Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Thanks! I might have to check with my vet about getting Ross Allen on that stuff. I really can't see any difference in the amount of limping he does with the Rimadyl or without it. Maybe that new stuff is what he needs.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • I got my Jeep back yesterday, with most of the vandalism repaired. Just waiting on delivery of the rear passenger quarter window. Auto Club insurance was surprisingly helpful. I tripped 1700 miles today, and in what I hope is a move of good karma, had a long discussion with a guy in a super market parking lot thinking about getting a Wrangler. I'll post some pics as soon as the new window comes in and I get her washed.

More good news: Governor Arnold repealed the California car tax, and it's retroactive! I should be getting a check in early '04.

-Mike
  • Been catching up on posts. Was struck by the new stretch Jeep Unlimited. While searching the web for it, I also found...

The Jeep Rescue
    Jeep Compass
    Jeep Journey
    Various Jeep Willys II concepts
    And...the new '04 Jeep Wrangler Willys X.

The Willys X is on the jeep.com site.

Also listed, new Columbia edition Jeeps (Columbia parka included). And it looks like they might have revoked the CD as being standard on the Sports????

-Mike
    Glad the repairs are going so well, but it's still a shame that you are having to go through all of that.

Good to hear from ya.

Tom

• guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    Maybe DC is seriously going back after the military business with the additional capacity. Our government could probably acquire 4-5 Unlimiteds for the price of one H-1 Humvee.
  • At the 2004 Detroit auto show, Jeep is showing an H2-sized Jeep with removeable doors, fold down windshield and a 5.7L Hemi.
  • I was just about to say something about how quiet it's been...

Gah. Sadly, no news... according to the dealer my baby is still awaiting scheduling. To steal a line from The Simpsons - I didn't think it was possible, but this waiting both blows and sucks at the same time. ;-)

Andrew
  • As for me, nothing much is going on. I had that tranny on ebay, but someone wanted it worse than I did. Otherwise, pretty dull around my place.
  • for all you new Jeep owners and those that have somehow escaped so far.

That cute little Jeep windshield is nice and flat and sits at pretty near a 90 degree angle. That means there is zero percent chance that the pebble headed your way will glance harmlessly off the windshield. Instead you will hear a resounding "thwack." Now you can start looking around for the new little star that has been added to your windshield.

Waste no time and get yourself down to the local glass chip repair place and get it filled before it develops into a long, long crack. My insurance will waive the deductible to have the star repaired. They prefer this over replacing the windshield after a crack develops.

I use Novus, I don't know if they're nationwide. From my experience, avoid the many fly-by-night operations that go in and out of business at light speed, even if they do offer you a free trip to Hawaii.

I just got one repaired and it only took about 20 minutes. My '91 Jeep has been in for windshield chip repair many, many times. That is my long-winded contribution to the town hall meeting.
  • With so many Jeep accessories, there has to be one!
    Geepers, you sure got that right! Thelma Jane had a chip repaired just a few weeks ago, and now she has another one that needs to be fixed.

Don't know how it is other places, but I THINK it's a state law in Ky that insurance companies fix windshields with no deductible. Whether it's a law or not, it is VERY common around here that people can have windshields repaired/replaced with no deductible applied.

I would prefer to have a chip fixed rather than to have the windshield completely replaced. There's a risk of getting leaks when the entire windshield is replaced. Also, you could end up with stress cracks. Even some Jeeps from the factory had this problem with stress cracking the windshields. Apparently, if they don't get the new one installed just right, this could happen.

Tom

• 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    Nothing new to report from the Evergreen State, just more snow in the hills and mountains. I drove my Jeep about a week ago when we had about 4 inches of the white stuff at my house. Unfortunately, it only lasted about 12 hours.

Other than that, she's been parked in my garage recovering from a muddy event a couple of weeks ago. I volunteered my services at a local SCCA Rally as a recovery vehicle. The course was a windy dirt track that had turned to mud from rain storm after storm. The cars racing were mostly AWD audi's, Sube's, Toyota's and some FWD VW's.

Inevitably, people went off course and got stuck. We even had one of VW's go so far off course he got wrapped up in a barbed wire fence and one very solid post (ouch!). He started a little vehicle fire, so my trusty Jeep got to play fire truck by getting out there quickly with additional extinguishers.

The Jeep did a great job pulling these cars back on course and even all the way back to the pit area. Of course, having some BFG Mud Terrain tires helped too.

Cleaning up after all that mud was no fun. I don't mind a dirty Jeep, don't get me wrong. But I don't like to leave large amounts of mud stuck on her to dry. While cleaning the underside, I noticed I 'scooped' up a lot of mud above the center skid plate. The space between the skid plate and tranny/t-case was packed solid. That was challenging (an messy), so say the least, to clean out.

Keep on Jeepin'
    -Pete
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    My Noble Black Steed is now home, probably pining because he had so much activity last week, and now he's sitting at home while we go back to our usual schedule.

We did play a bit in the dirt in Utah, but nothing very hard. One of the dirt roads we found was unexpected - the map I had showed it as being paved. It was paved until the Arizona state line! We had a great time hiking and exploring - I can't wait to go back.

