Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Sure sounds like a great time - maybe I'll have to check out the one in San Diego, if I'm around that weekend. It sounds like your playground was more challenging than our trails in Santa Ynez, but then, it also sounds like they set them up while ours were just out on ranch land and were typical of what you actually find in the national forest. Glad you had a good time.
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    How could it get any better?

Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's one happy looking critter.

Ross Allen looks pretty content too. ;)

btw, I stumbled onto some of your old posts over in the archived Oil Filters, whose is best, and Why? discussion. Interesting stuff; may have to ask Shifty to revive that one for some updates.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Laura:

Good for you! Glad you had a good time.

It sure didn't take you long to get that Jeep off the pavement! I know your Jeep appreciates that. :)

Tomster

• Options
    Tanner:

Don't think I even answered your door question in my first reply, did I?

Doors that have never been off or have not been off for a long time can be stubborn. If you have removed the nuts from the upper and lower hinges, then the doors should come off. (Don't forget to slip the limiting straps off of the posts inside.)

You may have to use some PB Blaster and wiggle the doors back and forth to free them up.

In extreme cases, you can even use your bottle jack. Place a 2 x 4 under your door, and use your bottle jack to apply upward pressure. Use common sense, if you have to go this route. That jack will apply LOTS of pressure, so go slowly and make sure you are not distorting your door or anything.

Remember, those exposed threads on the hinges will do some terrible things to your paint job, so be sure you are in control of the door as it comes free from the Jeep.

You can pull the #4 fuse to keep the overhead light from staying on while the doors are off. It could take a few seconds for the light to go off after you pull the fuse. The fuse box is behind the glove box, and the fuse you want is the bottom fuse in the right hand column of fuses, if I remember correctly.

Tomster

• Options
    jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Well, I never would have guessed this, but I could not get my Wrangler in the shop last week, so Saturday I went to Sams and had new tires put on. I got the BFG All-Terrain TA K/O, 31.1050. It needed tires anyway, so I thought I would at least see if that solved the wobble, although I did not expect it to, and really did not want to spoil my experience in getting those cool tires.

Well, long story short - no more wobble! The only thing I can figure is that some or all of the GSAs must have had tread separation, or slung wieghts or something. I know I had the tires balanced at least three times and rotated at least 4 or 5 times and the wobble did not go away. Either that, or they were never rotated, but I remember seeing new weights on the wheels. I'm stumped as to why the new tires solved the problem - at least for now.

There may be a little looseness and wobble when I hit bumps, so there may be something still wrong (maybe the stabilizer is worn out from dealing with the death wobble?), but at least the major problem is solved.

I just hope it does not come back.

By the way, those tires look great. Hope I get good tread life out of them.
  • Options
    Good deal, Jack! Let's hope the tires really were the problem. It wouldn't be the first time that I heard of tires being a factor in death wobble.

You will absolutely love those BFG All Terrains. And, with proper inflation and regular rotation, they will last you a LONG time.

Check your lower control arms up front to see if there is evidence of the tires rubbing on them with those 31 x 10.50's. Some folks have to put washers behind their steering stops to prevent rubbing at full turn of the steering wheel. I didn't have to do that with my Thelma Jane, but it varies from Jeep to Jeep. I'm assuming that you are still on factory wheels with their 5.5 inches of backspacing.

What pressure are you running? I HIGHLY recommend 28 psi, as you should know, if you have kept up with tthe posting in here.

Tomster

• Options
    randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    I don't think I've ever seen three, living, breathing entities so happy together! Love to see a man so close with his four-legged companion!

Now..if you want to read about an "unhappy" camper, see my next post!

Randy and the wounded eXcalibur.....
  • Options
    52 years of age....driving all types of vehicles....and now....with only 304 miles on eXcalibur, I received a rock in her windshield yesterday...on a paved road, no less.

You know I hate bugs (the bastards!!)...but this is driving my OCD to even further heights. Seems like foreign objects are drawn to my girl. I have good comprehensive insurance, so I will get it repaired first thing tomorrow.

Is there something with the Wrangler's aerodynamics that draws rocks to her windshield? I should mention that prior to the actual ding, I received a few "hits" this past week, but no damage until yesterday.

Other than driving with a full tarp on the windshield, which granted, isn't the most safety conscious alternative(!), any suggestions? A bug deflector? A mini-bra with a raised lip? Will that help the air flow WAYYYY over my windshield?

