Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Keith:

Hey, don't worry about those bugs that hit your grill and windshield. They won't have the guts to do it again! :)

You know what's the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when he hits your windshield?? His hind end!

Speaking of bugs on the grill, I heard of a guy who used to stop at rest stops along interstates, get wet paper towels from the mens room, and wipe the bug guts off his grill that had accumulated since the last rest stop. Can you believe that???

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Okie Dokie.

In the original post, the pics must have been much bigger in file size, or there were a lot more of them, or something I guess. By the time I saw the post this AM, the two pics were only 60 KB apiece and should not have been a problem.

Tomster

• mac505mac505 Posts: 2
    I just recently bought a 1998 Jeep Wrangler. I amn excited to dive into modifying it and adding to it right away but I can't seem to find the Chilton's for it anywhere. Any one run into this before and where should I be looking for this instead? It seems all of the manuals I have found only go up to 1995 or 1997.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I wouldn't mess with a Chilton's.

I would spend the cash and get the following:
    Factory Service Manual - very technical and very detailed
    Haynes Manual for your vehicle - more generic, but covers about 90% of the stuff you would need to do.

I have both, and I can do almost all the stuff I need to do with the Haynes. The FSM covers EVERYTHING, but I find the Haynes easier to use. Between the two, I'm covered.

This is the Haynes Manual you need:
    50030 - Wrangler all models '87 thru '00.

-Paul
    Hi and Welcome, Mac!

Congrats on that Jeep. First ever short wheel base Jeep? What mods do you have in mind?

It will cost ya $90, but it will be ten times more useful than a Chilton's.

I'm talking Factory Service Manual. It's the same manual used by dealership service departments. It is THE definitive source of info.

Here's the link.

http://www.techauthority.daimlerchrysler.com/

Tom

• 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    I'm with you, I tend to lean towards subtle rather than bling. I like the Satin, it reminds me of Brushed Aluminum. I've considered getting the whole Satin package of hood hinges, windshield hinges, door hinges, etc etc...I think it would look sharp. But alas, that all costs money :)

-Dan
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Yeah, I'm going to go with the Satin mirrors; I like the look better and they're cheaper to boot. I might go ahead and get the Satin taillamp guards while I'm at it-they're only $40 more. Slippery slope here I come... :P
  • Commonly available where? Is it specific for Wrangler or any vehicle? Found one in 4 Wheel Drive catalog for jeeps that sounds like yours, but would rather pick one up locally. Thanks...
  • OK, Tom:
    I want the name of the guy that told on me! Me thinketh us Jeep people are a little fanatical...but you gotta luv us!! ;)
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    ".......Commonly available where?.........."

Commonly available from most suppliers of Jeep accessories!

Yes, the one in the 4WD cat is the type I mean.
  • Thanks for the info and hope I didn't "bug" you! I just could not help myself with that one! Must be time for a Scotch and dinner. :D
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Posts: 102
    I think the owner's manual recommends temperatures of at least 70; must have something to do with the expansion of the fabric and all (and not with the need for jackets and caps!). I do know it's easier to manipulate with higher temperatures. Still, I've been known to put on a leather jacket and gloves for the drive to work, knowing that it would warm up over 75 by afternnon. (I'm sure this will annoy some purists, but it's another way that a Wrangler with the top down seems like a more stable motorcycle.) Weighing the inconvenience of putting the top back up (and messing with the zippers) vs. partially freezing off various body parts. Life is all about tradeoffs and compromises, eh? I'm hoping the zipper lube restores the magical operation of the zippers (BTW, thanks for the educational link Tidester!).
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I didn't have any particular problem with the top and it sure seemed pretty hot to me while I was washing and waxing. I was very surprised to see the thermometer saying it was only 65 out. I think it has to do with the sun up here (I'm close to 6,000 feet) - it is more intense and probably heated up the vinyl more than if I had been at sea level.

Does anyone have a suggestion how not to get wax on the flares?

Also, I think my flares are starting to fade a tad (could be my imagination). I remember mac talking about a product for the soft top, I think it was called 303? Would that help protect the flares from the higher UV rays?
  • mickinksmickinks Posts: 2
    Been dreaming about getting a Jeep for a year or more and finally pulled it off a week ago. I got an 05 Rocky Mountain soft top. It's even more fun than I thought it would be!!!
    Just found this forum a few minutes ago and after reading a few pages thought I would post a comment.
    I'm thinking of adding a few things to make it my own.
    Any mags or web sites I should check out?
    Thanks
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,547
    303 Protectant is good for vinyl (and I've had good luck with Vinylex from Lexol too).

