Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Tom, I was at the grocery store yesterday at the checkout clerk told me the race was starting soon. I thought she meant some weird promotion thing and looked at her blankly. As a native-born North Carolinian, this state's greatest sports export ain't NASCAR. It's ACC basketball. So today, in honor of my undergrad alma mater who is taking on the Dukies, I am GO_PACK.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I'm with ya! Hope the Wolfpack beats Duke AND NC! Being a KY Wildcat fan, I am obligated to hate NC and Duke. :)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Thanks for the advice. I do my homework and have no problem 'walking', it is really easy with email :) It is a little more difficult to research a 2003, as nobody is listing incentives that I can see. KBB invoice for the Jeep is $23726, I deducted the $2k rebate currently offered and $500 mil discount to get $21,226. Obviously, $20,002 is well below that number. I'm happy with the price, just wondering if others were seeing similar pricing on 2003s now. More interested in the braking/differential spec that comes with the 30" Canyon group if anyone can weigh in.

Ciao,

Thomas
    WELCOME!!!!!!!!

Had you a nice long reply typed, and then the power went off around here before I could post it! :(

I was gonna tell you that your deal could only be judged in relation to invoice, as go_ducks had already said. You have now posted that info, and it sounds like you are getting the Jeep for around $1200 below invoice, plus the $2K rebate and the $500 military rebate. That sounds pretty good to me, as long as you are happy with $1200 to $1400 savings compared to getting an 04. ( I think you could get an 04 for $200 over invoice.)

There were no significant improvements that I am aware of between 03 and 04, and you are getting a brand new Jeep either way. So, maybe that savings is worth it? Just be aware that if something happens that requires the insurance to pay off the total value, that figure is going to be less for an 03.

Man, sounds like a REAL nice Jeep, Thomas ( that your fist name or last name???). And what's an SSG? Staff Sargeant???

Hey, whatever branch of service you are in, and whatever your rank or duty, thanks for serving your country! We are VERY proud of you guys and gals!!!!!

Where is "home?" Guess it would be hoping for too much to think I might be getting a new wheelin' buddy here in western KY???

Don't know the answer to your brake question. I think you can still get disc brakes in the rear, but NOT ABS with the Dana 44. I think the disc brakes all around is a separate option and would not automatically be included in the 30" Tire and Wheel package.

Tom

P.S.

Just looked at your profile, and I see that Thomas is your first name, like me. We needed another Tom around here! :)

• guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    I'm looking at the 2003 Wrangler catalog and notice the following notes on the options page.

1. ABS was not available with Dana 44

2. Trac Loc was a separate option regardless of differential. If yours has it, it will be a line item on the sticker and invoice. This option also would have required 4 wheel disc brakes if the Dana 44 and Trac Loc were ordered.

3. The 30" tire package included the Dana 44 and 3.73 if it is a 5-speed manual (which yours is).

The additional discount may be monies given back to the dealer for new, non-current year vehicles. This used to be in the range of 5% of the sticker amount. Which would be close to what you are seeing.
  • hotx3hotx3 Posts: 71
    I just saw a news article that the sticker is $24,495 (delivery included), with automatic the only trans available. The earlier articles had claimed the price would be "between" the Sport and the Rubi; this is within $600 of a Rubi. ABS is not available with the Dana rear axle.
        I'm a little taken back. I was looking for a practical, capable vehicle with stick and ABS and a "skotch more room". I might as well buy the base model if I can't get ABS, and save about $9G.
       I guess "Unlimited" referred more to the asking price than offroading uses. Anybody else think D/C is missing the mark?
  • Greenie--I was a little thick before and didn't notice you were talking about a 2003 Wrangler rather than a 2004. Still sounds like a good deal if you plan on holding on to the vehicle, and you probably will. At 6 years and counting, I've never owned an automobile as long as this Jeep, and I plan on driving it into the ground, though it may eventually be lowered to weekend car status. One of the great things about Jeep Wranglers and CJs is that they age really well, not unlike sports cars, because of the fun-factor and classic styling. Taxes, registration fees and insurance will probably be cheaper on a new 2003 vs a 2004. If you like the color and options, the only downside is that a new 2003 vehicle has already taken a depreciation hit.
    I agree with go_ducks. If you think you are gonna keep that Jeep a LONG time, then that one year difference in model years becomes less and less of a factor.

