Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Yeah, I was still fooling with it when you posted.

I was trying to be a good boy and use my limited personal web space as host for that pic rather than use "another website" as host.

I finally got the URL exactly right, and the pic is showing now.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Yup, you got it fixed.

Time to consider those corner panels yet?

:-)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    It's fixed; guess I need to be a bit more patient.

btw, there's nothing wrong with the tub section that a little buffing with one of your infamous paper towels won't fix :-)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yes. Was gonna look up the post of yours with the link to the site where you can get them. Just in case I can't find it, and if you ain't got nothin' better to do.... :)

Tom
    I like Mac's idea better. Just cover up the damage with those tub corner guards. They make 'em in flat black, and they shouldn't look too bad on Thelma Jane. Wouldn't even consider the shiny diamond plate corner protectors. Don't like their looks at all.

Tom
    Looks like you just mentioned the corner things and did not post a link. I found where you suggested them back in early August.3

I'm sure I can find a website where I can order some.

Tom

'Toys by Troy' and 'Off your Rocker' are two names that come to mind. I think there are others. Steel or diamond plate steel (not aluminum) would be the way to go.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    Anyone with interest in future Jeep models, like the Unlimited, please check in on the Jeep Owners: Future Models discussion. Thanks.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dchristo1dchristo1 Posts: 59
    Tom,

Corner panels are a good thing. Poison Spyder if I recall correctly makes some nice black ones. I have seen them on a friends Sport which is also white and they looked good(even with the scratches he put on them). He had recessed the rear lights as well.

I solved my soft top dilemma..I bought a used hard top on ebay that was in perfect condition.The bonus was the 700 mile round trip Jeep ride I got out of the deal to pick it up. : )

Hope all is well,

David
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Anybody tried the new Bestop tops with the removable panel over the drivers?

You can get em with sliders too (for us poor souls who have half doors and zipper windows).

-Paul
    I know twylie has XM. I'm about to add XM to my TJ. Where is the best place to mount an XM antenna so it gets the best reception. (I have the soft top, so THAT is out.)

I am thinking about a glass mount on the windshield (top passenger side). It would be nice if XM had whip antennas I could mount on the rear bumper...

-Paul
    Just ordered some from Poison Spyder. Thanks for the info, David.

Thanks to you too, Mac, for suggesting those puppies to begin with. I didn't know that you could get them in black until you told me that back in August.

Decided just to stay with the factory tail lights for now at least.

Tom

P.S. In case anyone is thinking about getting these things, they come with all the holes pre-drilled for installation, they are made of 1/8th inch steel, and they are powder coated black. They cost $117 a pair, and the shipping in my case was $17.28.

Hope they really ain't as shiny as the one in the pic below looks. Thought powder coating made a flat black, not a shiny black???

Ordered a Lockright locker for the front end of Thelma Jane just now. Got it from Bob Supplee for $245 shipped.

Tom

• nolid5nolid5 Posts: 148
    Is someone finding ways to spend his tax refund? :-)

Rich
    Maybe. :)

But....

Let's just say I'm spending the money I am saving by not smoking.
  • nolid5nolid5 Posts: 148
    Once the front locker goes in does TB have anything more difficult than BP Gulch?
    Tom,

Will those guards hold up against further abuse and resist/prevent more dents or is it just a cover?

-Paul
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    Paul,

I've seen a few posts on other boards about being able to mount the antenna on top of the sound bar if that's an option for you (can't remember if you have a sound bar or pods for the rear speakers). It's up high, out of the way, and still clears the middle bow without a problem. When I get around to adding it to the TJ, that's my plan.

-twylie
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Since Tom is talking about damage, I guess I'll ask about my little bent piece. I was up on a mountain a couple of weeks ago, and it was REALLY windy. I opened my door to get out and I couldn't hold the door against the wind. It whipped open and bent the metal bar that the door strap sits on. The drivers side door now opens wider than it should. It isn't any big deal and I'm not really interested in trying to bend it back, but I was interested if anyone knew how much force it must have had to bend that bar - it looks substantial.
    Hard to give an exact answer. It's not just the leverage that the door has against the bar. It's that the door opens to a nearly 90° angle to the body, which allows the mass of the door to reach a higher velocity than if it opened to a more normal angle. Yours can now open even further now, which means it's even more likely to bend the bar next time. It's also more likely to hit the car next to you in a parking lot. Also, if the strap comes off the bar the next time it gets blown out of your hand, the door will impact the fender, doing unpleasant and expensive damage to both.

I seriously recommend you straighten it. One way would be to slip a length of pipe over it and tweak it back into the correct position. Check that the fastenings haven't loosened as well.