Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• gman1259gman1259 Posts: 209
    In So Cal we can have the top off for months at a time (if we have a bikini style top for sun protection). I have my soft top on the vehicle and I have only put it up to go through the car wash in the past two months.

Glen
    It's a little further but you can take the 14 to Palmdale, then catchthe 138 there.

Not sure why am telling you this because I sure you know that area better then I do.

Glen
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Just make a trail with your Jeep. :) just kidding.

You can take the 14 to 138 to the 15 and go that way. If traffic is a pain, 14 north to 58 (around Edwards) to Barstow to the 15 is pretty good and traffic is usually pretty light going up there (until you hit Barstow).

-Paul
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    As for the snow, ANY vehicle's weak spot is going to be the driver. If you neighbor is basing the decision to 'park the Wrangler' when it snows on the abilities of his TEENAGE driver, then I suggest your neighbor needs to get out more.

I've seen old RWD cars w/o traction control and abs driving just fine on winding, snowpacked roads while there was a Hummer and a Jeep in the ditch. Common sense will be the rule dictating how you drive. A Jeep is a VERY capable offroader and VERY capable on the snow, but it will only be as capable as the driver controlling it.

Another factor is tires. My FWD Honda Civic was supposed to be decent in snow, but with the tires I had on it, it was like Dorothy Hamill sliding across the ring and doing a Hamill Camel.

So in summary:
    1. Your neighbor needs to get out more.
    2. Your neighbor's kid needs to learn to drive.
    3. Be familiar and comforable in your vehicle.
    4. Know your vehicle's handling limits BEFORE it snows.
    5. Go nowhere near the limits when it snows.
    6. Use common sense - allow for the effects snow and ice have on handling characteristics.
    7. Slap a ski rack on the back and go skiing!

-Paul
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Good points! I once bought a five speed 1984 T-Bird Turbo Coupe from a friend of mine who claimed the car was terrible in the snow. I promptly threw away the General rim protectors and fitted a set of Dunlop D60 A2s. In the following five years the old sled got stuck ONE time; it got high-centered on a ridge of snow in a friend's driveway.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    How I wish we had some!

Glad to hear the Pine fire is out - that is the one that had me stumped. Perhaps I shouldn't be so happy - we are driving the Wrangler and we could make our own way across the Mojave desert. My husband did point out that if the 138 from Gorman to the 14 was still closed we could always go into LA and stop at Starbucks for coffee (no Starbucks before Primm the way I go, which is I-5, 138 to 14 to 58 to the I-15).

I use the Wrangler as my daily driver when it snows (the 2WD Tacoma is hopeless in the snow). It is fine for driving in fairly deep snow. I got it stuck once - it got high centered when the 30" of wet snow we had one night got packed under the frame. As soon as I dug the snow out from under the frame I was able to back it up into my driveway and wait for the snow plow (which was a good thing - there were over 100 cars stuck on the freeway so I wouldn't be able to get to work anyway). I have Bridgestone Dueller AT tires on it now and while they were excellent for the first year, they are marginal now that they are pretty worn.

I agree that tires make a huge difference in the snow, and I'm pretty careful about driving in the winter. Any vehicle that locks the front and back axles together (Wranglers included) will have a problem when the roads are mostly clear but might have a few patches of ice every so often. You can't use this type of 4x4 system on dry roads, so the Wrangler will be like any 2WD vehicle (drive gingerly).
  • gretagreta Posts: 23
    Pete; Mine starts off with a digital display that reads "S of 4.0," then reads "No Faults" and then activates though all the gauges individually?; as I had said earlier. ??? I wonder... "What it all means." I guess some days I wonder more than other days. Greta
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Hey, Jeep Buds, I have heard from Mac via email, and he says he has been away from the board because of a spinal fusion operation.

He says he is sorry if anyone has addressed questions to him or asked something that he might be able to help with: he just can't sit at the computer now.

He says he just can't concentrate for long at a time yet, and I guess that's because of pain (he didn't say).

Let's all post some "get well' messages for the Old Macster. I think he can sit long enough to read a few posts, but he can't take the time to type replies.

So, here's my get well wish for him....

GET WELL SOON, MAC! WE MISS YA!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Ya Mac,

Get well soon.

Glen
    I have posted this advice before, but for the sake of the newbies, I'll say it again.

If you think you would EVER want a hard top, the time to get it is at the time of purchase of the vehicle. That dual top option will get you a hard top (factory quality) MUCH cheaper than you will ever get one later.

If you get a factory quality hard top later, they are about $1800, not including shipping. Not sure you would get the rear wiper either for that price.

Tom

I'll take a look at my FSM for those codes you asked about.

Tom

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Did you get any storms down your way? We were lucky-we only had a few branches down and a six hour power outage. Other parts of the area are still without power and in some cases it won't be restored for several days.
    GET WELL SOON!!!!!!

You have my prayers - I have a slight idea what you are going through (I've got an arthritic back) and I wouldn't wish back problems on my worse enemy.
    Hope you are doing OK - I heard there was another fire very close to your mountain. My thoughts are with you, hoping for that your place isn't in the path of the new fire.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    From all of us - success and speedy recovery!

tidester, host
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    We all miss you. Get back when you can.

Terry
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    Our thoughts are with you through your recovery. I've got a good "home maintenance gone bad" story for you when you return!.

-twylie
    No serious damage in my little neighborhood, Bailey, but there were trees down in the general area. One good size tree split and the part that split fell in a lady's yard just down the road from me, but that was all the damage I have seen.

Power was off about three hours.

Tom

"Greta- I tried the self-check you described, kind of cool - too bad I don't know what it all means. Mine starts off with S of 2.1, No Faults and then tests the warning lights and gauges. I like that it tests lights that don't apply to my Jeep, like Cruise and Full-Time. Weird that the 4wd Low light didn't light up, then again, it's never come on since I've owned it.

I found it interesting during the gauge test, that it seems to display a few different levels on each gauge. On the speedo, for example, it showed 76 MPH as the highest - which is the fastest I've probably gone in recent memory. I wonder if it's recording maximum levels for each gauge.

Tom or Mac, do your books give any information about this self-test and what those gauge readings mean? Does the 2.1 that mine starts with mean firmware version?

Thanks,
    Pete"

Pete:

OK, I found the section in the FSM that describes the instrument panel diagnostic procedure.

The first numbers indicate the EMIC software level (they give an example "SOF 8.9"). The last six digits in the VIN will also be displayed ( I guess that's the next thing you should see).

It will then display any codes pertaining to faults it has detected, and if none are found, it should scroll across the display "no faults."

The next thing it does is turn on and then off the warning lights one at a time.

Finally, it will scan the individual gauges, placing the needle at pre-determined calibration points.

Tom