Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• maestro4maestro4 Posts: 5
    Madman390 - A little shopping and you should be able to do better than $300 over invoice. I paid invoice for my TJ Sport (and then got the $500 rebate on top of that). There have been a few posts from people that got TJ's for below invoice.
    One place you may want to check out is Savage Jeep in Reading, PA. Just do an internet search and you'll find their web site. They claim to have "the lowest price in the country" due to the volume they deal with. Also, they'll either ship to anywhere in the county or fly you PA to drive the Jeep home (free of charge). I tried calling them, left a couple messages, but it took them over a week to call me back. I didn't like the service, but if you get a good rep it might me worth it.
    Have you tried autobytel.com? I think the response (and usefullness) there depends where you live, but I was happy with the dealers that called in response to that. They replyed the next day with competetive prices. Unfortunately I tried that avenue a little late in my shopping, and had everything set up with the dealer I used so I decided to stay with him.....
    Remember that there is a $575 withhold that DC pays the dealer when the Jeep is sold. You gotta expect the dealer to make something, but it can be used to negotiate.....

-my TJ ships out tomorrow. It can't take that long to go from Toledo to Buffalo, right? I don't have name yet.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Posts: 171
    Try this www.meltonsales.com

Haven't used them myself, but plan to.
  • Beep Beep I love my jeep. Sorry that was cheesy. I love my jeep but it has been broken into 2 times already. There is no way I am going to get a different car so I'm looking for a hard top. If anyone can give me information on them, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeep lovers. Please write
  • tjytjy Posts: 39
    It may have been cheesy but I liked it! Anyway, a friend of mine is selling his hardtop....it's black and is coming off a '93 YJ...I don't know if that meets your needs or not, but if you're interested, let me know.....

In the meantime, an update for everyone else....for whatever reason, I'm still stuck in "D" status and DC isn' sure I'll make the line this week....it's killing me!!!!!!!!!! The factory will shut down again for the next two weeks so if I don't make it before Friday, I'm doomed to wait another month......aaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me out there!!!!
  • tjy -

I'm stuck in D status too! I'm afraid it's not looking good for this week.

Just out of curiousity, what is your understanding on how the $500 rebate will be handled if delivery is after April 3 (and assuming that DC doesn't extend the rebate period)? I'm also wondering about the no/charge for the auto transmission........

Also, any '01 Wrangler owners purchased a locking gas cap? I've heard that the '01's require a different cap than earlier models. True?Recommendations?

Enjoy, it's a top down day!

jeepcrewzn
    locking gas cap is different for 2001 TJ's but is only $15 so when mine comes in....if it ever comes in....I'm going to get one....my dealer already has them in stock.

The rebate should have already been applied, mine was taken right off the top, before taxes were applied so regardless of when my TJ comes in, I've already locked in the rebate....when you order is when you get the rebate, not when you take delivery....it should work that way for everyone who orders while the rebate is still in effect.

I ordered a 5spd so I don't know about the no charge auto at all but I would assume the same thing....if they were offering that when you ordered you're all set no matter when it comes in.......
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    They had originally told me at the body shop that I wouldn't get Thelma back until Wednesday, but they had her ready before noon today. I was in an all day meeting and couldn't go get her until after work.

The paint job on her top looks great, but only time will tell if it holds up or not.

I was very disappointed with the clean up job they did on her interior. As a courtesy, they always clean your vehicle inside and out before you pick it up. They did fine on the outside, but they apparently used Armorall on her door panels and dash, and they smeared the crap out of the surfaces! There are dark areas where the Armorall was applied and light areas where they missed.

I didn't want Armorall or anything like that applied anyway, but they did. I like to just take a damp cloth and wipe down the dash and door panels or maybe use one of those foam interior cleaning products like "Tuff Stuff."

