somebody stir the pot!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • shotgundanshotgundan Member Posts: 8
    WOW what a wonderful ride. She arrived last evening and I drove her home. The drive was approximately 45 miles. No problem cruzin on the interstate at 75 MPH. The Sahara was absolutely the most. The Mrs. and I are planning on some driving this weekend to who knows where. She drove it tonight for the first time and was really excited. The sound system with the CD and powered subwoofer really does sound good. I can see where we need to do some work on the front speakers. I looked her over and found no paint flaws or any thing noticible but will give her a good going over this weekend. You were right tsjay the jeep is the way to go. Have a nice weekend and yes, I have hugged my jeep today and yes it felt nice.......
    CONGRATULATIONS!

Glad your Jeep came in! I know you are on cloud nine. Ain't nothin' like a new Jeep, is there?

Have fun with her and keep us posted on your good times. Post a link to some pics!

Sounds like your break-in philosophy is a lot like mine. Pretty much drive her like you plan on driving her over the long run. Just don't hold a high speed too long or get carried away and drive too fast. Remember, you're in a Jeep, and you definitely don't want to have to make emergency manuevers. After 500 miles, I wouldn't worry about holding freeway speeds for a long time, but for the first 500, I would recommend that you don't do it.

HAVE FUN!

tsjay

Hey, Guy, do me a favor? I looked in the Meet the Members board to get the details of that new Sahara, but, apparently, you haven't posted your particulars there.

I have been trying to get everyone to post their personal info and the details of their new Jeep in there. I ask only that you post the personal info that you are comfortable with: name (first name only, if you don't want to post your full name), at least the general area where you live, email address, a little about your family, and stuff like that.

Then, of course, every stinkin' detail about that Jeep! Talk dirty to us!

I got your email on March 13th, when you told me that you had just ordered that Sahara. You must have gotten delivery in real quick time! When did you actually order?

You didn't give any details about the Jeep in your email. Spill your guts! (In Meet the Members, please).

Will all of my good Jeep buddies please do that Meet the Members thing for me, if you haven't already?? Pretty please?

tsjay

Hey all

I noticed tsjay mention that it's not a good idea to drive freeway speeds consistently for the first 500 miles. Any reason for this? Any other first-few-miles suggestions?
    I'm sure that there are about as many diferent break-in philosophies as there are new car buyers. It would be just about impossible to prove which technique is the best.

The extremes range from strict adherence to the owners manual instructions (don't drive over 50 MPH for the first 500 miles) to "petal to the metal" right off the dealer's lot.

I have broken in MANY new vehicles, and I take a sort of middle of the road approach. (No, I don't drive down the middle of the road until the vehicle is broken in.) :)

I DO go over 50 in the first 500 miles. I took Thelma up to about 80 or 85 MPH a couple times, but I didn't hold that kind of speed for long- just a few seconds. I think for the first 200 miles, I probably didn't go over 70 MPH.

I did try to vary my speed during the first 500 miles, like they recommend in the owners manual.

Here's the thing, though. You are getting the SE, so you will have the four cylinder engine. That engine is going to be working harder at the same speeds that I would be driving in Thelma, so I think that you should take that into consideration.

If I drove Thelma up to 80 or 85 MPH, you would be working your engine about as hard by getting up to 60 ot 65 MPH. That's what I don't understand about the owners manual- they don't make a distinction in their instructions between the 4 and the 6 cylinder engines.

Also, they don't warn about lugging down your engine, which I think can be just as harmful as driving too fast. (Lugging down an engine is shifting too soon and putting the engine in a bind, in case you are not familiar with the term.)

I have never hurt an engine with my method of breaking it in. I have never had one that used oil or did anything that would indicate that I had abused the engine.

I think you can pretty much "listen" to your engine and know what it likes and doesn't like.

Hope you get that baby soon!

tsjay

Hey, Man, thanks for your post in Meet the Members, and welcome to the group!

Saudi Arabia, huh? I'll bet that IS a perfect plave to have a Wrangler! How long are you going to be over there? Is it expensive to ship a vehicle over there, and are there any major tariffs or taxes that you will have to pay?

I'll bet this group is a good way for you to keep up with what's going on in the Jeep world. You ought to know what kind of deal to expect, if you have been reading the posts in here. You probably know that the Wranglers are often being sold at invoice and that you get a $500 rebate on top of that, so that you effectively buy your Jeep for $500 below invoice. I think that Atlanta buyers have to pay some kind of stupid advertising fee, though.

Would they just ship your Jeep directly to you in Saudi Arabia, or would you have to come back to the good old USA to take delivery and arrange shipping yourself?

tsjay

congrats guy on getting your jeep..
    i'm sure you will love it.
    PLus you got your wife involved too.
    maybe your wife should talk to mine.
    Now you have to find a name for your jeep.
    i'm sure tsjay can help ya get a name.
    Take care
    Saharanut
    Terry
    What would you guys think about using Meet the Members as a substitute for Edmunds Profile? We would still have our Profiles, but I mean that we could expand the info in Meet the Members.

