Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• rd75rd75 Posts: 10
    All right, so I passed on the '95 YJ 4-cylinder. Now I am considering a '98 Wrangler Sport, I6 with manual transmission, 114,00 miles, for $5000. Only catch is it has a rebuilt title, it sat through a hurricane down in Florida. The top got beat up pretty bad and one of the windows busted out and it got a lot of water inside. A few nicks and dings but overall looks good. I have been told it never was flooded (i.e., sitting partially submerged in water), it just got water in the interior. I would prefer a few less miles, since I do put a lot of miles on my vehicles. I got a couple days to consider it.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    General rule of thumb is that a salvage titled vehicle is worth 50% of its value in current condition without the salvage title.

I would think that $10k would be rather high for a '98 with 114k in the condition you describe.
  • God love you, Mac!

Oh how I wish it were true, but there is no locker button where there should be one (next to what would be the ashtray but isn't there either; nor the Airbag disable switch which isn't there either) with a blank black plug.

I suspect that I have the regular old part-time 4x4 system without the front lockers. The only difference are the 'available' lights in the dash unit for optional systems!

Just thought I would ask anyway!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,562
    Goducks and Mac's poster links remind me - have you guys met Sarge yet?

If you haven't done so already, be sure and become friends with at least one of the CARS characters before Friday at midnight. The winner gets to go to the world premier of the movie on May 26 at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC.

Here's the link.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    Great posters.

I have the "universal Jeep" and "hellbent for victory". I love that era of posters. Travel posters from that time are amazing.

I think I picked them up real cheap on the Jeep site a year ago or so on clearance.

-Dan
  • believebelieve Posts: 74
    I second what Mac says about the worth of a "R" title.
    Remember....good things come to those who wait!
    By the way...have you considered MTGALs 98.....it has high miles but those were all highway miles.....
    you might want to work out a deal on her's. ;)
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    What a downer! Also a really hard choice - I'd probably try to hang onto the Unlimited as long as practical (and find a job soonest), but there's only so much you can do about that.

I'd offer you a good discount on my Sport, but don't suppose you are interested in a trip to California, are you?

Good luck whatever you decide.
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    Hi, drewmeister, the same thing happened to me when I was working for GTE Networking in Dallas. My entire department was a victim of the merger with Bell Atlantic--the company that it formed was Verizon. Thankfully, working for a large company I could have taken moves to other departments, but they made the exit package so attractive, I couldn't resist.

Keep your chin up, one door closes and another one opens. Now, I work for one of the finest institutions in the world.

Don't sell the Jeep just yet, you might land that plumb job anytime!
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Posts: 168

I would probably take you up on that if I could, since I know it's been loved and treated right. That makes such a huge difference in a used vehicle.
    Thanks. It's a similar issue for me. I could move, but I would lose so much by moving that it makes it impossible.

I'm going to hang onto it for the summer at least. I remember how I felt for years after selling the first one.

Strangely, now that you mention it, the big D will be one option in the future. I have family there. I'll take that as a good sign!
    CJ-2A vs the Mule (Straightline)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• wpowellwpowell Posts: 125
    drewmeister, I think you are making the right decision to not immediately sell the Jeep. Certainly don't understand your situation well enough to offer specific advice, but I would suggest that you try to not make any immediate, emotional decisions about things like finances, relocation, etc. Its been my experience that a couple of weeks reflection on your new circumstances will change those first knee-jerk thoughts. Conserve cash, tell everyone you know--or have ever known--that you are looking for employment and remind them often. May be tough on your pride, but friends, family and acquaintances are nearly always the best source of career prospects. A lot of advice from someone who just said they have none, sorry!

Mark
  • tyoshutyoshu Posts: 31
    I want to take my doors off but have never done it before. :blush: Any advice? Thanks.

jb
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    You will need a 13 MM boxed end wrench to remove the nut from the bottom of the door hinge pin. I recommend a boxed end wrench, so that you are less likely to scratch your paint due to the slip of the wrench.

If you are worried about the paint on the nut itself, you can put a rag or something over it before putting the wrench on it, but this is not going to be real effective. You can pretty much count on the paint being removed from the corners of the nut.

Once the nut is removed, be sure that the door limiting strap is disconnected and SLOWLY lift the door STRAIGHT up. It may be necessary to work the door back and forth a little as you lift. If you have full doors, they are going to be a lot heavier than you would expect, so don't let the load take you by surprise and cause you to let the door slip. Those exposed threads on the bottom of the hinge pin will take the paint right off the side of your Jeep.

You will need to remove the #4 fuse from the fuse box to keep the interior light from staying on all the time. I believe it is the bottom fuse in the right hand column of fuses.