Ever feel like just having a good cry? :cry:

Randy...wahhhhhhhh.....
  • Options
    keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Over the years I've heard hundreds of rock stories. I sweat a friend of mine has no less than five seperate rock chips out of his windshield on his TJ. Maybe the upright shape absorbs more of the impact from the rock?
  • Options
    Mark:

You hit the nail on the head. The Wrangler windshields are vertical, or near vertical, so there is no such thing as a "glancing blow" when a rock hits.

Randy, there just ain't a whole lot you can do that I know of. A bug shield might change the trajectory of a tiny rock, but I doubt it would do any good for the rocks that are big enough to crack your windshield.

If there is a stretch of road that commonly has a lot of loose rock on it, then you will probably have to try to find an alternate route.

I had Thelma Jane's winshield patched a couple times but finally had to have it completely replaced, after the Kamakaze turkey flew into it while I was driving home from work last year.

Do they make turkey deflectors???

Tomster

• Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The Wrangler windshields are vertical, or near vertical...............

You'd think so wouldn't you............... but after a week of driving my other vehicle, which has a truly vertical windshield, the Jeep felt like it the screen rake of a Corvette when I climbed back in yesterday!

I use to believe that the Jeep attracted windshield rocks, but I'm not so sure now. When it was only at a couple of hundred miles in '99, I had a rock thrown up by a passing car that chipped the paint on the windshield frame. At about 3K I got a chip in the glass and resigned myself to always getting windshield damage. However, now at over 60K and never had a rock hit the glass since!

So, I just don't know. However, a bug shield will only protect the front of the hood from rocks.
  • Options
    ...do they make turkey deflectors?

Yep...someone riding shotgun with a 12 gauge! ;)

The stretch of road is simply a 4-lane U.S. Highway that shouldn't have a freakin' rock with eXcalibur's name on it! I only need to travel approximately 4 miles on it for :cry: -ing out loud.

I pretty much knew (during my pity party) the vertical and flat windshield was likely the culprit. Oh, well....at least the first cosmetic ding is now out of the way...it had to happen, so let's get it over with!

Thanks...Randy
  • Options
    ravagerravager Member Posts: 20
    Kinda funny, my daughter just got a job there. :) Destiny?
  • Options
    Thanks, tsjay. I'm going to check the psi and the rubbing - I was wondering exactly what they hit when rubbing - thanks. And yes, I am running the Canyon wheels.

So far, the tires are a lot quieter than I expected (and much quieter than the Get Stuck Anywheres), expecially considering the aggresive tread. They seem to ride real smooth too.

I hope the tread wear is good, because the GSAs only got 36k, and that was with rotating all 5 tires.

FYI, I only got 4 of them for now, and I will buy the 5th at the first rotation. Out the door, with tax, road hazard, free rotation, 2yr towing from BF Goodrich, mounted, balanced, etc. was $541 at Sams Club. And they installed them in 30 minutes flat.
  • Options
    rp05rp05 Member Posts: 20
    Finally, My Unlimited is on it's way, dealer called Wednesday evening letting me know that it had been inspected and left Toledo on Tuesday and the eta was Monday the 13th. I had hoped to take advantage of the $1000 rebate for financing through Chrysler, the dealer informed me on Thursday that offer was done and I needed to come up with another 1000. That news was a bummer!

On Saturday the dealer called telling me there's another rebate of 1000 available if you trade something in. He told me they would sell me a beater for 100 which in turn I could trade in for 1100. I thought that was pretty cool of them. Anyway my top hoist should be here any day and I'm trading the tires in on some BFG AT/KO with a local tire store. The timing is perfect as we are heading to West Virginia on Sunday the 19th. I hope to find somewhere to take her out and play. Tom, I would love to head down to TB with the family and go wheelin with you. I am a newbie to jeeping and would certainly appreciate any guidance.

Ron
  • Options
    koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Hey Keats. Good luck. Are you sure you don't want to change its name to Squeaky? John
  • Options
    ALL RIGHT!

Congratulations, Ron! Hope that Jeep gets here tomorrow as scheduled.

Just bring it on down here any time, Ron, and we'll hit the trails at Turkey Bay. You will need tow hooks, but you most likely are getting them from the factory. Also, it wouldn't be a show stopper if you didn't have one, but it would be MUCH better if you could get a CB hooked up for trail communication. Those hand held jobbers are better than nothing, but just barely. Some of them are OK if you have an external antenna.

When do you think you could make it down here?

