Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• moharamohara Posts: 16
    paul, thanks for the suggestion. i cant find the website you mention though...
  • jc45jc45 Posts: 5
    Hi ! Unfortunately for economic reason I need to sale my Jeep Sahara 2000 where is the best way to do it, on the road or online like Edmunds, Ebay or Autotrader.any tips or suggestions. thanks !
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,194
    Edmunds partners with AutoTrader and that gives you a bigger market and buyers are able to narrow it down by zip code.

But I think I'd try craigslist.com too and say "local buyers only" in the ad to try to avoid any complications from selling to someone not in the area.

For a Jeep, I think a sign in the window could work good too. Maybe park it on top of a rock in a parking lot. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Keep in mind, if you are selling the Jeep just to buy/finance another vehicle, you really need to do a cost analysis to see if the cost of the gas you're saving outweighs the monthly payment + insurance + interest for whatever you buy.

If you are buying another vehicle outright and not financing, you may come out ahead. Otherwise, you may not realize the savings you're expecting.

-Paul
    Thank you very much, very helpful.!!! :)
    I love my Jeep... but I just need to increase my discretionary income, save $ in insurance,gas and maintenance will give me some extra money to cover others things. I just using my Sahara on weekends for fun... but anyway thank you for your advise.

JC :)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,194
    Paul reminds me of another point that doesn't affect you, but someone else trading cars and reading this may find that they can do better on sales tax savings by going through a dealer in some states.

Stop in again in a few years JC when you get your next Jeep (it's a Jeep thang). :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    What's the matter with everyone? No posting going on around here.

Hey, as long as I am posting, here's a question for everyone: can a vehicle be insured for a maximum number of miles per year, with the rates being MUCH lower for very low mileage limits? That can be done with antique cars, I know, but can it be done for ANY vehice?

I only put about 2000 miles per year on Thelma Jane nowadays. I only drive her when I am going to go "wheelin' " down at KY Lake, and she sits in the garage the rest of the time.

This might be something some of you Jeep buds might want to consider, if it can be done.

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    Tom,

Many insurance companies have a low mileage rate. You should check with yours.

Keep hanging around. this thread doesn't get as many posts mas it used to. I see a lot of posts on the '97 to '06 maintenance thread where you can offer a lot (along with Paul and Martin).
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I only put about 2000 miles per year on Thelma Jane nowadays.

That should qualify you for a low mileage discount! I had checked that out once a very long time ago. I don't remember the exact figures but it was far less than average of 12,000 or miles the average person puts on a car each year and it was certainly greater than 2,000 miles. Of course, that is subject to change since I last checked.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Tom, I'm still here. Just not posting as much. Many posts seem to be about issues that I can't really answer w/o sounding dumb or flat out giving wrong advice. :) I miss the just random things we'd discuss here that were Jeep-related.

Haven't heard much of you going to TB lately. I know my wife and I would love to go wheeling with ya some time, perhaps in a small group with you, Hank, Jim M., and a few others. Things have definitely changed a bit.

-Paul
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I look in here (the original Jeep Wrangler forum) quite often, and occasionally on the many other new ones, though I rarely post now.
    I have to admit that most of my 'chat' time is now taken up on a very active H1 forum. :blush:
  • shamokinshamokin Posts: 2
    2000 Wrangler; 50,000 miles on it.

Was rear ended a year ago. Damage repaired. However, I noticed the brake light was non fuctional. I returned to the shop that repaired the damage. They got the light working. They advised that, if the problem happens again, I was to make sure that the two pins in the door were extended and in contact with the two pins in the frame. When the light became non-functional, I pulled the pins out of the frame and inserted a test light as a probe. It feels like there is nothing in these holes.

My question: is there a switch or something that may have not been attached properly when the vehicle was repaired that may have become disconnected from the frame? How does one get behind to reattach? From under the vehicle or in back of the paneling?

The bulb and fuse for the circuit are functional.
    No switch... just button connectors. Should have 2 on your TJ tailgate contacting 2 button-looking things on the tub. if you hvae nothing there, they may have fallen out, though I'm not sure how - they are pulled out in the direction of the tailgate...

-Paul
  • shamokinshamokin Posts: 2
    Button connectors are there, and you can pull them out. How do the buttons on the tub get their power? Tester does not light, and, when the buttons are removed, there does not appear to be any electrical connections.

