Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• jrjeepjrjeep Posts: 5
    My jeep is one step closer to Germany. I called the automated # (thanks twylie)! It is in "G" trim status. I'm pretty darn excited right now.:) now everyone say a prayer for the Toledo plant employees.
    Wow today is Friday too. I hope that they're not in a hurry to get home.

tonkadave- I have a pic of your jeep set as my computers wall paper. We have the same Steel blue color with black top. I like the color combo.

Thanks for all of the help
  • tonkadavetonkadave Posts: 102
    Congrats on the G status. Your going to love the steel blue color. Photos dont do it justice. I will have to get you some updated shots with my 31s on there. what a difference.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I don't know how good you want that sound system to be, but the addition of the factory subwoofer makes a tremendous difference.

If you are thinking of adding an aftermarket amp and sub, remember how precious little room you have to work with in a Jeep. The factory sub is mounted in the base of the full console and doesn't take up any of your cargo room. I think its an 8" sub, if I remember correctly.

You won't have world class sound, but it is a decent system.

You might as well leave the radio off if you just get the standard radio without the sub: there is absolutely NO bass at all without the sub!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • I got it!

You can buy the soft top and soft doors, then sell your doors and hard top on ebay!!!

There you go!
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    If you ever think you are going to get a hard top, make sure you order it as an option. It is insanely expensive to get the hard top ($1600) and full doors ($1100) later. It makes much more sense to get the hard top now and order the soft top later from Mopar or Bestop.

Of course, if you don't think you will ever want the hard top, all this is unnecessary. The new soft tops are supposed to be considerably quieter than the old ones, and as a 2nd vehicle you may not care about having the hard top & doors.
  • kwilson4kwilson4 Posts: 21
    I had the console subwoofer installed in my Sport the week after I bought the Jeep as part of my negotiated deal. (The Sport I bought off the lot didn't already have it.) There's a HUGE difference in sound quality. I believe the technician said that he had to install a special harness for it. He also installed the CD tray in the console which avoids getting small items lost down by the speaker.

twylie, maybe I'll join the chat this Thursday.
  • caseydog2caseydog2 Posts: 3
    Can any of you fellow jeepers answer this question....because no two people at dealerships or chyrsler give me the same answer......

On a 2001 Jeep wrangler sport, is track loc included in the 30 inch wheel package
    when matched with a 5spd and 6cyl?

SOS!!!
    In a word, "No."

It is an extra cost option, and you have to specifically ask for it to be included on your Jeep. If you are talking about a Jeep already on the dealer's lot, it may or may not have it, but if it does, it should say so on the window sticker.

Sounds like you need to go somewhere where they have someone who knows Jeeps.

I have a 2001 Sport that has the 30" Canyon wheel and tire package and the 5 speed transmission, and my Jeep DOES NOT have trac loc, although I wish I had ordered it. People say it is a very good option unless you are going to have something installed after market for a locking differential. I wish I had known that when I ordered my Jeep.

tsjay

• saharanutsaharanut Posts: 134
    Is tsjay wise or what?>
    You know what they say...wisdom comes with age..
    just kidding tom...
    Alot of posting going on today...
    lets keep it going all weekend..

On my Jeep status..not looking good..
    looks like I will be the 1st with a 2002

take care

Snut
    Terry
  • nkelly1nkelly1 Posts: 105
    That is about the shortest time I have ever been in a chat room..... next time.
    Thanks......how does an after market locking differential compare to the factory one? Do you have any idea of the cost?
    I have done some calling around (including my mechanic) and have come to the conclusion that (for me) synthetic oil is the way I am going to go. At $5.00 a quart I had to do a little research/thinking on it.

Two of the big plus's are good cold start lubrication and good heat removal. I call standard oil (in Kentucky) and was told it can even significantly reduce the engine temp. Every one I talked too did say not to waste my time until I have at least 3000 mi on the engine…. Ok no problem.

Call me old fashion but I am going to do my first oil change at 500 mi (tomorrow). Then at 3000 mi I will go to synthetic oil. The one thing that seemed to be standing out was the quality of gasoline being used, in short how "clean it burns" (or contaminates the oil) has a direct bearing on how often the oil should be changed. So this is something I will also consider as part of my maintenance program.

