Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Thank you (all).
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Oh, Baby! Home again!

Tidester, turn up that thermostat a little. You must have had it set for a lower temperature while we were gone.

Did you remember to have the post office resume mail delivery? How about the newspaper? Did you get it started again?

Did you tell the neighbors we're back?

Thanks for listening to your members, Edmunds!

Now, Jeep Buds, let's try to do our part and direct newbies to the proper discussion for their particular problem, if there is an existing discussion on the subject. BUT, while they are here, we can certainly invite them to stick around for general discussions about Jeeps and become part of the family.

I think I can live with that modus operandi, how about the rest of you?

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Glad it's back!!!
  • Thanks, Tidester. Most Excellent.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Now, Jeep Buds, let's try to do our part ...

Thank YOU! :)

tidester, host

P.S. Who's gonna trim the lawn? Looks a bit shaggy.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I will check out these spacers you are talking about. I am intrigued by the "controversy"... What could be so controversial about them? Do they break easily? Are they expensive?

Wheel spacers originally got a bad rep from bad castings and screw-on lug bolt extensions. Good quality ones like those from Spidertrax are fine. One downside of either spacers or a wheel with increased backspacing is that it places a higher load on the wheel bearings and shortens their life. However, spacers will allow you to keep your original wheels.

Either method should alleviate rubbing on the inside of the tire, but you may have problems with fender clearance offroad as the axle articulates. A lift will then be the next logical step.

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Mac, I use those exact same Spidertrax spacers on my Canyon wheels to give me 4.25" of backspacing. You mention that is puts a higher load on the bearings, but how is a 5.5" BS wheel with 1.25" spacer (giving 4.25" BS) any different than the 4.25" BS wheel without a spacer? Many run 4 or even 3.75" BS on their Jeeps, so I'd like to understand just how a spacer will impact the bearings any more than an aftermarket wheel.

Not trying to flame, just understand.

-Paul
  • Sounds good to me. Thanks Tidester and thanks to Edmunds for listening to its members. Some things just don't need to change. This seems to work for everyone. People can be directed to areas of specific interest and some can just hang out . Tom and Mac-have you heard form Mtngal(sp) since the fires in Calif.? Go easy Everyone, John
    Paul:

I'm sure Mac will speak up for himself, but I think he meant that either wheel spacers or lower backspacing in the wheels would put more stress on the bearings.

Tomster
    Tom, that is kinda what I expect. It would be more a function of the BS amount, vs how you got there (assuming you used a decent spacer, like the spidertrax).

No way would you get me using the 'traditional' spacers.

-Paul
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,286
    I'm pretty sure Mtngal posted after the Day Fire was put out, but she has been AWOL for a while now.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

No problem. What I said was "One downside of either spacers or a wheel with increased backspacing is that it places a higher load on the wheel bearings and shortens their life."

A spacer or a different wheel with backspacing equal to the spacer will both increase the load on the bearings by the same amount. Neither is better or worse than the other.
    Ya know. I missed that part entirely. That's what I get for reading early on a Monday. :)

-Paul
    Pics as promised to 'highdesert' over at 'Wave and Meet' the other day.

Like me, both the Jeep and winch are showing their age, however we're all functioning just fine! The only complaint I have with MM is the quality of the plating on the roller fairlead.

This all relates to: "Milemarker do supply a good kit complete with the right fittings and correct length hoses, it's just that they don't supply any instructions on how to lay it out! Duh! I guess I'll have to take some pics. Instead of pointing the hoses to the passenger side, then doubling back and going under the grille, I led them toward the driver's side then along the frame rail and on up into the engine compartment. That way you remove the original HP hose and use both the MM supplied ones. I also mounted the supplied breaker inside the control box, then mounted the control box under the hood to protect it from the elements.

I'll post pics in a day or so over in Jeep Wrangler.
    "
  • Great!!!!!

Thank you.

Terry
    Is your TJ Paint Code PGF? :)

Looks like the same color as mine. :)

-Paul
  • 4rider4rider Posts: 96
    After years of whishing and hoping I have finally got my very first Jeep, a 05 Sport with no mods yet. This is NOT a mall goer for me and I Can't wait to go to a OHV place soon. Some questins I have:

1) I am thinking about adding a hardtop. Is Bestop 2-piece hardtop any good?