I will have to take her back in the morning and ask them to re-do the interior. Since they used Armorall, I guess they'll have to go over it again with the stuff and get it on evenly this time.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • tonkadavetonkadave Posts: 102
    Good luck with your order. Thats the same jeep and options i will order (if i get up the guts) except for the full doors. I just dont like the way they look. Did you know you can get the half doors and then order upper door panels with sliding glass windows aftermarket. Quadratec.com has them for $299.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    ...the first Jeep Wrangler Owners chat will be tomorrow, Thursday, March 8, 6-7pm pt/9-10pm et.

Hope to see you there!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• saenzskisaenzski Posts: 50
    I have seen those top half door sliding window things. I was thinking about getting those before I went with full doors. I was thinking the 300 bucks was a little steep. I figured on getting the full doors now and buying half ones later. That was before I went doorless. Now I take them off when the top comes off.

Its all a matter of what you like, but I figured I would share my thoughts.

by the way

see here

http://www.angelfire.com/geek/jeep/

Later

Alex Y2KTJ

• rs1157rs1157 Posts: 41
    OK this is big news for some. I f you go to www.Jeep.com and you price a wrangler say a 2001 sahara in CANADA fully loaded soft top, it comes to 30,165 CD dollars. Seems like a lot righ, well when you convert to US dollars you get it for 19,500 or so. Sahara!, also if you by it in Canada you get a 5 year warranty instead of 3! You problable do not baleive me. You can see for your self and get the conversion rate Cd dollar to Us dollar at yahoo fianance exchange rate. This is with no haggling also, you probable ca nget one for close to 19,000 clams. Oh ya there is only one difference. Instead of having a Wrangler sticker on the side you have a TJ sticker, which you can change for 10 clams. Maybe going north of the border is the right way to go. Any comments post it.
    Rs1157
  • saenzskisaenzski Posts: 50
    Any hassle getting it registered back in the states? Is anything different? I am reminded of the New beetle made in Mexico. It can be bought in Mexico and the conversion puts it alot cheaper.
    BUT, you will have a time getting it over here. Getting it registered and all that too. I know the old bugs were still made until last year. You could buy one in Mexico for about 7K. It sounds like a lot, but that is a car that was discontinued in the states in the 70's. Not a bad deal, but the emmissions were different and you could not just drive it across.

Not sure about Canada, but it sounds too good to be true.

Please someone set me straight.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,805
    We really need a message board over in Smart Shopper for this question (maybe we have one!). I hear lots of stories as I scan the discussions. Honda apparently doesn't honor Canadian warranties. Nissan apparently doesn't care. Some people say you need to switch out the metric speedo and that will make it impossible, legally, to verify the mileage when you trade it in, adversely affecting resale.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The body shop didn't put Armorall on Thelma's door panels and dash. There was just something on the cloth they used to wipe down the surfaces, and whatever it was came off OK. I took her back this morning and they cleaned the interior again. Everything is OK now.

• saharanutsaharanut Posts: 134
    Hello jeepers...
    hopfully I will be a new jeeper (2001 sahara)
    looking forward to meeting all of you at the chat
    thurs night

see ya
    Terry Birmingham, Alabama
  • rs1157rs1157 Posts: 41
    Can some one tell me when the plant is going to be down and when it is runnig, I heard it is down the whole of july, what about after this week, down for a month? No clue/

RS1157
    When are you getting your Jeep? Are you ordering one or buying from inventory? Give us some more details.

Welcome!

tsjay

hello tsjay
    not sure yet...dealer has the one in staock i want...but..not sure if I will be able to get it anytime soon..getting a black/black dual tops..
    is DANA the way to go or not...I will not be going off-road that much...
    thanx
    terry
    I just read your post in "meet the owners" and I see that you are having trouble convincing the better half that you should get a Wrangler.

Take a look at Thelma's web page, and you can read my poem about my experience in dealing with Momma's reluctance to let me get a Jeep.

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

Good Luck!

Mrs. Saharanut, LET THE BOY HAVE SOME FUN! You'll probably end up loving the Jeep too!!!!

tsjay

Great poem...going to go use it on Mrs. saharanut now...thanx
    nice website too...
    I've been shopping around...BIG diffrence between dealers here as well...$2500-$3000

I'll hug my jeep as soon as I get her...
    I went with the Dana 44, but I don't plan on any severe offroading. I just like the idea of a sturdier rear end, and it might hold up better if I ever go to a lift and bigger tires.

