Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    Figured it might be a good time to repost the problems I've had with my '01 Sport. I've had it almost 27 months to the day, just over 14k miles.

Factory defects:
    Issue - 2 small paint blemishes in the passengers door (debris under surface coat).
    Resolution - dealer noted and offered to repaint or deal with it if it ever breaks through the finish coat. I elected the latter option.

Issue - terrible mis-stiching inside on the drivers upper door (I have half doors).
    Resolution - dealer said it was cosmetic and couldn't do much unless it leaked. Hasn't leaked yet, so I didn't push the issue but had them log the item as a service visit should the stitching ever give out.

Since we got it:
    Issue - intermitant "won't start".
    Resolution - 2 visits to the dealer and could not reproduce. When it did it the next time at the house, I had my wife turn the ignition to Start while I crawled under and tapped the starter with a rubber mallet. Jeep immediately cranked and dealer replaced starter no questions asked. No problems since.

That's it for me; two items that could be chalked up to weak quality control and one bad part.

Given how I've used the Jeep and the places it's taken me off road, I'm pretty pleased with how it's held up. Very surprised that it doesn't squeak or rattle given the off-roading trips.

Happier with the Jeep than I could have imagined.

-twylie
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    terrible! About 80% of the posts in there were about problems. I had a 99 JGC that had the famous brake rotor problem, and there were sure lots of posts about that. They had to be turned twice in front and were replaced the next time they warped. The replacement rotors needed to be turned when I traded in the vehicle at approximately 31 K miles! Had power window motors go out, and the heater control module had to be replaced. I really like the vehicle, despite the problems.

I didn't mean to ramble on about my JGC, but the point is, there were just too many posts about problems, and it was a very negative place. I hope we aren't heading that direction here, but I know you guys are having problems, and they need to be posted for everyone's benefit. I guess what I'm saying is that I hope this recent rash of problems is not really typical for new Jeep Wranglers.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I bought my TJ used with about 49K on the clock. In the past 12 months of ownership I've put over 15K on it. Aside from a set of front pads the only problems I've encountered were the dead IP cluster and A/C evaporator condensation draining into the front passenger floorboard. Both problems are covered by TSBs and I repaired them myself at a cost of @$4 and one hour of easy labor. The paint and trim still looks brand new(hint: try Mother's Back to Black on faded plastic or vinyl trim). The only rust is on the receiver hitch, and a little wire brushing and paint will have it looking new in short order. I'm very pleased overall.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    Sorry, I did not give the correct book title. It's called: "Phil Edmonston's Lemon-Aid Car Guides," and some of the info is here

http://www.lemonaidcars.com

The funny thing is that on the site you can see that 97-00 TJs are ranked "above average," while 01-02 TJs are "average," meaning the quality went down the last two model years. Perhaps, the quality control is not what it used to be (perhaps due to cost cutting???), and maybe that is why Phil called it "atrocious" in his 2003 book.

BTW, 2002 Liberty is NOT recommended by Phil, and that category is even lower than "below average"

Grand Cherokee (95-02) is ranked as "average," but the perennial competitor 4Runner (96-02) is in the "recommended" category, to which only 10 vehicles (all of them Japanese) belong, so DC has some catching up to do
  • kelleyokelleyo Posts: 182
    right?

CPS goes out so I take it in. Then it gets broken into while at the dealership. Broken window, stolen stereo, broken glove compart and center console.

All fixed after a 2 week wait.

2 days after I get him home dead battery. I decided to buy a new one since the original one is 4 years old. So far it has held a charge. I was originally afraid that the stereo guys had screwed up and something was causing a drain on the battery.

Now this:
      Put key in door and unlock and it will not open. Have to crawl over from passenger side. Lock mechanism feels screwed up. Had to be something not put back together properly when they replaced the broken window in the door.

Then the FINAL INSULT:
       The driver side seatbelt will not go into the latch/receptacle/buckle! Either glass got into the buckle or something else has now broken.

Needless to say I am exasperated.

Other issues I have had with this car include the broken exhaust manifold.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I feel for you. I wonder about some of the folks that fix cars that have been damaged for some reason. My Wrangler was in an accident about 6 months after we got it in '98 and while all of the body and the little front end work they did has held up very well, they gave me the rims with the wrong offset and they rub whenever they are on the front. It took me forever to finally figure that out!

