Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    You can replace the linear controls on your '97 with the rotary ones from later models. However, the rotary ones are 100% vacuum/electric whereas yours are partially mechanical. In other words, you need a little more than just the facia controls.
  • What else is needed to do the linear swap?
  • Ok I'm not too proud to admit it, the only damn time I stall is on flat ground? I can't figure it out. If I'm going uphill or downhill, no problem, but flat land is the only time. (came up b/c I was reading old posts again, and there was a string talking about trannies). I guess I'm just giving it too much gas. On hills I use the old hold the break until it pulls then move to the gas.

Oh well still only been 2 days with her and adjusting. Don't worry Tom I don't use the clutch to hold her on hills :)

Does everyone here follow the idiot shift lights? I'm on so many back roads where 4th gear holds a stead 1500rpm and yet it's always telling me to shift to 5th. I did once and the next hill I came to she just didn't want to go up. So now I just leave her in 4th. Out on the flats I'll put her in 5th.

Thanks for the help.

Tony
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Found a 2001 Sahara:
    Auto
    Dan 35 axle (sorry Tom)
    Bestop trail cover and full cover
    black with tan top
    upgraded factory stereo with sub
    dual tops (hard top with a Safari top and hellas)
    fog lamps
    40,000 miles
    VERY clean inside and out, no visible wear
    engine bay very dusty, but only a slight oil mess around drain plug
    2" lift
    31" tires
    Canyon wheels
    Tow hitch to tow dirtbike only

All evaluations are mine and not from a pro mechanic, but tire wear looked normal/even. Tranny had no history or appearance of leaking. Original owner.

Wanting 16,900 for it. Sound interesting?

-Paul
  • It has been a while since I looked at Jeeps but the CJ 5 with a V-8 used to be very popular, hence the higher price. $3,900 might not be to bad. About 5 years ago I bought a 78 Toyota FJ40 for $3,100 and moved to Colorado and sold it for $5,000. I think the older Jeeps, Toyotas and such are in the 3,00 to $5,000 range if not to abused. I mean for anything less than $2,000 it would be a complete piece.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    The lot is still empty and yes, it has a great view. There are a number of new homes going up on most of the few empty lots and real estate values are going through the roof at the moment.

I know what you mean about not being able to take advantage of all these incredible rebates etc. I can't dump the Taco yet either - still owe too much on it. I'm really frustrated over that! If there is any way you can make it work, go for it!

I ended up buying my Wrangler from the dealer in Ontario, but wasn't impressed. Don-A-Vee would have given me a better deal. I've heard good things about the dealer in Lancaster, if you want to drive that far. I don't think much of the dealers in either Bakersfield or Santa Clarita, but have never talked money to either one, so I could be wrong. It just seemed to me that the salespeople I've talked to there don't know much about their products.
    Additional components needed would be an assortment of vacuum hoses and connectors, either an addition to or alteration of the wiring harness, and if I remember correctly, the blend door is controlled by an electric motor on the later models (rather than directly by cable).
    .....the only damn time I stall is on flat ground.........I guess I'm just giving it too much gas........

Nope....... too little gas, or you're letting up on the clutch too quickly!
  • I have a 2002 Sport with the following extras:

Skid Row LCA and engine skid plates
    DC steering box skid plate
    4XDoc rocker and rear end skid
    Kilby gas tank skid
    Seat covers and Husky floor mats

Have now removed the rear end and gas tank skid.

Problems have been:

Several check engine lights caused by me pinching the gas line coming out of the tank when I put on the Kilby, plus Kilby and rear skid rubbing each other.
    Drive shaft, belt tensioner, pulley, belt, water pump have all been replaced under warranty.

The Sport has never stranded me over left me on the side of the road. All the problems have been identified when I took it to the shop.

I have no problem with buying another Jeep in the future and intend to get a diesel Liberty in a couple of years.

Still a happy camper.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    BAMA is back..
     here are my problems with tazz

paint chiping under passenger door
     heater seal leak
     windshield leak
     engine light stays on

all fixed under warrenty

mods:
     seat covers
     polk front speakers
     alpine rear speakers
     kenwood amp
     hood & winshield graphics
     TJ emblem on side
     windows tinted
     30 payments $8500 left for payoff ;)

Keep JEEPIN
    I really should have walked out of the Ontario dealer (they played some games with me and I almost did), but I was tired and wanted to buy something that day. I had found 2 similar Wranglers but saw the one at Don-a-Vee early. I ended up buying an unwind and did a lousy job of talking money. I got a decent deal for a new car, but I should have gone from the point of a used vehicle. I was tired of looking at that point and REALLY liked that particular one. Of course, I had never had a black vehicle before or I would have gone back to Don-A-Vee and bought the white one that had caught my eye a couple of weeks before.

