Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• I'll ditto keats on these items.

be sure to get husky liners / not mats. the liners are designed to fit to your jeep floor and have a large lip on the edge to catch, mud, snow, slush, spilled soda etc.

i don't use the grab handle to get in the jeep, but a friends wife was lost without having one to grab getting in. i got the ones from raingler, they are well built and strong.

jts

shop around there is a significant difference in prices on the liners, you might want to watch ebay too, there were some new and used ones on there too, but the new ones were selling higher than i could get them from jeepline.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Do these liners replace the carpet or fit over it?

-Paul
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    They're moulded to fit over the carpets. They look like an OE item and do their job very well.
  • I'm at work now, ready to head for lunch,, I'll take a couple pictures to show you what they look like.

jeff
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    Just say NO to Armor All. If you want to use something similar in usage, check out 303 Products. They are UV safe and not silicone based. It's the best thing I've found to use on the soft top and dash.

Also, on mats, Catch All makes a molded mat that fits over the carpet and has a lip. The Catch All mats are carpet on top and mine have been muddy/hosed/scrubbed/dried many times and still look decent. I drive barefoot most of the summer and like the carpet under my feet.

pics with and without in my Jeep: http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/cosmetic.htm#catchall

-twylie
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    The Unlimited made the LA Times - 1st page of the Highway Section today. I thought the review pretty accurate - if you want luxury, don't buy a Wrangler of any sort.

I've thought about getting a gas can and a bracket for those times I'm wandering in the desert (it can be a long way to the next gas station, which is often Baker, CA and they have the most expensive gas in California there, I think) but I wouldn't want to carry extra gas as a regular thing - there are too many crazy drivers on the L.A. freeways! In fact, the reason they had closed the I5 yesterday was an overturned big rig hauling diesel fuel; they had the freeway closed both directions for several hours trying to clean it up.

Paul's Kermit is definitely one nice looking vehicle. I love his rocker panel protectors with the bars for steps. I keep thinking about getting something like that for my NBS. And he has all the electronic "toys" you should find in a Jeep - including a GPS device that made me jealous - now I want one.
    Thanks for the compliments. :)

I agree a gas can in Cali traffic could potentially blow up in your face, pun intended.

You can get some nice spare tire carriers that integrate a gerry can (or two) behind or next to the spare tire. That would be what I recommend for your trips to Vegas or playing on the trails. Otherwise, you can leave the cans out for daily driving.

As for the GPS, it was fun to install and run the wiring so it is hidden (I HATE visible wires). The CB was a challenge (especially since I had already installed the Tuffy Security Console. If you want to install the 75WXST CB, install it BEFORE finalizing your security console install!!! I definitely consider the CB and GPS as essential if you are going to be backwoods and/or wheeling somewhere. it is nice to see where you are and where you've been in case you have to backtrack. The CB make trail communications SO much easier (thanks TOM!) but gives you a chance to radio for assistance if you have big problems.

I still plan to rerun my antenna wiring through the door. I don't like the way the wiring is looking after having the rear door close on it. I just have to drill a BIG hole to fit the wire (with ends) through. Time to buy some grommets. :)

-Paul
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,958
    I don't think it's safe period. Plus you shouldn't expose gas cans to direct sunlight, so that means you shouldn't haul it to Vegas on the outside of the Jeep! (CITGO)

Maybe carry an empty gas can and a siphon hose.

Steve, Host
    I got my grips before I knew about Raingler. But I like that style. If I move to a wetter area, I'll definitely consider the Husky's.

-Paul
  • I just saw one of these at my local jeep dealer. They received them this morning in a shipment. Basically a loaded X but here are the differences:

Green Fender Flares
    Green Top
    Green Steel Wheels

and best of all

Camoflauge accented seats!!!

It really looked cool so I took one for a test drive! Sticker on it was 24,xxx$

I forgot my camera so no pics yet, but maybe tomorrow!

Chris
  • Ok, my 98 GC was in need of service so i put it in the shop. A sales person has let me drive a 2004 unlimited for free for 2 days. I know they hope i buy the unlimited. I just recieved a call making me an offer of $22,136 and has a MSRP of $26,636. It has all tinted windows, hardtop, 7 speaker stereo, auto dimming mirror with compass, i guess all the standard goodies that come on an unlimited. They will also swap out my new BFG 31x10 AT onto the unlimited for free and put the stock tires on my GC. I have to take Chrysler financial financing to get the $1,500 in discount and they are applying my $500 military discount. Does this sound like a descent deal??? I have until friday afternoon to make up my mind.
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    Jeff,

Good looking Unlimited. I have Kkaki interior in mine, but I still went with the black Huskyliners and I'm glad I did. I have them front, rear and cargo area.
  • Someone mentioned that the Unlimited is a much more civilized ride, more stable, etc. But the Unlimited is almost as long as a Liberty, so if I wanted something that large (relatively speaking), I would go for the Liberty and get a quantum leap in comfort, ride quality, handling, quietness, etc.

The Wrangler is radically different from a car in how it drives on pavement, but it's the only thing that can do the things I did on Saturday. Part of the reason for this is its super-short length. So I wouldn't want to give that up for the Unlimited, which would be an awful pavement machine compared to any other small SUV (like the Liberty), with compromised off-road ability compared to the normal Wrangler. It would be the worst of both worlds, kind of.
  • my unlimited had a sticker of 26,785. I paid 22800 after rebates were applied, I received the $1000 purchase rebate, the $500 finanacing rebate , (but not the military rebate)

I was happy with the deal I got!

jeff

but it all depends on your trade, are you happy with what you are getting there??
  • Man, you really insulted Nicole.

She loves running down the Highway and is totally looking forward to the first time she gets to go offroad.

jeff
    Sounds like a good deal to me - mine was about the same though I didn't get the hard top or have them swap tires around. I'd go for it, if it is what you want.
    You insulted my Green Machine, too!

But each of us have different needs, likes and so on. If the Unlimited doesn't do it for you, by all means, get a Sport or a Rubicon. And from the sounds of things, you really should get a Rubicon - my personal experience is that you don't give up any on-road comfort or handling when you buy a Rubicon over a Sport (assuming you can afford it).

I like the Liberty and I've seen that it is quite capable off-road, not like other small SUVs. I don't think it is a quantum leap in either ride quality, handling or quietness over the Unlimited - ride quality and handling weren't much different and while it is quieter, it isn't as much as I had expected. Perhaps in comfort, if you like leather (I don't). However, it sure doesn't fit short passengers. I'll take my Unlimited over a Liberty any day.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Jefferson:

Man, you are talking $4500 off sticker! I don't see how you could do any better than that.

PULL THE TRIGGER! (Especially if this dealer is one that you have confidence in.)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    There is a MUCH greater factor than vehicle length as far as off road capability, and that is the suspension system. The Liberty has IFS, and it will not begin to go the places that a Wrangler will go, whether the Wrangler is a short wheel base version or the Unlimited version. So, don't think you "might as well get a Liberty as an Unlimited," as far as off road capability.

I wheel with XJs all the time, and even with their longer wheel base compared to that of a standard Wrangler, they go just about anywhere that I go. They have a solid front axle and coil springs (same front suspension as a Wrangler), whereas the Libby has IFS.

I posted somewhere a few pages back that length can be a positive factor in some off road situations, but I admit that it is a disadvantage in most off road situations. A slightly bigger lift and bigger tires can overcome some of the disadvantage of the extra length as far as breakover angle.

Joe, I am not trying to talk you into an Unlimited. I am not trying to talk you into ANYTHING. But, your reasoning in your last post was flawed.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?