Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• believebelieve Posts: 74
    Ok Harlan,,,someone has to ask this ....how much for the 2000 and what color
    ///yeah ..color is important.....and congrats on the new one....
    Lew
    Lancaster, Pa
    our we allowed to do this on this site? tooo late! :P
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Posts: 252
    Thanks for the reply Tom and Mac. I figured that would be the response. I am currently running 28" and may stay with that but move from the GSA's to something else without the raised white lettering.I hate to lose ANY power. I will probably keep talking to other Jeepers I meet and see if any are running bigger tires with the 3.07 and listen to what they have to say. I have printed out your response Tom for any future decision I may make. I appreciate the time and effort on your part to explain the ups and downs of any changes. Welcome to all the new Jeeps folks. This is a great forum with useable information from honest and enthusiastic people. A rarity nowadays. Have Fun & Go Easy. John
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    Tom, Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it alot, Im not very mechanically inclinded.

Mac, not sure which service schedule..i just drive...change oil every 3000 miles..etc i currently have 36K miles on tazz right now, and its a automatic tranny. Had tazz for 4 years in June.

Thanks,
    Bama
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    The coolant thing and the tranny fluid change are biggies, if they have not yet been done.

You will prolong the life of that auto tranny by having the fluid changed about every 30K miles. Mac? Agree or not?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    CONGRATS, HARLAN!

You are a man after my own heart! You are totally awesome!

Best of luck with that puppy and best of luck in selling that 00. Sounds like it would make someone a fine Jeep, with only 26K miles on it.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep(s) today? :)
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Ok, if you check the schedule in your Owners Manual you'll see that you've missed several items already. Even on the A schedule you should have had the suspension and steering greased (several times), transmission fluid and filter changed, spark plugs and more.

So, the details are in your manual, but basically:

All fluids (coolant, diffs, transmission, t/case, engine), and all (air,
    oil, transmission) filters. It's not in the manual, but I also like to change the brake fluid at least every three years or 30K.

Have the transmission adjusted while the pan is off for the fluid and filter change.

New spark plugs.

Inspect belt, hoses, steering and suspension linkages, brakes etc.

Now you're out of warranty it's important to keep on top of the servicing...................pay now, or pay more later!
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    "You will prolong the life of that auto tranny by having the fluid changed about every 30K miles. Mac? Agree or not?"

Absolutely. While I think of it, how deep did the hubs and axles get when you were playing at the strip mine?
    Not terribly deep, Mac.

I changed the front diff oil tonight. It has been looking pretty dark and kind of a bluish grey color, so I changed it tonight. I used Mobil 1 75W90, which was what I put in there last time (when the LockRight was installed a little over a year ago).

I will have the tranny and t-case fluids changed soon, and will do the rear diff myself.

Tom

• wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    John, I have a 2000 TJ, 4.0, 3 speed auto with 3.07 rear end. I replaced the 28" tires with 30". I did notice a little drop in acceleration, not enough to take away from the better look of the bigger tires. It is not a hot rod, but heck, it is a Jeep.

Terry
  • Thanks for the advice mac. The weird thing is, is that I can go out to my Jeep, as I'm actually getting ready to do, and turn the key into the on position...and I know, by the time I am ready to leave, 10-15 minutes, that it will be ready to go...once the relay finally stops clicking (I'm assuming this is the breaker kicking on and off or attempting to come on over and over again) it's fine...it will start right up....
  • usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Posts: 24
    Called the dealer last night.....the Jeep was delivered yesterday morning. They were waiting to have the inspections complete on the vehicles before giving me a ring in case there was an issue.

I will be driving up today to take delivery. Hope to have some pics.

