Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    LOL! And he was finally apprehended by Glen, gman1259, who finally tracked him down in his own Wrangler...
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    Desno,

Well, mine is the Roady2 that has the FM Modulator built in the unit, but I couldn't find a clear station to broadcast from, so I bought I PIE adaptor that plugs into the CD Changer control on the back of the stock radio. From the PIE adaptor I connect to the Roady2. So, to answer your question, yes, it's plugged into my stereo. *lol*
  • I'm at about 6000 miles, switched over to mobil 1, i know i didn't run a whole tank through it for a good test, so my figures aren't going to be right on,, but i have never had anything near 19 before, I have been getting 18 with hwy only miles.

I drove ~ 80 miles on 2 lane highway and 25 in town yesterday, calculated out to be 18.75 mpg.

I'll let you know when a get a chance to check a full tank / or 2.

jeff

I just love math so much,, can't get enough of it at work so i have to find reasons to do some at home.

assuming i'm getting 19 mpg now vs 18
    3000 mile interval on oil changes
    I'm saving 8 gallons of gas
    @ $2/gallon

$16 savings on fuel just for switching oil.
    enough to offset the added cost of Mobil 1.

bump the interval up to 5000 miles
    it saves 14 gallons of gas / $28
    enough to pay for a mobil 1 filter & some beer too!!
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    It's going to be tough to prove cause and effect in your case, since the engine is still breaking in. You could expect some improvement in gas mileage as the engine gets broken in.

I do believe some, or maybe even all, of the improvement you have seen is due to Mobil 1, based on my experience with it in my 94 Z28.

Years ago, I had a 94 Z28 that had some lifter noise on cold starts. The car had around 40K miles on it when I got it, if I remember correctly. I was a nut in those days about keeping track of gas mileage. I would check gas mileage EVERY tank.

I had owned the car for several months, so I had a good, accurate history of gas mileage, and it was right at 20 MPG. I continued checking every tank after switching to Mobil 1, and I gained 1 MPG for a 5% improvement in gas mileage.

What's even more important is that the lifter noise disappeared almost completely with the Mobil 1, and the little noise it did make stopped much sooner than it did with conventional oil.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    We switched to Mobil 1 last oil change also (6200 miles, I think). I've been keeping track of the gas mileage but haven't seen much difference other than it seems to be more consistent. I think that is more a factor of the engine being broken in more than the oil. Mileage (other than the tank when we were off-roading, which was 14 mpg!) is running 17 plus and 18 plus mpg. When it was new I had a couple of tanks that were over 19, but that was probably going downhill with a tail wind. Tomorrow's fill-up will be interesting - it was quite windy tonight.
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    glad to hear it, Tom!

I was wondering if you were still going strong.

-Dan
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,978
    One of these in my garage would nicely match the 1949 Jeep Truck front end hanging over my garage door. :-)

Detroit Concept Truck for Jeep

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Pretty cool! I like it!
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    IFS or solid axles? :)

It looks like like AEV's Brute truck, but modernized. Wonder if that was their inspiration and drew on the longer chassis of the Unlimited (but redesigned for added strength).

Sure looks appealing though! It'd be a perfect vehicle for a diesel. :)

-Paul
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    Paul... 2 solid axles, passenger side pumpkin. Look closer at the pic. Detroit Auto Show is gonna be FUN this year. :-) I can't wait to go! And it does have a diesel. It's the 2.8L CRD from the Liberty. I think we're looking at another '07 Wrangler teaser. This looks more "mature" than the Rescue ever did.
    I think you are right... this looks a LOT more public / production ready. I'd be curious to see how the interior looks - I find that is a REAL good indicator of how close it is. If it looks real, it's close. If it looks like the Jetson's car, then it is still a ways off...

-Paul
    I really like this one - I wasn't crazy about the Rescue. Too bad they are introducing it at the Detroit auto show - IIRC it is something like a week after the LA auto show, so I'll miss it. If it looks as good in person as the photo, and if they could sell that diesel in California, I know what our next vehicle would be!
    Nice pics, but your Jeep wasn't dirty enough

-Paul
    "Nice pics, but your Jeep wasn't dirty enough"

You should have seen the back window when we got home! Actually, we've had rain which settled all the dust down. It's been very sunny since, which dried out any standing water, but not enough to kick up dust. There's been some wind which blew any smog/haze or whatever away so it has been perfect 'wheeling and sightseeing weather.

