Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,957
    You must have one of those Linux batteries in your 'puter. I hear they tend to fail in cold weather. Get the NetScraper out and clean the ice off it ;-)

Welcome back, mayor!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• boredbored Posts: 300
    Only have a lifespan of 5-7 years...so, I guess his is dying...

I know mine is... my computer thinks it's 9:25PM.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    My puter was off because of operator error. :)

It crashed Friday night, and I could only come up in safe mode the first couple times after that.

At some point, it asked me to set the time and date. Well, old Dummy thought the two digits to the right of the month field were for the day of the month, but they were for the year.

So, my puter thought it was 2014, I guess, cause Friday was the 14th, and that's what I put in that field for the year the night it crashed.

Tom
    Thanks to all of you guys for your concern and help during my "puter crisis." Sure glad that's over and I can post again.

Thanks to the others who contributed suggestions also.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    tsjay - glad to hear you are back up on your computer at home. I know about using the work computer - I tend to do that occasionally, like before work and at lunch. How was your weather and did you get out 'wheeling this past weekend?

thebigkahuna - I know all about digging out snow from below the frame. Our snow does that, though I think snow in our area is once again over with for the year. There is snow about a 1000 feet above us making some great scenery for my horseback riding. Because of the soggy stuff some of the easy roads are more interesting - the washouts provide some excitement.

To everyone else out there - I hope that everyone is safe and enjoying whatever 4x4 time they might be getting.
  • kelleyokelleyo Posts: 182
    for an exhaust leak. Since it is not under warranty the cracked manifold is $1000 to replace!!! I am going to try and weld it first. If that does not work then I am getting the Borla Header to compliment my cat back. While it was there I had the new Bestop Oversize Spare tire carrier installed. This piece is sweet http://www.bestop.com/hard_accessories/

It swings out with the door instead of seperatly.

This car is eating all of my money! (better than spending it on my wife!) LOL
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    A lot of the folks at JU are praising the new Banks stainless header. Based on what I've read it appears to be built to a higher standard than the Borla, yet the price is quite reasonable. If and when the manifold fails I plan to replace it with the Banks header-and throw on the Banks cat back while I'm at it. Banks products have an excellent reputation for quality and performance, so it's an easy choice for me...
    Here is an update. Turns out that I was stupid enough to buy an extended warranty from Jeep when I bought my TJ. Well the extended warranty bought me a new Exhaust Manifold!!! It is the new piece with some Flex tube where they had been experiencing the cracking.

$100 deductible (less than they were going to charge for welding)!!

I guess if I keep having problems I will go with a header!
    working as well. I had to have a small Amp installed (under the rear seat) and wired around the sound deck Amp (directly to the sub).

I really like it! Sounds great and I figured out I can replace the speaker easy enough if need be and I still have a useable locking trunk area.
    I haven't had any problems since I got my exhaust manifold replaced spring. It also is the new type and seems to be doing very well. You might be waiting for that header for a long while...
    Hey, Jeep Buddies, I am going to get to meet eARS and Larry18 this weekend! We are meeting at Hot Springs, Arkansas, to do some wheelin' on Saturday.

Alan (eARS) and Larry (Larry18) are people who post here, or at least USED to post here. I am working on them to get them posting again!

Should be a blast this weekend. There's a place called Superlift ORV Park, and that's where we will wheel.

Tom

I agree. In fact the factory piece looks very similar to a header already (tubes etc). I would bet that a header adds minimal performance. In any case I hope I never have to mess with it again (Pepe' got so loud that the neighbors were staring).

I have also heard that the computer chip in the Jeep is a hindrance to getting the most out of performance mods (I have a K&N FIPK and a Borla Cat Back).

Anybody have a performance chip in their 4.0?
    Thanks to all who thought to send us some snow. I do wish that the weathermen could be a bit more accurate. There was only supposed to be a 30% chance of rain and a dusting of snow over 5500 feet. I ran into snow around 3000 feet, it was sticking at 3500, with about an inch at around 5000. Looks like it will be a Jeep day tomorrow!
  • hypehype Posts: 16
    I have a question folks-I have a 2002 Wrangler X and I was planning on doing some of the (routine) maintenance on my own, i.e., oil changes, lube. Will this present a problem to the dealer in terms of my warranty? Any recomendations on how to document? Or do I avoid the whole thing and allow the dealer to handle the maintence until my warranty expires? Thanks fellas.
  • For reasons not related to my Wrangler, I am driving a Chevy Cavalier for a couple of days. It's an anonymous little economy car if you're unfamiliar. I have been unable to control my Jeep Wave reflex though. Nobody's waving back. I can only attribute it to the fact that I'm too low to the ground.

Gary
    No, you don't have to go to the dealer for your oil changes. You can keep a log book to record your oil changes, if you want to. It's a good idea to have such a thing for your own purposes anyway. Keep track not only of oil changes, but also other maintenance or repair items.

If you ever sell your Jeep, that log book might be a good thing to show a prospective buyer. But, WHY would you ever sell your Jeep??? :)

Good luck.

Tom

Maybe you can start a "Cavalier Wave?" :)

I drive my little S-10 pickup to work most of the time, and I know what you mean: I still find myself looking for Jeeps as I drive that truck.

It's hard to remember not to wave at Jeeps when I am in the truck.

Tom

• shill3shill3 Posts: 124
    We have so many jeeps around Flagstaff that very few bother to wave. A lot are driven by college girls and I am sure they wonder why this "Dad" is flirting with them. :)

There may be more commaraderie(sp) where Jeeps are more exclusive.

I have noticed that "older" drivers do seem to wave more often.
  • hypehype Posts: 16
    I have stock 15" (225 75R 15) tires on my Wrangler X which has the Dana 35 rear axle and 3.07 gear ratio--I want to bump up to a 31x10.5 tire. (I like the Goodyear Wrangler MTR tire). How will this affect the overall performance/handling/etc., if at all? Would this be something recommended or frowned upon? Thanks-much appreciated.
    Don't know the backspacing on your wheels, but you might need to add some washers on your steering stops to prevent a rub on the control arms at full turn. I didn't have to do that on my Jeep, though.

I went with 31 x 10.50 BFG All Terrains with no lift of any kind. I had the Canyon wheels at that time, and they have 5.5" backspacing. If you are not familiar with backspacing, it is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel (back surface of center plate that has the holes for the lug studs to go through) to the edge of the rim on the inside of the wheel (where the inside tire bead is). The less the backspacing, the more the tires stick out and the more the backspacing, the less the tires stick out. More backspacing pulls the tires in closer to the frame and can mean that you will rub a wide tire on the spring perch or something.

Like I said, no problem on mine with the Canyons and the 5.5" backspacing.

You other worry would be rubbing the flares with the larger diameter tires. I did not have that problem either, but I did NOT disconnect my sway bar when wheelin' while I was in that configuration, so I don't know if it would have been a problem or not. All I can say is that it was NOT a problem with the sway bar connected.

With the 3.07 gears, you will notice some loss of acceleration and power. You might find yourself downshifting to fourth gear on long hills out on the highway ( I assume you have a five speed?).

Of course, you speedometer will be off by the same percentage that your tire diameter increased.

Hope this helps ya.

Tom