I've been lucky with my windshield - we got a stone chip a couple of years ago when we were driving the Coquihalla Hwy in BC. It still hasn't spread, so I don't think it will.
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    What SCCA event did you attend? I think it might be the same one I entertained thoughts of going to w/my Wrangler. A lot of my Subie buddies were going to attend. I imagined I might be some rescue vehicle for them. :-)

Stephen
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I read the posts previously about the headlights. I want to get brighter lights for the Green TJ. Twylie has the IPF H4 setup. Did you get the new harness setup too or just the light setup? (Do you have the pricing sheet and info where you ordered the stuff? You can email me with the address you should already have. ;)

Does anybody know of other high intensity lighting options for the TJ for a reasonable price?

-Paul
  • 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    I'm not sure what it was called, as I don't really follow any of that. My brother in-law hosts the event and maintains the course. Something happened to his normal rescue guy and I filled in at the last minute. It was down here in SW WA in Ridgefield, right off I-5. It wasn't that big, maybe 30 people?

-Pete
  • ponmponm Posts: 139
    MY buddy who does custom suspensions and roll cages is having an open house for his new location on sunday december 7. Anyone from the st. louis, MO area should come or if you feel like driving. There is going to be a slow crawl competition and more. Free food! Also, you can see the mural of flames I painted in his shop. There should be a lot of jeeps there, I think he is expecting around 300-400 people. If anyone wnats the info I can post it up tomorrow. take care-scott
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I used the IPF H4 lenses and also went with their "special" bulbs, although I think standard H4 Halogens from the parts store would work just as well for less money. The key to the better lighting seems to be the lens itself. The E-Code lenses like the IPF and Cibie have a very sharp cut-off with a rise to the right shoulder of the road. Beam pattern is very even across the vehicle. IPF has recently changed its lenses to be DOT approved (addition of alignment nipples), but I have not heard any reviews of the new design to know if it is as good as the non-DOT approved variety. The Cibie lenses are more $, but are suppose to offer less beam separation from Lo to High.

I did not upgrade my wiring harness, since I stayed with stock wattage bulbs. In the event you go with a higher wattage bulb, I would suggest that the bypass harness is mandatory. The factory wiring is not designed to carry as much current as the higher wattage bulbs can draw. If you're handy with electrical, you can make a bypass harness with about $5 in wire and a couple of standard relays.

I really like the upgraded lighting for the back roads I live on. If anyone wants the vendor name where I bought mine, email me (addy in profile). Great prices and super customer support.

-twylie
    Have you guys tried the silverstars?

I can't justify the price of the Magic J's though the afterglow is too cool. :)

-Paul
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    I had them on my WRX. For the price, they weren't bad and I did notice a difference over stock although not as much as the mfg would have you believe.

Stephen
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    If you're looking for performance rather than appearance, take a look at the 'E' version of both Cibie and Hella. Twylie gave a good post earlier.
  • Tom - Glad to hear you are still beating Thelma's corners around!! She is probably in need of full body armor now :) How did that Timberwolf CJ go in the mud? I looked like it just had a pretty big body lift and not much ground clearance under the skid, so I imagine you did about as well in the mud as it did.
    Think again! :)

That guy had 35" Superswampers and was locked front and back. No way I could keep up with him.

It was just a lousy day... the mud ruined things. He has a pretty nice place to play there, but it needs to be dry when ya go.

I hope we can go back sometime when the conditions are better.

Tom

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I've got the Silverstar replacement bulbs in my Explorer and my wife's car. They are better than stock bulbs (whiter, cleaner light), but not nearly as good as the light thrown from the E-code lenses. If you're looking to save a few bucks, try one of the E-code lens housings with H4 bulbs from a motorcycle shop. Probably about $80-90 total, vs. 35 for the Silverstar bulbs alone. Worth the extra money IMHO.

-twylie
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I like the Cibies and Hellas. I prefer the Cibies but a friend at a local shop gave me a good deal on the Hellas. And besides, I figure you should use German lights on a German SUV, right? ;) You can keep the stock harness so long as you use stock wattage bulbs. Upgrading the lights and speakers have made my TJ safer AND more enjoyable.
    People, I am gonna be climbing the walls! I didn't get to wheel last Saturday, since I didn't have a wheelin' bud, and the weather was so crummy that I was afraid there wouldn't be anyone at Turkey Bay, if I drove all the way down there and took a chance on hooking up.

Now, this Saturday I have to work! Guess it would be too sloppy at Turkey Bay to do any good wheelin' anyway... rain again! Wet conditions just ruin the wheelin'. You can still go, but the "fun" things are best not attempted when the ground is muddy.

Oh well, maybe I can hang in there another week. Guess I'll have to, huh?

Tom

You could get sick during the week... :) That'd cure that problem. :) hehehe

-Paul
    Well, I talked to my financial advisor ;) and discussed with her the benefits of upgrading the lights in the TJ. She didn't see the point of replacing lights that worked fine, but she was reminded of doing something similar. She agreed.

I ended up ordering IPF 920H replacement lenses and the Magic J H4 bulbs with the green afterglow to match the green TJ. I also ordered the IPF 968 lamps for fog lamps. I won't be using the stock fog lamp wiring, but this TJ doesn't have it anyway. :) I'll mount the switch somewhere nice. If y'all want photos, I'll take some while I do the mods and put them up on my Webshots for ya. Let me know if you want to know where I got this stuff and I'll send ya an email. I don't use my Yahoo mail often and I can't give out my work email here.

I'm also hoping to order at some point the blue afterglows for our Grand Cherokee. :) She doesn't know that yet though. :) hehe

-Paul