Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Have you been polishing your hardtop? It looks shiny in the last pic.
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Not exactly. When I took it off last year, I took a paintbrush and covered it with Penetrol, aka the amazing $10 hardtop restoration. Worked wonderfully, the top just drank it up. I slathered it on there, used about 1/2 can, then let it dry in a sheltered place for a few days since it's sticky at first. Highly recommended. Just be careful not to get it on the windows. We've used it to restore boat fiberglass before so I figured why not.
  • The cart is a great idea.

We have a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon in light khaki w/ a factory khaki hardtop. The Jeep/hardtop are new(5 wks. old)What do you and other forum folks recommend to maintain the top? Vehicle is garaged at home and at work, but taken off pavement every week and returns with lots of crud, mud and dirt. The dlr. says Mopar Finish Enhancer(?).
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,926
    Harbor Freight has a mover's dolly for about $20 you could probably expand to fit easily enough (I love casters; my home office is on a slab and both desks and the hutch are on casters).

Ducks, do you do anything else with the fiberglass besides brushing the Penetrol on it? My buddy just got an older 21' glass sailboat that could use a little brightening.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Now what the heck are you going to do with a sailboat in Idaho? Nah, just brush it on after you've scrubbed it clean. It might be a smart idea to test it on a small spot using a rag first. And it will be sticky for a couple days until it sets. I've heard people say it doesn't last but we've never had a problem. You just have to make sure you slather it on to get a solid coat.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Now what the heck are you going to do with a sailboat in Idaho?

Check this out: Southern Idaho Sailing Association

If you hurry you can make it on time for the Rust Remover Regatta! :)

tidester, host
    This one is getting parked at Lucky Peak reservoir. Between my two canoes and my buddy's two catarafts, canoe and now the sailboat, we could do our own regatta.

I never did find any photos from the 70's of my '74 CJ-5 with the bumper welded canoe rack to load on my CarSpace page. Talk about a Rube Goldberg contraption. I broke the welds several times bumping down dirt roads to the rivers. That Jeep saved a few long portages. ;)

Steve, Host

• jacknimblejacknimble Posts: 171
    Just how many windshield variations can there be? Will they be offering a split windsheild version? :)
  • i was just wondering if anybody knows any good shops where they lift and do tires. i have a stock used 2003 sport, and i'm thinking of getting 33" tires on my stock wheel, and lifting it 3". or should i go 4" if you have any good shops that will give good deals and good service please help me out.

i'm also debating on 3" lift or 4"
    Use a 2 1/2" to 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift, unless this is a street cruiser, when you can get away with a minimal or no lift at all.
  • 6 wks. ago we purchased a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon with the factory hardtop(dark khaki). Any suggestions for keeping the top looking new?
    Sort of. :blush:

Jeep at the NY auto show (Straightline)

Steve, Host

• 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    I'm going to the show this Sunday. Can't wait.
    I'll take lots of pics and post'em when I get a chance.
    Maybe I'll even use CarSpace ;)

One thing I won't be doing is waiting in that line for the "off road" ride. last year it wrapped around the building..much too long a wait.

-Dan
  • scampscamp Posts: 4
    First let me introduce myself. I am a 53 year old woman with a 95 Jeep Wrangler. Silly I know, but what can I say. I LOVE JEEPS! Anyway.....I couldn't wait to take the top and doors off so I did it last Thursday. That night it stormed like crazy! Monday and today I drove it to work and the temps have been 43 degrees, So here I am driving down the highway with my winter coat, gloves and knit hat, with the heater blowing full blast. The people at work think I am absolutely crazy. But until they own a Jeep, they will never understand that feeling. Just wanted to share with people who know what I'm talking about. Thanks for listening.
    Nothing wrong with being fifty three! Happens to us all if we're lucky. :blush:
    Happened this year to a few of us, lol; I was barely able to snowboard my age this winter.

Isn't it hard to do the Jeep Wave all bundled up like that? :shades:

Welcome Scamp!

Steve, Host

• wrnglr57wrnglr57 Posts: 4
    Yep Ive been past Minonk. I know the feeling of being without the jeep. I had my cat. converter go bad and it took some stuff with it. I paid about 700.00 to get it all back. I still have some carb probs. but thats easily fixed. Is a 95 a tj also? Coulcnt remember if 94 was the last year for the yj's. Nice to meet y9u. Hope you get her back soon. Great weather coming for top down!
  • wrnglr57wrnglr57 Posts: 4
    LOOKS like they sorta muscled it up like a hummer. i allways wonder if anybody would take one of those off-road?
    Looks like with all of that high tech paint, you woiuldnt dare scratch it up. Just wondered....
    LOOKS like they sorta muscled it up like a hummer. i allways wonder if anybody would take one of those off-road?

Oh, Hummers get taken offroad occasionally! :shades:

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    tidester, host
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    95's are Wranglers, but not TJ's. They are the YJ's and are easily spotted by the rectangular headlights.

