Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I hang out here all day and try to answer questions.

The pay's terrible! :cry:
  • chow3chow3 Posts: 37
    Well, After reading this forum (since when Tom cleaned bugs on the way home) and posting with a couple questions I have jumped back into jeep ownership with a Khaki Unlimited 6 speed soft top. Traded a perfect 2002 Liberty for a little more fun. When I arrived home last night with the new Jeep my boys 3 & 5 made me take them for a ride and promise we could take the roof off this weekend and take a ride to the beach. I can only hope my kids have as much fun in this jeep as my wife and I did in our CJ 7 many years ago. Oh, and in regard to my name here Chow3--- Chowder Head was our fist child(dog) and loved to ride out onto the beach for a swim back when we all lived on Cape Cod. Can't wait for my first topless ride..\\

CHOW
    "I have jumped back into jeep ownership with a Khaki Unlimited 6 speed soft top. Traded a perfect 2002 Liberty for a little more fun."

Interesting how two similar sized competent 4wd vehicles from the same company can have such different characters.
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    *lol* The best response so far! You didn't give us a title, so I'll create one for you: Resident Jeep Mechanic. Rise sir Jeep Mechanic! And tell me why my door is rattling...
  • jbonejbone Posts: 35
    Picked up my Blue Unlimited 6 spd soft-top yesterday - what a vehicle! I can finally say I am truly happy. Been gettin the wave every time here in WMass too!
    My better half says we need steps on the side to help her and the kiddos getting in and out (plus by the way my 5 yo gets in, the door sills will be worn down in no time!)
    Anyway been lookin at different options but heres my dilemma, I would to find something that fits all the following in order of importance:
    1. Fits 2005 Unlimited (obviously!)
    2. Able to be used as entry/exit step
    3. Provides rocker panel protection off road
    4. No need drill into frame rails for install
    I found SRC side armor guards on JC Whitney that say "including Unlimited" but everywhere else (Quadratec, 4wd.com, etc) says they dont fit the Unlimited???
    Any info or suggestions would be appreciated and thanks!
    :D
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Good question, jbone. If you had the regular wheel base Wrangler, you would have several products to choose from. I have never particularly looked for rocker guards/steps for an Unlimited.

Toys by Troy and 4xDoctor are a couple brands you might try. I don't know their official website URL's, but you can do a search.

If I come across something, I will post.

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Even Smittybilt's site doesn't give that information, but I'm sure their tech support will know.

Here's their number: 1.888.717.6170
  • oceantoadoceantoad Posts: 186
    Glad to hear that you are going for it. You will love it. Noise will not be a problem for you and don't worry about the comfort issue.

Please continue to keep the folks here updated on your progress on getting into a Wrangler.

I was quick enough to copy down your phone number from your first post before it was nuked.

At least you have hair for the wind to blow through. Me, I am getting real thin up there.

Still a happy camper.
  • oceantoadoceantoad Posts: 186
    What does your monthly gas bill average? You put LOTS of miles on those Jeeps of yours.

Still a happy camper.
    Jbone:

I found some really nice looking rocker guards for ya at shrockworks.com. Those puppies look like they should afford great protection, and they can be used as a step also. They DO have them to fit Unlimiteds.

They ain't cheap. :)

Tom

• keatskeats Posts: 412
    Jeeperman has just started making their Trail Skidz for Unlimiteds. I have a set on my Rubicon and I love them.

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Hey, oceantoad! How's things in Texas these days?

I don't think in terms of monthly gas bills - I think of daily gas bills. We put gas in every morning since 2 round trips is stretching it a bit more than I want to and gas is often cheaper up here on the hill (paid $2.31 today). I'm really happy that we're down to a bit less than $20.00 a day - I hated it when that $20.00 didn't quite fill the tank! Weekends aren't usually all that much less - living in the boonies and working full time means that at least one day on the weekend is spent "off the hill" (either Bakersfield or Santa Clarita) shopping or else going somewhere (last weekend was Monterey, weekend before that was La Jolla/San Diego, next weekend will be Vegas, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to work in a trip to Yosemite this spring but it's not looking good).

As far as what I do - I'm just an admin person who maintains record drawings for a large employer/landowner in West L.A. I'll have 15 years (3 different jobs) next year, and I'm hoping to make at least another 8 (there's always talk of lay-offs etc.). I think I have the best job in the world - it's always interesting and each day brings something new.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    I've got shrockworks rocker guards,, more rocker protection than a step and required alot of drilling. if you are looking for steps,, I'd go with the factory steps,, check ebay. they are the same for SWB as LWB, they work great as steps, but i've heard a rock or log will tear them up if you hit one hard while on a trail.

jeff

http://www.shrockworks.com/jeepbars.htm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/jeff62301/IM003382Medium.jpg

second link is a pic of my jeep with the rockerguards.,,
    I work for the US Dept of Agriculture. / Rural Development.