Don't get me wrong - my Noble Black Steed has been worth every cent I paid for it so I'm not unhappy. It is just that I don't like playing all the games that many car dealers play, and Ontario plays them all. I got the impression that Don-A-Vee was less likely to play them. Of course, things could have changed in the almost 6 years since I bought my Wrangler.

oceantoad - So how are things in Central Texas? About the same? Since I can't do anything about the Taco until spring at the earliest, I'm thinking about that diesel Liberty too. I'll be interested in finding out if it will be worth waiting for.

bama - I didn't realize you put the TJ decals on. I've thought about doing that but just haven't done it - I sure like the looks of them.
  • Ignore that upshift light. Just my opinion, but I'll bet almost no one pays any attention to it. I believe it's programmed to indicate shifts for the best fuel economy.
    I figured you were talking to Don-A-Vee - they are one of the (if not THE) largest dealer in the area. I know someone who bought a JGC from them. He was happy with the deal and the lease and ended up doing OK when the lease was over (he traded it in on a Honda instead of turning it in - the residual was lower than the blue book price). I will definitely talk to them when I get serious about buying another Jeep, though they are a long way from me. I just won't go back to Ontario again.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Thanks for the info on the CJ5. I would still prefer a TJ, but I'm trying to either find a GREAT deal on a used TJ (I like that Sahara in post 11293) or find a much older one for a lower price point that I can play with and fix up.

I haven't told my wife about the Sahara yet. I think if she saw it, she'd love it, but would think the 16,900 for it would be too much (I will have to remind her that very little would need to be done to make it the way I want it).

I know Tom will tell me that I need the D44, but I seriously doubt I'll offroad to that extreme, and if I did, I would use an older one that didn't cost that much. :) I'm wanting it for winter navigation, skiing, and driving on trails.

-Paul
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    My recommendation is to keep looking for a used Jeep in good condition. I looked for about 6 months before buying my used 95 Rio Grande about 1 1/2 years ago. I was looking for a 95 or older because I am tall and the 97 and up versions have very little leg room. It was in excellent shape with 94,000 miles, only a small tear at the left seam in the driver seat, a wrinkled front fender from an altercation with a bridge abutment, and non-working aftermarket A/C as a result of the altercation with the abutment.

Got the fender fixed for $250.00. Looks great
    Got the A/C fixed (twice) for about $150.00. Works OK.
    That's about it.
    I think I got a steal.

One thing I noticed when looking for used Jeeps was that most of them smelled like a wet sock. They are often owned by people that don't take very good care of them, so when you find a good one, jump on it.
  • Hey Mac thanks for the word of advice. A little more gas is doing the trick. :)

Tom: I just registered for Gill's so I can get some pics up of Amy that I just took. She's a bit dirty but hey that's what Jeeps are meant for :) I'll get them up here as soon as I can.

Tony
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Good deal! I'll check for those pics.

Also, as geepers already said, forget the stupid shift light. Just ignore it.

I'm pretty sure that what geepers said about it being a fuel economy thing is true. I believe I shift about the time the light comes on, but not BECAUSE the light comes on. It just seems to match my driving style, I guess.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I think the shift light does help you conserve fuel. I've driven MT cars/trucks for many years and had a tendency to shift at higher RPMs (my first couple of MT vehicles didn't have a tach so I shifted by sound). After I had the Wrangler for a while, I actually paid attention to where it said to shift, and my gas mileage did go up (and I was happier in slow-n-go traffic because 2nd gear is so low). It isn't always right - after a while you'll figure out when to shift. Now I ignore it - I can't see the light because I set the steering wheel in such a way that it blocks it.
  • I should be knocking on wood when I post this (knock, knock) but, I have a 2002 TJ that has had zero problems... so far :)
  • Ok let's try this again Gill moved the pics on me, so I deleted the old post.

Well I hope that it works this time :)

Mtngal: I know what you mean about 2nd gear. it's all slow and go around town now thanks to the season so I just get to second keep the engine going a little. It's nice to be able to crawl. Even in my old Corola(auto) I couldn't go that slow.

Tony
    NICE!

I saw those pics on Gill's site. Good job figuring out how to post 'em here.

Hey, did the dealer have those pinstripes put on there, or did it actually come from the factory like that? I've never seen any others with the pinstriping.

Tom

• She actually came to my dealer through a trade with another dealer. They had never seen the pinstripes either and said they would take them off if I wanted too. Since I had never seen any others with it either I decided to leave them on.

