Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• drosketerdrosketer Posts: 203
    I leave mine unlocked - regardless of whether in a parkade, lot, or wherever. I make sure to leave everything opened and empty so they can see there is nothing of value. Locking seems pointless given they can smash the window / cut the windows / unzip the windows / punch out the locks, etc. Really, if they want in, they'll get there :mad: ... I'd rather they do as little damage in the process as possible.
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    Was messing around with my department's digital camera and snapped a parking lot poser pic of my Jeep
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    Hello all:

My 95 Wrangler Rio Grande has developed somewhat of an electrical gremlin lately. Hopefully somebody here can help me diagnose as I am electrically stupid.

Here's the problem. Sometimes when I turn on the lights, my driver side marker light (the one in the wheel flare) will not light up. The left turn signal on the dash lights up and stays lit to alert me that there is some problem. When I turn on the left turn signal (with the lights on) nothing happens. My right turn signal works fine. If I turn the headlights off, then the turn signal will work, sometimes. I have replaced the bulb with no success.

The most frustrating part is that this happens sometimes, not all the time.

Anybody out there have a clue as to what could be the problem.

Thank you in advance for any help you may give.

David
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    in that flare. Also you may want to clean out the bulb contact areas and put them back in there with dielectric grease to help keep dirt and moisture out of there.

I've seen cases where one bad bulb on a Jeep can cause wierd stuff like that.

New bulbs are a cheap and easy fix. Hopefully that is all that it is.

-Paul
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    I did put the new bulb in with di-electric grease. I did not take the entire fitting and clean it. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,
  • wrangler1wrangler1 Posts: 8
    Hi, Good forum. I have read almost all posts during last couple ofmonths. I am almost all set to buy my wrangler X in a few days. I have few questions:
    1. Full metal doors or half doors? I was thinking half doors might give a good feeling. The dealerships in my area ( south florida ) do not have half doors. Which one is better? Living in florida my driving will mostly be on city roads/highway.
    2. 3.73 axle ratio or 3.07 ?
    3. I am just going for the basic X package with AC. Anything special or important I need to take care of?
    TIA.
    South Florida Guy.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I have always said that even if I had a soft top, which I don't, I would still want full metal doors to avoid fooling with the zippered windows. I think I still feel that way, espcecially after riding with my bud at work who has the half doors. It just seems like too much of a pain to zip and unzip the window all the time.

I think you should get the 3.73 gears. Sounds like you will not be off roading, but you still might want some bigger tires for looks. Even if you just go with 31" tires (the biggest you can use without a lift), I think you will be much happier with the 3.73 gearing.

Good luck.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I second Tom. Although, soft windows really look cool, I'm sure they would grow tiring very quickly.
    Thanks Tom, I knew you would respond and I am glad you did. As you guessed, I will not be off roading much but I still want to get a wrangler as florida has sun all year and Jeep in my opinion is a better choice then some expensive convertible. I will get the full metal doors with 3.73 gears. I am not worried about paying 300-400 bucks extra to a dealership but instead whether I will be happy with a Jeep or not. Looking at all you guys, I don't see any reason why I will not be. My friends are saying I am crazy to buy such primitive product for city and highway driving but I guess I still wanna do it. I am trying to convince myself.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    go with the 3.73 rear end, if you ever go with larger tires you would not be happy with the 3.07. I've 33 inch tires and 3.73 is OK, but not the optimum gearing for 33 or larger.

jeff

tops down for now, but rain is predicted for tomorrow
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    That's a great looking vehicle - love the color (it was my second choice).

The good thing about the half doors is that they provide a better height for an elbow rest. But I would only consider them if I were going to replace the windows with aftermarket sliders, and that's an extra expense etc. It's much easier to just get the full doors, and what I would have done if it had been an option (the Unlimiteds only come with full doors and the Sport we have came with a hard top and full doors).
    Where you live, I think you should just take the doors off and leave them off. Nothing like going topless and doorless! I have never had the half doors, but I THINK being doorless all together is really a better configuration than having the half doors on. I have ridden in my bud's Jeep when he had the top down and the upper doors off. I like riding in my Jeep with NO doors lots better.

You are on the right track, so stop worrying. You will LOVE your Jeep! Don't listen to those guys who are saying you are crazy. Well, maybe you have to be a little crazy to have a Jeep, though, come to think of it. They sure are FUN for us crazy people!

