Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tjytjy Posts: 39
    Thanks for the info....and yes, I have a 4.0L 5spd. I couldn't care less about the milage really, I didn't buy my TJ for the gas milage, I bought it for the fun and 4-wheelin'! I was just curious after reading tsjay's posts and the excellent milage he's getting. I also have a lead foot and drive in heavy traffic. In fact, according to recent studies, the Washington, DC area has the second worst traffic in the nation, 2nd only to L.A.! Anyway, thanks for the info and talk to you soon....

p.s. - ok, ok, I think I finally got the hint.....I'll post my info in meet the members now tsjay.....
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I try to anticipate the stoplights and slow down far enough back that I usually don't even have to stop. It is often pretty obvious that you are going to have to stop at an intersection, so just slow down before you get there, and this can sometimes mean downshifting to accomodate the lower speed.

As long as you are not downshifting too soon and getting your RPM's too high, it won't hurt anything. It will mean extra use of the clutch, and clutches wear out over time, so while you are saving your brakes, you are also using up some of your clutch life. Usually, brake jobs are cheaper than clutch repairs.

What you DON'T want to do is maintain your speed right up to the last second and then jam on your brakes, like some people do. That is one of my pet peeves, and it irks me to no end to be riding with someone who does that. It makes no sense whatsoever to do that, and it puts extra wear on your brakes and hurts your gas mileage as well.

Catch you later.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Posts: 270
    wranglerwanted
    You should buy a Jeep at or just above invoice BEFORE the rebate. I would get the 3.73 axle ratio if you are going to run 30s or 31s.
    The add a trunk seems weak. I would get something else if you want it to be real secure.
    http://www.tuffyproducts.com
    The dana 44 is a good axle. I don't think you can get the dana 44 with ABS though.
    I would get cruise control if you do any highway driving.
  • yellowmanyellowman Posts: 209
    Heya

I noticed you talking about axles. I have no idea what axle I have. I didn't request anything special when I ordered mine. Can I check just by looking at or under my Jeep? Thanks for the info.
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    On the SE w/ 5 speed, you should have the 4.11 ratio rear end. If you had gotten the auto tranny, I think it's a 3.73. If you crawl under it and look at the differential, there will either be a metal tag that should have the ratio stamped or you might have the ratio stamped into the webbing on the diff (right lower corner if looking at it from the back of the Jeep).

-twylie
    Thanks for the link, twylie...That's some great advice. Now if the weather here would just warm up like it's supposed to be!!! There's been sunshine, but it's been chilly, especially at night. Can't wait to take them doors and top off!
  • tonkadavetonkadave Posts: 102
    Well my suspicions were correct. I wasn't able to get a VON number from my dealer for my order so I suspected they really didnt order it at all. I called the dealer again today and demanded answers. They now say that they dont have alloction to order and wont until tomorrow. So I wasted a whole week waiting for nothing. So Springfield Auto Outlet of Pa. has lost my business. I am going to another dealer tonight to place yet another jeep order. This time I am not leaving without a VON!!I complained to Chrysler and they recommend I go to another dealer as well. They also said I better hurry up as the cut off is April 20 for new orders of 2001s.
  • tonkadavetonkadave Posts: 102
    Well ok, i just placed an order with another dealer. Which was the first one I went to before anyway. Since it was late, they will put the order in tomorrow morning and call me with the VON. I believe it this time. I had to pay $100 more on the deal but they matched the trade in price. Now I am going to call the BS dealer and let them know exactly how they lost my Business. As if they dont already know. Plus I will call DC and ask for a customer survey and give them bad marks. (thanks for that idea twylie) I lost a whole week of waiting but hopefully I can get it before May is over. The Motto of this story is, that its better to pay a little more at a reputable dealer than get a great deal at a questionable one.
  • So far the best offer I've had is $100 over invoice for a Sport that I'd have to order from the factory. That's after the rebate. Depending on what they would give me on my trade in, I might do it. I really want a Jeep this year and not next year. I think they are supposed to do some redesign next year.

What are the best prices you guys have gotten, and from what dealers? I live in Northern VA and I've only talked to Heritage. Thanks
    Bummer about the BS dealer, but it sounds like you should be good to go now that you have the new order placed. I ordered mine on a Saturday, they said they'd call in the order that Monday, and I think they did it on Tuesday instead. Not too bad. But a week is ridiculous. Good for you for going elsewhere.
    Once you get the VON, wait a week or so, then start calling DC to get status reports. That's when it REALLY starts getting fun! Soon thereafter you'll be able to get the VIN, which you can use to set up insurance, etc. Keep us informed of the progress!
    Hey all

