Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    Great pics Tom, looks like a lot of fun!

-Pete
  • kelleyokelleyo Posts: 182
    any experience either positive or negative with replacing their Clutch based fan with an Electric Fan? This for a 99TJ.

Thanks in advance...
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    Are you looking at this for "power" or the ability to cut off the fan in water crossings/mud?

My experience has not been great (MG's and a 240Z). Very small HP gains and cooling headaches to sort out on all cars. These were all with decent quality generic puller fans sized for the stock radiator. Maybe if you could get one that was specifically made for the Wrangler radiator and shroud, you'd be in good shape.

-twylie
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I agree that trying a couple of easy forest service roads is a great way of getting your feet wet. There are several books written by Tony Huegel that are on dirt roads in California. They are called Sierra Nevada Byways, California Coastal Byways and Desert Byways. The trails listed are all easy and include some of the most beautiful areas of California. I bought a Wrangler, then the books, then decided I was spending too much time on weekends getting to the mountain trails, so I gave up apartment life and bought a house near some trails! Unfortunately, I still have to commute to West LA, but that isn't a chore when I get to look at a lovely pine covered ridge outside my back window (I think it is still there - it was obscured by snow and clouds tonight).

There are lots of 4x4 clubs in LA. IIRC one of them meets at Don-A-Vee Jeep Dealership. There is also a statewide 4x4 club that has meetings, weekend runs, and so on.

Hungry Valley State OHV area, near Gorman, has some 4x4 trails (along with mostly dirt bike trails). There is a 4x4 driver's course there and I think occasional classes (I haven't looked into taking a course for a couple of years, so I don't know who does it now).

Finally, I've found that the SoCal Auto Club has the best county maps. They include many dirt roads with location of gates (if any) and seem to be quite accurate. The official National Forest maps for the local national forests are OK, and most include 4x4 routes. Don't forget the Adventure Pass if you are heading to any of the SoCal national forests. If you want some more specific info, email me (my email address is in my profile).

Have a great time - I sure have!
  • adam86adam86 Posts: 11
    I think I have finally decided on a lift kit for my TJ. Im pretty sure im going with 33 Mickey Thompson baja claw radials, american racing atlas wheels, and a black diamond 3in lift kit. Any objections? I also would like to get my fender flares painted to match the body (silver), anyone know where to get info on that?
    Thanks, Adam
  • leafchildleafchild Posts: 24
    Wow. Thank you all for the various suggestions. I can't wait to try them out. :) It looks like my work schedule is going to be a bit of a problem....6 days a week, and my day off is usually a weekday. I imagine most of these club outings and events are on the weekends? With prior planning (as I did for the jamboree), I'm sure I can haggle an occasional weekend off.

Tom: I don't have a digital camera, so you won't be seeing any pics from me anytime real soon. I'm the only one in the family without a digital camera (and they aren't close by)--I'm pretty backwards that way. And with the money I'd be spending on a digital camera, I'd rather be getting mods. ;)

Mtngal: It's possible that I may be following in your footsteps... Ever since I bought my jeep, I'd been wondering if I should have taken advantage of that 0% financing so that I'd have money for a down payment on a house with a garage. With the carport in my condo complex, I don't have a place to store my hardtop or to put any additional 'toys'. Well, one step at a time.
    Come up and check out home prices around Frazier Park (there are several different communities up there, all with their own personalities). Prices are quite reasonable (though not as good as they were) and you get the added advantage of the endless views of the mountains surrounding you. With the occasional snowfall (like last night) you have ample reason to drive the Jeep!
  • huck6huck6 Posts: 37
    We had a nice bit of snow overnight. Unfortunately, I am getting out of the house a little later than usual due to the school delay, so our morning sun is sure to melt the roads before I even get my Jeep cranked up. Still, it's nice to look at the mountains and enjoy one last glimpse of winter.

Wonder if they will reopen the ski area? Naw.
  • oceantoadoceantoad Posts: 186
    my Sport was shipped. It was built on the 13th and started heading for Texas on my birthday. That was when I was busy tracking it on the internet.

Still a happy camper.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU AND TO YOUR JEEP!

Oh, BTW, do you have it back from the shop, and is everything OK now?

Tom and Ross Allen

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    NOO dont take that shiny new jeep in the woods it will get dirty..
      cant belive u wanna take a beautiful vehicle in dirty forrest Ewwww SHAME..
      Im kidding dude. Enjoy that jeep however u want, thats what makes them FUN.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA!!
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I have to concur with twylie. The only real benefit of an electric fan is that you can switch it off while fording deep water.
  • kelleyokelleyo Posts: 182
    I will probably stay with the clutch fan.
  • I haven't heard anything about black diamond lifts. Personally, I had the skyjacker 4" lift with 33's and it was just the right size. 3" will clear everything, but you may rub if you are off road very much. You should be able to get your flares painted at any local body shop. Just stop in and talk to someone about it. One thing you may want to consider is wider flares. If you are going to have 33x12.50 tires, they may stick out 3-4" past the factory flares (depending on your wheel offset) and get a lot of mud or water inside the Jeep, even on road. I had the warn 6" trail flares.
    You brought up an interesting point. I always thought that if your tires were wider than your flares you had to have mud flaps to cover the extra width. Is that true or am I mis-informed (I don't know where I got this idea).
  • Some states do have that law, but it usually isn't enforced.
    You're right about the home prices being reasonable in your area compared to where I'm at. But that's thinking WAY ahead. :) As I said before, I'll take it one step at a time.
    I just received my info packet for the jamboree today. I'm so excited!!! Can't wait.

One of the things they highly recommend that participants bring is a CB radio. Any recommendations as far as which one?? Since I have no experience with this stuff I have no clue. Oh, and do I also need to get antennas and cables?? If it's not kosher to name specifics, please drop me an e-mail (listed under my profile). Thanx.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    If your only purpose for the CB is for "wheelin'," you don't need to get too fancy. All you want is to be able to communicate Jeep to Jeep, so you don't need a lot of range.

I got the cheap CB that the Walmarts around here carry. It's a Maxon, and it only cost about $35. You will also need an antenna and some coax.

The whole deal shouldn't cost more than about $65 to $70.

A CB is almost a necessity for wheelin'. You need to be able to communicate with others in the group on the trail.

There are various methods that people use to mount the antenna and the CB itself.

I took off those plastic bumper corners on my Jeep, and I reamed out one of the holes that the screws went through that hold the bumper corner on. This is where I mounted my antenna. I did this on the right side of the rear bumper.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Quite a while ago someone here (was it you, Tom, or someone else - I'm thinking someone else) posted a link to where they put up photos of their CB unit. I thought it was really cool - the unit was small, they put it next to the gear shift so it was hidden, and then only had the mike visible (with a hook on the dash for it). Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?