Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    My girlfriend has caught it now,,,

she not the type of person to go at anything slow,, she's decided she wants one, it would not surprise me if she calls tonight and says there is jeep in her driveway.

I'm trying to convince her to do all her homework (I'm even offering to do most of it for her) on pricing and options. But as everyone here knows,,once you've decided to buy a jeep,, its hard to be patient.

jeff

Marry her! QUICK!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,972
    There are some outfits that will analyze an oil sample for you for around $10 - might be fun to do when then new stuff you just put in gets around 3,500 miles on it.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Slight problem just occurred with the putting 31" tires on Unlimited so need some actual experience from others. Has anyone put new 31X10.5 Goodyear or BF Goodrich tires on an Unlimited without spacers or lifting it? And have you done some serious off-roading over rocks and ruts and rough country without them rubbing on the fenders or on tight turns? I'll explain later what the problem is...just need to hear from others first. Thanks...........
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    thanks guys. A few years ago(when I had a Mustang) I would have tried to chase him down. I guess I've chilled out behind the wheel these last couple years.
    Gman- I'd probably lose my mind driving in LA.

How about something more positive...... I changed the oil myself for the first time on this Wrangler and it felt good. It helped that it was 70 yesterday. I made the switch to Mobil 1 as well. I've got around 54,000 miles on her and figured it can't hurt to make the switch to synthetic. My old oil was also really black.

Question though - Couldn't find a Mobil 1 filter, so I went with the Fram. Any opinion on this Filter? Is there really a big difference between the "cheap" and the more expensive filters?

-Dan
    Keith:

I have a buddy at work who owns a 97 Wrangler Sport and runs 31 x 10.50 BFG Muds on his factory Grizzly wheels (15" x 7" wheels with 5.5" backspacing). He has no lift at all on his Jeep. He disconnects his sway bar for wheelin', and he gets only very minor rubbing.

I have a two inch lift and run the same size tires, and I get some pretty bad rubbing on the flares. Thelma Jane's flares on the front fenders are pretty wrinkled from the rubbing. The differnce between my Bud and me is that he has the factory 5.5" backspacing, while I run after market wheels (AR 767s) with only 4" of backspacing. My tires stick out past the flares and get into the flares at full stuff with the wheels turned, but his tires stay inside the flares at full stuff. Now, if he turns the wheel, he can get a little rub.

You can go with the 31 x 10.50 tires, Keith, and stay with your Moab wheels. I would not recommend that you disconnect your sway bar, though, for wheelin', unless you don't mind some rubbing and possible distortion of your flares.

You can see from the pics below how the front tire stuffs inside the flare, but if the wheels were turned to the left or right, the tire would get into the flare. You can also see the awesome flex I get when the sway bar is disconnected! It sure evens out the ride. Look at the angle of the front axle and how level the cabin is. Now imagine if the whole Jeep was at the same angle as that front axle. I would feel like I was about ready to tip over. That guy there was so overwhelmed by the amount of flex I get that he passed out. :)

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Briefly, the blacker the oil the more contaminants it's holding in suspension, which is a good thing. The largest particles get removed by the filter, the rest get removed with the oil itself when it gets changed. The 4.0 is an old design with larger clearances than a modern engine. This means more piston blow-by, therefore more contamination, which is a good reason not to extend oil change intervals.

Regarding oil filters, yes there's a difference between cheap and expensive. However, there are some good cheap ones, like Wal-Mart's own brand (SuperTech), and there are some (like Fram's cheapies), that I'd never install.
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    Thanks for the filter info.
    I bought the Fram "Tough Guard" version. I'll look around a little harder next time for the Mobil 1 or the Supertech.

-Dan
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    "Does anyone know if the 05' Rubicon soft top is always a Sunrider top (sun roof)? in both by itself and when you get the dual top option? thanks"

The Sunrider option is only available on an Unlimited, not the short wheel base Wranglers. So it would be available on an Unlimited Rubicon but not a regular Rubicon. It is the way the Unlimited's soft top is designed, so as far as I know, you would get any Unlimited with a soft top with it, regardless of whether it is a soft top only or dual top. I think it's really neat - I've used mine a couple of times.
  • trew123trew123 Posts: 4
    Just wanted to drop a line to all here to say thanks! I ordered a new Sport about three weeks ago with all of the options that I want. I have always wanted one and since I put my foot down and told my wife that I am getting what I want this time (read: wife and 2 kids approved), my new patriot blue soon-to-be big tired baby is on its way! This group has helped me figure out what I want to add / disregard etc. that I just say thanks!