Semper Fi,

Mike

PS - 5 weeks and 1 day from order to delivery.
    Terry. Thanks for the information.I just may go with the 30's, Where do you notice the greatest loss in acceleration? Actually, I am an old hot rodder.(Part of the problem I suppose). I used to run the quarter mile at our local dragstrip many years ago but its something that stays with you per the need for some speed-even in a Jeep. If the loss of power is not to bad I may make the change. Any info will help. I have the 5 speed. Go Easy, John
    Greetings Cap1374. I just read your message per your sound system. I had all four factory speakers replaced with Infinity speakers. I kept the original radio and CD player (soft top theft issues) and just crank the volume up. The difference in sound is very noticeable and the price is affordable. The bass is excellent. Go Easy, John
    Called the dealer last night.....the Jeep was delivered yesterday morning. They were waiting to have the inspections complete on the vehicles before giving me a ring in case there was an issue.

I will be driving up today to take delivery. Hope to have some pics.

Semper Fi,

Mike PS - 5 weeks and 1 day from order to delivery.

Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, Mike!!!!!

Man, I am so happy for ya! (In case you hadn't noticed) :)

Tom

• embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    >They were waiting to have the inspections complete.

Depending on the dealer that probably means they're putting their name all over your Jeep. In my case it was a spare tire cover and license plate holder with the dealer name/logo. In other parts of the country it means they slap a dealer decal on the back. I think there may be somewhere in the archives of this chat instructions on removing said decal if you so desire.

(Imagine if hospitals did this to newborn babies!)

Congratulations!

-Mike
  • embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    MtnGal, I couldn't replicate the quasi-death wobble on the 405. Got some bouncing and rocking -- that was I think what you said you experienced. Oddly, I got another actual wobble driving Washington Blvd in Culver City. Didn't have to pull over this time, just slowed and it went away. There's really nothing more to be done about it until the service guys chime in. In the mean time, i should probably stay off of Mulholland Drive lest my steering go out and I pull a James Dean.

-Mike
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,228
    I always enjoyed this one:

Badge/emblem removal techniques

Unless someone has figured out a way to remove the decals with a flame thrower, I don't suppose we need to drag it out of the archives.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Got the jeep bug & have been looking at Unlimiteds (automatic-wife concession).
    I noticed the EPA estimates varied from 16 city-19 hwy on the 04's to 14 city-18 hwy on the 05's.
    Did something change or did the EPA just revise their estimates.

On a very positive note, my wife after seeing some tricked out Wranglers on the dealers lot said, "If we are going to get a jeep, we are going to get a JEEP!" She wants the teraflex, fender flares and at least 33 tires. What a gal!

FutureBeachBum
  • Thanks for writing back, Tom, and for your thoughts and ideas. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. The '89 seems to be in good condition, other than the engine, so if I can get someone to get her running right for a reasonable price, I'll probably do that. Jim
    OK, Jim. Good luck whichever way you go. You are definitely on the right track in thinking that you would enjoy having a Jeep. Just ain't nothin' like em!.

Tom

Hi FBB, and welcome.

If there are any differences between the 04's and 05's that would change their gas mileage ratings, I'm not aware of them.

Good luck in your search for a Jeep. Hope you get the perfect Jeep for your needs/wants. Keep us posted on how it's going.

Tom

• jeffc_76jeffc_76 Posts: 3
    I'm looking into getting a Wrangler this summer. 4WD is a must have around here IMO but I'd like something different after driving Ford Rangers as my last two vehicles.

I really like the look of the Wranglers with the bigger wheels. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, it looks like the 16" is only available on the Rubicon model. The sport model seems to have a larger wheel/tire option available but I think this is still a 15 wheel just with a larger tire than the standard option. Am I correct that 16" is exclusive to the Rubicon? I use 4WD a lot and do some very light offroading but the Rubicon seems like a little bit of overkill for my purposes (and a bit more expensive than the Sport model). Honestly, I really just like the look of the higher standing Wranglers w/ larger tires; it's just hard to justify paying thousands more for appearances.