I noticed wranglerwanted posting about price and good/bad deals. I feel like I got a good deal, so I thought I'd post the breakdown I negotiated, maybe it'll help someone who's looking for an SE...If everyone does this, it could be a really helpful negotiating tool for those who are about to buy. Anyway, here's mine (the codes in parentheses are the official order codes):

Wrangler SE (TJJL77): $14,175
    Package 23N: $1,114
    Convenience Group 1 (AAC): $160
    Black Hard Top (VKX): $780
    Air Conditioning (HAA): $761
    Convenience Group (ADC): $140
    Body Sidesteps (MRJ): $64
    Radio/CD Player (RBR): $106
    Add-a-Trunk (JKC): $106
    Full Face Tire & Wheel (ACF): $264
    Sentry Key (GXX): $64
    Cloth Seats (L5/AZ): $128
    Destination & "Advertising": $805
    "Dealer Profit": $400
    SUBTOTAL: $19,071
    I then negotiated $100 off because I had deleted the subwoofer and engine block heater, so the final total was:
    $18,971 before the rebate. According to webcarbook.com, the invoice for this was $19,022.
    Hold the phone! That is NOT a good deal, if you are paying $600 over invoice and then getting the rebate to bring the total down to $100 over invoice.

Now, if you are paying $100 over invoice and then getting the rebate to bring the total down to $400 under invoice, that would be about as good as you could hope for.

Some people are getting Jeeps at invoice now, and then still getting the rebate to effectively buy the Jeep at $500 under invoice.

tsjay

Hiya, Doc!

As I told you I would, I paid attention to the tach today as I shifted gears. I found that my normal shift point is 2000 RPM's. I watched it several times, and I was very consistent.

If I want to take off a little faster, I will wind out the gears a little further, but just my normal take off and acceleration has me shifting at 2000 RPM's.

Thanks for the Meet the Members post!

tsjay

• I installed my 6" Warn trail flares this weekend. They look really good, but they were rather a pain in the rear to install (It took me a little over 2 hours). Hopefully they will keep some of the mud and spray up from the road off of the sides of my Jeep. I will post some pics later this week.

I also switched to the soft top. It really does get alot easier to put up with a little practice. I am down to about 10 minutes now.
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Posts: 147
    I want to see the pics of the flares man. I just put my lift and tires on and so far havn't had any trouble with road debris or anything, plus we've got a power washer at the house so it helps get some of that mud off.

I just switched tops tonight as well. Oh I love it with the top down! Such a beautiful night! My Spyro looks a little different without the roof rack and daylighters, looks alittle like it got a short hair cut or something, maybe I'm just not used to it yet because I've been running with the rack all winter long. I guess I can sacrafice for the ease of putting the top up and down :) heck yea I can!

Happy Jeepin'
  • You may not really need the flares, it really depends on the off-set of your wheels. How wide are your tires? I have 15x10 Centerline Hellcats with 33x12.50 BFG AT KO's. I am not really sure of the off-set of the wheels, but I know they were about 4" wider than the factory flares, so that's why I bought the new flares. I will try to get pics posted tomorrow.
  • saharanutsaharanut Posts: 134
    well looks like Mrs Nut has put my Jeep dreams to their final resting place. She told me that I coulnt get one. She said mybe in a year..yep
    heard that one before. Hope I can stick around here with all you. Tsjay..now you gotta hug Thelma eben harder for me..
    keep posting!

SaharaNut
    (terry)
  • tjytjy Posts: 39
    Hey Wranglerwanted! I'm in Rockville, Maryland, just on the other side of the Potomac from you and I got a great deal and a great dealer for you! I paid $100 over invoice BEFORE the rebate, so really paid $400 under invoice for my new Sport...and it's loaded!!!! I had the best vehicle buying experience of my life there, very professional, no back and forth to the manager or haggling...just walked in, ordered my 2001 Sport, and walked out in about 15 minutes (I did have an appointment so it would be quicker), with a VON in hand! Drop me an email and I'll give you my number and I can give you all the details! My email is: DiscoverChiropractic@starpower.net I'd be happy to help you any way I can...anything for a fellow Jeeper!!!!!!! Talk to you soon!!!
  • rs1157rs1157 Posts: 41
    My Wrangler is amazing. Uncle with a land rover could not take his eye of it and was not happy about seeing it, and how good it looked. Any way I was wondering what you guys use to kleen the soft windows. Can the rear window come of completely? I got the adda truck, don't get it, it is a waste. Jeeps rule. All Wrangler's are 4 x 4. Oh ya has anyone seen any spy shots of the 2002 wrangler? Get this I was looking at the members info, and someone here has the exact name as mine. First and last! What are the chances of that. Also my name is not the most common name so that makes things even more interesting.
    Drive It
    Hey all

