Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• So far, thru last week, there have been 4314 07' Wranglers built. 734 last week, 1678 this month. I don't know what the "normal" output is expected to be.
  • hypehype Posts: 16
    Help-I want to drain & flush the coolant myself and I cannot locate the engine block drain plug to drain the coolant from the engine block? Is the block drain plug obstructed from top side view of engine? Can someone provide me with a clear path to it-thanks!!!
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    It's a threaded plug with a square recessed socket. You have to access it from below as the exhaust manifold shields it from above. You don't have to jack the vehicle up, just roll under the rear of the drivers side front wheel and look up. Make sure the Jeep is cold before you put your hands up there! ;)
  • hypehype Posts: 16
    mac24:
    thanks so much-that gives me something to go on!
    I should be able to locate it now.
    From what you described-the block drain plug sounds like it is towards the rear of the block-that is-away from the grille/front of the Jeep?
    Correct, it's at the transmission end of the block and low down, closer to the oil pan than the head.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues.

So which forum will I need to hear from mtngal about the Jeep trails that are closed because of the current fires? Or from tsjay about the offroading at Turkey Bay? Or from erickpl about the many repairs he's making after his Wrangler tripped over? Where would I post to let anyone who's interested know about the great deal and service I got when I purchased a recovery strap last week?

I can understand the logic in having two Wrangler forums, one for problems and another for general discussion, but to lose the general discussion and to split the 'problem' forum into 101 separate narrowly focused threads seems to me, to put it politely, counter productive.

One of the things we have here is a sense of community, which will disappear if this general 'Jeep Wrangler' forum is closed.

I will be sorry to lose track of you all.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,555
    Oh, I don't think it'll get quite that specialized -- the feeling is that more new (and those lurking) Jeepers will want to post. Discussions this big (20,000 + posts!) tend to discourage participation and make it harder to find info.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• believebelieve Posts: 74
    Hi everyone!!
    It's been a while I know...I was getting ready to do the
    same with my jeep (change the antifreeze)...I didn't know
    you could do the block on this....I was thinking I would
    have to keep flushing it until it was clean....is there
    anything that I need to do as far as just retightening
    the bolt when done or do I have to use a compound?
    Anyway....thanks for that info!!!
    Lew
    It's hard to flush properly without removing the plug as it's at the lowest point of the block's water gallery. You do need to use a sealant, either a compound or ptfe tape (I prefer tape). As well as sealing the plug, it'll make it easier to remove next time.
    Oh, I don't think it'll get quite that specialized --

With all due respect Steve, that doesn't address my question.

When this forum is closed, where will we go to post non-specific Wrangler related items, i.e. general Jeep chit chat?

Is it the intent for this to become just a Q&A site?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,555
    There'll be the usual Meet the Members type discussions around - of course, for Jeepers, we have Jeep Wrangler Owners: *Wave* & Meet. :shades:

The intent is to make it easier to navigate, not harder. Tracking the Wrangler group should let you find all the threads you want to see without too much pain, and let you find all the, say, lift ideas, without having to skip up and down through all the other posts about CBs, soft-tops, Turkey Bay, etc.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• skyking49skyking49 Posts: 112
    I recently was blessed with a grand-daughter. I want to know if most of the car seats on the market will fit in the back seat of my 06 Wrangler X or do I have to have a specific type?
    TIA
  • I'm considering an 07 Wrangler and I am not sure whether or not to go with a hard or soft top. I live in Northeast Ohio with snowy cold winters so I was thinking that a hard top would be beter for the cold, but the convenience of a soft top is a plus. Any advice?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Get the dual top option and have both.

-Paul
  • brazucabrazuca Posts: 95
    Hi. We recently purchased a '97 Wrangler as an extra car for some fun...and we never expected to be using the Jeep all weekends, my son (2 1/2 Years old) only wants to go out in the Jeep. We have a Britax Marathon car seat which is one of the biggest in the market and it fits nicely. I would like to suggest the Britax brand, you will pay more, but the safety and quality are amazing. You should not have problems in fitting a car seat. Kids and babies really have fun with a Jeep Wrangler. ;)
  • brazucabrazuca Posts: 95
    I'm really afraid we will loose track of the people and the interesting discussions we have here. When I'm looking for a topic, I just type Jeep Wrangler and find these discussions and experiences shared here. Why change what's working so nicely ? If it is not broke, don't fix it.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    First off, the following comments are NOT-repeat-NOT, aimed at you or Steve. That said, there are a couple of other hosts who seem hell-bent on discouraging the participation of the "old guard" members. This current "realignment" of topics appears to be designed to further that goal. It seems to me that new participants should simply learn how to use the search functions if they want answers to specific questions. If I want a one marque message board that offers hundreds of threads on a multitude of topics I've got dozens of other options. Town Hall/Carspace should keep its unique flavor.
  • xthecatxthecat Posts: 30
    Is there any differance in Handling or gas mileage between the two?
    Wheel size has little to do with handling or gas mileage, it's the diameter of the tire that's important. If a manufacturer offers a significantly larger tire as an option, they usually compensate for the increased tire diameter by changing the final drive ration as well.
    I'm really afraid we will loose track of the people and the interesting discussions we have here.

Gosh, I hope that doesn't happen! Someone suggested a "Meet the Members" style topic. :)

tidester, host
    ... participation of the "old guard" members.

Hey, we need you guys and gals!!

tidester, host
    I guess we'll see. How long do we have before this topic becomes "Read Only"?
    Some general topics in some areas have already been closed but I wanted our members to have time (days? weeks??) to make suggestions and set up topics for themselves.

tidester, host
  • believebelieve Posts: 74
    Question////I have both factory tops....Can I install the hard top over the soft top?.....(of course the soft top would be
    in the down position...thanks!!
  • xthecatxthecat Posts: 30
    I thought that an 18 inch wheel (sitting higher?) may affect the roadhandling a bit. But than again, as you mention little to no differance, street / highway driving that is.
  • While I don't post much, I really enjoy reading the posts. I go on a couple of other forums that are organized by topic like you are talking about, and they are harder to follow what people are talking about and doing. As long as there is a good search feature, it is easy to find a specific topic. Please keep this the way it is.
  • I agree with div2 and Mac. I read this board daily though I only post occasionally. I read it because of its "community" flavor, humor, variety, genuine people, and valuable information. If I need info I simply use the search option. The flavor is very unique-lets keep it that way. If something works, (and this works) why change it. Go Easy, John
  • "... Town Hall/Carspace should keep its unique flavor."

Not to beat a dead horse to death, I too am a daily reader of this forum and have only posted rarely. However, when I did, I found that I could get answers to the questions I asked very quickly. I haven't had the same luck in other forums at other websites.

More to the point, much of the reading that I have done has inspired me to inquire about other topics that I got directly from this 'open' forum.

Let's not fix what isn't broken!
  • dnashdnash Posts: 35
    I am already checking 4-5 threads a day. Any more would quickly drive me away. I am interested in most of the discussions pertaining to the Wrangler, but I don't have the time to look through too many threads. It will definitely disconnect the "community".