2) I have Dana 44 an rear disc brakes. How do I find out whether I have limited split with it or not?

3) Does the stock Ravine wheel have enough backspace clearance for a 32" if I have some sort of lift installed.
    "After years of whishing and hoping I have finally got my very first Jeep, a 05 Sport with no mods yet. This is NOT a mall goer for me and I Can't wait to go to a OHV place soon. Some questins I have:

1) I am thinking about adding a hardtop. Is Bestop 2-piece hardtop any good?

2) I have Dana 44 an rear disc brakes. How do I find out whether I have limited split with it or not?

3) Does the stock Ravine wheel have enough backspace clearance for a 32" if I have some sort of lift installed."

4rider:

Congratulations on your first Jeep! You only THINK you know how much fun they are, but wait til you REALLY see how much fun you can have with one!

I'm glad to hear that you plan to get that puppy out on the trails. Your Jeep will love you for that.

Please, don't feel that you have to go crazy on mods right away. Unless you are going to tackle some EXTREME terrain, you can have lots of fun and go some pretty amazing places with a bone stock Jeep.

I would LOVE to get you out on the trails at Turkey Bay. One of my great pleasures in life is seeing newbies discover the awesome off road capability of their bone stock Jeep.

Your questions...

1. I have no experience with the Bestop 2 piece, but Bestop makes very realiable stuff, and they make the original equipment soft tops for DC (not sure who makes the original equipment hardtop).

2. I think you mean "Limited Slip." I don't know if you purposely sought a Jeep with the Dana 44 rear end, but you are VERY fortunate to have one of those, if you are going to off road much.

There should be some kind of tag on the differential housing, I believe. One way to find out about not only your differential but EVERYTHING about how your Jeep was equipped from the factory, including MUCH more info than even the window sticker would have had, is to order a factory build sheet. Go to post number 18,620, and you will see how to get your build sheet. They are free from DC.

3. Do a search on "backspacing" and you will find all the info you need on the subject.

Welcome to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler, and please stick around and become one of the family.

Tom

P.S. Where do you live? I would be glad to serve as your trail guide, if you could get to Turkey Bay OHV Area in Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area in western KY.
    I believe you have a '97, in which case the green you have was continued into '98, but changed in '99 (my year) just slightly and given a new name. The interior color was changed at that point also, as was the color of both the hard and soft top.

I'll check the code and color names tomorrow.
    To elaborate on what Tom said, he DOES SERIOUSLY enjoy taking new Jeep owners out on the trails. How do I know this? I was one of em. I had a business meeting in Alabama (from California) and made a point to come out early and fly into Nashville. I drove up to Turkey Bay and got to ride with him and Ross Allen in his Thelma Jane. I knew at that point, my TJ was going to be offroaded!

I had the fortunate opportunity to move to Alabama and have enjoyed wheeling with Tom on multiple occasions, though not as often as I'd like. I've seen him take many others under his wing and show em a good time on the trails. He won't let you put yourself into a precarious situation if you're not ready. :)

To address your concerns a bit:
    1. A guy we wheel with has one and is looking to sell it. He lives in TN, and prefers the soft top most of the time. He has zero complaints about it. I've thought about buying one myself, for security and peace of mind.

2. Not sure on the LS. If you plan to offroad, you may end up putting a locker in anyway. IIRC, the only TJ's that had a LS in the back was the Rubicon, whose locker acted as a LS when not engaged. Mac will probably correct me though. :)

3. The Ravine wheel has 5.5" of backspacing and can fit a 31" tire with no problems, with potentially a minor adjustment of the steering stops required (www.4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html). As to whether they 'fit', it depends if you are going to wheel it or not (sounds like you are). Optimally to fit 32's, you'll probably need a minor lift (2" budget boost is VERY popular) and some smaller backspacing (about 4-4.5") to make your wheels stick out a bit more.

You mentioned something about if you have a small lift installed. If you already have that, 32's should probably fit.

