Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Chuck:

See post #15626 for a little explanation of lockers.

Thanks, Mac, for your post #15627 where you put some key words in the title to make my post easier to find.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Tom and Mac,

That was a great explanation of limited slip vs. lockers. In reading this, it appears that the Rubi is the way for me to go, unless I intend to spend the extra money to do the same thing in the aftermarket on the Sport or X.

So... If I understand correctly, the Rubi in 4wd will be limited slip UNLESS you engage the lockers. Is this correct? That would indicate in sand or show, it would work like the Sport (ie: limited slip) but in 4wd-lo, the lockers would be engaged???

BTW - Our place in just outside of Hendersonville; the backside of Chimney Rock!

Thanks!

Chuck
  • Thanks for the advice, Tom...I am not qualified to do the work, so that pretty much takes care of the "willing" part...I'm trying to see if I can get a handle on just what it will need right away, then decide whether to grab it for a cheap price or move on to something else.

Jim
    Chuck:

You don't automatically even get limited slip with the Sport. It is an option, and it is called "Trac Loc." The front end is an open differential with no option for any kind of traction device on the Sport. The rear axle that is standard on a Sport is the Dana 35, and you have to order the Dana 44 as an option. The best way to get the Dana 44 in the rear is to get the AAS package, which gets you the 30" tires, gas shocks, the really good looking Ravine wheels, 3.73 gears, and the Dana 44. You would STILL have to order Trac Loc as a separate option, if you want limited slip. The standard axle is open (no limited slip/no locker) on a Sport.

As far as adding the features necessary to make a Sport equal to a Rubicon, it would take three or four times the difference in the cost between the two in order to do it. At least that much. The Rubicon is a SUPER BARGAIN.

On a Rubicon, the rear axle is limited slip until the locker is turned on, and then it becomes a fully locked differential.

Getcha one!

Tom

Jim:

You are most welcome.

If there is any way for you to spend around $7K, you could get yourself a TJ (1997 or up). TJ's have coil springs all the way around instead of leaf springs. This makes them much more capable in stock condition for off roading compared to a stock YJ or a stock CJ. Also, you get a much better ride with the coil springs. So, even if you don't plan to offroad, there is an advantage to the TJ.

Tom

Just called my salesman from four years ago when I bought Thelma Jane, and he says no cut off date has been announced yet for Wranglers.

He says you'd better be getting your order in before long, though. He said normally it would be May 15th or around that time for cut off. It depends to a large extent, I guess, as to how many orders they have. As soon as they have enough orders to get them to their summer shutdown, that's it.

Tom

• I understand the expansion in the sun...these are tightly sealed cans with no breathers which are being sold and used by 4X4 shops and are used by the military on their Jeeps and other vehicles. (Can't imagine the military taking these things off all the time in the sun) I guess the questions would be how much will the gas expand if the cans are only filled to about 90% capacity and what is the danger except when trying to open one with all that pressure...could certainly let them cool down via driving. Hiding them and burying them is an option always. I just keep getting the answer at shops "never had that question, just leave them on in the sun" and I know gas expands greatly in high temperatures like 105 in Utah.
  • I suppose you can call me a newbie also. I have owned and enjoyed my 2000 Wrangler Sport for 5 years and have been intrigued with the improved ride quality and storage space on the Unlimiteds. Got the "itch" about 2 months ago but simply could not find an Unlimited with the right equipment and color anywhere up down the East coast. I searched probably 200 dealer's inventory through Jeep.com to no avail. I wanted a lt. khaki or white Unlimited with auto trans (so my wife would also enjoy driving), hardtop, cruise, 7 speaker upgrade and security group. Just about every Jeep found was missing one of these deal breakers.

Finally found 2 possible candidates on the web on Friday in Chantilly, VA (1 white Unlimited with right equipment and a Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition) on Fair Oaks Chrysler-Jeep's website. Loaded up the wife and away we went early Saturday morning for the 350 mile round trip. Upon arrival, the white Unlimited was gone already and sitting at the front door was the khaki Unlimitied Rubicon Sahara. Looks exactly like the one on Jeeps website. It was love at first site but @$32,600 MSRP it was a hard swallow. Oh well, got the keys, opened the door for the new vehicle smell, and others started gathering around. Took out for the test drive. I was impressed with the machine....really impressed. It was equipped right, color right and looks just like the one on Jeeps website.

