Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Undercoating . . . bad. This sums it up.

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/1996/September/10.html

My Chevy pickup manual says it could void the warranty. Still they tried to sell it to me, sigh. Scotchguard on a Wrangler ! ! ! Dirt is a badge of honor. Heck, the mayor is even putting dents in his ride.
  • is a patient dog. Thanks for the pic.

Gary
  • Yeah, heard that one before too. Excellent... no rust-proofing/undercoating. No Scotchguarding. No anything else. Hey, makes my life simpler! :-)

Must... wait... patiently...

Andrew
     - Cute pic Tom.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Must say that Ross Allen is better looking than a boxer and an Irish Wolfhound I saw today. Though the chinchilla (a live one) was cute and so soft! Tom, make sure you give that pup a hug from me.

Andrew - it sounds like you've got a good deal on that Rubi so taking a bit of a hit (as long as you can afford it) wouldn't be that big of a deal. I'll most likely try to trade in my Taco when I can afford to - I'm not going to get much for it anyway, and I'd rather not have to try to sell it myself. When I sold the Nissan I put in the ad "after 6pm" and would come home every day to dozens of phone messages. I was really surprised how many calls I got on it - granted, I didn't ask much for it but I made a point to say it needed tranny work. In fact, I sold it the first day and it was towed off the next day (the tranny was VERY dead). The calls kept coming in for 2 weeks! If I can possibly afford it, I'd rather trade the Taco - I'm willing to "pay" for the convenience of the dealer getting rid of it.
  • I see your point. I've recently taken an ad out in a publication but thus far there has been no interest (unlike the last time I did this) - so in some ways I wish I had the problem of people calling in all the time, but definitely with you on the convenience of letting the dealer deal with unloading the car. I'm just a little skeptical of what they'll offer for it. I suspect not much as it's about to turn 10 years old... Ah well, nothing I can do about it so no point in worrying!

Andrew
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Hey, if that Bird is paid for, and I would assume it is, since it is nearly 10 years old, it might be a good idea to keep it anyway. It's really pretty nice to have a second vehicle. Maybe you would STILL have another vehicle to drive, even if you sold the Bird?

It has worked out real well for me to have that little S-10 to drive to work.

I can leave Thelma Jane topless and doorless and keep her in the garage, if it is raining or threatening rain.

I get better gas mileage, of course, with the S-10 too.

Also, driving the truck has kept the mileage down on Thelma Jane. I have put 33,000 miles on that S-10 since I bought it, and all of those miles would have been on Thelma Jane otherwise. So, instead of having a Jeep with 39K miles on it, I would have had a Jeep with 72K miles on it, if I hadn't had the truck.

Hey, Thelma Jane WAS my daily driver for the first seven months that I had her, and I had no problem at all using her like that. It's just that it made sense to put miles on an old truck instead of a new Jeep. The S-10 had 134K miles on it when I bought it, so depreciation really wasn't a factor at all as I racked up those 33K miles that I have put on it.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Gotta take a trip to Cambridge, Ontario, today. Will be flying into Toronto and renting a car to drive to Cambridge. Gotta see a customer there tomorrow.

So, TURN UP THE HEAT!

Tom

P.S. Please stop using that darned Celsius scale for your outdoor temperatures! Geez! It says I can expect temperatures down to -18 degrees (with the wind chill factor)! That sounds WAY TO COLD! That converts to 0 degrees Farenheit, and even that doesn't sound good, so you don't have to make it worse! :)
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I believe I have overcome the language barrier, so that shouldn't be a problem when I get to Canada, eh?

:)

Tom

• Anybody have experience with the tummy-tucker skid plates on the Rubicons?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Not personally, but if you have the need and the cash it seems a sensible way to go.

I expect you already have it, but for anyone else interested, here's a link:

http://www.nthdegreemobility.com/tt.htm
    My (Canadian born) husband wants to ask you which would you prefer - cold and crisp or warm and icy? Also he suggested visiting LL Bean's web site...