Tomster

• Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    My Noble Black Steed had a big stone chip in the windshield for several years before I got another one that cracked all down through the windshield (top to bottom) and has a replacement windshield. GiGi, at 9 months old, has 2 small chips. Luckily the windshields aren't all that expensive - not like those with wiper heaters and radio antennas in them. Friday a bird (think it was a crow) misjudged the car's speed and hit the windshield. The windshield was harder than the bird, so no new cracks (I thought of Tom's incident with the turkey at the time).

We're starting to think about new tires for GiGi - the tires are getting cupped and I'm getting vibration again. Someone asked about cupping when I mentioned it earlier and I never explained - it is uneven wear across the tire. The Goodyear tires have lugs (don't know what the correct term is, but figured that would get the idea across), and on cupped tires, the lugs aren't level - one will be worn more than the one in front or beside it. Makes for lots of vibration and shimmy. I'm not too unhappy - there's 41,000 miles on them so I'm getting my moneys worth out of them. I had figured that I would put about 45,000 miles on in a year, but it looks like this year we'll put over 50,000 miles this year. Interesting, considering that we put only 35,000 miles on the Taco the first year we had it!

While we haven't decided, I'm leaning on getting the BFG AT - that's what we have on the Sport and we've really liked them. The Sport has also had Dueller AT tires on and while I loved them the first year or 2, I didn't think they did very well when they wore down (but then does any tire?). We haven't put enough miles on the BFGs to know what they will be like as they wear.
  • Options
    Tomster, I checked the psi and they set them to 38PSI, so I went down to 32. You sure about 28? I know you did the chalk line test and all, but was that with the hard top on, winch etc.? Or, does the curb weight have anything to do with it? What do you think?
  • Options
    Do remember that the recommended pressure for 30 x 9.50s, which are both smaller in diameter and narrower in width than your new tires, is 29psi...............so 28psi is probably the highest you need to consider.
  • Options
    Okay. Good point. Will adjust accordingly.
  • Options
    Ravager, here I thought Tom and I were speaking code. How did you guess?
  • Options
    John, it's just another example of how even simple modifications like rock sliders can cause problems with your Jeep. In this case we solved it by using another modification. Actually had two examples of that this weekend. Added a simple light hoop and had to compensate that with a different set of tow hooks. These are things that make me very leary of any drastic modificaitons. It's like a snowball...I'm done wiht mods for now, although I would love new bumpers, but it's hard to decide what to get.

So, John and wheels do retired folks look forward to the weekend and get depressed on Sunday night when it's over? * :P
  • Options
    Jack:

Good Old Mac answered your question. But, I just want to add that you should have a MUCH better ride and should feel MUCH more "hooked up" with the road when you go from 38 psi to 28 psi. Also, your wear pattern should be even across the width of the tread at 28 psi, giving you longer tread life.

And, yes, the main consideration for determining optimum air pressure for a given tire on a particular vehicle is the weight of the vehicle. The width of the rim will also be a factor, but the rim width is far less of a factor than the weight of the vehicle.

The tire manufacturer has no idea what type of vehicle the tire is going to be used on, so they just give a maximum pressure and a maximum load. What pressure you use is determined almost entirely by the weight of the vehicle, but it seems that the people that mount the tires just assume that you want the maximum pressure for that tire or something close to it.

Tom

• Options
    bpsjeepbpsjeep Member Posts: 2
    glad to see the tires fixed your problem...i've got a 2003 jeep rubicon with 25,000 miles on it, i just added a bds 3 1/2 suspension lift, 35 x 1250 pro comp tires, with 15 x 10 ar rims,adjustable track bar. I've had this new kit and tires on for about 4 weeks, and i have a serious death wobble at 40 mph. Same thing done several tire rotations, 2 front end alignments, 2 tire balancings, different tire pressures, a bds caster kit and i still have the same problem. I'm frustrated and tired of doing things that arent working, do you have any suggestions.......desperate in Danville---bpsjeep
  • Options
    rp05rp05 Member Posts: 20
    Tom,
    I've got the factory tow hooks and a handheld for now, at least it has an external antenna. What weekend day would work best for you and how long do you go out for? I'd like to head down on a Saturday go wheelin and lodge somewhere (perhaps camp) and head back the next day.

Ron
  • Options
    Ron:

I think you would be looking at about an eight hour drive, so you would do well to come down Friday, if you could, and wheel all day Saturday. You could head home Sunday. If you wanted to, we might wheel half a day Sunday, so you would be getting in more wheelin' for the amount of driving you would be doing to get here and back.

I go just about every Saturday and can usually go Sunday too. It's usually one day or the other, but if you come all the way down here and want to wheel both days, then let's do it!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

There are all kinds of campgrounds in LBL, so you shouldn't have a problem there. Wranglers Camp is mainly for horse people, but anyone can stay there, and Jeepers often do. They even have little cabins to rent, There are bath houses, and there is even a little restaurant.

