Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I have a 97 and my seats already sit up quite a bit. I'm very happy with them and don't need the risers. I think mtngal could address this one, as she has a new Unlimited and is a bit shorter than me and could tell you if they would be worth it (I don't know if she has risers). If I WERE to get them, I'd probably opt for the aluminum ones. I wouldn't want the plastic under me breaking in the event of an accident.

Which bars did you end up ordering? I'm curious. I have the Toys by Troy ones.

I have pictures in my Webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_ under 97 Wrangler.

-Paul
  • dave__dave__ Posts: 80
    Those rockers look really nice! I had not considered rockers when I first got my Jeep but after a few months of people telling me it's hard to get in while grinding their shoes on my door sill I'm starting to reconsider. That and they really do look great.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    When I bought them, I wanted something that looked nice and was functional. Those rockers made great sense for me.

There are several manufacturers of this style like Toys by Troy (mine), AEV, Poison Spyder, FourXDoctor, and a few others that I know are there, but can't think of the name. :) At the time I ordered, the FourXDoctor ones were new and the Poison Spyder's weren't powdercoated yet.

All are a bit pricy, but the protection they offer the lower rocker is worth it. And, like you said, they look great (better than nerfs IMO).

-Paul
  • gman1259gman1259 Posts: 209
    Sweet!!! But you thing the Wrangler has no storage....
  • I went with the Reverse-A-Bar for the added step. I assume they mount lower, and will not require removal of the front splash guard. Again, we are not expecting to get off-road anytime soon with our shiny black 2005, so the clearance is not a concern now...

I hear the more recent models have the seats mounted lower (not sure if that is correct).
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Thanks for the info on the 4 low - we'll try putting the tranny into neutral and see if that helps. If not we'll take it into the dealer - it is still under warranty.

The seating is definitely different than it was in 1998. I prefer the seats in the '98 - they fit me better. I haven't yet purchased a seat lift kit, but I'm planning on it as soon as I get back. I had hesitated because I thought I would go with a separate back support/seat type of thing, but the bottom of the one I have isn't as comfortable at the Unlimited's seat bottom.

I think that the earlier seats offered more lower back support. The new ones are comfortable (not too hard on the bottom but still supportive). The seatbacks seem to be designed for bigger people all the way around, where the '98 seats seem to fit my back perfectly.

Both those concepts are interesting in various ways. That Gladiator is REALLY nice - I'd also buy that in a heartbeat. The other one isn't practical for me - I can't afford a dedicated off-road vehicle.

Since the Rubicon vs. regular Wranglers was brought up - my 2 cents is that they are really nice vehicles and I continue to dream about one. It would cost more to modify a Sport to Rubicon's specs than to buy the Rubicon itself. However, I've been perfectly happy off-roading my current stock Sport and Unlimited and don't feel an overwhelming desire for the extra equipment the Rubicon offers. So for me it isn't cost-effective.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    "Thanks for the info on the 4 low - we'll try putting the tranny into neutral and see if that helps. If not we'll take it into the dealer - it is still under warranty."

MtnGal:

You guys were trying to switch in and out of 4 low without having the tranny in neutral??? Maybe something has changed, but as far as I know, the tranny has always needed to be in neutral to switch in and out of 4 low.

Going into and out of 4 Hi is fine with the tranny in gear, but not for 4 Low.

I could be wrong, and, if so, please correct me someone. Check your owners manual, Harriet. I think it will tell you to have the tranny in neutral and that having the Jeep rolling just a couple miles per hour helps too.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Tom:

Yeah actually I just started looking at the Rubi. Currently I have an 00 Mustang and have narrowed my search down to 2 cars... A 05 Subaru WRX and the 05 Jeep Rubicon. It's a really hard choice both are in the same price range. With a Jeep no more drag races at Bristol =( haha. Oh and no i've never owned a Wrangler...my mom has a Jeep Grand Cherokee, if I do get one I definately want the short wheel base rubi not the unlimited. Also all the 4 wheel drive vehicles we have had ford, chevy, jeep all have to be in neutral before you can shift in and out of 4 wheel low.
    Ruff:

Hey, a ride in a topless/doorless Jeep on a nice day is just about the ULTIMATE! It's not like riding around in a ragtop car with the top down. It's even BETTER for some reason. Maybe because you sit up nice and high in a Jeep, and with the doors off, well, it's just a feeling you have to experience for yourself to understand just how cool it is.

I owned a 99 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible, so I do have a basis for comparison.

Also, if you want to do some offroading, then there is no question that the Jeep is for you. Jeeps are truly amazing as far as what they will do and where they will go.

Tom

Can't you tell this is the first auto we've own in 10 years, and the first auto 4x4 ever? Never had this issue with the 5 speed.

I can understand the WRX and the Wrangler being your two short-listed vehicles - they share an important characteristic. They are both FUN vehicles! And if that is what you are looking for then a short wheelbase is definitely the way to go. Adding all the extras on the Rubi allows you to have fun in more places.