Sounds like another trip to the dealer - at least the dealer seems to be willing to make it right.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    It's bad enough to be ripped off, but the repair hassle that follows is often worse. BTDT; I had some pretty decent box speakers stolen out of my Arrow 2.6 GT in college. A friend of mine(ex-Marine) wanted to buy another set, fill them with blasting caps, and use a fuse that would trigger when the speaker was hooked up to an amp. Then after you get ripped off you simply wait to hear the news story about the big explosion at the crack-house. Well, it was a nice idea, anyway...
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    Took tazz in to get checked for my "idiot" light. It was from the Gas cap..but, the dealer said the 'puter checks for gas cap at diffrent time. I have the bad habit of leaving my switch "on" when filling up with gas. So. sometimes thats when the puter checks for gas cap. It thinks its not there..so. light comes on.
      Glad it wasnt anything serious, like u other guys are having. Im stil VERY pleased with TAZZ.
    no comlpaints from me at all.
      I wish u guys luck, and keep us posted.

KEEP JEEPIN'
       BAMA
  • brimcrowbrimcrow Posts: 4
    Seems I ready that the Jeep Rubicon has a 4-speed automatic. Will all Jeep Wrangers get this option?

Thanks,

brimcrow
  • The Rubicon CAN be purchased with the 4 speed auto, but it is not standard and you can get it as an option($825) on any 4.0L Wrangler.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    so, if you plan on doing lots of off-roading, manual is probably better
    That's a good point, but if we are talking Rubicon, that 4:1 transfer case will give you a super low crawl speed, even with the automatic. Brimcrow was asking about the availability of the 4 speed auto on other models, so I guess he is not considering a Rubi.

The rock crawlers love the automatics (the old three speed autos, that is), but maybe they are installing a Tera Low Kit or an Atlas II transfer case to get the slow crawl speed.

I would research carefully before buying the four speed auto. I know I have seen posts about these trannies slipping when the Jeep is at extreme angles. There is a design problem of some kind that has to do with the sump, and the pump can't pick up fluid when the Jeep is pointed up at an extreme angle.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    It's the manuals that benefit most from the Tera Low / Atlas etc. It can be almost impossible to stop an automatic in low range first with a lowered transfer ratio. Rockcrawling with an automatic is much easier with an auto than a manual because of the torque multiplication effect of the torque converter. The downside is that it doesn't work well with the power flow in the opposite direction, so that engine (compression) braking is less effective with the auto.

I'm not sure what is meant by the crawl ratio being better with the manual. In the real world, at low speed in low range against a load such as a steep hill or a rock, the auto is much more controllable. It's also of benefit at higher speeds over rough terrain. The effect of your right foot being bounced up and down on the throttle is 'softened' by the torque converter.

The manual has it's place off road too. It's main advantage is when maximum power is needed, such as when blasting through deep mud, either to overcome suction or to spin the wheels to clean the treads.

For mild trails, fireroads etc., etc., either transmission will be fine.
  • src48084src48084 Posts: 7
    Having gotten my money refunded from Manhattan Jeep I bought a new Jeep. And instead of the SE, I got the X. Wow. What a huge difference. It rides better. Makes highway driving a dream. Shifts better. Such a difference that anyone considering an SE might want to test drive an X. Anyway, my new Jeep has full metal doors, roll down windows, loads of other options and this time I got the hard top. Now if only I hadn't scratched part of the top of the door taking that damn thing off. Oh, and the glove compartment fell completely off. I guess I can take it back to the dealer for that but any suggestions how to remove some scratches would be appreciated. In any event, my bright Silver X is a dream machine.
  • rolinskirolinski Posts: 7
    After reading your post about changing the hard top to a soft and scratching the door, I thought I was the only one around that happend to. As I stepped back to admire the new soft top I just installed, I almost had a heart attack when I noticed the door had a long scratch. I touched it up now I'm feeling a little better. Enjoy your new X.
    I was talking about the rear end gearing being higher (lower ratio) with an auto, making the crawl speed faster and engine braking less effective in going down extremely steep slopes. I'm pretty sure that in the days of the old three speed automatics, the rear end ratio was lower (higher gearing) than for manual trannies. Maybe with the new overdrive automatics, they put the same rear end gearing in the Jeeps as for manuals???

Tom

Src:

Congrats on getting a Jeep that you are happy with! I think it all worked out for the best, right? You are much happier with the power of the 4.0L I-6 than you would have been with the four cylinder.

rolinski:

Welcome! Stick with us.

Tom

Glad it turned out to be something like that with Tazz, and not something serious!

Still think ya oughta let that poor Jeep have some fun off road! :)

Tom

• Sorry to hear about your scratch on the door. It never has happened to me, but I am sure lots of people have made that mistake. The hard doors are pretty heavy and awkward when you remove them. I just took mine off today and put them back on a few minutes ago.

As for your glove box, they all fall off, but they are removable. Just start the hinge back in place and shut it and it should be fine unless something has broken. Once you get used to it, you will just take the strap off and then open it wide and remove it. It's quite simple, but you have to get used to it.