Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    How hard is it to get Jeep colors?

Any color for any vehicle can be mixed on the spot.

When a place repaints a vehicle, do they paint all the surfaces or just the outside?

Entirely dependant on the size of your wallet! :shades:
    Is this a genuine Jeep™ accessory, or an aftermarket item?
    It's hard to tell from this far away, but don't forget to include the steering box in the list of things to check.
    I rather like, "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.".
  • I don't let it warm up much. But this happens occassionally when the jeep is fully warmed up.
  • It is an after market however I bought it from "4 Wheel Parts" right from the dealer (walked in) which they said would fit...I have already called the dealer back and they say thats whats in there book... But without major bending it will not let the Soft top come up..:(
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    That is a good one!
    The most practical solution will probably be to return it, then look for one that will work. However, is it possible that the light bar can be tilted forward, after loosening it, to allow the top to be opened?

Interestingly, the '4 Wheel Parts' site was down when I went to look at your lightbar, but I came up with THIS which you may find a little disturbing. :(
  • wpowellwpowell Posts: 125
    As a brand new Unlimited hardtop owner, I have an idea that must either be unworkable or unoriginal. Does anyone make receiver hitch mounted hardtop hoist? It would seem that a collapsible (or multi-part), swiveling boom with a hand operated winch would be a workable set-up. Of course the winch would have to have a clutch to allow a controlled descent of the top. Dumb idea? A dozen of them readily available?
  • embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    If it was L.A., they would have shot you.
    No need for a winch with a clutch, a regular 'boat trailer' model will suffice to handle the weight up or down, it's all in the gearing. A regular 2" receiver will be fine to mount it and would make an ideal pivot point. Very little will be required for construction apart from a welder and a hacksaw.

However, I don't know of one that's commercially available. Most people use one that attaches to the ceiling of their garage. Maybe you should get together with the manufacturer of the frame/cart that holds the hardtop at floor level?
  • wpowellwpowell Posts: 125
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give it a shot. If it works I'll post details; if it doesn't you'll never hear from me again ;) It just seems that this would be much more versatile than a fixed mounted hoist in the garage, although it would require a little more effort to set up.

On a somewhat related note, I ordered a Drawtite hitch for the Unlimited from etrailer.com. They had three Class 3 options and I ordered what appeared to be the beefiest. Price was $122.97. I also ordered a wiring harness for $30.70 that is supposed to plug into the existing harness. Received e-mail notification within 2 hours that it had shipped (UPS ground - $14).

Lastly, in keeping with the tradition of many of you regular posters, I have chosen a name for my new Wrangler. She is an Unlimited Rubicon and she shall henceforth and hereby be know as Hoochie--lots of bling and will spend almost her entire life on the street :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Posts: 252
    I have had the same issue but only when my Jeep does not warm up for a few minutes. Mac, any ideas? John
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Posts: 75
    Wow, tons of advice guys--as always, thanks! Perhaps I'll give it a whirl myself; I would like to think I could figure it out...

Anyhow, yeah, thanks a bunch to everyone that replied!
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Posts: 75
    Well, hopefully I can finally offer some help, returning the favour of the numerous times I've received it from this board!

I recently installed fog lights on my 97 TJ with little trouble at all--we (I admit, my very electronically capable friend and I) grounded the wires just inside/under the hood directly infront of the battery. The wiring and instructions were pretty simple, and I used the factory holes in the bumper to mount--no drilling! :D

Anyhow, it was pretty simple, and they work great! They are hooked up independently from my other lights, and turn on with a simple switch. If you need a specific question, ask and I'll (or someone else for sure) do my best to help.
    Don't know what year yours is John but the original question was for an '04, which would probably have too low a mileage for deposits to have built up in the throttle body. Having eliminated that possibility I'd look at the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and/or the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor. Finally, it could possibly be an intermittent vacuum or inlet manifold gasket leak, but that's pretty unlikely.

However, as it's still under warranty I'd let the dealer puzzle over it. :)
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Hope you had a great trip to Tellico! Tell us all about it!

-Paul
  • jack41jack41 Posts: 7
    Thanks..feeling really stupid..after about six hours of head scratching / tearing the dash apart..finally found the oil filler cap lodged on the left side of the coupler at the steering box ! My two cents..don't overlook the obvious !
    A perfect illustration of why it's sometimes so hard to identify problems at a distance................it would have taken a very long time to guess that one correctly.

Just curious, but was this an oil filler cap that was lost, abandoned and replaced, or was the the cap actually missing from the engine?
  • Does anyone know of some good sources to obtain a vehicle owners manual? Not for my new Jeep but for my wife's car. I suppose the old one is in the Twilight Zone for those of you who are old enough to remember that show.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Harlan
  • jack41jack41 Posts: 7
    Actually he just bought it used off a lot here in California, and from what I can tell, the dealership changed the oil and just left the cap on the radiator support...with the crossover air tube for the air cleaner, I didn't even notice that it was missing on my initial exam ! Changing the oil for him right now !!
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    you could have just told us it was the "spetzer vavle" or some other non-existent part.. most of us would have believed you.

I tore into my dash several months ago to find out what was loose and rattling in there. Could not find anything loose, disgusted and PO'd, gave up on it for a several days. Finally noticed that the noise went away after I removed the papers that I had shoved between the drivers seat and the console. The speaker was vibrating the papers, it sounded like something loose in the dash.

I had another noise in the rear of the jeep that was driving me crazy, turned out to be the hitch pin through the receiver.

jeff
  • jakekjakek Posts: 3
    1997 Jeep Wrangler stalled and check engine light came on while driving. I have been told shows both the Camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor. Was told I could replace both or it could be the computer itself. Is there a way to know exactly what is wrong? I would hate to replace sensors and then have to replace computer. Appreciate any help! Thanks!
    Are you saying that you have codes that show problems with both CPS's, or that you've been told that the 'check engine' light means you have problems with them?

Either way it's unlikely that the PCM ("computer") is at fault.
  • jakekjakek Posts: 3
    I was told codes displayed indicate both the crankshaft and the camshaft sensors. I was told unlikely both would be bad so it could be the computer. Is there a way to pinpoint if it is one or the other and/or the computer? I hate to replace both sensors and then have to replace the computer. Thanks for any help!
    While it's unlikely that both sensors have gone bad at the same time, it's quite possible for one of them to be functioning at a less than optimum performance level, and when the other one failed you then had occasion to read the codes, one of which would already have been there had you looked previously.

One common cause of codes from those sensors is a high resistance connection at the harness connector. Next, rather than replace the sensors, have them tested. Both can be checked with an ohm meter.

Finally, if your PCM does turn out to have failed this post should cheer you up! ;)
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Well, my good Jeep Buds, the Old Tomster had a good time at Tellico. When I got back from that trip, I stayed home less than 24 hrs and then took a trip up to Hammond, Indiana, to see my old home town. That's why you haven't seen any posts from me this week.

Here are some pics from Tellico.

The first one is Thelma Jane on Trail 6. The second one is the stream crossing on Trail 5. The third is the famous Slick Rock on Trail 9. Only one Jeep tried that obstacle, and he didn't get too far.

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Tom, is that Landon ahead of ya?

-Paul