Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• dmacedmace Posts: 7
    Thank you Tom,
    And a big ol' jeep wave back at ya from Texas! I loved reading your story. How did you come up with the name Thelma Jane? I love it. She's a great looking jeep! My husband wants me to wait for the lease to be up on the GC but I do have the bug and I have a hard time getting my mind off the wrangler. One jeep dealership said I was crazy to give up the GC for the wrangler. Can you believe it? Pretty much lost me as a customer. I've been reading the posting and they have been extremly helpful. Like I said in my profile, my son had a wrangler and oh my gosh, it was sooo fun to drive. One thing he told me before I even got behind the wheel was about the wave. Told me I had to wave at every single jeep I saw. After I'd get back he'd ask me if I waved. He told me he'd find out if I didn't, cause at that time he had the only yellow jeep in the area. I had a blast. Waved at every single jeep. Want my own, 5 speed dual tops. I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks Tom,

Dee
  • Some years back, when my folks were in their 70's, their Honda got smushed. Jeez, now they had to finally ride in my Wrangler. I suppose I waved three or so times to other Jeeps without much thought. I don't remember her exact words but my mom who was in the front asked me what was going on. I told her we had to wave at other Jeeps and gave her a quick lesson on recognizing another Wrangler. She had a ball.

Pa, riding in the back, said "Hey, that's a good sounding engine."

I guess the GC folks don't do the wave, eh?
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Not only are there other women Wrangler owners, some of us are over 40. I'm the one who insisted on getting the Wrangler back in '98, and after enduring occasional complaining from my other half, who thought it was too small and noisy for a couple of years, he is now thinking that it might be a nice idea to replace the Taco with another one. I'm the one who has been thinking about some type of Subie as a nice compliment for my Noble Black Steed. My husband, on the other hand, is talking about a not-red-or-black Wrangler. Don't get me wrong, my black Wrangler looks really great, but it is definitely hotter in the summer - something to think about in Texas (former resident of Copperas Cove).

smurf6 - that Patriot Blue is a wonderful color! It would have been my first choice color, but they've come out with a couple of new colors I really like. Sounds like you are going to have a nice rig. I have just the hard top, though I really wanted the dual tops when I bought it. My hard top has never been off (no place to put it) and there are only a couple of times when I would like to go topless. This past weekend up in the Sierras was one of them (but not in the frosty mornings!). Keep us informed on your journey to Wrangler ownership.
  • Tom,
    What do you mean you're no mechanic! If you're not you certainly talk a good game. That was a great description of how to work on the diff.

Maybe you should be the Jeep consultant for Klick and Klack on NPR :)

Cam
    Thanks for all the info on the jeep wave. It was great!
    I am lovin this site!

Dee
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    Hey Jeepers bama is still here.
    Family took a mini vacation to Gatlinburg, Tennesse. We took TAZZ up there. Saw LOTS of jeeps there. Some guy even had his top down BRRRR too cold for that in the mountains.
    Tazz did GREAT up there, Just no room for a family of 4 plus lugage.
    WELCOME to all the newbies here, I love hearing about NEW jeeps. Keep us posted on your orders. Still no RUBICON orders out there?
    Ive GOTTA go see one of those. Maybe this weekend.
    KEEP POSTING!!

KEEP JEEPIN
    ROLLLL TIDE
    BAMATAZZ
    I like the SAHARA 5 speed khaki but would rather have the black dual tops. Looking at the web page it only shows it comes with the khaki tops. I was told by one dealership that the khaki top was the only way it came, but another one said no problem they would just order dual black tops. Does anyone know which one is right?
    About those RUBICON'S! We have one dealership here that is loaded with them. They are pretty nice.

Dee
  • likalarlikalar Posts: 108
    Tom, the instructions worked great! I hadn't done this (remove the cover) before, and I really was looking for a drain hole. And yes, a neighbor mechanic gladly came to lend a hand as you suggested. The project was easy enough (after your post) and I feel a bit more confident now about digging in. Thanks!
    Larry
  • I can't access post no. 6999 for some reason. Can someone repost the instructions for obtaining your build sheet?

Thanks,

YoungTurk
    (soon to be TJ owner)
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Wonder why you couldn't get to this post???

Oh well, here it is anyway. Have fun.

