Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I think it was the Green Hornet. Maybe Wild Thing would be more appropriate - the color is wild all right!

You can always buy an Unlimited with one top and buy the other top aftermarket. I've always thought that it was better to buy the factory hard top because the Wrangler would be already wired for the defroster and back window/washer. Then get an aftermarket soft top. Others say they have picked up hard tops at great prices, so it can be done both ways, though I doubt there will be any good deals on Unlimited hard tops, so I think that I'd start with the hard top, if you really want both.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I was assuming that you would be doing the "rock crawling" type of wheelin', since I also assumed from your username that you are in AZ. I have never done any rock crawling, but I guess that's about all you do out there in the West, right?

It is more important for rock crawling to have that 4:1 low range in the T-case than it is for the wheelin' that is done around here, but there are situations that I get into at Turkey Bay where it would be nice to have (like Buttpucker Gulch and Rocky Top).

A full locker will keep an axle pulling, even when the tire on one side is completely off the ground. Limited slip requires at least a little bit of traction on each side, unless you use the brake trick to "fool" it (use the brake and the gas pedal at the same time, and the brake makes the differential "think" there is traction, since there is resistance).

Are you thinkin' Unlimited Rubicon or just the standard Wrangler Rubicon? The extra length of the Unlimited version would have both some advantages and some disadvantages for wheelin'. Climbing a steep rock, the extra wheelbase would make it less likely to flip over backwards. One disadvantage would be in break-over angle. With the front and rear wheels being further apart, you would hang the belly on places that a shorter wheel base Jeep would go over OK. I'm not sure about departure angle, but it makes sense that it would suffer from the extra five inches of Jeep behind the rear wheels.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Been meaning to ask ya... how's the back?

Tom

And is Bamatazz still around? Thought of him today since he is in Alabama and I wondered how he did with Ivan.
    I have not heard a WORD out of him in ages. Hope he is OK.

I posted a birthday greeting to him on July 20, and he never posted since then. I think it had been a long time before I posted his birthday greeting since he had posted.

It's funny, cause I was just thinking about him earlier this evening too.

Tom

• 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    Congratulations! Lime Green looks much better than I thought it would. You'll get even more looks, in that baby, than the usual envious Jeep looks.

-Dan
  • I'm gone for 4 days and there are a 100+ posts - yikes! Just got back from a boating trip on Lake Norris in Tennessee. Ivan hit us on Friday - I think I head that we saw 20 inches of rain there. Yikes! That number sounds a little high, but the lake level rose bigtime. When we put the ski boat in, there was a dock sitting on dry ground by the launch ramp. By the time we pulled the boat out Sunday morning, the dock was floating. Couldn't believe it! However, the lake is basically in the Smokies, and is rained non-stop for a day and a half. Hopefully no one got hit with anything too bad. I live far enough North that I didn't have to deal with any issues at home. Hope everyone in the path is doing OK.

JeepHead
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    It's doing very well thanks Tom. I was able to stop wearing the body brace (looks like body armor) last Friday. I still can't believe what a positive result I've had. Apart from only being allowed to lift light things for the present, my life is back to normal. I've got a course of physiotherapy to do to get my strength back, then I'm pretty much good to go.

To keep on track with the board topic, it's so nice to feel the support of the Sahara's seat against the small of my back again!

:--)
  • Kermy comes to mine.
  • the local dealer here has offered me a 2004 with a sticker of 30,750 for 26,750. I am not sure if that includes the 1,000 rebate right now but I am going to check. It is khaki and I want Patriot Blue but with an offer like that it may be hard to pass up. It is also an "Auto-tragic" and I prefer a manual. I am going to go test drive it this week and see what I think of the auto ...

C
    Good deal, Old Buddy! Glad you are on the mend.

Tom

Man, four grand off sticker is NOT BAD.

Just be sure to get a Jeep that you will truly be happy with in a few months. A killer deal might sound good right now, but BE SURE you really like the Jeep. Make sure it would be a Jeep that you would buy without the big discount.

Khaki is a great color, in my opinion. Patriot Blue is nice, but it will show scratches, if you are thinking about off roading your Jeep, and if you are not going to offroad, save your money and get a Sport. No need for all the stuff on a Rubi if you are not going to off road.

Tom

• Yeah I plan on getting it "dirty" ... I am going to see if I can swing the same deal on an ordered Jeep. If not I will just get the khaki, it isnt that I dont like the color, I just like the blue better. More updates after my test drive.

C
    For God's sake, work a deal for replacement flares in BLACK, if you go with an 05!!

The dealer can order some black ones for ya and swap 'em out before you take delivery of the Jeep. They may SAY they can't do that, but if they were going to sell me an 05, they would HAVE to.

Tom

The Light Khaki was my second choice color and I would have been happy with it if I couldn't have gotten the green.

I'm actually happier with the auto than I thought I would have been. It is different off-road than the 5 speed Sport - I had some problem getting used to where it revs and what that means (or really, what it doesn't mean) with choosing the right gear going up and down hills. I think with some more experience, I could easily off-road an automatic.

But I'm not going to be doing that much - this one is my daily driver. If I off-road it too much my Noble Black Steed will get too lonely and look at me reproachfully...

Mac - glad to hear your back is better and that the surgery was worth it. It is always a question-mark when they start working in that area, so I'm glad you have a success story!

I wonder how my flares have gotten so distorted? :)

This was taken just this past Saturday (9/18/04) in Buttpucker Gulch.

Tom

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Man it sure looks dry there Tom. Looks like you avoided the bad stuff. :)

Kermit is my 4 banger! :) No self respecting frog would be lime green! :) I like the Green Avenger, but Dodge or somebody made an Avenger too back in the 70's. I think Wild Thing works well.

Mtngal, so is the NGS (Noble Green Stretch) your new baby or your hubby's?

As much as I love the idea of more storage for a Jeep, I'd probably have to go with the SWB Rubicon for my next one (I just have to get one before they redesign em!).

Oh yeah, what is the best way to tow a TJ (all wheels off the ground or just have the front lifted up)? I may be hauling it a good distance soon and wanted to find the best way to move it. The distance is too far for me to feel comfortable driving a 2.5L that far for that long, so I may tow it with my Grand. Any input welcome.

-Paul
    I had already gotten past the toughest part when that pic above was taken.

This one shows the "fun" spot that used to get me all the time. My spotter did a great job keeping me far enough to the right (to the left from the driver's perspective) and up on that wall high enough.

Tom

• that little stretch of trail would make my butt pucker!! a very appropriate name..

jeff
  • Don't let Tom fool you into thinking he is actually driving Thelma in those tough spots. In reality it is Ross Allen who does all of the tough driving!