Trew
    Trew:

Welcome and CONGRATULATIONS on that new Sport!

If we have been a help to you, then that's super. Glad we were of assistance.

Stick around and be part of the family.

I'm sure happy for ya! I know you are gonna love that Jeep.

Tom

• jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    its a relief to hear others looks the same and isn't a symptom of problems..

jts
  • Just saw this forum tonight and I will be a new owner as soon as I can get as much research as possible. I have never owned a Wrangler (or a Jeep for that matter), but have reached a point where I really want to get one. Sounds like most of you have already reached that point........

I live in MN and will use it hunting and fishing on anything from gravel roads to no roads at all, but no mts or even large hills in the near vicinity. I will also us it to commute 30-40 miles each day. I will take any suggestions that you are willing to use board space for. If it is too much, feel free to email me with suggestions.

From what I have read so far, most seem to like the 6 vs 4, but what else should I be looking at. Most seem to put on the 31" x 10.5" tires. I know model is personal preference, but have any of you owned various models and would pick one you like best. Would you buy new or used? I would imagine I would want a hard top due to the cold weather in MN, but I think I would need a soft top too because I know I will pull it off any chance I get.

I also have kids ages 5 and 7 so is the back seat feasible for them. Thanks in advance for any comments,
    Paul
    You're not a saint are ya??? :)

Welcome, Paul! Glad you have joined us.

All of us will be more than happy to fill you in about these wonderful things called Wranglers.

You have quite apparently been sticken with Wrangler Fever, and the ONLY cure is to "getcha" one.

Let me make a suggestion. Read the back posts. Doubt if you will read all of the 16K + posts, but spend some time reading as many as you can. Also, the search feature works pretty well, so take advantage of it.

This will work better if we respond to specific questions. These questions will occur to you as you read the old posts, and some of these questions may actually be answered as you read.

Lord knows we love to talk Jeep, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

If you want the 4.0 L six cylinder engine, then you have eliminated one model from consideration, the SE model, which offers only the four banger. That leaves you the X, the Sport, the Sahara (they still makin' Sahara's?), or the Rubicon. Don't forget the Unlimited, which comes in a regular and in a Rubicon version. If you need the extra room, the Unlimited might be what you want.

I'll bet you will encounter LOTS of mud in the type of off roading you will be doing up there in MN, so really good, agressive mud tires will be important for you.

I would also plan on getting a winch as one of your earliest mods. You say you will be out in the woods for hunting purposes, so I'm guessing you will be alone out there a lot. A winch might be your best friend at times.

Paul, you sound like the perfect candidate for a Jeep, since you are an outdoors person. You have a young family, and those kids will always remember the good times in the Jeep. Hopefully, mom will fall in love with the Jeep too.

You ought to do the Jeep Jambo up near Gilbert, MN, sometime. I have seen video from the first couple years they had it there, and those people were having FUN!

Ask any and all questions. We'll help ya all we can.

Tom

• jptjjptj Posts: 53
    Eugene my 98 TJ turn over 200K this week
    Life is good
    Walt
    :)
    200K! WOW! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

How about some details?

Which engine? What kind of use has Eugene seen? What problems have you had to have taken care of over all those miles?

Tom

Paul:

One BIGGIE that I should mention is gearing. I don't know if you are getting the four speed automatic or the six speed manual, but either way, gearing is important.

You will most likely want to go with oversize tires at some point, so you want gearing that can handle them. Re-gearing is very expensive.

I think you would do well to avoid the 3.07 gearing. I personally know people who have that gearing and run 31" to 33" tires. They HATE their gearing. They have totally lost the use of 5th gear. Their crawl speed in four low is WAY too fast. They don't get good compression braking going down steep hills.