Let's do it!

Tomster

P.S.

Can't remember... have you checked out my website?

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/
  • Options
    letdolphinletdolphin Member Posts: 37
    Tom

I think it didn't take me as long as it would have due to this board. It is a great thing and amazing to see what the Jeep is capable of. I can say I have always loved cars and driving but this is a WHOLE new type and I am loving it.

Laura
  • Options
    Laura:

Yep, Jeeps are truly one of a kind. And they are the most fun vehicles in the world.

Think you might be able to make over to Turkey Bay sometime? I would be glad to show you around my "home" wheelin' area.

Tomster

• Options
    letdolphinletdolphin Member Posts: 37
    Tom

I am going to try ... I have a pretty busy schedule ... wish I would have known what I was buying and I would have cleared it :)

Laura :)
  • Options
    99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Mac, is there anyway you could re-post the picture that was in post #17190
    I meant to save that post earlier, but forgot. The post is still there, but the photo is gone.

-Dan
  • Options
    That link appears to have gone now, but here's another (rather over exposed) pic courtesy of 4x4wire.com:

The stop bolt and locknut are welded together, so remove them as one piece and fit washers as necessary under the locknut.

Edit: Here's a better one in closeup, courtesy of stu-offroad.com (an excellent site):

• Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    If you want to help make sure DW doesn't come back, make sure all your connections are tight, like the clamps on your tie rod ends, drag links, etc. If you can notice any play in these places or can twist the bolts by hand, then you should tighten them down.

I've noticed a few cases where some bushings have worn out at the bolt inside them had lots of wiggle room, and that created the DW.

THe BFG AT's should last you quite a while. I have about 12,000 on mine and I am pretty sure I have over 3/4 tread left... I also have a few chunks missing from my outer treads from my February trip at TB. :) Most of THAT damage was caused when I got stuck in Dog Leg.

-Paul
  • Options
    Ron:

I checked Mapquest, and your trip is not as bad as I thought it would be. Mapquest says five hours and thirty-six minutes. That ain't too bad, huh?

Come on down!

Tomster

• Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I was experiencing more of a shimmy than a wobble, but it too was eliminated when I replaced the Goodyears with the Dunlops.
  • Options
    gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    My new 2005 Unlimited seems to have some engine claning noise when I slowly accelerate around 45-55 MPH. It occurs when my automatic trans shifts into the top gear. The RPM's then drop to about 1,500, and the engine starts clanging like the pistons are rattling, or something... kinda sounds like when I got some bad gasoline in one of my other cars.

It's almost like the top gear near needs to be running at a higher RPM, because when I get up to 60 MPH it go's away, but comes back when I get back down to the 44-55MPH range.

I took it into the shop for this, and well as a few other "new car" touch ups".... Was just wandering if anyone else has experienced this, and know if it can be fixed?

P.S. The car dealership gave me another Unlimited to drive while mines in the shop, and it does the same thing... engine clangs around 45-50MPH.

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated!

Scott
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Does anybody out there have an idea how much the hard top on my 95 Wrangler weighs? Somebody told me 140 pounds which sounds reasonable. I'm working on developing my own hard top hoist and I want to be sure the hooks can hold. My goal is to do this for under $50.

On that thought, has anybody out there developed their own hoist system? The only thing I am having a problem finding is an appropriate hook. I don't want to use something that will damage the hard top so the average S-hook won't cut it. I think something flat is in order here. My fall back position is to make the hook from black steel pipe and the appropriate fittings.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Scott:

Sounds like it's just shifting a little too soon into overdrive. This puts the engine in a strain and that's the noise you are hearing most likely. Just some pinging.

One thing you can do is just put the tranny in the position that locks out overdrive. It's common on automatics with overdrive to have a position that keeps the tranny from shifting into overdrive. I think there is usually a "D" and then a "D" with a circle or something. You can use the overdrive position when you are not in town and you really want the Jeep in overdrive, like out on the highway.

The tranny may "learn" not to shift so soon after you have driven the Jeep for a while. I think most automatics are computer controlled nowadays, and the computer adjusts the shift points based on data it collects.

Mac?????

Tomster

• Options
    myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    I am looking for an aftermarket nerf bar (for my wife to step in) for a 2005 sport w/ 4" skyjacker lift. I also have the warn bumpers. I am wanting this to look good but i am also wanting it to be functional for a rock crawling.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    If you want nerf bars and plan on rock crawling, I'd suggest something like what I have. I have the Toys by Troy ultimate sliders. The do not reduce clearance, they protect the lower rocker panels, protect under the tub, AND they provide a step for my wife.