I make home loans for low / moderate income families and business loans to help keep rural communities alive and hopefully thriving.

I've been doing this for 20 years, but when I was little, I wanted to be the guy that drove the tractor and groomed the beaches every morning, I could not think of anything that sounded more fun than driving a tractor on a beach.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    jbone, Shrockworks, Jeeperman, and Rock-it-Man I think all make unlimited rockers. The Toys by Troy ones look like this...

but I'm not sure if they make an Unlimited version yet.

For rocker and frame protection, these types of rockers can't be beat. They protect AND they don't reduce clearance. However, for these types, often you will have to drill into the frame. It really is no big deal. Once you drill a hole on your Jeep, the rest come easy. :)

Now as for my profession, I'm a contractor working for a government agency that deals with space exploration. I work as a systems analyst in support of their financial and business systems.

-Paul
  • randyacerandyace Posts: 96
    Yeah, I was politely "reminded" about including phone numbers on our posts! Glad you were able to leave me the message; sorry I was "indisposed" (ahem) when you called.

You indicated you were from Central Texas. I'm an Austinite, though transplanted to Alabama after retiring from the Air Force. Will be making a visit there at the end of June to see my brother and sister....about an 11 and a half hour drive....hmmm...could be a good endurance test for the Wrangler....is my old butt gonna take it? You and the others are right...after driving a small Ranger P/U for so long, I won't be going from a "comfort" ride to the characteristics of the Wrangler. I suppose the only thing I'll give up are the forward visability I have sitting higher in the Ranger, and not having anything to haul my yard mulch and such...although I can tell my son-in-law to bring his utility trailer over so I can use that!

Regarding the hair issue....I'm still so disgustingly vain about my hair, sometimes I wish I would lose it just so I wouldn't have to keep it "perfect"...if anyone else has OCD, you know what I'm talking about!

Thanks....Randy
    Whatever you get, be aware of what Jeff said. If you hang your step on something, it will not only destroy the step itself, but it is very likely to damage the sheet metal of your rocker. That's what the factory steps are good for. They often don't survive the first trip off road.

Tomster

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Where in Alabama are ya? I used to live in Texas, but am now in Alabama too via California. :)

-Paul
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Posts: 252
    Hey Keats! Is that the infamous noisy door that nobody is giving you advice on? It looks fine to me:) Job stuff. I am presently retired and working part time teaching at a local university. My last full time position (27 years) was as the director of 5 emergency shelters for the homeless. Two were "wet shelters". Which means we took people from the street in any condition.Two were for abandoned and abused children and one for families. I had a passion for the job that is similiar to the passion I have for Jeeps. How could a door that nice looking make any noise? Mtngal-you win for putting on the most milage!!! Keats-are you working on a script for a jeep movie? "Great Jeepers I Have Known". Go Easy, John
  • randyacerandyace Posts: 96
    I'm in Tuscaloosa.....and still trying to figure out how to dress in burnt orange and crimson during football season!

Wow...I thought Texas to Alabama was a culture shock....but from California? That must have been some transition!
  • karlw90karlw90 Posts: 59
    ..well I said I was going to post a picture this weekend, but I have some free time now so here is a link to them. I would post them here, but they are rather large so here are the links:

Jeep Side View 1
    Jeep Rear View
    Jeep Front View
  • very nice jeep
  • embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    I hang out here all day and try to answer questions. The pay's terrible!

We're like your Peace Corps!! (Or did you do something unseemly once and this is your community service?)

-Mike ;)
  • I recently purchased a 2004 Jeep Wrangler X with a factory hardtop, and I decided to take it off for the first time the other day, but I ran into a small problem. I could not disconnect the wiring harness in the back left corner of the Jeep. The manual just says to press the plastic tab in and pull, but that is not working. I have tried everything to get it loose, but nothing is working. Has anybody run into this same problem? Any ideas on how to release it?? Thanks
    there is a red "locking tab" slide it sideways,,, then press the tab like you have been.

I almost tore mine up, had the same problem.

jeff
  • kcjeepkcjeep Posts: 4
    Hello all!

I am a first time Jeep owner as of Monday. I must say, I am proud to be a member of the club. I have always wanted one so I said the heck with it and bought a brand new rocky mountain wrangler. I absolutely love it. It is the best decision I have ever made. I will be the first to admit, however, that I am not automotively inclined. Are there any major things I need to be aware of as a new Jeep owner that common sense alone won't tell me? I don't want to do anything to ruin my new baby. Lord knows that I longer have enough money to fix anything were it to go wrong. Thanks.
    Nice Jeep! I could get used to the self-colored flares...
    Things to do - get the oil changed when it needs to be changed. Find a dirt road and drive down it - your Jeep will thank you. It'll be even happier if it's up in the mountains or beside a stream or on the beach or in the desert without anyone around for miles.
  • Thank you Jeff for your help!!!! I can't wait to try it.