In the news, Jeep May Add Four Door Wrangler, Pickup to the Lineup (Inside Line)

And welcome & congrats, Mickinks!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Mickinks:

WELCOME! And, congratulations on that brand new Jeep!

Glad you found us and hope you will stick with us. Just make yourself at home.

Tom

• usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Posts: 24
    Still no Jeep, no ETA on delivery.

How can it take so long for an '05 to be built near the end of the model year?

Semper Fi,

Mike
    Welcome! Good choice to get the Rocky Mountain Edition - it's a nice package. What color is it?

Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are quite a few experts around here. As far as mods - it depends on what you are planning on using your Wrangler for - are you going to be using it for a commuter vehicle, like my Unlimited, or are you going to be doing some serious off-roading? Or something in between?

It amazes me that a vehicle like the Wrangler can meet such different needs!
    Tom - reference to your post, number 16630. I can't believe that you had the guts to post a message with so many bugs in it!
  • trew123trew123 Posts: 4
    I also have been waiting a while for mine as I ordered mine the 4 weeks ago from the dealership. I spoke to the salesman yesterday and he told me that it will be here next week. If you ask me, I am starting to get a wee bit impatient. However, you know what they say about good things and waiting.

Trew
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    You should consider a safari top (if they make one for the Unlimited). It is the top you saw on my Jeep at Camp Jeep last year. With the doors (and uppers on), it does a good job of keeping the cool morning wind from blowing on you. I am running that configuration right now on my TJ. Mornings are still cool and moist here in northern Alabama and the doors + safari + duster keeps me warm enough and I can remove the uppers to put on top of my homemade trunk (under the duster) and have the open feeling.

Camp Jeep 2004
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, April 17, 2005
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

While I love the top down, I burn WAY too easy. :shades: But with my setup, I could easily stow the safari in the trunk if I wanted to as well and run w/o top for a little while and put it back on later.

Now that spring/summer is here, I took off my soft top completely (hardware too) and am running just the safari top. I have the Rain Gear cover to protect from morning dew and rain (I like it dry inside!) so I feel comfortable with this setup for the summer. I doubt you have issues with moisture during this time of year in Frazier Park. :)

-Paul
  • usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Posts: 24
    Trew,

I'm there with ya. My order went in the 21st of March.

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • mickinksmickinks Posts: 2
    It's Patriot Blue, with the 6 speed. No serious off roading here, just a fun commuter.

I just thinking of adding a few things. Nerf steps, door guards....

Thanks
  • mac505mac505 Posts: 2
    Paul and Tom-

Thanks for the info. I haven't used Haynes in the past for my other vehicles, but this is my first jeep. So I think I will take your advice and get both the Haynes and the factory Service manual.
    Take a look at Paul's jeep (photos just above) for what he did for rocker panels/nerf bars. I really like them, and perhaps some day I'll get something like that. I still haven't decided if I want to spend money to make the Sport more off-road worthy or not - we've been driving it less and less and the Unlimited for just about everything. But if we start really off-roading the Unlimited, we'll need to do something - it came with the standard side steps (which will tear off easily on trails). With the price of gas going the way it is, we've seriously cut back on our pleasure driving, including off-roading (at $2.49 per gallon, it adds up too quickly).

Paul - I've thought about a safari top - I really like their looks (and I burn as easily as you do, I bet. Sunblock and a hat with a brim are now standard equipment in GiGi). But thinking about the cost versus how much I'd use it - I'm leaning toward not doing that. My main desire for getting the soft top was to wander around the mountains and be able to see them all around me, including above me. Otherwise, I like my air conditioning too much for the open air but shaded feel.
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    redrocker, I did the same this morning. It's about 77 right now, but when I left for work at 7a I could see my breath. Chilly ride! :surprise:
    We're (northeast) getting a little spoiled these last 3 or 4 days, 70+ temps :shades:
    The bottom drops out on Thursday, back to reality. By the weekend 50+ temps :(

Paul, I think you've been asked a million times which brand rocker protectors you have. Sorry, but can you tell me again? :blush:

-Dan
  • jimlw2jimlw2 Posts: 122
    Hello Jeep Wrangler Folk,

I'm a newbie drawn here by the "spell" I find myself in over the Wrangler Unlimited (not that I wouldn't go for a SWB, though). Ever since seeing an advertisement in a man's magazine for the Wrangler Unlimited months ago...I can't get it out of my mind! When I was in my early 20s, I really wanted a Wrangler but ended up settling for the "practical", less costly car I could better afford at the time. My current obsession with the Wrangler maybe an early mid-life crisis, I don't know. I say early but other's tell me at 38, it's definitely mid-life crisis talking. On the other hand, my Dad in his mid-70's says it can't be mid-life crisis until I'm 50...whatever. Maybe I just friggin' like the Wrangler and want one!! Yeah, that's it! Back to subject...

