Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Are you enjoying fall weather? It's still hot here, even though the leaves are changing, with the cottonwoods starting to turn into yellow torches reaching to the sky. I'm not complaining this year - in years past I couldn't wait for winter because that would be my excuse to use the Wrangler as my daily driver. Now I don't need an excuse, and I'd like it to stay warm enough to enjoy the sunrider top for a few more weeks.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    It's getting really old having to log in every time I come here. :(

Would it help if I dumped my Edmunds cookie?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Those gray flares are REALLY ugly! You can even tell from the pictures in that 05 Wrangler brochure that I picked up how ugly those flares are going to be.

The top colors are no good on a lot of the body colors offered either. You only have your choice of medium gray or dark khaki. No more nice looking black tops! That dark khaki looks decent on some body colors, but I don't know of ANY body color that would look good with the medium gray top.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKIN'????

DC, if you are monitoring this board, PLEASE, make black flares and black tops available again!!!!

As much as I love Jeeps, I have to say that I'm not sure I could buy an 05 unless they come back with black flares and tops. Or else the dealer would have to swap flares and tops with me and get me some black ones.

Tom

• I had the heat running this morning on the way to work, Western IL got down to 46 last night. I'm not complaining, it just means snow is that much closer to getting here, looking forward to that!

jeff

one of my best friends is the TV weatherman, he gets upset with me, I tell him I want to be a weatherman. I want a job that you don't get fired from; even being wrong 75% of the time.
    LOL! I know - I read a couple of weather reports, especially in the winter. If either one of them indicated a chance of snow we'd drive the Wrangler instead of the 2WD Taco. I was always worried about not being allowed to get home some evening (it sort-of happened a couple of years ago and we were in the Wrangler - took us until about 9 to get home one night and it wasn't even snowing. That was the night I wished the Wrangler had ice skates on - the roads were doing a good imitation of a hockey rink!).
    I just completed the survey that we are invited to paticipate in up at the top of the page, and it made me think back to the days when I was Jeep shopping.

Peeps, call it sucking up if you want to, but where else on the Net could anyone go and get so much useful info?

By coming to Edmunds, I was able to find out invoice price for exactly the Jeep I was looking to buy, and from discussions in Town Hall, I was able to get a good idea as to which options I should order. I was even able to learn what kind of deal in relation to invoice price that I could realistically hold out for.

I came to this message board pretty sure that I wanted a Jeep, and yet I had reservations about getting such a radically different type of vehicle for a daily driver (Thelma Jane WAS my daily driver for the first few months that I owned her). As they say, to find out about something, "ask a person that owns one." That's exactly what this message board allowed me to do.

So, thanks, Edmunds! Sure glad we have Edmunds.com to hang out at.

Tom

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,174
    Town Hall has its own IT guy, John, and he busts to keep us happy. Unfortunately this recent bug is site wide and there's a different IT group that handles the registration stuff. So no eta yet :-(

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    that standard equipment on a Wrangler should be sunscreen. I had the top down this weekend when driving to Bakersfield (3 hour tour). I got home and my arms were beet read. It ain't no farmer tan.. it's a JEEP tan! :)

I did have my hat on though :)

-Paul

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I was sent an email going to their survey, which I very happily filled out.

I probably would not have talked to the dealership that I bought the Unlimited from if it hadn't been for Edmunds. I had no idea where that particular dealership was located, but used their "email dealership" option to send emails to a couple of dealerships (without knowing any of their locations). The first one that emailed me a decent price and details was the one I purchased from - and was I ever surprised to find that it was also the closest one to work, so I could pick it up at lunch.

Paul - I had suntan lotion with me this weekend, but ended up not having the top down enough to need it.

Another soft top question - I know that you can remove the windows without removing the top. My question is how difficult would it be to undo the back window's bar without loosening the clips on the header? It's often an annoyance to not be able to open the window like you can on a hard top when you're loading cargo in the back. And I'll probably want to remove the back seat next week and thought it would be MUCH easier if I don't have the back window on.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I get my rear window off w/o having to mess with the actual top at all. Just unzip the rear window then once it is done, you kinda wiggle it down and out. The part that goes under the lip will come right off if you gently pull down and out. Getting it back in is reverse.

I have found it easier to do with the rear tailgate open...

-Paul
    And since it is disappointing to go to the trouble of logging in here the way things are now and then finding no new posts...

how about you guys posting YOUR thoughts on the new gray flares and the top color choices being only medium gray or dark khaki?????

I have certainly been the most vocal about the issue, but are there others of you out there that consider this to be a very serious issue that might even influence your decision to buy an 05 Wrangler? Or, is the Old Tomster just over-reacting in your opinion?

Tom

• I don't think you're over-reacting at all. Part of the reason I got serious when I did was because I really wanted red with black flares and top. It's just kind of ironic that the Jeep I got was a Columbia Edition with Graphite (gray) flares. But they are painted gray with a nice metal flake so they're not the ones I was avoiding.

Then again, maybe it was just an excuse to pull the trigger. We'll never know for sure...

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    Over the winter, I was going to shop around and try to order an '05 but have decided on not doing so with the gray flares.

In '04, for the SE, X, Sport there was one flare color; black. Now for '05 there are two colors, depending on interior. Khaki, which I don't see much of and medium gray, which few seem to want or think matches.