BTW, thanks for your help on this one.
    Terry and All:

State Farm has a policy with a 7500 mile maximum annual usage on the vehicle that saves me $60 per six month premium. I switched to that policy for Thelma Jane, since I can very easily stay below 7500 miles per year on her.

Saving $120 per year on insurance for one vehicle isn't huge, but it's better than a stick in the eye, right?

Tom
    There's your problem. Those buttons get power via wiring behind the passenger rear tail light. 2 wires feed those buttons. My guess is that they got cut somehow. You can remove the trim piece at the bottom (plastic 'bolts') and reach up there and connect em. You may need to expose some wire and reattach em.

I deactivated mine when I did LED tail lights and put my 3rd taillight on a swingaway tire carrier. But I left the buttons and such in place.

-Paul
  • I have a 2000 tj with a 4.0 I6, automatic. Can I remove all the electronics and put a carb and distributor on it. I want to run propane in it. If so what HEI can I used and do I have to do anything to the transmission.Thanks Gary
    Yes, it could be done, though I'm not sure why you want to complicate things by replacing the ignition and injection components.
    Propane injection is relatively simple and can be done through the throttle body.
    I suggest you do a little research on propane conversion manufacturers, though I'm not aware of a kit specifically for the 4.0 I6. Most conversion kits are fairly generic though.

To answer your original question, the I6 is virtually unchanged from when it used to have a carb as standard. The carb didn't work well though, and a kit to add fuel injection was a popular conversion (and is still available today). So yes, a carb and distributor is a simple swap from an earlier model.
  • Hi Tom.You remember me as Chief. (you know, the Navy guy) Glad to see you n Hank are doing well. I'm driving a 07 X now. Love it. Happy wheelin'
    Chief
    Sure I remember you, Chief. You were so kind to me when I lost my Rossie Pup.

Glad you have that new Jeep.

Stick around.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • They are fixing mine today. 06 wrangler X with 16,00 mi. They just replaced severely warped rotors and metal to metal brakes. The Shimmy is under warranty so no charge. 364.00 for the rotors and brakes.
  • I need new tires for my Wrangler and I'm looking for info. I've had good luck with my Goodyear MT/Rs, but am always up to try a new tire. Now that the BFGoodrich KM2s have been around a while, anyone have experience with them?
    Trying to decide whether to get another set of the MT/Rs or try out the KM2s (a little more expensive).
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • Yup. She's five years old and I feel it's time to sell. So... I took her to Car Max for a first appraisal just to get a ballpark figure.

She's a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport. 60K miles. Great condition. Loaded w/ options. I know you'd need more detailed info, but...

Looking on KBB and eBay, I figured she's worth at the high water mark $15K. Probably less.

But Car Max came back w/ an estimate of $8500. Which I find to be criminally low.

Reactions?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Looking on KBB and eBay, I figured she's worth at the high water mark $15K. Probably less.
    But Car Max came back w/ an estimate of $8500. Which I find to be criminally low.

A quick scan of the completed listings on eBay shows that over the last couple of weeks only around 10% of the 100+ '04s actually sold, with prices averaging around $10-$12K.

There's nothing criminal about the Carmax offer. Why would they pay you more than they could buy one for at the 'dealer only' auctions? However, you now know the price you can get if you want a hassle free instant sale with no effort on your part.

If you want a shot at a better price you need to sell it yourself, and you need to invest the time and money to make that happen. Detailing, servicing, maybe putting a warranty on it, will all give you the best chance of a good result.

There's never been a better time to be a car buyer in recent years, nor a worse time to be a seller. The current economy and gas prices have seen to that.
    Everyone thinks that their vehicle is worth more than it actually is, and an '04 Sport with 60K isn't exactly a rare commodity, even if it is loaded and in great condition.

If you can make yours more attractive than comparable ones I'd say $10-$11K would be a reasonable expectation.
  • Thanks, as always.
  • I just got back from the dealer who charged me $300 to install a new O2 oxygen sensor in my '05 Wrangler inline 6 cyl. He said this caused the engine light to come on, (P2096 message). They said it was a 2 1/2 hour job. Does this sound reasonable or did I get ripped off?

Thanks for you advice