We haven't had any problems with the soft top in the snow, and the Unlimited is definitely sure-footed in the snow. I've even found out tonight that you can put a pair of (relatively) short skis inside the vehicle without problems. But longer skis could be a problem, especially if there was someone in the back seat. Does anyone use a ski rack? This is something completely new to me.
  • Yeah, I love my mustang it gets plenty of looks. I just need something that will go in the snow. I'm hoping to go test drive a 05 dark blue rubicon that a local dealer has, it was raining today so i'll have to wait until this weekend.
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    Steve, yeah I was talking about ESPN.com I think it resembles it a little.

Gladiator - That is one Bad A$$ looking truck! I hope that baby is at the NYC auto show. I'm gonna try to go this year. It's fun to go to, but the crowds are INSANE.

The only chance for me to go would be on a weekend day (the same time the entire city of NY decides to go).

-Dan
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    Yes,they are.
  • What are some good websites to look at Wrangler Accessories like light bars, brush guards, etc?
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    www.quadratec.com

www.jeepline.com

and ebay are my favorites.

our jeep club www.trjc.com has a classifieds section, many of the club websites are a good place to look for toys.
  • A Gladiator in Jeep red with black trim, tinted windows and with those tires-lovely! J
  • I have a '97 Wrangler with a hard top and was wondering what years from '97 Wranglers up to 2005 would the top also fit.

Thanks for any information.
  • jbonejbone Posts: 35
    We have to convince DCX to build this truck!

Here is the reply I got from Jeep when I asked them to build it:

"Thank you for your recent email expressing interest in one of our

concept vehicles.

Unfortunately, because this vehicle is still in the concept stage, there

is no pricing or production data available. We appreciate your comments

and suggestions. Feedback like yours is paramount to the longevity of

the Jeep brand.

Many of our concept vehicles have made it to market, such as the

Plymouth Prowler, Dodge Viper, and the Chrysler PT Cruiser. I have

documented your interest and will forward it to the product planning

department.

If you have further questions, please feel free to use the reply link

below. You may also call us on our toll-free number at 1-800-964-0600.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you."

There is a Forum for the fans of this truck here:

kosmos, "Jeep Gladiator- People who want it built!" #, 22 Nov 2004 8:37 pm

Also you can contact Jeep about building this truck (as I did) here:

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.jsp?screenName=newV- ehicle&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm%28%27R%27%29

If enough people contact Jeep and DCX to show their interest in the Gladiator, we could have an awesome new Jeep to play with!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,140
    I would have thought there would have been more than 18 posts about it over in the Gladiator forum - I guess the word's not really out about the concept yep.

It would nicely match the '49 Jeep truck front grill hanging over my garage door :-)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thanks Tom

I'll look into the laws here but i think NY does have the side mirror law. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. As soon as i get my taxes done i'll be hunting out a desent deal. I'm hoping if i go in with a bunch of Edmunds.com material i'll be able to get a decent price.

Take care all
    Schafudd:

Hey, I'm not the world's best car trader, but I sure used to get a LOT of practice! :)

You can read about my buying experience here...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~tsjay51/thelma.html

You will see how there was $3400 difference from the worst deal to the best deal among the three closest Jeep dealers to me! I was going to factory order exactly the same Jeep at each place, and, of course, my trade-in vehicle was exactly the same one at each place. We have apples to apples to apples here!

Arm yourself with knowledge before you even begin shopping! Don't let the dealer talk "sticker," just make him talk price in relation to INVOICE. Find out how close other people's deals have been to invoice. Know what is a reasonable amount to expect to pay in relation to invoice.

You can get the invoice price for a Jeep equipped exactly as you want it right here in Edmunds, but be warned that the true invoice cost to the dealer will be higher than Edmunds will list. There are advertising fees that Edmunds does NOT include when they give invoice price. These are legitimate fees that the dealer has to pay, and they are line item costs listed on the real invoice. There is a national ad fee and a regional ad fee, and they totalled somewhere close to $300 on my Thelma Jane, if I remember correctly. The regional ad fee is higher in highly populated areas, since air time on TV and radio is higher there.

Don't let them start trying to deal with you on your trade-in until you have first gotten their best price on the new vehicle. They will confuse you by claiming to be allowing you so much on the trade-in that they cannot come down on the new vehicle, or they will tell you that they have cut so much off the new one that they cannot come up any more on your trade-in allowance.

Get the best deal on a no trade-in basis first. IT's OK to tell them that you don't want to discuss trade-in until you have gotten their best deal on the new vehicle. That's just part of YOU BEING IN CONTROL instead of THEM!

Be realistic about your trade-in when the time comes for working on trade-in allowance. If you have done a good job negotiating the price of the new vehicle, then the dealer is only making a few hundred bucks on it. He needs to get your trade-in vehicle at a price that allows him to make a profit on it. Remember, if he wanted a vehicle like yours on his lot, he could go to an auction and get one for wholesale price.