If I am getting to deep into this for posting let me know (I do get carried away with this stuff at times).
    Sorry, Pal, but I am a rookie Jeep owner and not an offroader, so I'll let someone else answer that question for you.

The serious offroaders like the after market lockers better than the factory TracLoc option.

I just wish I had it, because it is supposed to be fantastic for snow. (Not that we get much snow here in western Ky.)

tsjay

Lord no! You are not getting too deep: that was a great post. Very informative!

It supports what I have observed from personal experience. I told you guys in here about that '94 Z28 having quieter cold starts with the Mobil 1, and your research has verified that this should be expected.

Thanks for sharing that, Ned.

tsjay

• spyrodragonspyrodragon Posts: 147
    The Trackloc from factory is OK for road use and mild off road use, It does help with traction in both instances. Although there are many different aftermarket lockers out there that in my and others opinions are much better than factory. There are spools which act as full time lockers. can run 200 and up. There are limited slip which act alot like the factory one, but they usually require slipage to engage and sometimes by then your already stuck 300 for about the cheapest one of those. There are full lockers which the hardcore off roaders like, Detroits are among the most popular 350 and up. Then there are my personal favorite which are the mechanicaly driven lockers. They can be locked and act like a full locker or they can be open and act like an open differential... all at your choice and at the flick of a switch.
    Hope this Helps and Happy Jeepin'
  • tntbeautytntbeauty Posts: 22
    Not that I can take any credit for the decision, but my Dealer also started Baby on regular oil. Her and I took it very easy for the first 3K. At what must have been about 9K (my third oil change)... the service manager muttered something about my GCL experiencing "extreme driving conditions." **bats eyes innocently** Maybe something to do with putting on 3K miles a month. Anyhow, while I have a GCL, it uses the same I6 engine as the Wrangler, and it still purrs so soft I can barely hear it at now 41K+. Also experienced the mpg gain others reported... close to one mpg more over regular oil. And yes, the 5K between oil changes is more convenient. :o) Been awhile since I posted, so had to add my two cents.

Take care all,

Tara
  • yellowmanyellowman Posts: 209
    Hey all

I just put the full cover on for the first time, complete with the lock. Seems to fit well, although it doesn't fit over the bumpers. Is this on purpose? I don't mind, since I have to display a parking permit on my rear bumper anyway. The lock worked well too, loops right underneath and goes through holes at the bottom of the cover on either side near the doors. It took me about 5 minutes to put the thing on, maybe less. A little cumbersome, but that was to be expected. Standing on the sidesteps really helped. Anyone have a similar experience?

yellowman

p.s. - tsjay, I bent that antenna over just like you recommended. Seemed to work fine!
  • madman390madman390 Posts: 72
    I just emailed the new jeep checklist to both of you. It's already in htm format.

Make whatever changes you want to it. I still have to wait to pick up my Jeep; the days are going so slow.

Madman
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Posts: 66
    The factory Trac loc is a limited slip differential. It uses a clutch pack that requires an additative in the gear oil to make sure everthing works properly and because it is a limited slip it will slip under certain situations. It is great on road because it is quiet and usually doesn't not have any torque steer or chattering on turns. Off road in certain situations (one wheel without traction) you may lose the power to the slipping side and they do wear out over time. The full time locker (Detroits etc.) are locked by gears and are nosier on the road, will torque steer in turns. Off road they do not slip and will give you full power to both tires all the time. They are much stronger and do not generally wear out and do not require any special oil. The Part time lockers(Air lockers) is the best of both worlds. You may switch them on for off road and get a full time locker or switch them off for on road for the feel of open axles. The disadvantage is the parts may fail (not lock), more costly for parts and installation and require additional equipment to make it all work properly (switches, air compressor and air lines).
    Twylie has also mentioned that his Duravent cover was too tight to get it over the bumpers front and back.

I have one too, and that was true of mine also, but after being put on several times, mine now has stretched enough that it will go over all four bumper corners. It is very important to have it aligned just right in order to get it to fit over all four bumper corners.

Haven't had occassion to find out how waterproof it really is, since it has never rained on Thelma when she was covered.

If you want to have some fun, try putting that cover on by yourself when the wind is blowing! It is so light that even a gentle breeze makes it hard to handle.