If they still have such a thing, that AAS package is a KILLER deal. It used to be only $850, and it got you the real nice aluminum (alloy?) wheels (They were the Canyon wheels when I got Thelma Jane, but they have gone to the Ravine wheel now, which I think is just a nice as the Canyon), gas shocks, 30" tires (GSA's unfortunately, which people say stands for Get Stuck Anywhere's), and the Dana 44 rear end with 3.73 gears. This is just a SUPER GOOD DEAL. You may never need it, but you will get the Dana 44 rear end in that package, and it is a much stronger axle than the Dana 35. What you would benefit most from with that package are the nice wheels and the good gearing.

Tomster

P.S.

If you would like to check out my website about my buying experience with Thelma Jane, here's the link....

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~tsjay51/thelma.html

Also, I have put together a little website about my favorite wheelin' spot, Turkey Bay in Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area in western KY. There is some stuff in there that might help you a little about what mods to get for your Jeep.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I was waiting for the D44 plug! :) Keep in mind the Unlimiteds already have it. And the Rubi's have the 4.11 gearing, which is a big plus.

Paul (nice name BTW), Tom is a vast fountain of knowledge on Jeep features! For your activities a Wrangler is an ideal vehicle for you. I agree, a winch would be pretty much a necessity for you. You could even use it to haul the game closer to your vehicle. :)

As for type of Wrangler, I'd recommend an Unlimited for your hunting. If you plan to bring back game, the Unlimited will give you more room for your hunting gear and the catches of the day. If you plan on doing a lot of stuff out in the woods with it, you could even go so far as to remove all carpet and put in Line-X or some kind of spray in bedliner. This will make it a lot easier to hose out after your trips to get the mud and everything else out.

-Paul
    200K? Wow, and I thought I put a bunch of miles on mine. My '98 seems to be getting less and less use - it only has 122,000 miles on the odo.
    I've either got to accept the auto dimming mirror on the Unlimited or take it into the shop in the next couple of days. Does anyone else notice whether theirs seems to dim in shadows during the day, especially in the afternoons? Since it is too bright out to put on headlights, it makes it tough to see other cars sometimes. I can (and have) just turned the autodimming feature off on occasion, so it isn't that big of a deal. However, if the mirror isn't working right I need to do something about it now - I've got almost 32,000 miles on it now and it will be soon out of the bumper to bumper warranty. If this is just the way things are with the mirror, I'll leave it alone, but if it is that my mirror is too sensitive, then I'd like to change it out. Anyone else have experience?
  • stillersstillers Posts: 1
    After a weekend in the airport parking lot, my '02 Wrangler has issues.

Air bag light was flashing on the dash when I got in (Had not happened before). No power to electrical systems and won't start. Jump did nothing.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
  • jescue1jescue1 Posts: 12
    My 04 Rubicon has the auto dimming mirror-it does the same thing. I notice it when I back out of the garage during the day.It takes quite a while for it to brighten up again,and other cars do not seen to do this.Same thing happens when I drive on a shady road-it is worse with the top down.
    It sounds like a bad battery. I mean a DEAD battery that won't even allow your Jeep to start with a jump. It could be the posts are corroded, or there could be a loose connection, though.

Tom

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I retrofit an autodimm/compass mirror in my Jeep and it works well, top on or off. Fast reaction to changes in light. It's half dark in my garage then takes a few seconds or less to lighten completely up once I back out. Does your TJL have tinted windows? If so, that may be the cause. Mine are clear and it seems to work as expected. You could test by pulling the rear window one day or driving other similar jeeps at your dealership. HTH

-twylie
  • Hey everybody, after recently selling my '98 Mustang GT and for years riding in my best friends CJ-7 I'm attempting to get a wrangler myself. Unfortunately seing as i am a poor college student in Michigan (I go to WMU) I am forced to go quite a few years ('97ish) back to find some in my price range. I have found a couple that would suit my needs and allow me to do all the fun stuff too ;) . My question really is that im looking at some jeeps that have higher milage than some of the others posted but are also cheaper, and im wondering how the Wrangler performs on higher mileages say over 115k (im under the idea that these have been relatively well kept and they both seem to be in the same good condition). All that i am looking at are the In-line 6 cyl. All this is because im looking at two mainly one with 105k and one with 130k, and the one with 130k is about a grand cheaper which would save me a lot right now, but i dont want to be spending more than that because i got one with more miles on it.

I guess im justt looking for a little insight on how the wrangler is with so many miles on it, thanks.

