Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Hey Chris,

Everybody's got their opinions about trim levels, color and stuff like that. When I was shopping I really wanted red and found a good deal on a silver Wrangler but couldn't bring myself to buy one that wasn't red. Within days I found and bought my red Wrangler while reading posts about how great the silver is. To each his own I guess.

Bottom line is this, if you like it and can get a good deal, BUY IT! You won't regret it. And when all is said and done, it's still a Wrangler. You will have fun with it. And don't forget to wave to other Wrangler drivers even if you think their trim levels are lame. Most everyone will wave back no matter what color your flares are.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I didn't think much of the Tomb Raider Rubicon either, but when I went to test drive a Rubicon, it was the only one they had. The red seatbelts were over the top and I couldn't imagine spending all that much money for the Rubicon package and then babying it to keep a limited edition in mint condition.

The Willys is OK, but not my cup of tea. I liked the green they used on it, though it didn't look anything like how I remember the OD green/camo pattern on the Jeeps I drove in my Army days. Just my opinion, but I didn't see anything on it that would be worth the extra money to me, personally. I never saw the Columbia edition, so don't have an opinion of it.

However, I really like the Rocky Mountain edition. That one had what looked like really useful additions (Dana 44, rocker panel protection etc.) as well as good looking.
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    Well, I've had my Rubi since May and this is the first time I've atttempted to put my golf clubs in it. We have a little sports car as our 3rd car and I always drive it when I'm playing...
    It's a no go with the back seat up. Have to fold the backseat forward and put the clubs in at an angle. Kind of funny how little space there is when the seats up.
  • That price is less than I paid for my 2004 Sport…I would jump on the deal (If you can afford it).

Glen
  • The dealer I bought Ellie’Mae from had a Columbia edition on his lot. I thought it looked good for a street ride. But, it just did not look rugged enough for my taste.

Although, I believe looks were definitely deceiving, and believe me I would not be embarrassed to call a Columbia mine.

Glen
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Keats - I kept the seat tumbled forward for quite a while when I first got it. Then I just took it out and it is sitting under the stairs in the house. It's turning out to be more useful to me as a saddle rack than as a car seat!

Glen - Up until last week I would have said that I always go for practicality and don't pay much attention to looks. If that were really true, I would have bought an Unlimited that was sitting on the dealer's lot (maybe even gotten a better deal?) - not had them trade for one over 100 miles away just because of color!
  • Im heading to the dealer to meet sales guy at 6pm. My wife and I discussed the wrangler and decided it would make a fun 3rd car. Ive decided not to trade my grand and keep it as the work car and the wrangler for weekends and nice days. Also, move to a soft top and shale green. The problem will be the color, ive searched the metroplex and have found only 1 shale green unlimited, but dont know if its a hardtop or soft. I will know in the next hour whats going to happen. The good news is either way im still driving a JEEP.....
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Be SURE to post the details when the deed is done!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • I was a 3 vehicle family for a year. It was always a toss up which was going to get driven on any given day. I'm down to 2 now and I may as well sell the volvo and buy "stuff" for the jeep, the volvo has been driven once in the past 2 weeks, I love driving the jeep!!

jeff
  • I've looked and searched, but I cannot find the auxillary power wires that some people say are behind the glove box. I've looked and I cannot figure out how to get to the wires that feed the cigarette lighters (or what ever they are called since I don't smoke)

where do most people access power?

I did find a couple decent placed to hide the connection box, under the coin tray and under the gear shift.

jeff
    Jeff:

What are you trying to hook up? I just went to the power distribution box under the hood (near the battery) to hook up my CB. It is not switched, so it is on without the key on.

Tom

• September of last year my jeep had a crack in the header pipe right at the seams. I finally found someone to replace the pipe for me. After 3 weeks of nothing but hassle the mechanic finished and I don't think that my jeep had ever ran so good. It was really quiet except for a very faint hissing sound that would come and go. Just recently I have noticed this hissing noise all of the time loud and the jeep itself is loud again. I climbed underneath the jeep and i didn't see anything cosmetically wrong with the header pipe. What could this hissing be and do you guys think that header is getting ready to crack again? What could I do to prevent this and fix the hissing & loudness of the engine. Wrangler 99 Sport 4 x 4.
    They say you should hook up your hot wire as close to the battery as you can for the cleanest (less static) sound on your CB. That power distribution box works well. Be sure and use an inline fuse close to the power source.

This will mean your radio will work with the key off, which is handy out on the trials if you step out of the Jeep for a break. If someone wants to contact you, you can still hear them.

Tom

• Could someone please fill me in on the "Willys" edition or package if available on the Wrangler?
    Thanks!
    You gotta be shipping me! You don't know about the Willys package? :)

I don't know the details, but I think you could probably find out about all you need to know at Jeep.com. Swing by your friendly neighborhood Jeep dealer and pick up a brochure.

