Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• I don't like ABS- in anything.

In my own opinion- Some situations, like glare ice it may be beneficial; but in snow or dirt you can lock up the tires enough to get some loose material in front of the tire and slow you down.

-Bill
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    "...... but apparently you can stop just as quickly modulating the brakes yourself ........"

Yes and no. The prime function of ABS is to allow you to steer while applying maximum braking effort. If your wheels are locked you can't steer, period. It is not designed to reduce the stopping distance on a dry surface.

ABS is able to read wheel speed. It can compare wheel speeds and it can tell if one or more wheels are about to lock. It can control wheel speeds individually (on a Wrangler, the fronts individually, the rears together) to prevent the wheels either locking or pulling to one side. It does this by modulation the brake line pressure to the individual brakes, many many times a second.

A skilled driver can modulate the brakes maybe two or three times a second. He/she doesn't know which wheels are about to lock, nor know how their rotational speeds compare to each other, and if it was known it wouldn't matter. All that can be done is to stamp up and down on the pedal. Better than standing hard on it, but nothing like the control that ABS gives you.

The occasions when ABS is a hinderance are usually when the traction of a surface can be improved by breaking it up and piling it up in a wedge in front of the wheel. These circumstances are almost exclusively met offroad. On an ABS equipped Wrangler, the ABS can be disconnected in a couple of seconds by pulling the appropriate relay.
  • I ordered my X! Just the way I wanted it for $180 over edmunds invoice. Sweeet. The sales guy, David Chase at Bloomington (Minnesota) Chrysler Jeep web sales was a treat to deal with, just gave me rock bottom pricing on both the 2003 Sport and the X from the start with no haggle. I highly recommend him to any MN buyers.

Final Spec: solar yellow w/blk soft top, dark grey cloth interior, ABS, trac-loc, AC, full face T&W grp, lthr steering wheel w/cruise, convenience grp, deep tint, full doors, add a trunk, tow hooks, block htr, floor mats... $19,212 + tax & lic.

Thanks to everyone for all their help!

Thomas
  • I was able to get the search working later, when your internet is via satellite, it can be hit or miss especially when there is weather. I just consider myself extremely fortunate to have any internet in a war zone.

I see Crutchfield is throwing in a free Sirius tuner with purchase of certain head units and a Terk Sirius Antennae. I've been wanting to give Satellite Radio a try, it looks like now is the time.

wildbl1500- I like your idea, I was considering a small bazooka tube but the center console is much more stealth. Thanks! Did you have to make any brackets or mods besides drilling a couple holes?
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I'm surprised how many people considered Tacomas before they bought their Wranglers. You all made a great choice - the Wrangler seats are far more comfortable for drives of any distance (including my commute!). My Taco is 2WD and a 4 banger so gets much better mileage than my Wrangler.

Glen - I heard that report on KNX - did not make me happy. Especially since every time they put something like that on the radio our 2 cheaper gas stations raise their prices. Arco was $1.77 this morning and I'm sure it will be something over $1.80 tonight when I go home.

mac - thanks for the info on ABS. The time I did lock up my brakes (on the Taco) I felt the back end start to slide out (of course, toward traffic). I let up on the brakes as soon as I felt it and it straightened out, but it definitely scared me.

Thomas - I'm not a fan of the add a trunk - they are small and I usually have the back seat out (used to haul my 4 legged hiking buddy all the time). However, it sounds great for your needs, though there won't be all that much room for anything else (as I recall). I like the Solar Yellow with the black top - even my other half thinks it looks really sharp (he's not usually a fan of brightly colored vehicles). It sounds like you will have a nice rig when you get back here.
  • Mac,

I totally agree that a driver, no matter how talented, won't be able to modulate the brakes as quickly as a ABS system. At the same time, having driven vehicles with and without ABS, in some pretty icy conditions, I can't say I'd advocate one over the other. Last year I went through an intersection that had ice as smooth as a skating rink, the ABS did absolutely nothing (either for steering, or braking). To be fair though, not sure if anything would have helped in that particular situation...

Obviously ABS has its advocates, not to mention a slew of studies that support it. Obviously there has to be a reason for that. I'm just as happy without it though...

Andrew
  • Sounds like you got a nice Jeep and a good price. I'm not sure about Sirius satellite Radio, I know that XM is great though. If they are giving it away for free then it might not be that bad of a deal, you'll still have the monthly fee. As for the Bazooka tube in the console I don't think it would fit. They are small but I don't think they are that small.

Tony
  • Thomas,

There were 3 holes in the side of the console (and a grill) for the available OEM 6.5" Sub. I used 2 of their holes, and drilled one of my own to accomodate the 8". I did remove the white plastic inner-liner of the console to make room for my CB previously- I think a small tray is available to seal up the whole space- as if the factory Sub was in there. By the time you pick up your Wrangler, I should have gained access to a digital camera and can get you some pics of my install.

-Bill
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    WAY TO GO! CONGRATULATIONS on that factory order!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, bet ya can't wait til that puppy comes in. Will you get home before the Jeep does?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Hope I'm back on the right message board. A week ago I drove a new Rubicon and it had such a bad shutter, I took it back. Dealer found out it had a bad front axel and back axel. He said he would not sell it to me and it probably would go back to Chrysler. Next day he sold me a black 04 Rubicon. Its now a week old and 250 miles on it. I've owned Jeep Wranglers since 86 and this is the best so far. Last one I had was a 93 Renegade. List price on Rubi was 30260 and with rebate 0f 2000 plus 500 military rebate, after dealer discount at his invoice and threw in 1/2 of his holdback, I paid just under 25000 and got the 48 month interest financing. I liked the ride of the Rubicon over the Sport and of course the tough tires and wheels, I just had to have a Rubi.
  • Congrats on your purchases (Thomas, Borchone, anyone else I missed?)... you're going to enjoy those jeeps. I've had mine for close to 2 months now and still can't believe how happy I am driving her around town!

Andrew
  • gman1259gman1259 Posts: 209
    No...Mine came off with out a problem.
  • Welcome to the club guys. Borchone glad that you found out the reason for that shutter and that you got a nice new Rubi. I sure hope that dealership sends that poor jeep back to DC. I still can't wipe the smile off my face when I'm behind the wheel.

Tony
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Welcome to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler! Glad ya joined us.

CONGRATS on the Rubi! That's sure the way I would go, if I were buying a new Wrangler now. Those babies are sweet!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    No names of individuals please - helps keep down the shill posts. Dealer names are fine.

Give me ten :-)

Steve, Host
  • I just can't do anything right :(

OK no names! Thanks Steve.
  • Bill, I look forward to the pics. Can anyone tell me if the convenience group console for the 2004 is the same one that houses the optional factory sub?

Thomas
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    Nothing like a place with a bunch of rules eh?

Go Army!

Steve, Host

(why did you buy a Jeep anyway -- aren't you supposed to ship one home in a few dozen crates? You only have Hummers around there?)
  • mtngal, you make a good point regarding the trunk. I have an Alaskan Malamute that will probably object to crawling over that thing, and I was thinking of removing the rear seat too. I guess I will have to teach Cody to use the passenger door! Oh, well, I'll just have to wait and see how it plays. Thanks!
  • Steve, we have hummers here but we prefer the Toyotas for the longer ops as they can be repaired locally so you don't have to call for a Chinook to sling load your hummer back to base when it breaks down, and it will break down.

As for shipping home, the Army is no fun anymore. Can't ship home Hummers, Aks, or other toys and many have been burned trying. The MPs at Bagram do have a Wrangler, lucky boogers!

Thomas