Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Welcome mrp57! Glad you are joining us - your rig sounds really nice. I agree that parallel parking with a Wrangler is incredible. A couple of years ago I went to a high school reunion. I parked on the street between a car and an RV (don't think the RV owner would have been too happy - he might have been using the space to get out). I'm sure no one else had room to park there, but my Noble Black Steed slipped in there perfectly. I, too, have a black with black hard top. While I think it looks super sharp, it will most likely be the last black vehicle I'll ever own!

Paul - thanks for the info on your GPS system. Since I would be using it for both hiking and off-roading, I'd want the most accurate topo software I could get. You mentioned the National Geographic topo software - will that work with your device (is this my ignorance of the topic showing)?

I hope everyone is planning a great Jeepin' weekend. I'm planning on going snowshoeing in some of that new snow just above me (and there was a dusting at the house this morning - another Jeep commute day!). If anyone is interested, I have some new photos (general scenery mostly) up, along with one of my Noble Black Steed and his favorite environment. Address is: http://community.webshots.com/album/121470341zaYXly .
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I thought it would - the box says it is 'compatible' with the Magellan GPS's. But you can only really download waypoints (points of interest) to it. Not a big deal to me at all. I find my coordinates (like from the geocaching website) and key them directly into the GPS.

Only Magellan (mapsend) software can be used to download (read: MAPS) to the GPS units. Garmin is the same way with their software, but their topo software, at least right now, is more accurate than the Magellan. The new Magellan software, due soon I hope, is supposed to use a more accurate measuring tool (data from NASA mapping missions maybe?) so I'm holding out on buying it until then.

I'm not sure how good the 'car based' street GPS's would work offroad. Plus they are bigger.

-Paul
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Scary... taking pictures while driving on the 405 *shudder*!

:)

-Paul
    Actually, I had help - I was driving and letting my other half operate the camera. It was only the second time he had even looked at it so I had to talk him through it. It wasn't so bad - I think we were only going about 20 mph at the time.
  • Tom, that was great. Might even help you win some converts. It is still amazing to me what a Wrangler will do.

Terry
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Thanks!

Yeah, I continue to be amazed by the capabilities of a Wrangler too (AND BY THE AMOUNT OF FUN THEY OFFER!).

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Pete:

Is it just my poor memory, or has it been a LONG time since you posted? I THINK your last post was around Christmas time, if the search feature didn't lie. ( Or if I didn't mess up.)

Let us hear from ya! Check out that vid clip I posted the link to. Let me know whatcha think of it.

Tom

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,975
    Glen, my autologin is working but the Message Center isn't loading immediately like it should. So there's still some bugs, and yes, the IT folks are working on it.

The Profile bug can be worked around sometimes by logging out immediately after changing it. A fix is in the works for that one too. Apologies!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Ya gotta love it - Glen lives probably something like 100 miles from me. Here he is talking about going topless between raindrops and I'm talking about new snow! It was really pretty this morning with a fresh dusting of snow on the ground and the sun out. Of course, the sun made sure the snow melted off by mid-day, but it was pretty while it lasted.

Tomorrow I'll take the Jeep up to Mt. Pinos for some snowshoeing. It won't be off-roading, but it will still be fun.
    Well, The Old Tomster has been busted again. :(

I thought that it would be OK to link to Gill's just for that movie clip, but it was a no-no.

It's playing time is 2 minutes, 48 seconds, and it shows Thelma Jane in Blackhole Gully. She really rears up on her hind legs and gets some air under that left front tire.

If any of you would like to know how to get to it, just email me. It is 28 MB, so if you are on dial-up, be prepared for a LONG download time. I'm on dial-up and just started the download when I went to bed. It probably took a couple hours.

Tom

• tyoshutyoshu Posts: 31
    I am in Houston and wanted to know if anyone recommends a dealership here in town. I am looking to buy a Sport. I am so excited about getting a new Jeep! Thanks for the advice.
    Welcome!

Looks like you are not only new to this particular message board, but also to Town Hall. Your profile shows that you registered just today.

Just get ready for more fun than you've ever had in your life, if you are getting a new Jeep. Keep us posted on your progress as you do your shopping.