Other makers include Rock-it Man, Shrockworks, Jeeperman, A to Z Fabrication, and others. Prices will range between 200 and 300 for a set.

-Paul
  • Options
    myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    That is exactly what I was looking for but I just couldn't find it.

Thanks
  • Options
    just let us know. :) I'm sure several of us could point you in a few directions.

-Paul
  • Options
    One thing you can do is just put the tranny in the position that locks out overdrive. It's common on automatics with overdrive to have a position that keeps the tranny from shifting into overdrive. I think there is usually a "D" and then a "D" with a circle or something..............

There's a switch for overdrive on the '03 and later. However, this is something that software should take care of.

The sound is almost certainly that of pre-ignition, often called 'pinging' or 'pinking'. In a manual transmission this normally occurs when changing up too early and the engine is allowed to lug. You shouldn't have to think about it in an automatic.

gsyoung1960, you need to speak to your dealer 'firmly'! ;)
  • Options
    gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    mac24 & tsjay, thanks for the insight. You guys hit it on the head... it seems like the auto trans is shifting too early. It's really more noticable when the A/C is running.

I took it into the dealership today. I'll give them a call to see how they've addressed it... I stay on them and get this fixed!

Thanks again for the advice!... you folks are a great help!

Scott
  • Options
    Keats, I am happy for ya. So all the noise is gone? Squeaky would have been such a kool name.. Sunday night is interesting. Its a super feeling knowing that you don't have to work on Monday morning and instead I put the top down (around 7:00 am or whenever) , select a lure and drive to the Connecticut River (4 miles) to cast for Stripers, listen to my A.M. talk show, drink coffee and swap lies with the bunch I hook up with at the river. The Jeep (Rosie the Red Devil) is always a big hit. Its amazing how many people say, "I always wanted a Jeep". Thats one "p" in Striper by the way. Actually, thats the only thing I try to schedule for the week:) Its a big change, especially for men I think, but all you need is a Jeep, good friends, supportive family, hobbies and a love for life. Tom does have me missing a dog in my life. Great pic of him and RA and Thelma Jane. Look at that smile on his face. I'm curious-- the Dreaded Death Wobble seems to arise every so often in the posts and I feel badly for those who experience it and have to find a cure. Mac and Tom are very patient and knowledgeable and willing to assist folks. Do you (or anyone) think that the wobble seems to happen more on Jeeps with mods (larger tires, lifts,etc) than those left stock? Just curious. What bumpers are you looking at? Go Easy, John
  • Options
    Hi davids1 - You might check out the link below for an idea using 2x2 lumber piece to support the rear of the hard top. Personally, I ended up paying $143 for a manual IMC hard top hoist (I think the website is removabletops.com). I hope this link gives you some ideas to try a home-brew style, though...Good Luck!

Stu-Offroad.com hardtop storage idea
  • Options
    John:

Death wobble is DEFINITELY more common among modified Jeeps. Heck, until recently, I never even heard of it happening on a stock Jeep.

Steering geometry is pretty touchy, and putting a lift on a vehicle changes that geometry. The front tires have to be able to go over bumps, turn either direction, and return to straight on their own after a turn. The right balance of castor, camber, and toe-in have to be maintained.

I don't know what exactly is going on during death wobble, but it seems like there is some force trying to pull the front wheels to the right and an opposing force trying to pull them to the left. If these forces get into the right rhythm, then you get death wobble.

Tom

• Options
    99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    great pics, Mac. Thanks for hunting those down. :shades:

-Dan
  • Options
    Thanks Tom. Do you think that larger tires and no lift could also cause DW? Its definately something for those wanting a lift to think about and perhaps larger tires should cause some thought before purchasing. Rosie had 10,100 miles on her in Sept of 04 when I made the purchase. She now has 24,300 miles and has never had a problem. Knock on wood.. Still stock except some tasteful cosmetics:) Amazing what a stock Jeep can do off-road. I still have the 225 Wrangler GSA's on the 15x 7.0 wheels.( Only stuck once in deep mud).My '49 CJ2A with flat fenders, split windshield, top mounted wipers and a side mounted spare (missing) had skinny, short, knobby tires but could go anywhere. Anywhere but the highway. Wanting to move up in tire size but I may have to stop reading posts to make the move. It seems the more people do mods to vital areas the more problems they have, which you explained very well. Go Easy, John