If I'm correct that 16" wheels are only available on the Rubicon, are there models from previous years I should look for where 16" were available? Maybe consider after market on a Sport model (might be less expensive)? TIA for any info or tips.
    - Jeff
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Well, after seeing some other people do something similar, I decided to fab my own trunk. It is not the end-all be-all for security, but it will take some work to get it open.

3/4" plywood backed by 2x4 supports for a frame and mounting point for turnbuckles. When I put my duster on, I have a nice little shelf for storing my upper windows. With the safari top on, it is rather nice. Storage isn't amazing especially since I have other stuff that is always back there, but it gives me additional water protection and reduces the liklihood of somebody getting there. Yeah, it's not perfect, but for the small price I paid, it works for me. :)

Here are a few pics (shouldn't be too big).

Turnbuckles holding it down
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Top with hooks for hauling stuff

Gate open, got storage space and it is fairly dry especially with the duster on

-Paul
  • neddnedd Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Wrangler with 32,000, it comes with a powertrain manufacturer's warranty for 70,000 miles.
    I do not know if it is a good idea to buy an extended warranty for 100,000 miles or 5 years?
    It is from Daimler Chrysler ervice contracts and it costs $62 a month for 3 years,
    with $0 deductible.

Any advice on whether it is worth it or not especially on a wrangler?
  • dave__dave__ Posts: 80
    That's a great mod! Now you've got me thinking... It would be cool to design a 'trunk' specifically for my camping gear and another specifically for my hang gliding gear. Hmmmm...

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • johnfmknjohnfmkn Posts: 9
    I think the 89 yj for 1k is a great deal you can buy a new engine for 1,600 bucks. So your still paying less than 3k for the Jeep thats a great deal. Also remember Jeep parts are cheap and easy to install yourself. Also note that the 87-95 are the favored models square head lights, and leaf springs. Dude get the YJ.
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    Just want to confirm that I found a good deal.

My local tire store has a sale on these right now;
    31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich AT - $108 a tire. + 15 a tire for mounting/balance
    He offered me $120 for the 30" spare that's never touched the ground.
    (sounds pretty good to me)

He did mention I should pick up an adapter to move the 3rd brake light up a few inches, so the 31" spare fits. Did you guys do this?

Also, I'm not having any alignment issues that I can feel. Should I have it aligned anyway, because of the new tires?

-Dan
    Jeff:

Forgive me, if I am off base in asking this, but are you possibly thinking that you have to have the 16" rims in order to have oversize tires? If so, that is not true. You can get just about any tire diameter you want and put it on a 15" rim.

Rubicons come out with 16" wheels and 31" tires, but you can buy a Sport with its 15" rims and still put 31" tires on it. You can go even bigger on tire diameter, if you put some kind of lift kit on the Jeep.

Tom

Sounds like a good deal to me. I would jump on it.

As far as the alignment, it would be some pretty good insurance to have it done, so you will know that you are not going to wear out your brand new tires prematurely.

Do me a favor, please??? Unless they ask you specifically, don't tell them what pressure to inflate those new tires to. Just see what they do.

You will want to run 28 psi in them. Trust me.

Let us know what they inflate them to, OK?

Tom

P.S. I don't remember having to do anything about my third brake light when I went to 31" tires.
    Nedd:

This is one of those deals where it is just personal opinion. Some people really like having an extended warranty, and for some it really pays off to have one.

My opinion is that if your new vehicle gets you through the initial warranty period with no issues, then it is most likely going to be good for a couple hundred thousand miles. No need for extended warranty. I say that even for the traditional 3 yr/ 36,000 mi warranty. With the 7 year/70,000 mi warranty, I REALLY see the extended warranty as not being worth the cost.

Also, you almost have to be a lawyer to interpret what is covered and what isn't in most of those extended warrany policies.

That's just my opinion. Now if I talk you out of getting one, and then it turns out that you should have, don't blame me. I am just telling you what I would do, since you asked.

Welcome to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler.

Tom