Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    I have used Mothers "Back to Black" on the flares on my 95 Wrangler. The first time it takes a few applications/re-applications. Then it seems to hold up well. I have the top off now so it stays in the garage so that helps. I put it on heavy with a foam paint brush and let it sit overnight. Most of the time the excess soaks in and leave a nice finish. Other times a slight wipe with a clean cloth does the trick.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    Wow, have I been gone that long?
    108 post to catch up on..

Congrats TOM on 6 months no smoking..

Been on vacation last week, saw lots of jeeps on the Bama gulf coast. Didnt take mine. No room for 4 people & luggage in a JEEP.

Had a half day topless yesterday, started raining.. had to put it back up

BEEN a hot few days here 98 tomorrow.. WHEW

Great catching up with everyone.

Keep jeepin

BAMA
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    I can't believe all the posts in just a few days!

Go with the DUAL tops. I can't imagine looking through my plastic rear window covered in ice and snow. (I grew up in Ohio and now live in CT).
    Nothing beats a rear wiper and defrost!

You SoCals have it good. I wish I could leave my top off for weeks on end. Too much rain here to pull that off, besides I don't have a garage and my 99 TJ is my Daily driver.

-Dan
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    thanks for all the input. I think I'll try penetrol tomorrow (that sounds a little, I don't know, racy) followed by testing a small patch with the heat gun if the penetrol doesn't work. If all else fails then I'll consider spray-painting them with that special paint.
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    I can't believe all the posts in just a few days!

Go with the DUAL tops. I can't imagine looking through my plastic rear window covered in ice and snow. (I grew up in Ohio and now live in CT).
    Nothing beats a rear wiper and defrost!

You SoCals have it good. I wish I could leave my top off for weeks on end. Too much rain here to pull that off, besides I don't have a garage and my 99 TJ is my Daily driver.

-Dan
  • fairviewfairview Posts: 20
    I tried the heat gun on my flares. I took probably about an hour to do all four and they looked OK for a couple of months, then turned very spotty. I then used Rhino Shine, which is a liquid sold by Rhino Lining dealers to keep the Rhino in your truck bed (or wherever) looking nice. I put it on about 1 year ago and they still look good. One bottle cost $17.95 and would do one set of flares several times. I used the black Rhino Shine but they have several colors so you could possibly make the flares your body color. Hey, how about each flare a different color?
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I'm not so sure right now. There's another brush fire burning about 30 miles from me. That would not normally be a big deal - it is too far away to really threaten us - but it has closed the road I take to Vegas. We've got to go this Friday and I just hope they have the fire out and the road open by then.

There are downsides to all that cloudless, 20% humidity, 100 plus weather. It's going to be a long summer.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Looks like the Pine fire is out so 138 should be open again soon, if it isn't already. The ash and smoke was going right up to and through Tehachapi. THAT was fun driving my TJ in with no doors or windows. We had ash on the ground from it. The inside of my TJ is gonna be a mess (it's not in the garage). Time for that Rain Gear cover. :)

-Paul
  • fenris99fenris99 Posts: 16
    I know this isn't the season to be asking, but how are Wranglers in the snow?
    I'd like to know too. My neighbor told me to park the Wrangler when it snows and to drive my Tahoe. His son had a Wrangler with the 4 cylinder and said it was a "no-go-in-the-snow". Is this true. The 4 cylinder is certainly lighter than the 6, and the short wheel base would make it highly susceptible to doing unplanned donuts.

Enquiring minds want to know.
  • drosketerdrosketer Posts: 203
    I had my first winter experience in the Jeep just this year and I found it great. If conditions warrant it, just drop into 4wd and off you go while others are sitting around spinning their tires (and or buried in the snow). I loved it in the wintertime, and love it even more in the summer!

On the "top" issue... We get plenty of snow and cold around here. Even when the temperatures were hitting -30 C, the heater kept me plenty warm!

Andrew
    I'm in soCal and I get snow. I live in the mountains, so throw in uphill/downhill along with the wet snow we get here, and it gets rather slick.