Salesman was not pushy and asked how I liked it. I basically told him that if they could make the numbers work, they could mark it sold. I knew better than cloud the waters with a trade. You just aren't going to get your best deal when a trade is involved. Bottom line is they sold the Rubicon Sahara to me for 1% below invoice and deducted $2,250 in rebates. Although still much more $ than I originally planned on spending on a whim, I am the happy owner of another awesome Jeep....at 54 yrs old. Wife loves it too. Our driveway now looks like a Jeep convention. 2005 Rubi Sahara, 2002 Liberty Ltd and 2000 Wrangler Sport loaded ...now for sale.

Advise.....the itch is hard to overcome for Jeep lovers because my Sport is still like new with only 26,000 miles. Did I really buy another one? Someone please tell this ol' fart that I am not stupid or ready for the home yet. :) Hey Tom, got 3 of these puppies to hug today.

Harlan in Maryland
  • embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    Camp Jeep '05 at Harlan's Place!!!

No one here's going to tell you to check into the home. Sounds like you got an awesome deal, so how can you possibly go wrong? Just make sure you leave enough room in the driveway for a Jeep Rescue if they ever build it.

Happy Jeeping (and Jeeping and Jeeping).

-Mike
  • believebelieve Posts: 74
    Ok Harlan,,,someone has to ask this ....how much for the 2000 and what color
    ///yeah ..color is important.....and congrats on the new one....
    Lew
    Lancaster, Pa
    our we allowed to do this on this site? tooo late! :P
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Posts: 252
    Thanks for the reply Tom and Mac. I figured that would be the response. I am currently running 28" and may stay with that but move from the GSA's to something else without the raised white lettering.I hate to lose ANY power. I will probably keep talking to other Jeepers I meet and see if any are running bigger tires with the 3.07 and listen to what they have to say. I have printed out your response Tom for any future decision I may make. I appreciate the time and effort on your part to explain the ups and downs of any changes. Welcome to all the new Jeeps folks. This is a great forum with useable information from honest and enthusiastic people. A rarity nowadays. Have Fun & Go Easy. John
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    Tom, Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it alot, Im not very mechanically inclinded.

Mac, not sure which service schedule..i just drive...change oil every 3000 miles..etc i currently have 36K miles on tazz right now, and its a automatic tranny. Had tazz for 4 years in June.

Thanks,
    Bama
    The coolant thing and the tranny fluid change are biggies, if they have not yet been done.

You will prolong the life of that auto tranny by having the fluid changed about every 30K miles. Mac? Agree or not?

Tom

CONGRATS, HARLAN!

You are a man after my own heart! You are totally awesome!

Best of luck with that puppy and best of luck in selling that 00. Sounds like it would make someone a fine Jeep, with only 26K miles on it.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep(s) today? :)
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Ok, if you check the schedule in your Owners Manual you'll see that you've missed several items already. Even on the A schedule you should have had the suspension and steering greased (several times), transmission fluid and filter changed, spark plugs and more.

So, the details are in your manual, but basically:

All fluids (coolant, diffs, transmission, t/case, engine), and all (air,
    oil, transmission) filters. It's not in the manual, but I also like to change the brake fluid at least every three years or 30K.

Have the transmission adjusted while the pan is off for the fluid and filter change.

New spark plugs.

Inspect belt, hoses, steering and suspension linkages, brakes etc.

Now you're out of warranty it's important to keep on top of the servicing...................pay now, or pay more later!
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    "You will prolong the life of that auto tranny by having the fluid changed about every 30K miles. Mac? Agree or not?"

Absolutely. While I think of it, how deep did the hubs and axles get when you were playing at the strip mine?
    Not terribly deep, Mac.

I changed the front diff oil tonight. It has been looking pretty dark and kind of a bluish grey color, so I changed it tonight. I used Mobil 1 75W90, which was what I put in there last time (when the LockRight was installed a little over a year ago).

I will have the tranny and t-case fluids changed soon, and will do the rear diff myself.

Tom

• wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    John, I have a 2000 TJ, 4.0, 3 speed auto with 3.07 rear end. I replaced the 28" tires with 30". I did notice a little drop in acceleration, not enough to take away from the better look of the bigger tires. It is not a hot rod, but heck, it is a Jeep.

Terry
  • Thanks for the advice mac. The weird thing is, is that I can go out to my Jeep, as I'm actually getting ready to do, and turn the key into the on position...and I know, by the time I am ready to leave, 10-15 minutes, that it will be ready to go...once the relay finally stops clicking (I'm assuming this is the breaker kicking on and off or attempting to come on over and over again) it's fine...it will start right up....