If you are interested in seeing the fun I have with my Jeep, just click on this link....

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Tom

• Hello Jeepers - thought I would give my 2 cts. I recommend hand held for versatility, you can take it with you hiking or mtn biking or just walking around the city. You can take it overseas somewhere glamorous like Europe or Afghanistan ;) and probably even find street level mapping software for your destination. Then you can also have a decent aftermarket stereo with Sat Radio too. In my experience, Garmin is very popular with troopers, with some magellans being used too. I have a Garmin eMap (no longer made) which has worked flawlessly for me over several years now, in some extreme conditions hiking, motorcycling, driving, and military use. You can find handhelds that are oriented towards various activities in which you may be most passionate (fishing,hiking, auto) and many good all around units too. Some now will even give you voice directions and some integrate with PDAs or laptop computers. Many newer units are WAAS (developed for aviation use) enabled, which will provide enhanced accuracy, though I have not found it necessary for my uses. My eMap came with MapSource Metroguide USA, which I have found excellent for address level street mapping. I am using Garmin's World Map here in Afghanistan and it has enough city, road and river data to be quite useful. I haven't found the Topo GPS downloadable maps to be worthwhile, The scale on the GPS displays just doesn't cut it for topo (IMHO). You should have a paper topo map if you venture into the boonies. You should have a compass too and know terrain association, intersection and resection methods to determine your location. You can do some homework on the WWW and find the handheld that will work best for your needs. GPS City is a good place to start, sorry I can't give you a link.

If you buy a OEM or built-in type unit, make sure it is DVD based and not CD based as DVD will hold much more mapping data.

Cheers, I hope you are all doing fine back home.

'Short Timer' Thomas
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I hosted the video on a personal domain and hope this will be OK with Edmunds.

http://www.ewylie.com/video/tomvid.htm

If anyone else has videos or images that they would like to host, I have enough storage and unlimited bandwidth and will be glad to help out within reason :-).

-twylie
  • tyoshutyoshu Posts: 31
    Way to go Tom! That video rocks....I can't wait until I have the opportunity to try some wheelin!!!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    That works! :-)

tidester, host
  • Welcome to all the new comers, it's been a few days since I've been around.

Hey Tom, that's one nice video. Jeeps are great. Any body damage on that pass side? Looked like it was close there.

Tony
    THANK YOU!

Geez Louise! What a PAIN it has been trying to share things with my Jeep Buds in here! YOU DA MAN! Now, just don't start a message board or anything. :)

Tony, no body damage. It WAS close, as you could see.

Tyoshu, you just can't imagine the fun that wheelin' your Jeep is. Getcha one and come on up here and wheel with me. (Long drive, I know, but if you ever want to, you would be welcome.)

Thanks again, Trey! Man, I be one happy camper right now!

Tom

I'm not sure I'm gonna make it, Peeps, but today is day 60 in my effort to give up the old cigs.

I have struggled the last few days BIG TIME!

Why, after almost two months, am I having such a hard time? I would have thought that by now I would be fighting an occasional urge; maybe even some STRONG urges. Didn't think I would still be having entire days when the urge would be almost continuous, though, after two months.

THIS IS HARD TO DO!

Thanks, Buds, for your support. Gonna hang in there the best I can. Will be glad when bedtime gets here, so I can sleep (but, heck, I will probably DREAM about smoking).

Tom

Hang in there! It sounds like you hit the psychological "hump" sooner than I did. I seemed to hit it at 3 months. That's when I was feeling better physically and my body forgot why I quit. Then it becomes a mental thing, and that mental thing is really tough. I just kept reminding myself why I quit, thinking about how smoking was interfering with my life, etc. Then I'd go do something else that would totally occupy my mind and the craving would pass. While it doesn't feel like it, it will eventually go away.

tyoshu - wish I could help you out about Houston dealerships, but I haven't been in Texas in many years. A Sport is a good choice - I have one and love it. It is so capable off-road as well as on the road. I'd love to tell you how I drove some tough roads today, but I can't. I drove my Noble Black Steed (a '98 Sport) up to go snowshoeing on paved, clear and dry roads. But there's always next weekend...