My TJ handled great in the snow. Now keep in mind, you DO have a shorter wheelbase and you DO have a higher CG.

Tires will play a big role here too, just as with any other car. I have the BFG All Terrain KO's on mine and they tread design works well with the snow. Mud Terrains would handle it just as well, if not better.

When I've taken my TJ in the snow, I didn't even need to use 4wd, the grip of the tires was that good. Slowing down was just as easy, but you still have to realize you are on partially frozen water (snow) or frozen water (ice). :)

If the snow is deep enough, you may have issues with the skid plates (t-case) working as a snowplow and building up under your rig. If it is that deep though, do you REALLY want to go to work? :) More fun to play! hehe Either way, you'll get further with the TJ than most other cars. With that though, a TJ can only do so much, so consider the weather conditions before you venture out. If you already have 18" on the ground and you're expecting another 2', going out may not be the best choice.

-Paul
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    My Jeep spent lots of time in the Oregon Cascades when I first bought it and did outstanding. The roads up there are completely covered with packed-down snow for much of the winter as you can frequently measure daily snowfall in terms of feet, not inches, and the plows can't get all the way down to the road surface. The ABS and limited slip rear differential helped too, as did having a stick shift. But I never got stuck. That was a good reason for having a hard top, though. Snow bombs used to fall the time off of the Douglas firs onto the roof when the branches would get too loaded down.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Your neighbor's kid must have obtained his drivers license at K Mart. Like erickpl, I rarely use 4WD in the slick stuff since my TJ does just fine in 2WD. Also note that I'm running on those crummy Goodyear RT/S tires; they were on the TJ when I bought it. I plan to switch to Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts when the Goodyears wear out-and that can't happen a moment too soon...
  • gman1259gman1259 Posts: 209
    That's great...I will have to ask him.
    Thands for the snow info.
  • 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    Greta- I tried the self-check you described, kind of cool - too bad I don't know what it all means. Mine starts off with S of 2.1, No Faults and then tests the warning lights and gauges. I like that it tests lights that don't apply to my Jeep, like Cruise and Full-Time. Weird that the 4wd Low light didn't light up, then again, it's never come on since I've owned it.

I found it interesting during the gauge test, that it seems to display a few different levels on each gauge. On the speedo, for example, it showed 76 MPH as the highest - which is the fastest I've probably gone in recent memory. I wonder if it's recording maximum levels for each gauge.

Tom or Mac, do your books give any information about this self-test and what those gauge readings mean? Does the 2.1 that mine starts with mean firmware version?

Thanks,
    Pete
    Dave,

If the Wrangler is your second vehicle then I believe you will be extremely satisfied with it. I do like the Cooper though, but I have recently given up my Porsche (it gave up after almost 250,000 miles), which was a fun car on the road, and I can say I find the Wrangler much more fun to drive (and that is with an auto trans). I have a 62 mile round trip daily and a small car would be easier on gas consumption, but there something about the freedom of driving with the top off through and over things the Porsche would have stranded me on.

If it fits your life style get the Wrangler. I wanted a Wrangler for some twenty years before I finely bought one. No matter what car I was driving I just could not get the desire for a Wrangler out of my system, and I am willing to bet that it is the same for you. Right now the Wrangler is the best it has ever been, and it may not get any better…unless they put a diesel engine in it.

Good luck

Glen
    Get what makes you happy.

Glen
    I had the same infliction. It's better now.

Glen
    In So Cal we can have the top off for months at a time (if we have a bikini style top for sun protection). I have my soft top on the vehicle and I have only put it up to go through the car wash in the past two months.

Glen
    It's a little further but you can take the 14 to Palmdale, then catchthe 138 there.

Not sure why am telling you this because I sure you know that area better then I do.

Glen
    Just make a trail with your Jeep. :) just kidding.

You can take the 14 to 138 to the 15 and go that way. If traffic is a pain, 14 north to 58 (around Edwards) to Barstow to the 15 is pretty good and traffic is usually pretty light going up there (until you hit Barstow).