-Paul
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    Martin,

When you take that Hummer "offroad" in the swamp like that, do you get any water in the cabin area? Does it ever get in deep enough to try to float?

Terry
    Only if the windows are down! ;)

No, I maybe get a teaspoonful or two come in past the door seals, which aren't very high tech but seem to work fine as long as the door is adjusted correctly. The approved technique is to pull the floor drain plugs and let the interior fill to the depth of the outside water (30" for the civilian version and about double that for the military), then drive along the bottom. I prefer to let it float, which it starts to do at around 30", rather than deal with the detailing afterwards. I can vary the buoyancy to a certain extent from the drivers seat by altering the tire pressures up or down.

Of course, we're talking recreational situations here. If I was getting into anything serious I'd pull the plugs in a heartbeat.
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Posts: 75
    Of course, we're talking recreational situations here. If I was getting into anything serious I'd pull the plugs in a heartbeat.

Geez, Mac, your 'recreational' situations sound like fun...

I love taking my Jeep off road, but letting her 'float' would be more 'serious' than 'recreational' for me! lol :P

Ryan
    It's not something I do on a regular basis. :)

In a confined still water situation as in the pic it's safe enough, but in moving water like a stream it's all too easy to get swept away.

I should also point out that I was in dirty water rather than mud in that pic. I don't usually get into deep mud with any vehicle if I can help it. It's far too easy to get stuck and/or sustain damage, either at the time or later from the abrasive effect of the mud on bearings and seals. Driving through deep mud doesn't require much skill either. Just needs plenty of momentum and a heavy right foot, then you either get through or you don't. Deep mud is really the province of specially built vehicles.
  • wpowellwpowell Posts: 125
    Got my mall crawler in the woods last weekend. We had a great time climbing some hills and playing in a lot of off camber stuff. Also drove about 15 miles of washboard clay roads to get there. When I got back on the pavement I noticed that I had acquired some suspension "creaking" sounds every time turned sharply or did anything else that flexed the suspension at all. Bugged the hell out of me for days until I finally figured out that it was the Body Armor rocker protection that I had bolted on right before I headed to the woods. These rails bolt to the frame (only, nothing in the body) using the factory frame-to-body bolts. It appears that every time the frame flexes the damn things creak/groan. Looks like I'm gonna have to pull them back off and get something between the rails and the frame/body to dampen them. I guess the good news is I didn't actually break anything in the woods :D
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Try some Tough Stuff rocker guard. It attaches to one end and you can easily use it here. It should help. I used it on my body mounted rockers AND on my mirror relocator brackets.

http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/jeep/rocker_guard.html

You can get it from a variety of sources. This SHOULD stop the metal/metal sound and actually protect and keep it from making noises.

-Paul
    Thanks Paul. That's a good suggestion, but I don't think it will work in this application. These things have three steel channels that mount "open side up" over the ears that protrude from the frame to support the body. So, I don't have flat surface to flat surface contact. I think I can split something tough like fuel line and cover the edges of the channels. This sh ould give me a fairly tough barrier. Poor design IMHO.
    Can someone give me some pointers on when to engage my factory Rubi lockers, and maybe more importantly when NOT to? A couple of recent examples: I'm approaching a mud hole in a national forest road that doesn't look too intimidating, but I never know what nut with 44's has dug ruts that I could hide my jeep in. Lock then or wait 'til I'm in trouble? Another one: climbing some sandy hills that are very tough w/o the lockers engaged. I lock up and get to the top where I'm on firm ground and need to do a tight "10-point" turn because there are trees everywhere. Unlock until I'm right back into the soft stuff or leave 'em locked while making all of these tight turns to get headed back down the hill? My concern is that best case I will use my lockers as a crutch and never develop better driving skills, or worse case I may do some drivetrain damage over time by using them inappropriately. Help! :confuse:
    Good question! See my last post for my views on deep mud. However, in the situation you describe a lot depends on whether you are alone or not. If on your own then do everything possible to bypass the mud pit. While lockers might get you through, they could just as easily get you several yards deeper before you get stuck. If you have a buddy with a winch then go for it (there's not much skill needed for deep mud). Better still, if you have a winch then send him in first! :shades:

In the second case, unlock and stop at the top of the hill. Maneuver as necessary, then lock up again for more soft or loose stuff.

The best way to get through an obstacle is to engage 4WD, then lockers if required, before you start to lose traction. The best way to learn off roading skill though, is to attempt various different scenarios without 4WD and lockers, then bring them in progressively as required. However, you can't learn the limits without getting stuck, so plan your escape route accordingly. Preferably have a buddy or two with you (in separate vehicles) and be suitably equipped for recovery.

Finally, two basic rules. First, there's no shame in finding yourself stuck (unless it's in the parking lot at the mall :blush: ), and second, it's harder to get unstuck than not to get stuck in the first place. In other words, once you lose traction (easy), you have to regain it (not so easy). So, you learn not to get stuck by finding how you do get stuck, which is all part of the fun! :D