Good luck.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Thanks Tom. You rock! :D
    One more thing, as I've seen it asked on this board before. The doors simply may not come out if they haven't been removed before. We've solved this with a combination floor jack and 2x4 solution. A short length of board (I notch a V into it) placed between the cup of the floor jack and bottom of a slightly open door will allow you to SLOWLY lift the door out of it's hinge. Going too quickly will bend the bottom of the door or pop the door out too fast to catch. I can do this alone since I've done it a few times, but it's a bit easier having someone to hold the door when the hinge pins get to the top. Then get the jack out of the way and carry the door to the garage or wherever. Oh, really important if you're a detail nut like me, get a couple of folded cardboard boxes or other soft landing to stand the doors on. If you just set them on your concrete garage floor they will get scratched up.
    Final check item, put the windows down first. Seems simple, but if you've never done it before I just wanted to make sure. Tom's right in that the weight will surprise you, as they don't take much effort to open/close, so it doesn't seem that they'd be heavy. The frame makes a natural handle/yoke with the window down.

Does it seem to anyone else that they've become lighter? I remember my YJ doors being REALLY heavy. The TJ doors don't seem quite as bad. Not an empirical measure, just a gut feeling...
    Mark,
    Thanks. That actually does help more than you know. The left side of my brain says you're exactly right and is overriding the right-side of my brain, which is calling to SELL EVERYTHING AND TURN OFF THE CABLE RIGHT NOW AND GET FOODSTAMPS!
    You're right about just breathing for awhile. I've still got a month or two on the clock to help transition job duties, and watching Fun With Dick & Jane a couple of times has helped greatly. I'm going to move on to Office Space tonight, as well as put the bikini top on the LJ and putter around in the sunny weather.
    Thanks again for the post.
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    Ah, Office Space:

Bob Slydell: You see, what we're trying to do is get a feeling for how people spend their time at work so if you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?
    Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
    Bob Slydell: Great.
    Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh - after that I sorta space out for an hour.
    Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
    Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Bob Slydell: I'd like to move us right to Peter Gibbons. We had a chance to meet this young man, and boy that's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over him.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    WD 40 may help .

you are going to lose your side view mirrors too, i use these. in IL you are required to have at least one side view mirror.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11046_99.htm

jeff

like others have said, they are heavy, and if you work them back and forth while lifting they will come off.
  • rross8085rross8085 Posts: 4
    Just got a 2000 with a hardtop and a pavement ends Softtop still in the box. followed the directions for installation and had it installed in an hour. One problem that seems to happen when we open the flip top is that the fabric doesn't stay in the channel at the rounded sides. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did it take to fix it.

Thanks,

Rob
    I've been shopping for soft doors since the first week of warm weather this spring.

I ordered a set today for $319 delivered from Summit Racing, much cheaper than other places I had seen.

Its an expensive way to keep my neighbors cat from sleeping in my Jeep at night!!

jeff
    he traded his 80 something Vet on a YJ. He's thrilled! He says he's not taking it off road, that will change.

jeff
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    What's up with that?

Tidester, Steve... did you guys use your deodorant???

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    and had NO way to get on the net. I wasn't even on land. :)

-Paul
    There were some log-in issues over the weekend, but summer's coming on, the days are long, people are playing hard outdoors. Sometimes it's hard to compete with Mother Nature.

Btw, clogging your pores with nasty chemicals is overrated. But then again, I do work at home. :shades:

Fortunately for you, DigiScents folded, lol.

Steve, Host

• zeistzeist Posts: 8
    Rob,
    I have a 2001 and just bought a Halftop and am experienced the same problem. Being from Buffalo, I have had the top rolled back only once, I probably just have to do more investigating. But anyways, any suggestion would be great. Thanks.
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Buddy's '99 with the 2.5L is idling a little rough. Also this weekend, the engine stalled twice in as many days. 122K on the odometer. Any ideas? Might just be a bad tank of gas but who knows. Changing the plugs this weekend which are overdue but any other thoughts are welcome.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Changing the wires may be a good way to go too. Check the air filter as well. Shooting some carb cleaner down the throttle body helped my engine idle a bit too as it cleaned some stuff off that the air filter kinda missed.

My 97 2.5L has about 110,000 on it and it is running great now.

-Paul
    got a question about my mileage readings...when i push the button on the dash to switch the view from "regular" mileage to the view with the decimal point, the values are off by ~2 miles. anyone else notice this?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    The view with the decimal point reads the trip mileage since it was last reset. It will always vary from the other reading, which is the total vehicle mileage. Most people reset their trip reading when refilling the tank. To do so just hold the button down for more than two seconds when in trip mode.