-Paul
    As for the snow, ANY vehicle's weak spot is going to be the driver. If you neighbor is basing the decision to 'park the Wrangler' when it snows on the abilities of his TEENAGE driver, then I suggest your neighbor needs to get out more.

I've seen old RWD cars w/o traction control and abs driving just fine on winding, snowpacked roads while there was a Hummer and a Jeep in the ditch. Common sense will be the rule dictating how you drive. A Jeep is a VERY capable offroader and VERY capable on the snow, but it will only be as capable as the driver controlling it.

Another factor is tires. My FWD Honda Civic was supposed to be decent in snow, but with the tires I had on it, it was like Dorothy Hamill sliding across the ring and doing a Hamill Camel.

So in summary:
    1. Your neighbor needs to get out more.
    2. Your neighbor's kid needs to learn to drive.
    3. Be familiar and comforable in your vehicle.
    4. Know your vehicle's handling limits BEFORE it snows.
    5. Go nowhere near the limits when it snows.
    6. Use common sense - allow for the effects snow and ice have on handling characteristics.
    7. Slap a ski rack on the back and go skiing!

-Paul
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Good points! I once bought a five speed 1984 T-Bird Turbo Coupe from a friend of mine who claimed the car was terrible in the snow. I promptly threw away the General rim protectors and fitted a set of Dunlop D60 A2s. In the following five years the old sled got stuck ONE time; it got high-centered on a ridge of snow in a friend's driveway.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    How I wish we had some!

Glad to hear the Pine fire is out - that is the one that had me stumped. Perhaps I shouldn't be so happy - we are driving the Wrangler and we could make our own way across the Mojave desert. My husband did point out that if the 138 from Gorman to the 14 was still closed we could always go into LA and stop at Starbucks for coffee (no Starbucks before Primm the way I go, which is I-5, 138 to 14 to 58 to the I-15).

I use the Wrangler as my daily driver when it snows (the 2WD Tacoma is hopeless in the snow). It is fine for driving in fairly deep snow. I got it stuck once - it got high centered when the 30" of wet snow we had one night got packed under the frame. As soon as I dug the snow out from under the frame I was able to back it up into my driveway and wait for the snow plow (which was a good thing - there were over 100 cars stuck on the freeway so I wouldn't be able to get to work anyway). I have Bridgestone Dueller AT tires on it now and while they were excellent for the first year, they are marginal now that they are pretty worn.

I agree that tires make a huge difference in the snow, and I'm pretty careful about driving in the winter. Any vehicle that locks the front and back axles together (Wranglers included) will have a problem when the roads are mostly clear but might have a few patches of ice every so often. You can't use this type of 4x4 system on dry roads, so the Wrangler will be like any 2WD vehicle (drive gingerly).
  • gretagreta Posts: 23
    Pete; Mine starts off with a digital display that reads "S of 4.0," then reads "No Faults" and then activates though all the gauges individually?; as I had said earlier. ??? I wonder... "What it all means." I guess some days I wonder more than other days. Greta
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Hey, Jeep Buds, I have heard from Mac via email, and he says he has been away from the board because of a spinal fusion operation.

He says he is sorry if anyone has addressed questions to him or asked something that he might be able to help with: he just can't sit at the computer now.

He says he just can't concentrate for long at a time yet, and I guess that's because of pain (he didn't say).

Let's all post some "get well' messages for the Old Macster. I think he can sit long enough to read a few posts, but he can't take the time to type replies.

So, here's my get well wish for him....

GET WELL SOON, MAC! WE MISS YA!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Ya Mac,

Get well soon.

Glen
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I have posted this advice before, but for the sake of the newbies, I'll say it again.

If you think you would EVER want a hard top, the time to get it is at the time of purchase of the vehicle. That dual top option will get you a hard top (factory quality) MUCH cheaper than you will ever get one later.

If you get a factory quality hard top later, they are about $1800, not including shipping. Not sure you would get the rear wiper either for that price.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?