Tom

Thanks, mtngal. And you're right about the half doors with sliders. Lately I've thought it would really be cool to just have an extra set of half doors. Dual tops, dual doors...

On Tom's comment, I bet there are very few of us who would have Jeeps now if we'd listened to all those people who told us we were crazy. The funny part is that sooner or later most of the people who told me that confide that they have always wanted a Jeep.
    I tweaked my XM Roady2 install this past weekend. Here are a couple of pics:

Roady 2
    Roady 2

This install includes a PIE adaptor that plugs into the CD changer controls, a permanent power supply mounted behind the glove box and the satellite antennae in the roll bar.
    Thanks Tom and everyone. One last thing -- Auto or Manual ? I have never driven a manual before but then I think a Jeep should be manual. You think it will perform well in city driving?
    To Keats: Pleasant surprise to hear people talking about sat radio here. Lemme know if you need any info on that. I work for x m and am designing a new radio right now as I speak :)
    I love satellite radio. We have 3 Roady 2 models. I have one in my Rubi, one in our Grand Cherokee and one in the house. I frequent XM411 quite often. There are actually several XM folks on here, I think mtngal and ericpkl have XM in their Jeeps...
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    x2 on the half door with sliders. Some people, like me LOVE the height of them. With the uppers off, it is almost like riding doors off, but with some side protection. But the kicker is the zipping windows. Sliders make the most sense in this case, I just haven't pulled the trigger to get em.

3.73 is the way you want to go at least. There are no MAJOR hills in Florida, so you'd be fine. If you plan on long highway drives and have large tires, 4.10 gearing may be better (like that found in a Rubi).

As for auto/manual, depends on your preference. If you drive in a lot of stop/go traffic, you'll probably want an auto, but I LOVE manuals.

My Jeep is fitted with XM running through an Alpine CDA9827 head unit. Mtngal has the integrated XM tuner with hers. All of my vehicles have XM. When I offroad and the trees block XM (like at Turkey Bay in the SUMMER), I have an iPod interface running through the head unit to my iPod. Who needs FM except those looking for auto dealerships!

I can get some pics of the setup if you want me to, but here is how my Jeep is set up with half doors for the summer (until I take em off completely).

image">

-Paul
    Wrangler1:

Hey, get whichever tranny you think would better fit your needs. A Jeep doesn't "have" to be a stick. I think you will find just about as many autos as sticks in Jeeps.

If you think learning to drive a stick and having a stick shift Jeep would be something you would enjoy, then go for it. It's not hard to learn how to drive a stick, and especially with a Jeep. Jeeps with the 4.0 L have enough idle speed torque to allow you to be a little slow in giving it gas as you take off and still not stall. As a matter of fact, you can take off from a dead stop without even using the gas pedal, if you come out slowly enough with the clutch.

If you think the city driving would have you shifting too much, then go with the auto.

Tom

Man, you guys are awesome. Not only do you like Jeeps, you love sat radio too! Sat radio is the way to go. If anyone of you is in south florida, don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you want some info on that or just want to see cool stuff or get radios at a discounted price.
    3.73 and manual it is. I still would prefer half doors ( your jeep looks good with them erickpl ) but I wouldn't stress on it if the dealer dosent have them. As you all said, I can always take the door off ! Erickpl, I am guessing that stuff on your jeep is aftermarket ( the rear shades and all ) which I can get once I buy my jeep?
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    my girlfriend has an manual in her sport, its fun!! ( she doesn't like me really putting my foot in it though! ) , I don't like starting / stopping / on hills, she lives in Missouri, plenty of hills, but she doesn't have any problems. My unlimited has an automatic. I've always got a soda (thats pop for our friend in KY) in my right hand, having to shift would put an added burden on my driving abilities.

the shifting pattern on the 6 speed manual is really easy to work, it really seems to just drop right into the next gear. I learned in a 72 VW Bug, I think a jeep would be an easy vehicle to learn in.

its just a matter of preference. drive both, see what you like better.

jts
  • Nice looking Rubicon. Same color as mine. What kind of steps are those?

