Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• kwhitesellkwhitesell Posts: 2
    Well for my grad gift for myself I will be purchasing the 03-04 Sahara. Any tips on transmissions (Good or bad)?

Kevin
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Posts: 112
    My dealer called me this morning at 9am and my Jeep had cleared paint and was going to the assembly line, so it should be sitting there complete right now. It is set to be go to delivery tomorrow, so I hope to have it by the end of the week since I am only 4 hours from the plant :)

Tom - Since I am not driving the 03 yet, I think this username is still OK.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Personal preference really. Neither is bad, though the current four speed auto is relatively unproven.
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    It'll be interesting hearing your impressions of your new 03' vs your 01'. I know that not a lot of changes have been made but I think the changes that have been made have been good ones.

Stephen
  • skwirl60646skwirl60646 Posts: 14
    Hi,
    New yj owner -- '95, 4.0 auto, no ac.

Owner's manual says oil pressure reading should range between 40-65. Mine starts out right at upper limit and then tends to drift downward towards 50.

Bought it last week, the ride home the needle stayed right in the middle @ 40. Took it in for a new complete exhaust system and now the oil pressure gauge readings are higher.

Any thoughts appeciated.

& thank you for this board. Been a lurker for a couple months agter getting bit by the wrangler bug. Learned plenty.
    JackJ
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Welcome! Glad you broke the ice and posted, and CONGRATS on getting that Jeep!

Factory oil pressure gauges are not known for super accuracy. If you are worried about your oil pressure, you might take it somewhere where they have an accurate gauge and let them check it for you.

Oil pressure will vary with the oil temperature. It is common to have a higher pressure reading after a cold start, until the oil warms up and its viscosity goes down. There will also be some variation in oil pressure as the engine RPMs go up or down. You will have higher pressure at higher RPMs.

You might notice a pressure change after installing a new oil filter, especially if it is a different brand. Some filters are more restrictive than others.

Not a mechanic, so someone else should jump in here and give you additional info on this.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • redkey1redkey1 Posts: 270
    Hi all -

My 2002 TJ is showing some signs of wear. Flares are fading, paint is chipping off door handles and paint has chipped all the way off of left side of clip where the soft top sail panels drip edge grabs. Are these covered by the warranty?
  • skwirl60646skwirl60646 Posts: 14
    Thanks for the reply.

Glad to be a member of the board. 1st time jeep owner. I remember a long lost old buddy, had a jeep, said it was like a Harley w/ 4 whls. Real Americana but you have to work to keep 'em up.

This board is a real buddy too.
    JackJ
  • shill3shill3 Posts: 124
    This topic comes up about every year or so and we never resolve it. What's nice is that it is up to the driver. The five speed will give you more control over the engine and for many of us is more fun since it must be driven. However, if you are in a lot of stop and go traffic, it can be a pain for some to have to keep stirring the gears. Also, some prefer an automatic for off-roading/rock crawling (your clutch foot can get tired pretty quickly).

Good luck and congrats on graduating!
    I would think the warranty should cover those defects (especially the faded flares and the paint chipping off the door handles).

I am waiting til near the end of my warranty, and then I will try to get some new flares from DC under warranty, fully expecting the new ones to also fade in time.

I have heard of a cool trick to bring back the color on the flares. They say you can use a heat gun on the flares to get them nice and black again. Haven't tried it myself, but once I get the new flares and they have also faded, then I will give that method a try.

Tom

• redkey1redkey1 Posts: 270
    Thanks - that is not a bad idea, waiting until the end of warranty. The only problem is that my jeep is yellow and the gray looks terrible against it. I'll just make them replace them again!
  • saharagalsaharagal Posts: 88
    I've never regretted getting the 5 speed manual transmission! Just give them both a try.

Laura
    Hey, Edmunds buds, you are all welcome to email me any time, and my email addy is public in my profile.

But... PLEASE put something in the message header that lets me know who you are. I think I deleted an email from wheelsdown, because I didn't know who it was from.

Fortunately, he re-sent it and put something in the header so that I knew it was from him.

Put your edmunds username or something in the header that tips me off that it is from one of you guys.

Tom

• xairxair Posts: 13
    Dealer emailed me today, Ruby is in F status
    (paint) should be shipped on Thursday! The wait is killing me, just hope all is well when it gets here.

Xair
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    Good to see you checking back in here. Don't be a stranger!

-twylie
    That's FANTASTIC! Man, and not long ago you were wondering if there was problem with your order, and you didn't even know if you would get your Jeep or not. I'm really happy for ya, X!

Tom

• surfer454surfer454 Posts: 26
    These are two features that I wanted in my new jeep. I located a sport that has everything that I want except these two. Can the dealer install these before I take delivery or are they options they have to be installed at the factory?

I found another sport that was almost correct, but it didn't have trac lock or disk brakes. That seems like too much to give up.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    I'm sure the dealer can add cruise control before you take delivery, I remember that being an option before I took delivery of mine.

Maybe I'm still half-asleep here, but what do you mean by Sentry? I've seen that term used on Buicks for their auto on/off headlights and then used by others in reference to a security system.

-Pete
  • surfer454surfer454 Posts: 26
    Hi Pete/all -
    Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the theft deterrent system. From what I read in the Wrangler documentation, this Sentry system somehow immobilizes the engine unless the correct key is put into the ignition.

Any thoughts on this?

If I could get these two installed then I think I'll take the Jeep. I'm concerned about ordering a new one, since the sales guy said they couldn't guarantee the incentives (financing/$1K rebate) would be around when I take delivery. This also leads me to wonder why the incentives aren't locked in when you order instead of when you take delivery? The way it is now, a new wrangler could cost you an extra $1K.

Bill
    The incentives ARE locked in when you order! That salesman is trying to get you to take a Jeep from inventory so they can move it, it sounds to me like.

Man, if you can stand the wait, and if it's not too late to order an 03, then I would suggest you order from the factory and get EXACTLY what you want.

I am about as impatient as anyone you will ever meet, but I ordered my Thelma Jane, and I am VERY glad that I did. It's the first time I ever ordered from the factory.

Did ya know that you get your name right on the window sticker when you order from the factory? It says "This vehicle built especailly for ______."

The dealership's name goes in that blank when the vehicle is not ordered by an individual.

Ok, that's not a biggie, but it IS kinda neat.

Tom