We took a look at the new car dealers today and I really can't make up my mind. The new Prius looks very nice, has comfortable seats and you can't argue with 50 mpg with my 150 mile daily commute. On the other hand, that new Ford F-150 extended cab truck is very appealing - comfortable also, easy to handle and adjustable pedals are wonderful for "vertically challenged" people like me. But wait - I love the practical interior of the Element. And then there's the WRX that mixes FUN with the ability to get through snow easily. Now how's that for vehicles to compare??!!!?? If I can't make up my mind, perhaps I should just get a second Wrangler - at least I KNOW that I love them...
  • Oh yes, the Bird is paid for. I thought about keeping both, but since neither is particularly practical I think I'd be better off getting my Rubi, dumping off the Bird and eventually getting something more practical... like a Unimog! ;-)

Turn up the heat? In Canada? In winter? They grow 'em potent down there, eh? lol. I haven't checked what the weather is supposed to be like down East, but in Edmonton it's chilly enough. No cold snaps yet, but those usually don't hit until late December and then in January. Have a good trip though... and remember, don't lick any metal posts while you're up here, eh?!

Mtngal, plenty of choices out there. Although I am not keen on the styling, you can also get some pretty decent mileage out of the Nissan Murano(?) along with room and awd...

Andrew
    I haven't really liked any Nissan since they went to the Frontier. That old '88 Hardbody pickup of mine was great - it was 11 years old and had 290,000 miles on it when the new owner towed it off (that was the dead tranny). The engine was still in great shape.

I'm hoping that my Wrangler will last the same way!
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Well, I checked out my TJ's problems as reported by a 17 year old... typical. Exageration. There was some hesitation in the acceleration, but there was no problem I could find while driving. I put in some STP engine treatment and filled up with Chevron Supreme to clean things up. No more than an hour after putting it in, the STP went to work and the hesitation is gone.

We'll be putting in some cleaner gas for a while, but at 1.99 9/10 per gallon, we'll probably go back to midgrade or the cheap stuff at Chevron.

As for the gauge, is there any way to fix it? Will it involved dropping the tank to fix something in there? If that is the case, we'll get used to using the trip odo. :)

-Paul
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Chevron Supreme isn't any cleaner than the other grades, it's just higher octane, which helps overcome pre-ignition but does nothing for hesitation. Just use the recommended grade (87 octane), unless you have a pre-ignition problem.

There was a fix for the sender on the '97. You can get a dealer to bring up on their computer whether it was fixed under warranty. However, it wasn't always successful. The fuel gauge isn't directly linked the sender in the tank. The fuel sender signals the PCM which in turn tells the fuel gauge what to display. Filling by odometer reading is a good plan. I like to do it when about a quarter of a tank remains.
  • Well, we have had a great snowy weekend up here in the Pine Tree State (home of L.L.BEAN). I have decided that the 30" standard issue goodyears have to go as soon I can afford some BFG T/A KOs.

Also, it was quite an adventure to find some 13" winter wiper blades at the local parts stores.

I am not used to having a vehicle climb over the snow instead of through it like my Ram. What a change!

I don't know about anybody else, but ice builds up awful at the bottom of the windshield. DC
    should have put in some defrost elements in there!

-Bill

Don't turn up the heat, crank up the snow!
  • nolid5nolid5 Posts: 148
    I live just north of Boston and we have 33" on the ground.

Mtngal, we definitely have enough to share if you can find a way to come pick it up.:)

Rich
    I wish! Do you think FedEx would be able to send us some? We had a bit of rain last night - there's no snow anywhere around me (sigh). Though 33" is a bit much - I got my Wrangler stuck in 30" of wet snow that fell overnight one night a couple of years ago. I didn't shovel, the snow packed under the frame and I got high centered. It was a great excuse to stay home that day (I later heard they had over 100 cars stuck on the interstate). There's a huge difference between big snowfalls in the east and snow in SoCal!
  • tjraytjray Posts: 38
    It was almost a top down day down here in the sunbelt, over 65 degrees today. I would love a few inches of snow down here. Maybe by Christmas! Anyway, a couple weeks ago I got some new headlights for Ol Red. I never was happy with the stock ones, they're like me, not too bright! The new ones are Sylvania Silverstars and they are quite a bit brighter and it is a brilliant white light that makes regular halogens look dingy yellow. Not very expensive either. -Another happy Jeeper- TjRay
  • Just bought an '04 Solar Yellow Columbia Edition on Friday and I have a qustion for any kayakers out here. I was wondering what the best way to carry one is. I'm looking at the overhead racks like the Congo Cage or the Olympic Dave's Rack combined with a Yakima system to actually hold the boat, are there any other options I'm missing that might be a little cheaper as I don't have a whole lot of spare $$ lying around right now? Thanks for any help