Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Welcome back! You've been gone so long that you have apparently forgotten your old password which, by the way, you can recover using the "Forgot Password?" link on the sign in page. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • yjohnyjohn Posts: 32
    Looking for a cheap way to lift my YJ up. Thought about just getting some 2" shakles. I also looked a a 4" rough country suspension lift. Anyone have some advice?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Shackles are a cheap way to do it, but the longer the shackle the more likely it is to twist under load.

Rough Country wouldn't be my first choice, but a suspension lift is a much better way to go, though it's not the cut price way to do it.

Perhaps you can say why you want a lift (looks/function/bigger tires etc.).
  • bamatazz1bamatazz1 Posts: 6
    thanx for the welcome back..
    I even have tidster peeking in on my lack of memory..
    And i see Mac is even still around.
    hope everyone is doing well..and of course still hugging their jeeps

BamaTazz
    Terry
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,454
    Still around and still wishing for a plate of BBQ too. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gdh3gdh3 Posts: 28
    What are some thoughts regarding the sale of Chrysler and what it ultimately will bring for Wrangler fans?
    gh
    Yup still here, don't see much of Tom any more, though he could still be lurking.

Mmm, bar...be..cue....ahhhhh. Doh! :shades:
  • stevecebustevecebu Posts: 493
    I started a discussion just for this as I think it's important as they may cut up Jeep and sell it off. That might screw up everything. There will be a lot of uncertainty regarding Jeep for a few years to come. But also there might be better changes as well.
  • akbjwyj40akbjwyj40 Posts: 1
    My jeep has a problem has it struggles to rev over 3000 rpm while under load. can anyone help me?
    Assuming that the ignition system (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil) is all good, and that the alternator is putting out a good charge, a blocked fuel filter or weak fuel pump would be a good place to start.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Heya bama!!! I remember ya and I want some BBQ too!!!

Tom still checks in on occasion, but not nearly like he did. He lost Ross Allen a year and a half ago. He has also gotten a new Jeeping bud, Hank. He has replaced his Procomp lift with an OME lift, and some of us who have been here a while have modded our Jeeps a bit more - some of it intentional, some not! ;)

-Paul
    I just want to get it up in the air, and also clear my tires comfortably. I have an extremely tight budget, so the more expensive suspension lifts are out of my range. I don't like how my 3" body lift looks, but I like the height that it gets me. Lifted Jeeps look much better, but I need to get the best combination of height for the dollar.
    mac, you have any idea where I can find a good deal on a driver side seat track wit the flip forward design? My 97 didn't come with it, but I've thought about swapping it in if I can find one for a decent price.

With all your knowledge of all things Jeep, I thought you might have a clue on something like this...

-Paul
    I would suggest eBay. Keep an eye on this guy. He only has the passenger side at the moment though.
    I've never looked into it, but maybe it can be converted?
    The words 'rock' and 'hard place' spring to mind. :)

Maybe a smaller body lift combined with shackles?

Good appearance, high quality, cheap. You can pair any two except cheap and high quality. ;)
    He does have one, but I thought $65.00 was a bit high for it at this point (trying to do this as for as little $$ as possible).

Oh well. :)

-Paul
    Thanks mac, looks like I've got some thiking and shopping to do :surprise:

And, why would you not recommend the rough country 4"?
  • jimlw2jimlw2 Posts: 122
    Can anyone offer advice on whether you should deactivate the airbags while off-roading in a Wrangler and/or if it's even possible? I assumed a fuse could be pulled but haven't looked through my ower's manual, yet.

I thought of it only after taking my 2005 Unlimited to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Western Michigan overlooking Lake Michigan in April. It was only 20 degrees so sand had blown over sections of frozen snow/ice in areas of shadows formed by the dunes. I had to keep my speed high enough to keep forward motion and sometimes the weight of my Jeep would crush down through the upper crust of sand and my Wrangler would violently pitch-pole through those ice/snow pockets. One notable time I got stuck after what felt like my brain was going to pop out of my head...it was a pretty violent pitch-pole effect where my front bumper had to have impacted multiple times on hard-pack sand/ice/snow in a wrenching fast-stop as I high-centered on spikes of ice/sand. I got out to find myself walking on what looked like upside down ice cream cones anywhere from 12" to 18" long and felt like concrete...very treacherous and I was convinced I'd have under-carriage damage but to Jeep's credit, I couldn't visually find any damage and after over a month of daily driving since that day, she behaves like those episodes never happened. Took her back when weather was more "dune-like"...well, Michigan "dune-like" which was in the 60s/70s...Conditions were much "softer" and far more enjoyable than that first cold blustery attempt to hit the dunes a bit too early.

Anyway, thinking back, I'm amazed the airbags didn't deploy with those forward bumper smacks. Made me realize I better understand how to deactivate the airbags for future off-roading so as not to inadvertently explode $700-$1,500 or more out of my wallet. Granted, most off-roading shouldn't be done with such speed to cause such violent hits to the front bumper but again, with sand dunes, you have to get a good head of steam going to chug up the steep slopes or you're not going to crest the tops...along the way, ruts in the sand can make things a bit choppy.

Forgive me if this has been discussed in past posts...I scanned through about five pages of 'airbag' references in a forum search but didn't see it if it's there.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Hi Peeps!

I'm not sure why I stopped by, but it could be that my ears were burning. I see that I have not been forgotten around here; some folks have asked about me. That makes me feel good.

Bamatazz, I see that you have just checked back in, too. Good to hear from you!

Hello to all of the rest of my old friends here. I have not forgotten you guys.

