Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Depends how deep you want to get into it really. Timken is a long established manufacturer that used to be 'all american'. Many things have changed in recent years, though that doesn't necessarily mean for the worse.

Personally, I'd opt for the cheapest and check it more often than you have been doing. That will give you a benchmark to decide what to do when your other one goes (and trying to keep out of mud and water will help too!).
    While I think of it, try and straighten that tie rod before you have the toe-in reset. It's much easier for it to carry on bending if it already has a bend in it.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I will get the tie rod as straight as possible before they set the toe-in.

Feel free to expound more on that part number/price issue. You think the VERY SAME part can be had for about a third of the list price of OEM?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    The cheaper replacement will be a 'pattern' part. It probably won't come from the original supplier to DC, but it will be a dimensionally correct copy. The bearings in it could come from a variety manufacturers, whether you use an OEM or pattern part. It's just unfortunate that you can't easily change the bearings alone.

On the bright side, the front bearings usually last a lifetime unless you contaminate them.

3.5 RE Suspension Lift
    1 inch BL
    Shrockworks Rocksliders
    33x10.5x15 BFG ATs
    NICE!

That puppy sure looks GOOD! And, she looks like she is READY FOR TURKEY BAY!

So, when you gonna bring her down here????

Tom

• Too bad. It was great in the 70's. I went to stay with several longhaired friends in Laguna Beach in 73. We were re-building a trimaran that sank off Mexico. My friends thought they were going to make it to Hawaii. These were the old hippie days. Using nails instead of screws:). I then went to Balboa Island to stay with other friends from the East Coast and that was getting very crowded but alot of fun. Then I headed to Hemet (sp?) and to Idlewild and it was great. Dogs ran free, the air was clean, I was very single, few people and ideal for a Jeep. I would not recognize the places but they probably would not recognize me either. But I still have an adventureous spirit- me and my Jeep of course. John
    The hair may be gone, and the times may have changed, but your Jeep would be instantly recognisable to anyone from the 70's. The only others in current production that I can think of would be the Mini and the Beetle.

:--)
  • I'll be down,,won't be before christmas, but I will be down. Nicole doesn't do headstands, so lets stay away from Mess in My Pants Gulch.

jts
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    John - when was the last time you were out here? You wouldn't recognize any of the beach towns, or for that matter, most of SoCal. You would probably feel right at home around Frazier Park - it is one of the few areas that hasn't changed much over the years.

While it wasn't much of a test, GiGi handled the snow covered streets of my subdivision this afternoon. There's about an inch or 2 of snow here and it is SO beautiful! The road didn't seem icy at all, just a little snow covered, so there was good traction. She didn't even wiggle her tail at the spot that is often icy. It'll be interesting to see what conditions are like tomorrow morning, though.
  • I was in Newport Beach about 8 years ago. Very built up!!!! I have an old friend who bought a house on the beach in 68 for $70000. We laughed at him at the time. I was in Vermont Friday and Saturday staying with friends in Felchville, pop.600. It was lightly snowing and then became crystal clear at night. Beautiful. You could smell the wood burning stoves and hear no noise and it was completely dark. Roads were slick but no problem. Just drove slow. It made me wish I had the soft top on. I would have put it down, heater full blast, driving slow on those old roads and had even more fun. But I had the hard top and still had fun. Then I drove across Vermont (Sat AM @ sunrise thru New Hampshire) to Cape Cod. Went to Coast Guard Beach for a few hours and returned to Connecticut. About 14 wandering hours in the Jeep and I had a good time. The first snow is exciting-at least it is in Vermont. Have Fun-John
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    What would be a good basic winch that could handle a TJ in a place like Turkey Bay? I could opt for the 9.5ti from Warn, or I could be more practical and get something perhaps not as feature-laden. I was thinking about the 8000 or 9000i.

I notice Warn has to housing types. One has everything in a nicely shaped housing. The other has a separate box-like thing. What's the difference between the two?

Also, what kind of line and what kind of fairlead would ya recommend?

-Paul
    Hi Jeep Buds! Thought I would update you guys on my wheel bearing issue.

I have canceled my order at the Jeep dealer and ordered one at NAPA. I can get it for $139.95 instead of $225!!!

The NAPA part has a lifetime warranty, so how can I go wrong?

Thanks, Mac, for you input!

Tom

Paul:

How many winches do you want to buy in the next 15 years or so?

I bought the 9.5 Ti not because I needed 9500 lbs capacity, but because it is so well sealed against moisture and so well constructed that it should last a lifetime. It was reliability that I was after.

I figured I might as well spend the bucks for a good one and then be done with it.

Tom

Tom, I understand that. What about the 9.5ti housing sets it apart from even lesser Warns like the 8000i or 9000i?

I think the 9.5 has better water protection, but how 'bad' in comparison are the other models?

-Paul
    Sorry, Pal, but someone else will have to answer your technical questions. The 9.5 Ti is the only winch I have ever owned, so it's the only one I have experience with.

I went by what was being said in Jeep message boards and by what little understanding I had about the differences.

I'm sure an 8000 would be a good winch too, and it would probably last a long time also.

You could go to Warn's website and read about the different models.

I just liked the looks of the 9.5 Ti, it was the "latest and greatest" model at the time of my purchase, and it was getting rave reviews.

I did like that thermal indicator feature that warns you when to stop pulling before you burn up the motor. Not having any prior experience with winches, I just thought it sounded like a good feature to have. I mean, come on, shouldn't a Warn winch "warn" you???? :)

Tom

I agree. I'd LOVE to have the latest and greatest, but the L&G habit gets really pricey, esp for stuff like that and electronics.

So in respect for my other half, I want to add it, but keep the expense such that it won't blow her away when I get a winch. Tough for me to justify the higher price winch right now. I guess I need to get edjamakated before I decide anything!

-Paul
    Don't you know the wife is gonna get mad no matter what ya do, so you might as well do what you WANT to do! Geez, can't I teach you ANYTHING???

Tom

but I want to minimize that nonetheless. :)

-Paul
  • Anyone have advice on buying a replacement lens for for spare-tire carrier brake light? Local dealer tells me lens is not sold separately and insists I must buy an entire assembly for $163.00. Jeep is an '01 TJ. Thanks!