Go for it!

Let us know how this turns out.

Are you going to wheel that Jeep? If so, where?

Tom

Yeah, it surprises me that you can only get an auto tranny in the Unlimited. Wonder why that is?

Hey, do you currently have a Jeep? What kind? Do ya wheel it?

I see you are from Illinois, according to your pdrofile, so maybe you would be interested in coming to Turkey Bay and wheelin' with me????

Tom

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Rubicon MSRP according DC is $26,680. Sport is $22,915. The 'X' is $20,930. Base model, the SE, is $17,835.

If the Unlimited is going to be $24,495, it does put it between the Rubicon and the Sport. All models have a $2000 rebate at the moment.

A couple more details. All models have a Dana axle, the difference is between a model 35 and a 44. The 44 is heavier duty and also has the option of disc brakes, and cannot be fitted with ABS.

The SE (base model) has a smaller engine (2.4), if it's a manual it has a lighter duty primary transmission, and it doesn't have the option of ABS even though it has the D35 axle.

You might do better looking at the 'X' model, which is similar to the Sport in build and available options, with the exception that the D44 is unavailable.

As to why the options you'd like aren't available, I've no idea! If it's anything like some of the big companies I've had dealings with, it's probably someone in high management trying to justify his/her position by making a decision that goes against the flow!

Or it could just be a shortage of components.

;--)
    Could it be that the longer wheelbase and the longer drivetrain associated with it be the reason for auto only? Maybe it was easier to use the auto for the longer wheelbase?

Tom

The longer the wheelbase the easier it it to fit any transmission!

If it were up to me ABS would be available on the D44, disc brakes would be available on the D35, and you'd be able to order a manual transmission on the Unlimited (and Aztec Gold would still be available!).

All the above can be achieved using standard components currently in production. However, it appears to be the job of the customer to hand over his/her money, and be grateful that DC offers any options at all.

:--(
    Inca Gold maybe? Or was there really an Aztec Gold color???

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep lately?
    Yes, you're right, it is (or was) Inca Gold on Wranglers. Aztec Gold is a DC color but ends up on vehicles like Cavaliers and PT Cruisers.

Not enough coffee I guess!

;--)
    Did you mean Caravans? Or, did you mean that Cavaliers really have DC paint on them? :)

Maybe a Cavalier that had been in an accident with an Aztec Gold PT Cruiser??? :)

This is FUN!

Tom

• From what I can gather the reason for only have the auto and not all options is to get them off the line and into dealerships. The manual is going to be an option next year, and there are rumors of a Rubicon package Unlimited. As was said earlier ABS isn't available with the Dana44, I don't miss it on my Rubi. I've never driven a car with ABS that I liked, that's also why it's never been on one that I owned, must just be me.

Welcome to all the new comers.

Tony
    Guess I'm having a bad day here! Aztec Gold is a color name used by both Chrysler and Chevrolet, though I'm not sure if it's actually the same color. It's also been used on the Corvette if I remember correctly (which I may not!).

Now, which kind of flower was it you used to put your feet on?

:--)
    Really, Mac! How can you stoop SO LOW? :)

Tom

• guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    The auto trans is probably a mandatory option on the Unlimited because DC is committed to producing a set quantity of the autos and not enough are being ordered as options on the regular Wranglers.
  • According to a DC spokesman statement I read on Mikes Jeep news, chasingerica is correct. The Unlimited will be limited in options for the 2004 1/2 model, but by 2005 model there will be most options that are available on the the sport including 5 speed tranny. Should also have a lower base price. The article explains the reasoning for starting off with an automatic is because more new Wranglers are sold with autos than sticks. I know I'll be sniffing around the dealerships as soon as the Unlimited arrives (can't wait). I'll never give up my TJ,for wheeling, but the Unlimited will probably be my new family (boat towing) vehicle.