Find out what average trade-in value is for your vehicle, and be fair in what you give it for a rating on its condition, since this makes a big difference in its value. If you have held the dealer's feet to the fire on the new vehicle, then don't be ridiculous on what you expect him to give you for trade-in. You always have the option of selling it yourself, and you will always get more for it that way, but it can be a REAL hassle trying to sell one!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Tom

• 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    If you haven't seen this video of the Gladiator at the Detroit Auto Show, click it now!

http://autoshow.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/articles/103626/page012- .html?tid=edmunds.e.autoshow..leftnav.13.*

I copied this from a post in the Gladiator forum.

Pretty cool stuff. The "backseat/bench folds down to create a longer truck bed.

I'd love to see this truck built.

-Dan
  • I owned a '49 Jeep in the 70's. No top. It was a very interesting ride to work. I had to wear tankers goggles and a surplus Army parka and wool sweaters on bad days. Always got strange looks at stoplights, especially in the winter. Very slow,dependable, no radio (only a transistor radio taped to the dash) and I had to cut holes in the floor for water to run out. Drove it 12 months of the year in Connecticut. My dog , Huckleberry, used to ride in the back. No easy task-he was half black Lab and half Great Dane. Bought it for $1100.00 and sold it for $1300.00. Where did you get the '49 Jeep truck grill? Nice addition to the garage! Autoart is alot of fun. John
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,140
    It cost me $10 at an estate sale, and I cherry-picked the best of the three that were for sale that day. I'm sure the neighbors have given it a few strange looks too.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• If your last date, or the wife, :-) complained about wet dog smell, well, wet dog smell can penetrate most anything. And the non-dog lovers all seem to have ultra sensitive noses when it comes to dog smell. I wouldn't bet that rhino liner would solve your stinky problem.

I thought about just removing the carpet. However I went to Home Depot and got a moving blanket and try to keep the dogs on that. Some of that carpet powder made for removing smells helps from time to time. And finally I made a manly potpourri of sagebrush wrapped in cheesecloth and stuck it by the heater vent to overwhelm the dog smell.
  • jbonejbone Posts: 35
    Began looking at the Unlimited today but won't be buying for awhile till the finances are right...

Anyway, I am looking for a little info:

My wife asked me if the height of the windshield would be a problem for me seeing out as 1. this would be my daily driver and weekend player (yea!!!), 2. I am 6'3", and 3. have never owned a Jeep only ridden in two CJ-5's a few times.

Today we stopped at our local dealer who was closed, and looked at their only TJ-L, an '04, and my wife thought the top of the windshield where the visors fold up would be my primary field of view...any thoughts?

I plan on getting the stick, and was wondering what people thought of the new 6 spd...

Also the 2005 brochure shows and mentions only medium grey or body color fender flares - what happened to black? Is it truly not an option?

Finally, I have researched a few buying options but was looking for feedback on what online sites people might recommend - specifically has anyone used the site that starts with jeep and ends with warehouse? If so does anyone know delivery charges to the east coast?

Anyway, I will keep you posted as I continue my journey towards my first Jeep (I can hardly wait)!

Thanks!
    I don't think you'll have any problems with the seat height and/or line of sight. There is lots of headroom - my 6' husband won't mind if I put in 2" lifts on the seats (I'm short, and the Unlimited's seating is just too low for me. I can't see enough when off-roading). In fact, the sun visors are pretty useless for me - I now keep a hat with a brim in the vehicle to compensate.

I understand that the grey was so disliked that they have gone back to offering the black.

I can't really help you with on-line sights. When I bought my Unlimited, I used Edmund's email to dealers option and then bought from the first one that offered me what I wanted to pay. It worked really well.
    I seriously doubt if you would have any trouble with the windshield header blocking your view. As a matter of fact, lots of folks are not exactly happy that the last couple model years have lower seats than did previous years.

Praise GAWD! The BLACK IS BACK! I believe that starting December 1, 2004, they went back to black tops and flares. I'm not sure of that date, but I AM sure that Jeeps are being built with black flares and tops again. I DID NOT care for the grey AT ALL.

Good luck, Jbone, and ask all the questions you want to. Keep us posted on your progress. We're all rootin' for you to get a great Jeep and a great deal on it!

You might want to take advantage of the time before your actual purchase to have any dental work that you might need taken care of. At least get your teeth cleaned, BECAUSE EVERY TIME YOU GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF THAT JEEP, YOU ARE GONNA SMILE FROM EAR TO EAR!!!!!!!!! Of course that smile returns during your day at work, when your mind drifts back to that Jeep. Your co-workers will think you are awfully happy in your work all of a sudden.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Excellent!!! Although there are a lot details that are kind of funky and 'concept car-ish' (like the interior), the overall design, lines and proportions are so 'right'. I especially like the large canvas sunroof cover..........very WW2!