Tom, Mac, and I all run the OME lift (Old Man Emu) which provides aftermarket shocks and springs. EXCELLENT ride, both on and offroad. BTW, Tom, how is your lift doing at TB?

As we discussed in previous topics, this smaller backspacing can be achieved via new aftermarket wheels or, if you really love your Ravines (I love my Canyons), you can add SpiderTrax wheel spacers. The smaller backspacing MAY cause more wear on the hub, regardless of choice (wheel or spacer), but on my 97, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary and I've been running them over 1 year now.

-Paul
    IIRC, the only TJ's that had a LS in the back was the Rubicon, whose locker acted as a LS when not engaged. Mac will probably correct me though. :)

You're correct on the description of the Rubicon's locker, but the Trac-Loc limited slip has always been an option on other models, on both the D35 and D44 axles.

Several ways to check. Tag on the diff cover bolt, sticker in the glove box, and with the rear end jacked off the ground and one wheel is rotated the other will rotate in the same direction. If the diff is open then the wheels will rotate in opposite driection.
    The smaller backspacing MAY cause more wear on the hub, regardless of choice (wheel or spacer), but on my 97, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary and I've been running them over 1 year now.

No, the smaller back spacing WILL cause more wear on the hub! :shades:

However, with the wheel bearings likely to last the life of the vehicle, even a 50% increase in wear isn't something to cause immediate concern.
    I have created a discussion in the Jeep Wrangler Forum called "Backspacing and Maximum Tire Width." When folks come here to ask "How wide can I go on tires for my Jeep?" we can refer them to that discussion.

Of course, we welcome them to THIS discussion and ask them to become one of the family. That's a given.

I guess we are going to sort of end up with the something similar to what I proposed many moons ago, when I suggested that we start threads for the most commonly asked questions. Most of you guys at that time feared that to do so would discourage people from coming to this general discussion and becoming part of our family. I could see your point, and I decided that you were most likely right, so I didn't try to create new single-issue forums.

Apparently, Edmunds wants those single-issue discussions, so let's give it a fair chance to work, what do you guys say? Please be sure in put in a plug for this discussion when you create a new discussion or participate in an on-going discussion in the single-issue threads.

Tomster
    Er....... Tom, before you create any more threads could you wait another day or two? Trust me! ;)

P.S. You might check the last few posts over here: Forums Software! Your Questions Answered...
    OK, Macster. I read your "Let's Talk Specifics" message, and you were very articulate in presenting our case. You, along with many others, have gotten the attention of Management, so maybe there is hope for something very close, if not identical, to what we had. Thanks, Mac.

I'll hold off on creating any more new discussions until we see which way things are going to go around here.

Tom
  • Glad to see things may be back to normal here.

I went to the off-road expo this weekend. I guess it is a new event. It is only taking place in three cities this year. I hope they continue it and that it gets bigger and better every year. I forgot my camera so I didn't get any pics.

Off-Road Expo link

Here is a pic of my Jeep after getting in some mud without my doors. I didn't realize it was that muddy where I was going. I did end up stuck and eventually got out. It made me laugh when I had to drive a couple hours home with my Jeep looking like this.
    Thanks for all the warm replies. Really glad to be in the Jeep family. I am in Bay area CA. I'll sure want to check out Turkey bay if I have a chance to visit KY.

The tire rotataion test for LS seems to be very interesting and I'll give it a try over the weekend.

I plan to stay on stock for a few months until I figure out what to do next. Mostly likely a small lift of 2" or 3".

One thing I dont like about the Jeep is the raw plastic color on the fender flares. I am thinking about spray paint them to semi-gloss black.
    4rider:

No personal experience, but many people swear by Krylon Fusion paint for the fender flares. It supposedly bonds real well with the plastic.

Do a search on "Krylon," and you will be able to read for yourself the many posts on the subject.

Tom
  • I read Tom's post suggesting Krylon Fusion paint. I have used it several times with fairly good results. It seems to depend on the surface and of course the prep. The smoother and harder the surface the more difficult it is to get it to bond. Check out the prep instructions for best results. Good Luck, John
    Thanks Tom for the search tip on the Krylon. I did not realize there were quite a few people felt the same way on the color or discolor of the flares.