Harlan
  • Hey Yall'
    I just got a 04 Wrangler Sport! Its freakin awesome!! I will be the first to admit I dont know much about Off Roading. But im willing and wanting to learn all i can!
    What would yall recommend doing to make it sound more "MEAN", I have the inline6 so it doesnt have the kick i had in my camaro I had, How can I make it sound better?
  • oldscout2oldscout2 Posts: 9
    Nice Jeep Keats. I like the light khaki color. What year is your Rubi? It looks like it has black fenders, is that an option for 2005? I thought the fenders only came in dark khaki.........as well as the soft top. Anyone know if you can you get black fenders and black soft with the 2005 light khaki color?
    Thanks.
    Scout:

Fortunately, DC listened to their customers and went back to black flares. They made black tops available again also.

This happened sometime in December.

Tom

demoneyes:

Welcome, and congrats on that new Jeep!

Hey, if you live within a reasonable drive, I would be glad to take you out on the trails at Turkey Bay, where I do most of my wheelin'. I love seeing folks learning what incredible things their Jeeps will do. It blew my mind the first time I went off road with my bone stock Jeep (stock except that I had put 31 x 10.50 BFG All Terrain tires on it), when I followed my guide and actually made it through some places that I would have never dreamed a Jeep would negotiate.

You can check out my website about wheelin' at ...

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Tom

• thejeepthejeep Posts: 9
    Is it hard to controll the receiver in that location.
  • Great Site you have!
    You gave me some great pointers as well as steered me away from some potential no-no's when Wheelin'...Great site id recommend it to everyone just starting out or living in KY area for some crazy trails.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

I am looking for some good sites to look for some new 31-35'' wheels/tires.
    Any suggestions?
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Posts: 52
    Hey there wrangler1, I'm looking into getting my first Jeep, and was thinking about the radio... XM sounds like an interesting option. How cheap could I get into that, and what would the monthly expenses be? Also, how do you secure something like that in a Jeep?
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Posts: 52
    Looks like the Sport comes standard with two disk/two drum brakes. Most of the Jeeps I'm looking at here in Central FL don't have the 4 wheel disk brakes option. Anybody got thoughts one way, or another, about whether the four wheel disk brakes are a "must" have? I'm thinking that the 4 wheel disk brake would make a big difference.
    demoneyes:

Get yourself a Quadratec catalogue. You can go to their website and request one.

Even if you buy elsewhere, they have a great catalogue to show you what's available.

Where do you live? Is a trip to Turkey Bay out of the question?

Go slow on your mods, now demon. Take time to learn how everything relates to something else, and see what altering one thing means that you have to do somewhere else to compensate.

For example, you can put 31" tires on a stock Jeep, but for tires larger than that, a lift is required. The bigger the tire, the more lift that is needed. Once a Jeep is lifted beyond a couple inches, then you have to worry about driveline angle correction. Also, depending on your current gearing, you will most likely want to regear your front and rear axles for tires bigger than 31". Another consideration is whether you have the Dana 44 or the Dana 35 rear axle. The Dana 35 limits you on tire size and on the use of a locker.

You have a lot to learn, my friend, before you start investing in mods. If you don't do your homework, you can spend a lot of money, only to find that you need to replace some things that you have already done.

You sound like you want to get into " wheelin' ,' and the mods you would want depend on the type of terrain you will be running. Rock crawling requires different set-ups than those that would be optimal for wheelin' where mud and loose soil are the norm.

Feel free to bounce things off of us here in this forum before you buy something.

Do you know which rear axle you have? Dana 35? Dana 44? Do you know your gearing?

You can go to Jeep.com and request a build sheet to see how your Jeep was equipped from the factory. This sheet will give you more details about your Jeep than you could ever need. You simply find your way to "customer service" and "contact Jeep." A form will pop up, and you fill it out. In the top section, where you tell them why you are contacting them, tell them you would like to have a factory build sheet. You will need to know the last eight characters in you VIN. They are VERY good about getting back to you quickly. I have seen a guy get his build sheet in half an hour, but he made his request during normal working hours.

To find out quickly if you have the Dana 44, look at the differential housing, and if it looks like a pumpkin and is symmetrical on the vertical axis, it is the Dana 35. If the housing is taller on the left side, making the housing sort of the shape of a pear laid on its side, with the big end to the left, then you have the Dana 44. Also, the drain plug is rubber on a 35 and is metal on a 44.

Tom