Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• 1. You get pushed around some on days with heavy winds, but it is not that bad.
    2. I would think a Jeep is a safe vehicle in a snowstorm. You will have 4 wd which will help. It does not snow here so it is hard for me to say. I think the only thing that would would make a jeep unsafe is the driver.
    3. I don't have a 2001, but have heard it does make a big difference.
    Dave
  • I am getting ready to order a 2001 (probably Sahara), as soon as I can decide on a couple of things. Any opinions on the 30" Canyon wheels vs the standard Michelin LT-X tires on the Sahara? And what about that Dana44? What does having it (or not having it) mean in the driving world? I'll be mostly on pavement but I would like to do some offroading (not much terrain in NJ, but who knows where I'll end up?)

Any opnions on cruise control?

Thanks for your thoughts!
  • I would get the Dana44. It should come with track-lok also. I think you will get both of these if you order the 30 inch tire group.
    The Dana 44 is a bigger rear axle, which is good for off-roading and larger tires, and probably good for re-sale value. The track-lok will help you off-roading and in snowy/icy weather.
    Go for the 30 inch tire group.
    I won't ever own a car without cruise control again. If you ever do or plan on doing any long distance driving on the highway I would get it.
    Dave
  • If Jeep goes the way it looks like they are, then they will be turning the Wrangler into a CRV ,Tracker or any of those other wanna-be's . We bought and love Jeeps to be different . Hey DC & Jeep dont do it . Remember the heritage !!! go here and tell DC, what you think http://www.dcanswers.com/
  • I have now owned my '98 Wrangler Sport for 2.5 years and 23,000 miles. This is the second wrangler I've owned (last one was a '94 S). As I just did the end-of-summer hard-for-top swap, I had some thoughts that may be of value for potential Wrangler owners:
    First, this vehicle has been generally trouble-free. The 1st-to-2nd shift is a bit sticky and has not gotten any easier, though it helps to shift at low RPMS. I have had exactly 2 mechanical problems with it that needed to be fixed, both in the past 6 months: the toe-in got knocked out of kilter on the front axle (not covered by warranty, $60 repair) and there was a bad connection behind the dash that was causing my gauges (all of them--speedmeter, tach, etc) to sometimes shut down completely (fixed under warranty in one day). Admittedly, I haven't wracked up serious miles on this vehicle yet, and I am extremely uptight on maintainence (just changed all fluids and filters a few months ago). Overall, it seems a better-constructed vehicle than my last Jeep or a lot of other cars I've owned.
  • silksilk Posts: 4
    Assuming it's the 2002 that's redesigned, which means they'll hit the showrooms a year from now...

It's too late for changes or suggestions, production has probably been finalized, mules and pilot cars already built. If anything they're probably putting in the final touches on trim levels, price points etc...I'm just speculating of course.
  • as a continuation of my above post, these are the thoughts on options that I both did get and should have gotten (I custom ordered my Jeep):
    I-6 VS I-4: thank god for the straight 6. My last Jeep had the 4 and this gets comparable highway mileage, though a little less around town. Well worth the $$.
    TOPS: I bought mine with the hard top since I live in the Northwest but ended up buying an aftermarket soft top (Bestop Sunrider) for summer. It's a good soft top, and about the same as the dual top option, so this is purely a personal preference. With the new quieter soft tops, I'd now go for the dual top option.
    5-SPEED VS AUTO:everyone seems to get abysmal mileage with the auto--no wonder since it has no O/D. I get 16/20 with the 5-speed.
    ABS VS DANA 44: I have ABS, a rare option for Wranglers, but I do a lot of driving on snow in the winter. If I were going to put bigger than 30" tires on it, I'd get the 44, but the 35 is plenty stout enough for me and I like the additional control of ABS on a vehicle that loves to swap ends on ice. Insurance discount too.
    A/C: a necessity. I ended up having it retrofitted with a factory kit this summer.
    SECURITY KEY: I wish I'd gotten this. There is no sense in putting a security system in an open vehicle and this is better than the Club.
    CRUISE: a personal preference. I do fine w/o it.
  • I need a refresh of my mind. Is it possible to have all three of these together on a 1997 Wrangler?
  • I plan to buy a used Jeep. I have found this Jeep:Sahara Edition, usual Sahara options plus full/half doors, hard/soft tops, ABS, trunk, Dana 44, Trac-lock, hitch, CD player, Anti-Lock Brakes, CD Player, Manual Transmission, 31,000 miles, accident free and maintained. The price is $14000. Is this a good deal?
  • jj32jj32 Posts: 2
    I want to order a 2001 Sahara, Manual, 30" Wheels (like the Dana 44). The Dealer told me I cannot get the Trac Loc with the 30". Even though the Dana 44 is included in 30" and if I order the Dana separate it includes the Trac Loc (without the 30"). Anybody know if thats correct? I called Jeep. They couldn´t give me a straight answer. I called DC. Also no straight answer.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    As far as I know, it's always been Dana 44 OR ABS, not both. Trackloc is/was available on the Dana 44 or 35. However, ABS and Trackloc are available with the Dana 35, which is the combination I have.

Can't comment on the price except to say check here at Edmunds, or try Kelly's ( www.kbb.com ).
  • I am anxiously waiting for the arrival of my 2001 Wrangler Sahara. One thing that I will need is a roof rack to carry some kayaks. The only thing that I've been able to find so far is a rack called the "Top Five" from an Internet dealer. Does anyone have any experience with this rack or have any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help.
  • If you order the 30" package, it will come with the dana44. No questions asked. However if you also want rear track lock you have to order it.
    I have a 2001 sport with 30",dana44 and rear track lock.
    So I know for a fact that you can have all 3.

As for the ABS, I don't know for sure.
    Dennis
  • markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    not with Dana44. If you really want ABS, order that and do the www.warn.com heavy duty axle conversion to the stock Dana35. Warn says it is almost as good as the Dann44. I believe them, as their axle's are as beefy as the Dana's stock axles.
  • If I am not mistaken, you COULD get the D44 axle and ABS early on. I think this changed early on with the 2000 models.
  • jj32jj32 Posts: 2
    Do you own an automatic or manual. The Dealer told me with automatic I could have all three. Not with manual.
  • I own a 5 speed. Trust me, I remember when I ordered mine, it was the same thing with my salesman. He was saying that I couln't get rear track lock. YOU CAN!!!

Dennis
  • A friend of mine is looking at a '91 JW with 90k miles on it with a 4 cyl engine. He'd like to know how much would it cost to swap it to a 6 cyl used or new. Is it a drop it in most cases or does it require some converters, other issues etc.
    Thanks for any info
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Posts: 270
    I looked at putting a 6 cyc in my YJ and I don't think it will drop in. I think the easier and less expensive route is buying a 6 cyc Jeep. Maybe someone that has actually done it will respond though.
    Dave
  • jajeepjajeep Posts: 2
    anybody here know where i can get a performance shift knob for a automatic jeep wrangler tj