You give up the availability of ABS with the Dana 44, so you have to decide which means more to you. I didn't mind forgoing the ABS in order to get the Dana 44, but that is up to you.

One thing I wish is that I had gotten the TracLoc with the Dana 44. Since I was already getting the Dana 44, the TracLoc would have only cost $285.00, and there are several people in here that have said that the TracLoc is real good for ice and snow. I didn't know how useful it was when I ordered Thelma.

If you would take the time to go back and read a lot of the old posts in here, you might get some real good tips on what options to get.

I think you get it anyway with the Sahara, but that subwoofer makes a huge difference in the sound quality of the radio. If you end up with a Sport, be sure you get one with the subwoofer, unless you are going to upgrade your sound system with after market stuff anyway.

tsjay
    thanx for the info...
    I think the sub comes standard on the sahara now..
    we dont get much ice or snow here...just wondering if the DANA really is worth the money..
    I'm gonna keep the factory stereo. just add a amp..& new speakers...
    I'll keep you updated on the Mrs Saharanut progress

Keep huggin'
  • rb123rb123 Posts: 51
    Will I had my first chance to drive my new wrangler in some deep snow, and it did great. Where I was it was almost bumper deep ,and this this seemed unstopable.

By the way tsjay, the dana 44 includes the trac-
    loc. So if you have the dana 44 you already have a trac loc.
    Not true, Kimo Sabe.

I wish you were right, but you do not automatically get the TracLoc with the Dana 44. You have to have the Dana 44 in order to get TracLoc, but if you want TracLoc, you have to order it and it is an additional $285.00.

You might be thinking if the package that calls for TracLoc, which means you get the Dana 44 AND TracLoc, which costs something like $585.00 (or something like that).

It IS confusing. But, believe me, if you get the Dana 44 as part of the Canyon wheel and 30" tire package, you don't get TracLoc unless you ask for it and pay the extra $285.00, which I wish I had done.

And I AM JEALOUS! Bumper deep snow!!! Man, would I love to take Thelma out in those conditions!

Hopefully, you will tell us more in the chat tonight.

Later, my friend.

tsjay

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    Still in D-1 status, but as of yesterday, I have an estimated ship date of 3/15. End of March still seems reasonable if they can get it out the door next week.

rs1157 - The rep I spoke with yesterday was not aware of any plant closings or slowdowns. However, it does seem odd that history had been somewhere in the 3-5 week range, and we'll be closer to 7. I think that we, along with tjy, are in the same batch heading through the plant right now.

saharanut - welcome to the group and good luck on getting the Jeep through purchasing.

-twylie
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Also be aware that you don't need the Dana 44 to get the trac-lok limited-slip differential. I have it with the regular dana 35 axle. You can get ABS that way, and I did spring for both of those options. Both have been pretty useful in keeping me out of trouble.
    ok...so I can get trac-loc without DANA...
    with the 30" tire group right...
    how about ABS?...does that come with DANA?
    Didnt know I needed a college degree to get a jeep.
    thanx twylie
    Hey Everybody! Just wanted to check in and give an update on my 2001 TJ. Found out this afternoon I'm in D1 status now with an estimated ship date of 3/16! With any luck, I'll have my TJ by the last week of March as it only takes around 9 days to ship from Toledo to the D.C. metropolitan area!!!!!!!!!! I'm starting to see the light at the end of a very long tunnel (I ordered 2/7) and can't wait to take delivery!!!!!!!!!!!
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    No, ABS does not come with the Dana 44. In fact, you can't get those two options together at all. Boy, that does sound confusing. Just know that trac-lok is always an option, and ABS is only an option with the Dana 35.
    I'm really not planning to do any off-road riding..
    but that might change in the future...
    is getting DANA my money's worth or should I stick to ABS then?

Thanx for the info
    Terry