I don't think there is any more to the package than just the cosemtic features. I mean, there are no special engine, drive train, or suspension features that come with the package.

Welcome to the board! Glad you joined us, and please stick around.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I didn't know it was still being produced, but here's a pic anyway.

...... and here's a link to the details: http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/news/jeep/willys.html?context=willy- - s_no_flash&type=img_link

...... and a link to a 'flash' version with more pics:

http://www.jeep.com/willys/index.html?context='+context+'&typ- e=newscopy
    Shame on you for leaving us hanging!!!

Spill yer guts! Tell us all about that Unlimited. Which one did you end up with?

TALK DIRTY TO US! ALL THE DETAILS!

Tom

• keatskeats Posts: 412
    I know what you mean, since I bought my Rubi the only time I've driven my 300zx is when I'm playing golf.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I have my CB power running from the red wire coming from the fuse box, but the red power is long enough I may run it through the firewall to the battery area. I haven't heard any real static coming from my CB, so I may not worry about it right now. Once I get to do some more wheeling, I'll check it out again.

My reception seems pretty good, but I will still want to use an SWR on it to make sure it is optimized. When I ordered the setup, I got the length of cable (18') that is supposed to be ideal for the Wrangler, and it worked flawlessly at Camp Jeep.

If you want to mount something on your cig lighter circuit, you can splice into the wiring using the nice wire tap things you can get at a hardware store. I added a y-adapter behind the dash to power my GPS (has batteries in it when I use it, so I'm not worried about when I shut power off). This leaves me an extra plug behind the dash if I need it AND I can still plug something into the Cig lighter if I need to (don't smoke either).

-Paul
  • Tom,

I have a CB coming in the mail. Would you be willing to use that digital camera of yours and snap a picture of the power connection you used for your CB? The last time I played around with this sort of stuff was when I was a teenager, which was a long time ago. It would be very helpful if I had a something visual to illustrate the proper connection.

After I have decided where and how I will set the CB up I will take it somewhere to have it tuned. I have no idea what an “SWR” is, no less how to use it. Although, if an “SWR” does not cost too much, and are they not too difficult to use, I would be willing to learn.

Thanks,

Glen
    I've tried to find SWR's at Radio Shack, but are aroudn 30.00. For a one time use, that didn't make sense. You may be able to take it to an offroad or trucker shop and they may have the equipment and charge a few bucks to install it.

Which CB did ya get? I LOVE the compactness of the Cobra 75WXST and the fact that I could unhook the guts (handset) of it and secure it with me when not in my soft top. I also couldn't see where I'd mount a regular CB unless I got some type of overhead bracket. I like it when the top is off and nothing is in the way (except the cage on the sides). I still want to put in a heavy duty sport cage on the front though. :)

I may be able to get some pics of where I wired mine in if you want. Tom is probably right in mounting it closer to the battery, but I think as long as your power is away from the ignition coils and starter circuits, the sound will be pretty quiet.

-Paul
  • Paul,

Sure thing…I will accept any assistance offered.

I picked up a COBRA 18 WX ST off of E-Bay (it looks clean…I hoes it works). I looked at the Cobra 75WXST but I could not justify the cost for the amount of use I will get out it. At least not right now (going to Maui with the family in November).

I have decided to go with the mounting system from Arizona Rocky Road (http://www.arizonarockyroad.com). I was looking for a system that I could mount other things on to besides a CB, and that could be easily removed when I was not using it. In addition I like the antenna-mounting bracket as well (and everything is mounted without drilling holes). Plus I wanted to mount the CB where I could easily see it without looking down. I remember, when growing up we mounted the CB differently in the various vehicles my family owned. From what I remembered the CB mounted it the van was overhead and easily accessed. The Brazier had a removable top so the CB was mounted under the dash and required us to look down, taking our eyes off the road/trail. Did not like that as much as the way we had it mounted in the van. The Cobra 75WXST looks to be better solution to my safety concerns, but I would have to wait a while to buy it, plus could not pass up of the deal on the COBRA 18 WX ST.

Thanks,

Glen
    My antenna would be sticking WAY above the roofline. :) I have the 4' Firestik II. I may have to add that. :) I have drilled a few holes on my tireholder to fit my current setup, but I'm not opposed to going with something a bit easier (I just have to move the quick disconnect setup from the old to the new).

-Paul
  • Is there trouble with the software again? I have to sign in every time I visit the site, even though I check the "remember me" box.

Terry
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I'm getting that too. It happened to me once before and it went away in short order. I'll keep an eye on it.

tidester, host
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,854
    Are you clicking the "Sign Out" button when you leave Town Hall? That turns off the "remember me" feature.

Several other members are having trouble with this issue and it's been reported.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I don't know about Wheels but I didn't use the "sign out" button in either case.

tidester, host
    and I am NOT hitting the sign out thing.

Heck, it even welcomes me on the home page, but then it makes me sign in for Town Hall.

Tom

Will get your pic for you tonight after work.

Tom