If they would allow us edit priviliges with no time limit, then we could update our info as things change.

I would like for there to be a sort of template for our posts, which would prompt us for info. This way we wouldn't forget to include something when we post. We could have the option of leaving something blank, if we didn't want to share the info asked for in a particular section.

They could leave room for a long "remarks" section, so that in addition to the info that we are prompted for, we could include a long commentary.

I would be glad to help in designing the form for the template, as far as what info to prompt for.

Wouldn't it be nice to know just where to go to get someone's email address (assuming that they are willing to publish it), or to get a link to their web site, or to see if their Jeep came in yet, or to see if they have done their mods yet, etc., etc?

Well, Brothers and Sisters, what do you think?

KarenS, would this be feasible?

tsjay

Great idea guy!!..
    i'm in...just let me know if i can help ya..

snut
    terry
    Thanks for the info in Meet the Members. So, you have a '53 and a '43? Have I seen pics of those, or am I just imagining that? I KNOW that I've seen your pics of the '99 and the '00. Did you ever post any links to pics of the old guys?

Are they valuable as collectors items? Have you restored them?

tsjay

Hey, Bro, are you ok? Haven't heard from you in ages! I hope nothing is wrong. Please post a message.

Did the General ever show up? Let us know what's going on.

tsjay

• onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    Hello,
    I need to take some pictures of the old boys. I have a picture of the newer Jeeps posted in the photo gallery, but none of the old ones yet. My grandfather and his brother-in-law used to buy old Willys Jeeps in the hope of starting a dude ranch in the south central area of Colorado and using the Jeeps to allow visitors to roam around. Well, his brother-in-law had a heart attack, so my grand father sold most of the Jeeps but kept several. My father grew up with them and picked some up along the way and I have been raised with Jeeps. I drove the 53 in high school, as well as an MGB and picked up the 43 while in college. I plan to restore the 43 to its former glory, while I plan to heavily modify the 53. The Jeep bug runs in my families vains and I am happy to say my wife loves them as well, this is why we each drive a TJ. I will try to get some good pictures as soon as possible. I live in the city and can not keep them here, so when I go out to the country, I will take my digital camera and snap some photos. Hopefully I can get out there the beginning of this week. :)
  • mjsiniardmjsiniard Member Posts: 3
    I am going to keep my jeep in Atlanta. Company pays all the expenses on the Jimmy here, including gas. Repairs can be done here and very cheap but the quality is very lacking.
    TCN's (third country nationals, Bangaladeshi's or Philipino's mostly) do most of the car repair work and they may never have driven or worked on a car before they came over claiming to be mechanics. Same with taxi drivers, often never drove before!
    I have been here 5 years in March and staying another couple but want my jeep for travel when home, 3x's a year. Planning big trip out west in Aug. when I have the whole month off.
    Gotcha. You're a better man than I. No way I could go back over to Saudi and leave a brand new Jeep behind!

Will someone drive her occasionally for you while you are over there? I wouldn't think that it would be good for her to just sit for three or four months at a time without being driven.

What are the details of the Jeep you're thinking about? SE/Sport/Sahara??? Color? Options?

Have you had a chance to check any Jeeps out on any of your past visits home?

tsjay

Hi everyone! As you can see by the flag in the message header, I have moved to Uganda. Man, you talk about heat and humidity!

Thelma loves the jungle. She just plows right through it.

Idi Amin had us over for a visit to check out Thelma Jane. He really liked her, and as surprise for me, he had some of his boys mount a .50 caliber machine gun on her for me.

Well, got to go.

tsjay

• spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Quote:
    "Thelma loves the jungle. She just plows right through it."

You finally coming around to the off-road side of jeeping??? LOL, I'm just giving you a hard time. Glad you love Thelma so much.
    Happy Jeepin'
    Just tracked the ol' Norfolk Southern railroad car my Jeep is on - it's now in Lordsburg, New Mexico (SouthWest corner of the state). Actually, I'm showing it departed from there last night. So it's probably in Arizona right now, near Tucson where I went to grad school. Looks like I might have this thing as early as Tuesday! Good thing, too, because I just had to replace the timing belt on the jalopy I'm driving temporarily until it gets here. Gettin' giddy now...

Mike
    Just playing with the flag feature like tsjay. I'm 1/2 Greek so I figured this one would be appropriate.

Mike

p.s. - hey it didn't work! Maybe it takes a day or so for the new settings to kick in.
    It's showing the Greek flag now. I think you have to log off and then back on if you want it to show up as soon as you post. It apparently changes even after it originally shows Old Glory, though, cause it's showing the Greek flag now on my puter.

tsjay

• jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Ok, I can't be the only one with this problem: When taking the hard top off, does anyone know of a way to secure (or at least hide) a set of golf clubs? If a tonneau cover is the only choice, whats the best to get?