I've test driven both hard and softtop, Unlimited and SWB. I like them both! I like the slightly lower price tag and compactness on the SWB but I do like the longer, smoother riding Unlimited, especially with potential for two kids in the back sometimes. I'm up in the air about the hard vs. softtop (where the air is the whole point, right!). I love the open air concept but I don't really like prolonged sun beating down on my head and face. Can the softtop windows be removed leaving the top covering the cabin? I'm hoping so. If not, I think I might opt for the hard top in the Winter and then hope I can find some sort of cabin cover over the driver/passenger and just leave it open for the Spring/Summer/Fall.

Also, as best as I can tell, the main 'H' package items not available as options on the regular 'E' package Unlimited are the "premium cloth" seats, 'color coded, extra-wide fenders', chrome grill cover, and silver dashboard. Does anyone have an opinion on those seat and fender "upgrades"? Do the premium seats feel more comfortable and appear to withstand more use or exposure?

I'm also looking to go manual transmission even though I've never owned anything but automatics. Seems to me a Jeep Wrangler should be a manual experience. However, my wife wouldn't drive a manual if you paid her. She's hoping I'm going to get over my Wrangler "thing" and it'll die off like my other middle-aged man dreams. I'm slightly hoping she, too, will like the "freedom" the Wrangler represents and I'm almost willing to go automatic if it helped me sell her on the idea of getting a Wrangler. In other words, give her hope that I'm not the only one who would benefit from a little "convertible" time away from being servants to our young kids once in awhile.

I appreciate any feedback. For the many pages of comments I've read, you're all a really good group of folks with a wholesome passion for your Jeep Wranglers. I like how everyone here is pretty positive and offers good-natured poking. Some other vehicle forums are not as friendly and can get way off-topic. Your spirited kindliness makes me want to join the Jeep Wrangler "club" of owners even more!

Thank you,

Jim (gas-sipping Honda Civic family-man looking to waste a ton of money on gas, get pelted with bugs, and occasionally get wet and dirty because it sure seems like just the ticket to break the doldrums of indoor office life)
    Jim:

No sense in doing all the psychoanalyzing. It's not middle age crisis or anything of the sort. You simply have Wrangler Fever. There is but one cure: "gotta go getcha one!"

Wrangler Fever didn't strike me until age 51. Sure wish it had come earlier in my life. I didn't know the fun I was missing.

You only THINK you know how much fun a Jeep would be. Wait until you get one, and you will see that they are ten times more fun than you ever imagined.

I also make this prediction... your wife will fall in love with your Jeep too. No doubt about the kids: that's a given.

A topless/doorless ride on a beautiful day is just about the ultimate! And, no, it really isn't like riding in a convertible car with the top down. It's a whole different feeling, and it is MUCH better. I owned a 1989 Mustang LX convertible, so I have a direct comparison.

Sounds like you would want a "safari" top as an after market addition. A safari top is a cloth top that has no sides and covers the cabin from the windshield back to the elbow where the roll bars start down toward the floor.

Jim, you only live once, and take it from me, you REALLY, REALLY need to get yourself a Jeep. It will make a new man out of you. It will put a smile on your face that will make people wonder what you have been up to.

Yeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted!

Tom

• deckboat1deckboat1 Posts: 12
    Anybody know of good web sites to sell my 2003 sport? Not sure which one's draw the most response. thanks
  • embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    All this talk about new Jeeps, I searched myself in the discussion just for fun. Wow, did I ever bug you guys with every question possible when I was buying. No wonder nobody waves to me! :cry:

And while there's no such thing as a dumb question when you truly don't know the answer, some of my inquiries made me wince. I still feel like a Jeep beginner, but I guess I've learned more from this group than I realized.

Now, what's this "speedometer" thing I keep hearing about?

-Mike