I think it is a good cover, but I still have to find out about how waterproof it is.

tsjay

Is going to be a winch. Elk can be tough to get up a hill side when they are dead (they don't cooperate when they are alive). Hydraulic or electric… jeep or after market? Any advice here would appreciated.
    Thanks for the replies. Now I don't feel so bad for not ordering tracloc. Here is all of the BS. I went through just to try and get a simple answer to a simple question (Is tracloc included with the 30" wheel package?).

Dealer - yes, I think it is? But they really weren't sure

called chrysler - it IS included, but only with the 5spd

dealer - they said they looked into it and they found it was not included

called chrysler again - 2nd response, no it is not and it is not even an option with the 30" wheel package......this blew my mind

called chrysler again hoping to get a customer service rep with half a brain - 3rd response, no it is not included.

back to dealer to order - dealer is still not sure

ordered the jeep anyway without tracloc and will probably get an after market one.
    thanx for your checklist...
    Can I post it on my web page?
    I'll be glad to give you the credit for it..
    Great information on it..
    Thanx again

Snut
    Terry
    I just talked to the jeep dealer I got mine from and was told that tracloc does not come with the 30" wheels nor the dana44, it is a separate item altogether, so......... so what. If I want something like that I will do the research and get the best one for the job at hand.
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Posts: 147
    A couple things about winches. In this case it is personal preferance. Hydraulic's are good because they don't need the cool down time that an electric does. They are extremly powerful. Downsides are that the engine has to be running to use them because the use the power steering fluid to work, this also limits your turning ability while it is in use. They are slow. Now electrics can only be used in spirts, you can't run them all day long. They have a cool down time or you'll burn out the motor. They are quicker while spooling in the line because some of them have two speeds. They don't require any steering fuel so you still have full control of steering while winching. Warn for electrics are popular, and Mile Marker for Hydraulics seem to be pretty popular. I woun't suggest going through jeep because they can be pretty price on the same thing you can get from a local 4x4 shop or off the internet. Do some looking around before you buy from the dealer.
    Hope this Helps and Happy Jeepin'
  • saharagalsaharagal Posts: 88
    nkelly1, you have dual tops, right? I'm wondering how often you use the hard top. I hadn't planned on getting the dual top option, but of course, now I'm wondering if I'll regret not having the hard top. I live in Atlanta, so it's pretty mild most of the time. It actually does get pretty cold here in the winter months. On the other hand, there are also days when it might be 70 degrees in the middle of February. My inclination is to only get the soft top.

Any Atlantans (or similar climate residents) out there care to offer an opinion? Do you use your hard tops?

Thanks!

Laura
    I have the hard top only, and it really ticks me off that I paid $900 for a top that I really don't need! I WISH I had just gotten the soft top!

Or, since I had already forked up the $900 for a hard top, I wish I had spent another $600 for the dual tops.

The 2001's have an improved soft top that is four ply, and I'll bet that no more severe than the winters are here in western Ky (and even more so for you in Atlanta), a soft top would have been just fine in the cold weather.

I got the hard top, because I knew you could always take it off when you wanted to go topless. I didn't realize, however, that it is such a big job to take the thing off and put it on. You also take a chance of having some damage to the top and/or the Jeep during the change-over process. Then, there is the storage problem. The top takes up floor space, and it can be damaged while it is being stored.

If I had it to do over again, I would definitely go with just the soft top!

tsjay

• madman390madman390 Posts: 72
    Please, by all means, post it. And as for the credit, I really can't take much of it. I copied the checklist from another website (Ford Super Duty) and then added inputs from Edmunds and Fool. So all I can take credit for is typing!

Madman
  • saharagalsaharagal Posts: 88
    I knew you really wanted a soft top now, but I didn't know if you meant you wished you had both. Interesting. I don't think I'd really use the hard top. We've had some bad weather today and I just started contemplating the dual tops a little.

Thanks!
    Myself..i am going for dual tops..
    the hard top for a little more security..
    probably have in on october thru feb..
    I've had one vehicle stolen just a little paranoid about it..
    I just dont wanna say "I wish" later on..
    Good luck!

Thanx Madman..I apprecite it..

SNut
    Terry