#6999 of 7177 This is so cool! by tsjay Oct 23, 2002 (08:36 pm)
    I just learned that you can go to the Jeep web site (www.jeep.com) and request a vehicle build sheet for your Jeep!

I will list the steps that you have to take:

1. www.jeep.com
    2. type in "customer service" in the search window at the top of the home page
    3. in the next window that pops up, click on the second option "how do I contact Chrysler"
    4. in the next window, click on the third option down on the left side "customer assistance-United States" (click on the little envelope icon)
    5. now you are there! fill out the form and at the top, just ask them to send you a vehicle build sheet
    Way to go! Congratulations on getting that fluid changed. Feels good to do some mechanical work on your Jeep, doesn't it? I really think that's part of the "Jeep Thing." I have never learned to do more than just the most basic mechanical stuff, but I enjoy doing it.

This is where a good, experienced mechanic friend or neighbor comes in handy! :) It's especially nice if the guy is a Jeeper too.

You are most welcome, Larry. Glad my post helped ya.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Well, my good Jeep buddies, old Tom is now the proud owner of a new digital camera. I have never owned one before, but I have been wanting one for a long time.

I got a Olympus D 550 Zoom, 3.0 mega pixels. Now, I just need to figure out how to use it. :)

I have taken a few practice pics, and it's obvious that I have some learning to do.

I'm halfway decent with my 35MM camera, but I need to learn which settings to use with that digi camera.

I hope to get it all figured out soon, so that I can post some wheelin' pics whenever I get a good shot or two without having to wait for film processing.

I think I'm going to really like having a digi!

Tom

I will be making payment number 23 on Thelma Jane later today, and it has been a LONG time since I got that deep into the paymemt coupon book on a vehicle. When I signed the dotted line on Thelma Jane, I was buying my THIRD new vehicle in a 21 month period! Obviously, that had to stop. :)

I couldn't always buy a NEW vehicle, but I had a history of trading about once a year going way back over many, many years.

Well, I am still in love with my Jeep, and I have absolutely NO desire to trade. Thelma Jane has cured me of that trading fever.

I am just as excited about her as when I first got her. I am SURE there is not another type of vehicle that I could have bought that would have me so satisfied after two years. I can't see EVER trading my Jeep!

Tom

• anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    You better put a coat of wax on Thelma if you want her to be around in another 10 years, even though that goes against owning a Jeep.

;-)
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    but in my past two Jeeps, I never had any fluids changed but the oil and coolant. the dealer never bothered. first Jeep was a used 95 Sahara, and the second was a brand new 99 Sport. of course, i never put it in 4 wheel drive except on the beach during the summer once or twice, and once or twice in the winter. never actually went "4 wheeling".

all these rear end fluid changes - why? are they necessary for every day, non-4 wheel driving, Jeeps as well?

almost afraid to see the answers i get...
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    tom,

We've had an Oly 460Z for almost 2 years now. I bought it to help me decide if I wanted to spring the $$$ for a nice digicam. Mine's only 1.3 megapix, but it's been a great camera. I found the auto setting works great about 98% of the time, so I stopped fooling with with the manual setting and just started taking pictures. you'll love having a digicam for wheeling trips! One of the cool features of the Olympus and Camedia software is the ability do panorama shots. One from our last trip to Acadia is below (we had to hike this peak, no Jeeps allowed!). I think this one is 5 pictures "stiched" together.

http://www.ewylie.com/images/misc/sgtmtnpan.jpg

-twylie

I would think that the gear oil in a differential on a Jeep that never offroads would be good for a L-O-N-G time. :) Of course, a Jeep that never gets taken offroad would suffer from severe pyscological problems and would need couseling. :)

The main reason that offroading necessitates the changing of the fluid is that water or other contaminates can get into the differential. The differential housings are vented with a hose. The vent hose for the rear diff runs up along side the fill tube for the gas tank. You want the open end of the vent to be as high as possible, so that you don't get it submerged when crossing through mud holes or creeks.

Anyway, I'm not sure you would ever even worry about changing the fluid in the diffs for all pavement driving.

Tom

Trey:

I hope you are still online and come back to this message board. I have questions! We could hook up in Gill's or on AIM.

Nice pic, by the way!

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Great picture! I put together a series of 6 frames taken with a 35 MM camera on slide film and then used photoshop to line up each frame. After many hours and bad words, I decided not to try that again. I gather it is much easier to do with a digital camera. One of these days...