Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Yes my computer was fix and it runs great. I really love it! I did some mild off roading last weekend and it was a lot of fun.

Dennis
  • I know I keep asking the same question but I am thinking of putting Kenwood eXcelon speakers in. 4x6's up front ($99.95/pair) and 6 1/2's in the back ($179.95/pair). People keep saying the 6 1/2's will fit but is it an easy fit or do I need to make some mods? Please advise! I really want to upgrade soon. Thanks
  • When I bought my 5 1/4" for my sound bar, I tried to fit the 6 1/2's and the screws wouldn't lined up. I don't think you'll get much of a difference between the two any way.
  • Go for the 6 1/2" speakers in the sound bar - the holes may not exactly match but it is pretty easy just to drill a whole or two to make the fit - also, go to Circuit City or your local stereo shop and listen to the difference between 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 speakers - I spent alot of time doing this - there is a noticeable difference. K-mart sells some good high quality Pioneer 6 1/2 speakers - buy em ($60 or so) - take them home - and see if they fit - with a little work on your part - if not - return for full refund - simply unscrew the speaker cover plate - and disconnect the speaker wire - check the hole alignment - drill new hole if necessary and install. Have fun.
  • Got the 2001 Wrangler brochure yesterday and it looks like the extra ply soft top does not fold very flush to the body. Pictures show alot of frame and fabric exposed. Wondered if the boot accessory would even fit over it.

Also, drove a 4 cyl automatic. What a dog. Absolutely no pick up on the expressway. Had to keep it alnost floored to do 70. The shift from 2nd to 3rd was at almost 5000 rpms. Sounded like it was going to explode. Need an automatic and would love not to spend the $3K premium for the Sport. After the test drive, I don't think I have an option,
  • Is there a maintenance difference between a tan soft top and a black one? I am planning to buy a 2000 Wrangler Sport and am deciding on colors. Does either color hold up better? What is the "life " a soft top?
  • I just purchased a 2000 SE - Manual 5 speed - the power is good, but when I hit 3rd - I hear a ringing almost like gear slop and it cintinues thru the gears until I hit at least 3000 rom or even off - Normal?
  • I don't think the life expectency of the black versus tan is any different. I got the black because my paint is red and all the trims like bumpers, fenders, mirrors and top is black and I personnally like the way it looks.
    It's only a matter of preferences...

Let me give you an advice to keep your plastic windows looking like new for a long time. Never use soap or windex on your windows. Rinse them off with water, let them dry and then use "Pledge with lemon" inside and outside with a very soft 100% cotton rag. NO paper towels.
    Also store them as flat as possible. I store my rear side windows under the back seat. I lift and flip the back seat, lay them flat and then put the seat back in place. There's just enough space betweeen the floor and the bottom of the rear seat. Don't roll them up.
    If you do that, your windows are gonna look like new for a long time.

Dennis
  • I ordered a 2001 Wrangler (Steel Blue, Sport, Dual Tops, I-6, 5-spd) a couple weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone knew of a website where you can check on the status of the order.
  • Hey I have a 97 TJ sport and am wanting to put a 3" lift and Edlebrock IAS shocks. What is the best 3" lift kit to use for a 97 jeep that will be used only for residential driving?

A second question, as far as tires and wheeld go I am currently looking at BG Goodrich all-terrain tires and American Racing wheels. Are these good choices for the jeep. And what are some other good choices to look at?
  • I removed the factory 30 inch Goodyear tires from my 99 Wrangler Sport and replaced them with 31 inch Michelin LTX M/S. The Michelin's are much quieter, got it off the ground further, and I gained about one mile per gallon on fuel mileage. The Goodyear tires started to flatspot after sustained high speeds. I took them off at 12K. I did have to go one tooth less on the speedo gear to make up the inch difference in tire size.
  • I put on a Teraflex 3" lift kit and I am very happy with it. A little more expensive ... but worth the money

I went with 33 X 12.5 X 15 Dunlop Mud Terrain. A little loud, but great for off-road. I also went with the American Racing steel rims ... have been working out great.

I have had the upgrade for about three months .. and would not have done anything different.
  • is not complete. The problem is to find a place to mount that CB inside a small TJ.
    I found the Cobra 75WXST.
    www.electronicsouthpost.com/75wxst.html
    www.hi-techcomm.com/cobra/75wxst.html
    It's perfect for the TJ. Everything is in the microphone. When your done you can just disconnect and store it away in your locking box.

I'm also gonna put a K40 antenna but I'm not sure where I should mount it.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Dennis
  • Hey Blackjeep,
    Did you get your Jeep yet? Is it on the train?
  • I mounted my antenna on the spare tire rack. I have seen them mounted on the mirror and off the side of the hood. Those two spots may be better. If you are in trails though, I like the idea of the antenna being in the center.
    Here is a link to install I used.
    http://home.flash.net/~ffoster/frames.htm
    I am having problems with my setup. I think I just need to tune my antenna. It works just have a high swr rating. I have a 3ft firestick
  • Just bought a 2000 Sahara, can't figure out how to activate light under hood. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
  • I personally don't think an alarm will prevent anybody from stealing your Jeep or your stereo.

Think about it, what do you do if you hear an alarm going off in the parking lot? Usually look away.

I would love to come up with a way of releasing pepper spray, maze and tear gas inside the vehicle when someone tries to steal it. If he doesn't exit the vehicle within one minute, a needle would come out of the seat and puts him asleep for a couple hours. The doors would then become lock and impossible to open from the inside.

Food for tought...

I think I watched too many James Bond movies...
  • I'll be picking up my 2001 Wrangler in a few weeks - Sport model pretty much loaded. With the negative stories I've read here I'm wondering if I've made the right decision! Has anyone had any long-term success stories? I mean 100,000 to 200,000 miles without major problems.

I've wanted a Jeep for as long as I can remember; I finally decided that it was time to get one. Besides, my 92 Saturn with 202,000 miles is running out of steam, and I need a new ride.

I truly hope I don't get a POS. For the money I spent it had better be perfect! Is that too much to expect from a Wrangler??? The only other Chrysler product I've ever owned was an 87 Omni which, other than the 2.2 engine (which after 160,000 miles ran like new), was pretty much junk. I know I can't compare an Omni to a Jeep...or can I?
  • Hi everyone. Went to a dealer today and found a '99 white Sport with 22,124 miles on it. Was previously a lease car, so it's in great condition. It has cruise control, soft top, air, automatic, am/fm/cassette, 30" wheel group, spare, sound bar and full doors. I might have missed something, but that's about it. Edmunds said that it would be $17,000 but Kelley's said $21,000. The dealer's offering $18,950. Is this a good price? What does everyone(except for boggleboes) think? He says that the white has a good resale value. True? Thanks! -alee
  • all wranglers have good resale value no matter what color they are. try to get closer to the price edmunds gave. The only things i would reccomend are get another color (white shows alot of dirt) and the 5 spd(3speed auto saps all kinds of power even though it has the 6cyl). then again that's more personal preference.