If anyone is interested in seeing what SoCal looked like this past Sunday (my 'wheeling trip to Cuyama Peak), they are at: http://community.webshots.com/album/219225529PBYpqi .
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    It turns out that my 1999 Sahara's exhaust manifold crack is in a spot we can't reach with the welder, so I decided to go ahead and get the Banks Torque Tube header. Quadratec sold it to me for $399.95 including shipping. So my motorcycle purchase plans get postponed AGAIN. I can't really complain too much; I've had my TJ for 2.5 years and this will be my first major repair. So now we'll see if the newly updated Banks header will resist the cracking demon...
    Anybody know of a good exhaust setup for a 2.5L engine?

-Paul
  • jpk257jpk257 Posts: 43
    The fever to buy a jeep comes a goes and right now I have it! A couple questions for anyone who can help:

1) Will a golf bag fit in the back of an unlimited (I have not driven one as that will only make the fever worse)

2) From reading on this board it sounds like the wrangler is getting redesigned in 2007 - is this true? Links or any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks - Jeff (soon to be a jeep owner)
    Jeff:

I guess you have a different strain of Wrangler Fever than I had, since you say yours comes and goes. Mine came, stayed, and got worse. :)

The only cure for the Wrangler Fever I had was to get one.

Not sure about the golf club question, but go test drive one and find out! Don't be a chicken. If that test drive convinces you to get one, then it was meant to be. If the test drive tells you that the Wrangler is not for you, then you will know better than to buy one.

Hope you end up getting the vehicle that you will be most happy with. If it turns out to be a Jeep, then COOL!

Tom

• My grandma bought me a warn snatch block for my birthday,

I had to explain to her what it was, but she was happy it was something i really wanted.

jeff
    I would think that you could make a golf bag fit in the back of an Unlimited one way or another. I put 2 large gym bags and 2 small coolers (lunch pail sized) in the back of our Unlimited without folding the seat forward.

I'm not sure the clubs would lay flat sideways, so if you wanted to lay them flat you would have tumble the back seat forward (or remove it). I would guess they would fit upright. If you did this, then I would recommend getting a hard top or making sure you don't mind messing with the back window. There is a bar at the bottom of the back window that is sort of a pain to manipulate if you want full access to the back. The hard top's back window has hydraulic lifts and all you have to do is lift it up.

The best way to see if it would fit is to take your clubs with you when you go look at one.
  • desnodesno Posts: 28
    JPK,
    Can't really comment on whether or not it will fit in an unlimited, but I know my golf clubs fit in the back of my jeep with the back seat tumbled forward. I had to put it in there in an angle, but I could have easily layed it side ways with the clubs resting on the tub of the jeep. Hope that helps some.

des'
    get a rack! :)

-Paul
    Paul rode with me at Turkey Bay.

His Jeep is on its way to Huntsville, but it won't be there in time for this weekend's wheelin', unfortunately. :(

Tom

for the weekend after that!

-Paul
    Paul - So how long does it take to drive from here to there? I'd love to go 'wheeling with all of you, but it probably is a bit far for a weekend trip for me...
    It is being shipped out here - they picked it up on saturday and should be here this saturday (weather permitting). driving.. you could probably make it in 2-3 days or so.

-Paul
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I just spent a week in Vegas and rented a Wrangler the weekend my wife came out to join me. We have a good friend with a TJ out there so we got to see some out of the way sights in the surrounding mountains. Had a really great time and the scenery was fantastic. I may try to collect some data on availability and rates for wheeling destinations around the country. After getting to explore some of NV in a Jeep, I think I'll try to plan my future business trips to locations that I'd be hard pressed to drive my Jeep to short of taking a couple weeks off.

-twylie
    have clauses though about using Jeeps for offroad purposes. That was specifically stated in my contract and to me personally when I rented a Jeep in Hawaii last year. So if you DO plan to rent and offroad, then be sure to stick to the stuff that won't cause damage (and you may want to wash it off before returning it!).

-Paul
    if not to go offroad?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Beats me. Why, I've even heard of people carrying a roll of paper towels to wipe bugs off the grille every time they stopped. It's hard to imagine someone like that taking their Wrangler off road!

;--)