-Kevin
    i stopped at the dealership to verify that mine worked at all.

i had never noticed it dim until one of the service people demonstrated it for me. I couldn't see much difference.

with the dark tinting on the HT windows,,i'm not sure how much benefit it gives.

jeff
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Without examining the vehicle in question, I can can only say it depends on how it's been treated and serviced. Driven sensibly and serviced regularly the 4.0 should easily exceed 200K. In fact there is a report of just such an example a few posts back. Even average vehicles seem to reach 150k in good condition.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    I just tripped 20K. Woo-Hoo!

For those buying Jeeps, I turned here first when I was in the market (especially after finding out my local Jeep salesman drove a Rav4). Everyone was enormously friendly and helpful. And Tom's always available to try to talk you into BIG tires.

-Mike
  • SORRY I HAVE TAKEN SO LONG TO REPLY...IT'S THAT DANG WORK JUNK AGAIN. I PUT BF GOODRICH AT/KO ON THE UNLIMITED IN A 31X10.5 AND THEY LOOK GREAT, RIDE GREAT, AND MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD IN HOW THAT JEEP LOOKS. I PUT IT BESIDE A RUBICON UNLIMITED AND WITHOUT THE NAME ON THE HOOD YOU WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE (UNLESS YOUR STARING AT THE TIRES). I DECIDED ON THESE TIRES FOR ALL AROUND PERFORMANCE IN WHAT I LIKE TO DO WHICH IS MOSTLY THE MOUNTAINS OF COLORADO AND THE ROCKS AND DIRT OF UTAH. THEY'RE NOT GOING TO BE THE BEST FOR MUD, BUT DO BELIEVE I WILL GET OUT OF THAT CLAY THAT TURNS TO CONCRETE IN UTAH WHEN THOSE "OUT OF NOWHERE" RAIN STORMS HIT. IF I CAN EVER FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT A PICTURE ON THIS FORUM, IT WILL BE DONE BECAUSE THIS VEHICLE IS "BEYOND AWESOME" LOOKING. IT IS WHITE WITH A KIWI TOP (NOT GREY)...A CROSS BETWEEN GREY AND TAN...FABULOUS LOOK.
    ABOUT THESE TIRES AND FIT...I TALKED TO LOTS OF PEOPLE, JEEP DEALER, TIRE DEALER, 4X4 SHOPS, AND THIS FORUM...LOTS OF DIFFERENT ANSWERS. I GOT MY 4X4 MAN TO RECOMMEND HIS BUDDY AT DISCOUNT TIRES...AND WE WATCHED AS THEY WENT ON AND CHECKED FOR ADEQUATE SPACING. SO FAR THEY LOOK FINE AND SHOULD DO THE TRICK...IF THEY RUB AT ALL IT WILL BE UNDER THE MOST EXTREME CONDITIONS (AND THEN IT'S A 2" LIFT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM). TO SAY WE ARE EXCITED WITH THE LOOK IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT...THIS IS ONE BEAUTIFUL MACHINE WITH THOSE BIGGER TIRES ON HER. THE DEALER GAVE ME $60 EACH FOR THE 5 GSA THAT CAME ON THE CAR AND I JUMPED ALL OVER THAT DEAL. HOPE TO POST A PICTURE SOON AFTER I READ TOM'S ADVICE ON HOW TO DO IT. NEXT TO MY WIFE (WHO IS MY BEST FRIEND AND LOVES JEEPS AND THE WILDS AS MUCH AS I DO) THIS IS THE PRETTIEST MEMBER OF OUR FAMILY! LOTS OF STARES ON THE WAY HOME FROM THE TIRE DEALER AND ONE GUY AT THE COFFEE SHOP ACTUALLY WALKED UP AND SAID "GREAT RUBICON"...FORGOT TO LOOK AT THE HOOD! :D
    OOHHHHH ,,, those all caps make it very hard to read,,, and when my program director sent me an all caps email I thought he was YELLING at me...

anyway,, to post pics to forum,,,

upload your pictures,,
    your pictures will display with appropriate links below the pictures

then copy the link and paste it into your message,, its really simple.

use the link labeled "tag"
  • So sorry about the ALL CAPS...some of us older guys have a hard time seeing these days. Wasn't YELLING at you...not my style. Will try to behave next time...don't want to make the teacher mad and get bad grades. Hope this is better for forum readers. :sick: