Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Thanks, Tom...always good to hear from you. I will figure out the Photobucket situation and send some photos. I'll listen to your advice on the tire pressure, but I do like a very stiff ride. The guy at the shop is a CO off-road junkie and runs 33 in the same tire. Too much and cause wear in the middle?? :D
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Well, the width of the rims is a factor in determining the ideal pressure, and you are running 8" rims like I am (your Canyons are 8"), so I would say the same pressure should work.

Your Jeep being a four banger and having a soft top would be lighter than Thelma Jane, so you could even go a little lower on pressure maybe.

Do that footprint test, if you want to really zero in on the sweet spot.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Some how and some way I just got a bulletin from DC via the internet indicating that if I buy before May 2 I can take another $500 off the $1000 and $750. Since I already bought the Jeep last Saturday, I went back to the dealership and they are going to process the e-mail account number and send me a check for the $500. All I know I did to deserve this was go on to the Jeep.com site or ask for a price from the dealership via e-mail...bingo, there it was last night. Worth looking into...$500 is $500...just paid for my new tires!! Good luck...... :D
    Keith:

Yes, overinflated tires bulge too much in cross section, and this puts only the center portion of the tread in contact with the road. This is not a good thing. It not only wears out the tire quicker, but it puts less "rubber on the road," which means less grip. This can cause you to spin out when you might otherwise stay in control in an emergency swerve, especially when traction is marginal anyway, like on wet roads.

There really is only one acceptable range for a given tire on a given vehicle, and the air pressure should not be adjusted for ride quality. I was just saying earlier that overinflated tires make for a harsher ride, but that is the LEAST of the problems an overinflated tire can cause. Get a different type of tire with a stiffer or a softer side wall, if you want a stiffer or a softer ride, or get different shocks, but you shouldn't adjust tire pressure for ride quality. The tire pressure should be adjusted for the optimum contact of the tread with the road, i.e. EVEN contact all the way across the width of the tread.

Hurry up and post a pic of the Unlimited!!!

Tom

Some how and some way I just got a bulletin from DC via the internet indicating that if I buy before May 2 I can take another $500 off the $1000 and $750. Since I already bought the Jeep last Saturday, I went back to the dealership and they are going to process the e-mail account number and send me a check for the $500. All I know I did to deserve this was go on to the Jeep.com site or ask for a price from the dealership via e-mail...bingo, there it was last night. Worth looking into...$500 is $500...just paid for my new tires!! Good luck......

Wow! That is super, Keith! I'm happy for ya, Dude!

Tom

• 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    Thanks Tom and Mac!

Tom, I'll check the discussion on the GL-4/5.
    I would probably leave that to the Pros though.

Mac, I have a 5 speed manual.
    I did change the serpentine belt, but I think it loosened up.
    It's been chirping on cold starts.
    I figured it was about time for plugs/cap/wires.

-Dan
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    If it's a manual make sure to use GL3 and unlike an auto, there's no filter.

Serpentine belts need to be pretty tight, you should just be able to turn it 90º with your finger and thumb, much tighter than a regular fan belt.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I looked back and found the post that twylie posted (back in 2003) to find the link to the site that had the directions. Unfortunately, the link no longer works. I had thought that it was only some 98s that were affected (there was a TSB on it, if that helps you). Basically, you take apart the front of the dash (little more than removing a couple of screws) and remove the instrument cluster (all one piece). There are all kinds of contacts on the back that we just tweeked a bit so that they made proper contact with their receptacles in the dash (you could see which ones weren't making proper contact). Then put it all back together again. I've had no problems since.
    I thought you'd take that one mtngal. I don't know if you did it or not, but it's a good idea to squirt a little dielectric grease in the receptacles before plugging the pins back in.

I think you could also have mentioned how long you put it off for, thinking it would be difficult, then how easy it turned out to be when you finally fixed it!

:--)
  • Thanks I will give that a try. I too thought it would be something difficult.

Do any of you guys know anything about towing a jeep on the highway. I am going to camp jeep this year and my jeep will only go about 60mph on the highway. Probably slower with all my junk in it. So I was thinking of towing it with my truck. Will that hurt the drive line on my Jeep?
    Steve
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Mac's right - I forgot about using the dielectric grease. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I used it and I haven't had any problems since then. He's also right about how long I put up with it - at least a couple of years. And I agonized over doing it because I'm not exactly a mechanical person. If you look way back (like 2003) you'll see my total delight when I finally did something about it.

I've never towed mine, but it sounds like an easy thing to do. Do you have an owners manual? If so, there are directions in there for towing both the automatic and the manual (which tranny do you have?). While I read the instructions, I didn't pay that much attention to them. I vaguely remember you need to have the transfer case in neutral. If you want more info, let me know which tranny you have and I'll look at my owners manual tonight.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Posts: 252
    Tom, you will love this question because I know you hate the tire. I am still running the original GSA'S (at least for another 3 months) and I am curious as to your recommendation for tire pressure. Taking a road trip in the Jeep next week . Should be interesting. From Connecticut to Toronto. My wifes sister lives in Toronto and she wants to take the Jeep (her 1st major trip in a Jeep) and she has offered to pay for the gas. I am sure she will be surprised when she keeps opening her wallet. Rosie LOVES gas and my wife is under the impression that Rosie gets excellent milage. I wonder where she heard that information?:) Hope all is well. Give Ross Allen a hug for me. Go Easy, John
    John:

If you are running the original equipment factory tires, then I would just go by the factory recommended tire pressure. I think they give that info on the door or somewhere, right?

Didn't Mac or someone say that 29 psi is what DC recommends?

Tom

• embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    I know we were discussing Jeep security not too long ago. For those in the buying phase, it's easy to overlook getting a locking gas cap. Totally worth it to me. If anyone wanted to dump sand or sugar in the tank, that would pretty much be the ball game. Sadly, it occurs to me that the engine compartment is woefully unprotected. Anybody can pop it open from the outside. I wonder if someone makes a locking device; if not maybe we can invent one and use the proceeds to buy Tom a cable modem! But still, Jeep security is an uphill battle. Locked my keys in the Wrangler the other day. Call AAA? Nope. Just a zip here and a zip there and I was in. Been thinking about a motion alarm with an interior sensor, but at a certain point it gets ridiculous and you just take your chances (and pay for really good insurance).

-Mike
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    one version goes over the side clips. Another prohibits the releasing the latch under the hood. The keyhole for the second one sticks between the grille slots. This the method I'll probably use when I add it.

-Paul
    John:

I just went and looked inside the door opening next to the dash on Thelma Jane's drivers side and found the tag with the recommended tire pressure. They didn't even list the proper tire. They show that the pressure should be 33 psi for the 215/75R15 tire on 15 x 7 rims. I guess that is the small tire that people get who do not get the 30" tire package.

Thelma Jane came from the factory with 30" x 9.5" GSA tires, and the rims were 15 x 8 Canyon style, not 15 x 7 like the tag said.

So, there was no factory recommended pressure for my Jeep. :confuse:

I think you should be OK at 30 to 33 lbs, but you can do that footprint test, if you want to try it.

Just for the heck of it, what does the sidewall of the tire show for maximum load and maximum pressure????

Tom

"So, there was no factory recommended pressure for my Jeep?"

Ahem....................I think you'll find it clearly printed in your Owners Manual!
    and it just refers to that tag. It says the tag is on the rear facing edge of the drivers door or something to that effect. But, the tag that I found is on the forward edge of the body where the drivers door opens, close to the dash.

So, what's the deal? How would a guy who got the 30" tire package know what pressure to use?

Tom

• 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    I too have been putting off fixing the flaky gauge connector issue.
    I've slapped the top of the dash for the last time :) I'm going to fix it this weekend! :surprise:

-Dan