Tony
    I have seen dealers have some local guy come around to their lots and pinstripe some of their vehicles. I'll bet that's what happened at the other dealer.

I didn't think they came from the factory with pinstriping. At least I had never seen one with pinstriping, that is.

Once again, SWEET JEEP! I can't believe you got a Rubi! Yeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwww!!!!!

Tom

A guy in an XJ that was wheelin' with us in our group last Saturday apparently broke a tooth on his ring or pinion gear in his front differential. Well, it might have just been his spider gears? His front tires were in the air spinning, and then the Jeep came down all at once. He heard something go "bang" when his front tires caught traction all at once.

The effect of this was that his left front tire would lock up and skid when he tried to go forwards. He could back up a little ways, which would free something up in the differential, and then he could go forwards a short distance before the tire would lock up again.

He disconnected and removed his front drive shaft to prevent damage back in the transfer case, but he still had the locked up tire, since the gears still turn when the front wheels turn. Same thing on a TJ... even in two wheel drive, the gears in the front differential are turning. The front drive disengages at the transfer case, but the front drive shaft and the gears in the front diff still turn. (This is not the case with YJ's, I understand.)

When in two wheel drive, the tires make the gears turn, but when in four wheel drive, the gears make the tires turn, if you know what I mean.

A guy could get lockout hubs, if he wanted to keep the front gears and driveshaft from turning all the time.

Anyway, this guy with the XJ had to pull his left front axle to allow his left front tire to turn. It was quite a job to perform on the trail... not too complicated, but the bolts that held the hub to the knuckle were very rusted, and he had a heck of a time getting them backed out. Once they were out, the hub was pretty tough to get out of the knuckle too. We were very fortunate that another guy in our group had a 36 MM socket for the axle nut. I just bought me one of those puppies today! I don't know what we would have done if that other guy hadn't had one.

It was cold, and there was some freezing rain and some snow coming down during the repair. It was also getting close to dark.

The job was completed, and my bud made it home just fine.

Tom

• 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    If you're in central Washington state, do you ever get over to the Gifford-Pinchot Nat'l Forest around Mt. Adams? Or, will you?

I'm in Vancouver, WA and use the Mt. Adams area as my primary stompin' ground. Once the snow is gone, we should meet up. Maybe even get Stephen in Seattle to join us. I'm also up to heading your direction too. Used to do some wheelin' up around Blewett Pass and Liberty (fun area) back when I was in Ellensburg every weekend.

Have fun with that new Rubi!

-Pete
  • 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    Reading your mods, sounds cool! I too have an '02 X. Did you do the D35 to D44 swap yourself or have a shop do it? How much did that cost?

I'm running 33" BFG MT's (only 10.5 wide) and still stuck with the stock 3.07 gears. How do you like the 4.56 with your 33's? That's the next big mod I would like to do.

Also, when my current MT's wear out I'm thinking of getting new wheels and some 12.5" wide 33's. What backspacing are your wheels? Do they rub on the sway bar when turning?

Have you done a sway bar disconnect? I'm using JKS quick disco's and they are great! But it's easy to rub the front tires when running disconnected. Once I get new wheels with a different backspace that should cut down how much rubbing happens.

-Pete
  • Mt Adams is a fun time. Another great area is just south of Mt. Ranier. Take the forest rd from Packwood to Longmire. Lots of back roads and abandoned forest roads to scare the hell out of your wife. :-) I'll post some pics of the new Rubi tomorrow.

Its funny, after driving the Rubi on a long hall, the wifes liberty feels like driving a Lexus so we have now knick-named it that.
  • nolid5nolid5 Posts: 148
    Nice looking ride! I like the pinstriping too. Definitely give her a unique look. Hope you have lots of fun with her.

Rich
    Sure like Amy, and the pinstripes. I had thought about doing some pinstriping on my Noble Black Steed when I first got him. Since I'm not creative that way, I didn't do anything about it.

Tom - that trail repair gives a person pause when you think about going off-road. It sure helps to be with someone else, especially someone who knows what they are doing. If it had been me, I would have been totally clueless.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    Hope everyone is having a nice holiday season.
    Today hasnt been so good for me.
     My dog(Bear) was run over today & killed. I was just getting attached to that pup. Been a rough day for my 2 kids. Its amazing how attached you get to a pet. I stil have 1 dog (Nikki) a husky.
     Tom Go pet RA for me ;)

Tom, Ive signed back on at Gill's site. Hope to make it back to do some chatting with you guys.

Merry Christmas.
     BamaTazz