Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• I was in Newport Beach about 8 years ago. Very built up!!!! I have an old friend who bought a house on the beach in 68 for $70000. We laughed at him at the time. I was in Vermont Friday and Saturday staying with friends in Felchville, pop.600. It was lightly snowing and then became crystal clear at night. Beautiful. You could smell the wood burning stoves and hear no noise and it was completely dark. Roads were slick but no problem. Just drove slow. It made me wish I had the soft top on. I would have put it down, heater full blast, driving slow on those old roads and had even more fun. But I had the hard top and still had fun. Then I drove across Vermont (Sat AM @ sunrise thru New Hampshire) to Cape Cod. Went to Coast Guard Beach for a few hours and returned to Connecticut. About 14 wandering hours in the Jeep and I had a good time. The first snow is exciting-at least it is in Vermont. Have Fun-John
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    What would be a good basic winch that could handle a TJ in a place like Turkey Bay? I could opt for the 9.5ti from Warn, or I could be more practical and get something perhaps not as feature-laden. I was thinking about the 8000 or 9000i.

I notice Warn has to housing types. One has everything in a nicely shaped housing. The other has a separate box-like thing. What's the difference between the two?

Also, what kind of line and what kind of fairlead would ya recommend?

-Paul
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Hi Jeep Buds! Thought I would update you guys on my wheel bearing issue.

I have canceled my order at the Jeep dealer and ordered one at NAPA. I can get it for $139.95 instead of $225!!!

The NAPA part has a lifetime warranty, so how can I go wrong?

Thanks, Mac, for you input!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Paul:

How many winches do you want to buy in the next 15 years or so?

I bought the 9.5 Ti not because I needed 9500 lbs capacity, but because it is so well sealed against moisture and so well constructed that it should last a lifetime. It was reliability that I was after.

I figured I might as well spend the bucks for a good one and then be done with it.

Tom

Tom, I understand that. What about the 9.5ti housing sets it apart from even lesser Warns like the 8000i or 9000i?

I think the 9.5 has better water protection, but how 'bad' in comparison are the other models?

-Paul
    Sorry, Pal, but someone else will have to answer your technical questions. The 9.5 Ti is the only winch I have ever owned, so it's the only one I have experience with.

I went by what was being said in Jeep message boards and by what little understanding I had about the differences.

I'm sure an 8000 would be a good winch too, and it would probably last a long time also.

You could go to Warn's website and read about the different models.

I just liked the looks of the 9.5 Ti, it was the "latest and greatest" model at the time of my purchase, and it was getting rave reviews.

I did like that thermal indicator feature that warns you when to stop pulling before you burn up the motor. Not having any prior experience with winches, I just thought it sounded like a good feature to have. I mean, come on, shouldn't a Warn winch "warn" you???? :)

Tom

I agree. I'd LOVE to have the latest and greatest, but the L&G habit gets really pricey, esp for stuff like that and electronics.

So in respect for my other half, I want to add it, but keep the expense such that it won't blow her away when I get a winch. Tough for me to justify the higher price winch right now. I guess I need to get edjamakated before I decide anything!

-Paul
    Don't you know the wife is gonna get mad no matter what ya do, so you might as well do what you WANT to do! Geez, can't I teach you ANYTHING???

Tom

but I want to minimize that nonetheless. :)

-Paul
  • Anyone have advice on buying a replacement lens for for spare-tire carrier brake light? Local dealer tells me lens is not sold separately and insists I must buy an entire assembly for $163.00. Jeep is an '01 TJ. Thanks!
    You can usually contact some of the 4x4 places online, like quadratec or jcwhitney, or 4wd.com. they may carry spare parts. You can also check out various 4x4 shops in your area. When people upgrade to larger tires, the 3rd brake light is usually pitched for a solution that will fit the larger tires on back. I saw a 3rd brake light assembly at my local shop this weekend. You can also try salvage yards.

You can find it, just think of where Jeep parts would be. :)

-Paul
  • I'm a ebay addict, I've sold & bought any number of things on ebay, including a car.

I check it almost before I check retailers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=7938758818&category=33716

here is your brake light assembly, if you want to save a few bucks on shipping I'll be most sellers would take the lens out and throw away the rest if thats what you want.

there are several others, none have bids on them, you must be the only person wanting one, seems like anytime I want something, so does everyone else.

jeff
  • why are they just stuck out there on the bumper with little if any protection for the electrical connections?