I still have Thelma Jane, but she has become pretty much just a trail rig. I don't even spray her off after wheelin' any more, and she is showing her many, many miles of wheelin'. She has bent, dented, and scratched fenders, busted flares, and an interior that will never come clean. I hardly ever drive her, except to go to Turkey Bay.

I don't wheel every weekend any more. It's partly due to gas prices, partly due to getting a little burned-out on it, and partly due to not having my Best Bud, Ross Allen, with me any more.

I have my new dog, Hank, or "Henry Louis," as I call him when I am being silly, and he is a blessing to me. He loves to go Jeepin' just about as much as Rossie Pup did. I'm not without a wheelin' buddy, and I enjoy having Hank along with me when I go.

God bless.

Tomster

image">
    Anyway, thinking back, I'm amazed the airbags didn't deploy with those forward bumper smacks. Made me realize I better understand how to deactivate the airbags for future off-roading so as not to inadvertently explode $700-$1,500 or more out of my wallet.

My suggestion would be to focus on your health and well being rather than your wallet. I've never heard of an uncalled for airbag deployment offroad.

Assuming that the description of your violents impact was accurate, consider it a love tap compared to what you would have felt if you'd hit hard enough to ignite the bag.

Bottom line, if your airbag inflates, offroad or on, it's because you need it to save you from injury. If you'd prefer it from the financial perspective, it doesn't take long to run up more than the cost of an airbag in the Emergency Room.

Yes, you can disconnect your airbags, though it's not as simple a pulling a fuse. I think you'd be crazy to do it, so I'll let someone else explain the procedure if they want to.
    She has bent, dented, and scratched fenders, busted flares, and an interior that will never come clean

Guess I need to dig out that 'paper towel' post! ;)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I'm not sure why I stopped by ...

You stopped by because Jeepin' is in your blood and you miss gabbing with your Jeep buds! The obvious solution is to visit more often. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Hey Tom! Good to see you again! That's a happy looking dog.
    Hey Tom, I just checked and it's almost exactly six years since that 'paper towel' post (April '01). Lots of water under under the bridge since then, some good some bad. I know it's been the same for you.

I can't get over how alike Hank is to a dog I used to have. It's uncanny. Anyhow, for those that weren't here six years ago, here's a link to TOM'S PAPER TOWEL POST. Compare it to the one he just made! ;)
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Yeah, Mac, things do change, don't they?

I enjoyed having Thelma Jane in pristine condition, but the fun of getting her out on the trails is well worth the dents and scratches. That's what she was made for.

Hank is a great little dog. I love him a lot, and he makes me a real good Jeepin' buddy.

No matter how much I love Hank, though, I will always miss my Rossie Pup. It was on September 19, 2005, that I said goodbye to him, and over a year and a half later, I still cry over him sometimes. I'm just not the same person without him.

For those who never knew my Puppy, here's a link to the website I made for him.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay53/

Thanks for digging up that "paper towel" post. That is FUNNY! :)

Tomster
  • bamatazz1bamatazz1 Posts: 6
    Good seeing ya again Tom, Ive very soory to hear about Ross Allen, knew how specail he was to you.
    Wow, is that Thelma Jane.. looks like a work horse now all the bumps & brusies. Tazz is still in great shape.
    Having some problems with fading on the hood. Im about to get that all fixed.
    Last year my wife backed into Tazz, backing out of the garage. Bent the fender flares & broke the fog lights. But got that all fixed too.
    Im still to my word..Tazz has never seen mud. Gets a bath every saturday.
    Not many upgrades. I am running 31" All Terrian tires now.
    And installed a new $1200 stereo..Im rockin now.
    I was offered $15,000 for Tazz few months ago..said no way..its all mine. Had him 6 years next month only have 57000 miles on him as of today.

I'll try to get pics posted soon
    Keep Jeepin
    Bama
    Thanks for your usual cut-to-the-bone answer, Mac. Your posts often make me go "oh yeah, stupid" (meaning myself in the stupid reference that is). I'm actually more than happy to leave the airbags up and ready in hopes they'll never be needed. Just hit me that maybe I was missing some "newbie" mistake by NOT deactivating them when off-roading. A coworker of mine who frequents the dunes more than I do implied "newbies" often forget to pull those airbag fuses. I suspected that might not be the safest idea which is why I posted here to get another perspective...coming from you, I'll live with the chance I might have to dole out repair money for deployed airbags...Noting I said "live" since loss of airbag deployed or the entire Jeep as a loss for that matter if it means I might be around to try again. Thanks for priority check.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,454
    Check out CarSpace - it's a good place to park your Tazz pics and you already have the user name/password you need to set it up.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hi Tom - Good to hear from our own home-grown Jeep Wrangler Ambassador himself. Your new pup seems to like the mud splatters as his badges of honor. I hear you on the fuel prices these days. I'm still finding ways to rationalize the added expense of my Wrangler as my daily driver. I used to say "well, some guys own a motorcycle and a car" as my argument for owning-operating my fuel-inefficient Wrangler since I'm not spending insurance and maintenance to keep both a car and a motorcycle. Now that we're breaching $3.50/gallon, I think I may need to modify my rationalizing to include a boat in addition to the car and a motorcycle. If we hit the $4.00/gallon mark, it's time to pull the RV card to include in the list of things that make driving a Wrangler daily still a viable method of transportion...at least in my twisted mind. ;)
    Thanks for priority check.

You're welcome. I probably wrote that response in stronger terms than I usually would, and I'm glad you saw where I was coming from and didn't take it personally. :)