It would be my hope that when '05 production consumes the initial order of gray flares (and tops) that they go back to black. I will then reconsider ordering a new Flame Red Wrangler.
  • Tom,

I agree the black is better than the gray. However, I think I have not been vocal about it is because I have the black and the gray will not effect me. By the time I am in the market for a new Jeep I think (hope) they will go back to the black, or the Wrangler will be redesign entirely and have painted fenders and color matching tops.

I also believe anyone who does not like the color change should voice their opinion loud and clear so DC will know their design change sucks and should be revisited, or they may not go away from the gray by the time I am in the market for a new Jeep.

Glen
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I get most Jeep stuff, but I really don't get the gray flares.

What are they thinking? Body color.....great. Black..... fine. Khaki..... maybe, depending on the body color. Gray..... ewww! Looks like they're either faded, unpainted, or in primer.

Like I said, what are they thinking?????

:--(
    You bet it did! I really like the electric green, but thought that grey would be terrible on it. So I got the last soft top green Unlimited in SoCal now, rather than waiting for the 05's.

To be fair, I thought the grey with white wasn't too bad. I think I might be neutral with the black - while I like the monochrome look of all black, the (now) grey (faded) flares on my Noble Black Steed don't look too bad color-wise (though I'm going to do something about returning them to black eventually). With a grey top it might have an OK two-tone look. The photos I saw of the other colors with grey were horrible.

Khaki would be nice with some colors - I always liked the dark green with brown top/interior they used to have.
    Steve? Tidester?

Is there some way that we can get word to DC that we want our black flares and tops back? I know we could individually contact DC, but how could we as a group? Wouldn't it be a little more effective that way?

I will love Jeep Wranglers until the day I die, or until they design the "Jeep" out of them. The issue at hand is merely cosmetic, but looks are VERY important to most people. I would have to plan on having my top and flares painted or somehow replaced with black ones, if I were to buy an 05.

Tom

I think you just did :-)

Most manufacturers skim the various forums - BMW and Subaru even have employees posting on Town Hall.

Otherwise, try the contact link at Jeep I guess.

Steve, Host

• hi, i need to decide how important limited slip is for a jeep x model or sport ,used one to two years old, that may go off road in minor muddy fields /slushie snowie roads and boat ramps. a friend is pushing me into limited slip saying its a must, not to be a full time off road toy, a daily driver. never had a four wheeler always wanted one! thanks in advance.
    Welcome! Good luck in finding a Jeep.

Limited slip is good, by all accounts I have heard and according to the experience of some of my Jeep buds.

Limited slip behaves very well on the pavement and can give you some good traction in snow and mud.

A full locker is better for the trails, but for the type of use the Jeep will see in your case, limited slip (called Tracloc in Wranglers) is a good thing to have.

Tom

Just my personal opinion - I don't think the limited slip is that big of a deal in slush, might be useful in mud (depends on the type of mud) and could be very useful on a wet boat ramp (though I don't have any experience and that is just a guess). I don't think I'd make it a deal breaker for an otherwise acceptable vehicle, but if there are 2 that are essentially the same, get the one with the limited slip.

The only time I had a real problem, the limited slip didn't make a difference - I got high centered on wet, packed snow under the frame. As soon as I dug the snow out from under the frame I could move back into my driveway - the snow was well above my bumper. The only thing that might have helped would have been a true locker, and even that is debatable.
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    I agree 110% with Tom and the rest of you. The Grey flares are horrible.

If it was to combat the sun-fade issue, please don't. I'd personally rather have faded black flares that I could shine back to black or buy replacements.

DC, if you're listening, this is another vote for no grey flares.

-Dan
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    There's no downside to a Trac Lok LSD for the use you envisage. On a used vehicle it won't cost any extra. It's invisible on the road and can be very helpful off-road.

If you have it and never use its capabilities, you've lost nothing. However, if you don't have it and you do need it........................

;--)
    We bought our Unlimited 10 days ago. And today we get something in the mail from Jeep. It was a letter saying thanks for attending Camp Jeep, and a coupon for $500 off (on top of any other rebates) any Jeep vehicle! If only we had dithered for another 2 weeks! Urrrr!

I guess I shouldn't be too unhappy - perhaps they would have sold the green one I wanted and I still really like it.
    If I were you, I wouldn't give up so soon. I would do some checking around to see if maybe they would honor that rebate offer on your current Jeep. You DID buy it AFTER Camp Jeep, right?

Hey, if nothing else, maybe they will give you $500 worth of parts or service credit at the dealership.

Tom

I think I'm going to call the Unlimited "g.g." (gigi), which stands for Green Giant (or Green Glob if you are my other half). She IS bigger than my Noble Black Steed and she is green. I like the Green Machine but she's the wrong shade of green.
    Are you going to check on getting that $500 rebate? I would definitely give it a shot, if I were you. Can't hurt to try, can it?

Tom

• I like it!!

jeff
  • guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    Read the fine print on the coupon and any accompanying letter. There should be effective dates on the coupon and some form of issue date on any letter.

Somewhere it probably says not applicable to prior sales, but if yours falls within the effective dates on the coupon or after the date the letter was written, you probably stand a good chance to qualify.

After all, you did attend Camp Jeep and you did buy one after you attended. They owe you some consideration in my book.