Do covers protect them or do they trap moisture inside?

Jeff

If its ok to leave my winch outside unprotected, can can I leave my blender & toaster outside too, I'm running out of counter space?
    Most folks would tell you that a winch cover does more harm than good. They do just trap moisture inside.

I think the concern is more about submersion of the winch than exposure to weather.

Tom

Have yuo hugged your Jeep today?
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I've got a 3rd brake light and mount assembly in my basement waiting to go to the landfill. Email me your mailing address and I'll send the lens to you.

-twylie
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I'll ship it out this week. You can delete your post if you want; I have your address copied down.

-twylie
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,794
    Allow me - it's often not a great idea to put too much personal info on the net (insert zinger about paper towels here <g>).

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I told you somebody would have something they don't need any more! :)

twylie, you always seem to come through, just like Mac and Tom. I know we tell Mac this a lot, but let me tell you that I appreciate all you do to help this group from advice, to parts, to whatever. Your insight has helped me on countless times and I just wanted to express my gratitude for it.

-Paul
  • jbonejbone Posts: 35
    I am planning on buying a new vehicle next year and doing lots of research in the mean time ('05 Wrangler Unlimited vs. '05 Nissan Frontier vs. '05 Tacoma). Can anyone tell me if a forward facing baby seat AND a booster seat will fit in the back seat of an Unlimited at the same time? I haven't test driven one yet, only wheeled in a friend's CJ-5 (AWESOME), and need to know for my two girls to ride with me on a daily basis - plus four wheeling.
    Hi and welcome. ( I THINK you are new here? )

Sorry, but I don't have the info you need, but I didn't want you to think we ignore people around here.

Someone will be around to help you before too long, I guess. Maybe none of us know the answer, so you might just have to "test drive" to find out.

You'd better be prepared to have FUN like you have never had with any other vehicle, if you get a Wrangler!

Tom

Well, I've fit 2 adults in the back of my TJ. It was cozy, but they did fit.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to take a car seat and a booster seat to the dealer and try it out. If they want to sell you one, they'll help you with testing it out.

It is a matter of security, so they should understand and appreciate your concerns.

-Paul
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I have no idea, but I would guess that they would fit width-wise. The one thing I would say, though, is that getting anything that weighs much in and out of the back seat is not particularly easy and probably hard on the back.

It may be my imagination, but it seems like it is harder with the Unlimited than with the Sport - though that could be the difference between the seats in a '98 (Sport that hasn't had a back seat in it for several years) and an '04 (Unlimited). Before I totally set my heart on the Unlimited, I would definitely take both child seats to a dealer and try them out. The whole front seat tilts forward, but there seems to be a bunch of real estate between the door and the back seat, making it difficult to reach. Since I'm small, I just climb in when I'm unloading something - something that my husband can't manage well (but then he has a much longer reach).

I haven't checked out the re-designed Tacoma, but I know that the Wrangler's seats are a HUGE improvement over the old Tacoma seats. I couldn't wait to replace my 2000 Tacoma with an Unlimited.
  • Ditto to Paul's comments. This group is very helpful; I hope to contribute at some meager level in the future.

I had a fun experience tonight (not like Turkey Bay or anything, but still made my day). I stopped at a grocery store on my way home. As I went back to my Jeep (Yep, Mac, it is a '98), a car with a mom/son pulled in next to me. The boy was about 5 years old I'd guess, and was partially opening his door to get out. As I walked up, he stopped and hesitated, so I said "Howdy". He smiled as his Mom came around to help him out, and said "Mom! He's got a Jeep!" Actually he said this twice, with a big ol' grin on his face, just in case Mom missed it the first time. He clearly thinks a Jeep Wrangler is pretty darned cool; I doubt he has ever said "Mom! He's got a Volvo/BMW/Oldsmobile!"

Not that there's anything wrong with a Volvo/BMW/Oldsmobile - - but it just ain't a Jeep! I look for him to show up on this site in 11-12 years, and Tom, Mac, Twylie and all you others will steer him right! Thanks!
  • I have a jeep AND a volvo.

jts
  • jbonejbone Posts: 35
    Thanks for the input - it almost sounds like its worth considering a std wheelbase wrangler then and not the Unlimited? I was thinking of the increased cargo space for my work needs, and the leg room for the kids as they get bigger so I naturally assumed the Unlimited would work. My oldest can climb in herself but the younger one I have to put in the seat. I love the Rubi, but am having a hard time convincing the wife that the kids'll be safe in a Wrangler around town...