Getting ready to clean the ol' Jeep this weekend by hand. Anyone have any suggestions as to car wash soaps to use, or do you just use water to hose it down initially? I think I have factory clear coat on the paint, so I don't want to do anything to damage that. Thanks for any advice!
    Hey all

Just thought I'd share this - when I initially got the Jeep, I looked under the hood and the pink coolant seemed to be a little low. It was down near the "add" line. I asked the salesman about this, and he said it only looks low because the car is cold (hasn't been running). Well, I've looked at it hot and it still seems low. I went to a closer dealership to see if they could add a little for me, but they recommended taking it back to the dealer who sold me the car, since they'd do it for free. The closeby dealership said he'd have to check the car in and charge me $38 to look it over. I couldn't believe he wasn't willing to just go back, get a little coolant, and pour it in. I'll try one other dealership that is more convenient for me, hopefully their service department will be a little more cooperative. It's a disappointment, because the one that was going to charge is literally around the corner from my apartment.
    Hey all

Anyone know where I can get a decent cargo net for my Jeep? I haul boxes to the post office a lot, and I want something that will form a barrier so the high-piled boxes in the rear don't fall on me when I stop. I've checked Quadratec and the only thing they seem to have is a net that goes over a seat to keep cargo sitting in the bucket. I need something that goes from the Sport Bar to the floor behind the front seats.

Incidentally, did my first cargo run last night with the rear seat removed (VERY easy to take out, BTW). I was a little worried I wouldn't have enough room, but as it turned out I was able to haul just as many boxes as I could before in my Saturn. I used to argue with my business partner over who would have to make the post office run each day, and now I don't put up nearly as much resistance ;-)

Mike
    The judgment is still out on the Add-a-Trunk. So far I haven't kept much in there, just a bottle of armor all, a towel, and some loose books. I could have used the room to haul boxes (which, at 12"x10"x10", were too big to fit inside the Add-a-Trunk). On the other hand, I like how it keeps the inside looking neat, even though I have loose stuff in there. I probably could have gone without it, but I don't regret having it (yet!)
  • rs1157rs1157 Posts: 41
    sorry about the spelling mistakes

Thanks eveyone
  • I use a little Ivory liquid (real mild) just a capful to a bucket. ALWAYS rinse first so you don't abrade the paint with grit.

Not sure on the windows. When they yellow, I wonder if vinegar will work (it does on nylon clothes!).
    Wash your Jeep with detergent that is designed for washing vehicles. Armor All and other companies make car wash solutions that you can buy at Walmarts or just about anywhere.

Since you probably haven't waxed that baby yet, it really wouldn't matter now, but those car wash solutions are designed so as to not remove your wax. Dish washing liquids or laundry soap WILL remove wax.

I would advise you to get that baby waxed as soon as possible too.

tsjay

Hey man

Thanks for the car washing suggestions, I'll pick up some of that Armor All car wash solution you recommend. This may sound stupid, but how long does a wax job typically last? With my previous cars, I would just take them into the machine wash place and have them give it a Rainbow Wax treatment, then maybe once a year have the thing detailed. But I will NOT be messing with machine washes with the new baby Jeep. Also, what's reasonable to pay for a hand wax job? I don't mind washing it on my own, but I tried hand waxing one of my old cars once and my arm almost fell off. Not to mention the risk you take in getting some of the wax on the black trim - that stuff will leave a PERMANENT mark!!!
    I just paid a guy $35 for a hand wash and wax job when I was up in Illinois last week. I told him not to do anything inside- just a good wash and wax.

You are definitely right about not getting wax on the fender flares or the hard top! It is impossible to get it off.

Ask around for recommendations for a good detail shop. I enjoy washing a vehicle and don't really even mind waxing one, but the weather is so often against you here, that it is hard to get a good wax job done when it isn't too cold, too hot, or raining. You aren't supposed to wax a vehicle in the hot sun, and I don't have a shade tree anywhere on my property.

tsjay

Oh, yeah, BUG GUTS! GET THEM OFF AS SOON AS YOU GET WHERE YOU'RE GOING! They will definitely stain the paint if they are allowed to stay on there very long at all. People laugh at me, but I actually take a wet paper towel and get the bugs off the grill and front fenders when I get to work and again when I get home. (What a fanatic, huh?)
    Ok, you have tried begging, pleading, and reasoning with momma, so now it's time to take the Nike approach to your Jeep! JUST DO IT!

Momma will get over it. There's just some things that a man has to do, whether momma understands or not!

Mrs. Saharanut, Terry needs a Jeep. If he doesn't get one, he will just be a shell of a man. Empty and void of all emotion. A zombie! He will wither up and die. Do you want that to happen?

So, just be understanding when he drives up in that new Jeep.

tsjay