Just got the '05 Tacoma brochure in the mail today and I cannot see the appeal of the new body with all those weird angles - plus I read on a Tacoma forum that a guy took his new 05 Taco out wheelin where he went many times before with his previous Taco, and the supposedly indestructible composite (read: plastic) bed cracked! Needless to say the Taco is now at the bottom of the list.

I would love to go to the dealer to drive a Wrangler, but we are no where near ready to buy at this time, so as a scientist, I am collecting data in the mean time! Plus there are no 05 wranglers here at our local dealer (small town) yet.

Glad to hear about the updated seats.
    The thing about Jeeps is that you HAVE to drive them to appreciate what they really are. They are ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY the most fun vehicles in the world!

I was the world's worst about trading cars all the time. I would get a brand new car and be all excited about it for about six months, then the trading fever would start all over.

When I bought Thelma Jane (my 01 Sport), I was buying my THIRD brand new vehicle in 21 months!!!! Obviously, I couldn't keep up that pace, since I got more and more upside down on each one when it came time to trade it in.

I was $8000 upside down on trade-in on the Grand Prix that I had just bought eight months earlier when I bought Thelma Jane. I took out a home equity loan to cover $6000 of that $8000 deficit. The other $2000 went on the loan for Thelma Jane. Stupid? You Betcha it was! But, that's how bad I had Wrangler Fever. Do I regret doing it? NOT ONE TEENY WEENY BIT! I love my Jeep.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I am just as excited about Thelma Jane as I was the day I got her. This same guy who always got tired of a new vehicle within six months is still all fired up over the Jeep he bought four years ago!!!! I have no desire at all to trade Thelma Jane!

Don't be too "scientific" in your evaluation of your alternatives. A Jeep is not very practical and would not survive a "logical" comparison with almost any other vehicle you might compare it with. But, when it comes to PURE FUN, not another vehicle on this earth comes close!

Keep us posted on your progress, OK?

Tom

• JBone,

I've got an unlimited, I bought it because of the extra length. I like the space behind the backseat for all my stuff. I have ridden in the backseat, as have several of my friends, everyone seemed to have enough leg room, the extra 2 inches in the unlimited's backseat makes it alot better for adults.

jeff
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I have a jeep AND a volvo.

Such conditions have been known to induce mild schizophrenia if precautions aren't taken! ;-)

tidester, host
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I don't want you to knock down the Unlimited until you try it - both Wranglers can be difficult. I was thinking that the Unlimited seems harder for me because the back seat is further away from the door, and therefore seems more awkward for getting heavier/bulkier stuff in and out. It wouldn't matter as much if you put the seats in and just leave them there most of the time, and your little one will be in a booster seat eventually. Though I suspect putting an infant in a carseat every day would get old after a while (but perhaps if I were young again it wouldn't seem like such a problem).

That extra leg room IS nice, along with the extra cargo room. In fact, I haven't taken the seat out yet in the Unlimited and routinely carry 2 lunch size coolers and 2 huge gym bags (only a little smaller than small hockey bags) in the back without tumbling the back seat forward. This from someone who finds the back seat of the Sport more useful as a saddle rack under my stairs.

That extra wheelbase also makes the Unlimited more stable (so I guess it would be safer in that sense) and therefore easier to drive.

There isn't any difference in the size of the '04 and '05, so that won't matter if you are evaluating the back seat capacity. And since this is a big factor for you, I wouldn't let a small thing like not yet being ready to buy stop me from visiting a dealership to find out. That is a big part of research - and it helps to quickly rule out ones that won't work before you get serious. Otherwise you could do what we did - get a car (or in our case, a Tacoma) that you end up hating.
    I had somebody ask me about body damage on my Jeep the other day - whether I had any or not. He said the sides were soft. My response was, "Yeah, when compared to a ROCK or another car!" He asked me if I worry about side impacts. I said I did - as anybody should be in any car. I then pointed out that I don't worry too much about parking lots. With my rocker guards (and bars), the odds of somebody hitting my side panels are quite slim.

I dare somebody to open their door next to me too quickly. :) Go ahead, scratch my powdercoat! Do ya feel lucky? heheh

Seriously, if you want protection, add the offroad body armor and strong bumpers. That will help around town and for those times when cars are sliding on the roads in ice. :)

-Paul