Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Posts: 24
    mac24 and wheelsdown,

Thanks for the replies. I'm going with the Mopar unit. I appreciate the help!

Semper fi,

Mike
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Posts: 52
    What about the electrical hookup... was that easy as well?
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    skills for installing a hitch,,,,

you need to know how to cuss if you don't already.

I put on an ACME hitch on mine, it fits but took some "persuading" with a hammer to get it in place. The nuts are a bear to hold in place while tightening the bolts. I'm putting a hitch ( different model, bought used from a guy in town) on Heathers Jeep this weekend (hopefully) I tried last weekend, but could not figure out how to fit the bolts through the openings in the frame. It used carriage bolts with the bolt on the inside / nut on the outside of the frame. I got some different bolts and will do it like mine rather than what came with hers.

$200 is an awful lot for install of a hitch. try it yourself first and save that money toward a winch or other mod!!!

jeff
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    the wiring harness is a snap to install, I bought the one for Heathers at Advance Auto, they had to order it but it was there the next day. You just unplug a connection in the rear fender and plug each end into the wiring harness.

jeff
  • wrangler1wrangler1 Posts: 8
    Ok , no dealership in my area seems to have manuals with 3.73:1 axle ratio. I got the advise to go for it from this forum only so I am going to ask here only whether that should be a deal breaker and if I should order a jeep instead of just buying a 3.07 ? Ordering will take 6-7 weeks. Everything else is fine though pricing is not too great but then I wouldn't stress over few hundred here and there.
    Wow, that couldn't be much easier... Still waiting to get my jeep... The hitch will be one of the first things I add... thanks for the advice!
    I heard you could no longer place orders for 2005 Jeeps... Is that true?
  • jtsaulsjtsauls Posts: 2
    Hey Folks. I'm new to this forum and look forward to any advice you might have. I recently purchased a 2005 Unlimited. It has the stock 30 x 9.50 tires on it. I've read plenty of places that say a 31 inch tire will fit with no problems. I'd like to put 33's on it, but am unsure about which lift kit to use, etc.... I read where some guy on E-Bay says that he will tell you how to put 33's on a stock Wrangler with no lift kit and no cutting of the body. He says this is for road jeeps and not trail rigs and that this "trick" is totally reversible so that no one will know when you trade in one day. Any ideas on what he is talking about? He wants 15 bucks to tell you the secret...........
    I'm not opposed to a lift kit because I want to do things right, but I'm on a limited budget right now. Anyone have any feedback on a good 2 inch lift kit?

Thanks
  • johnfmknjohnfmkn Posts: 9
    Well I changed out my oxygen sensor and passed the emissions test but now my oil pressure gauge goes all the way up to 80 when Im driving. At idle it stays at the normal 40-50 range but when im driving especially in 1,2,3 gear it pegs out. Some one told me that the oil pressure sending unit might need to be replaced and I plan on doing it tomorrow because the part isn't very expensive but I don't know where it is located. Any and all help is appreciated.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Wrangler1:

The gear ratio can be a very important factor, if you go to larger tires. The 3.07 ratio is a very high gear (lower number = higher gear). It gets the job done with the standard tire size, I suppose, but when you go to larger tires, the engine lugs down and works harder. Larger tires have the same effect as going to an even higher gear (lower ratio).

Let's say you have 3.07 gears and 28" tires, and you go to 31" tires. This would be the same as going to about a 2.75 gear ratio. For a given speed, your engine will be running about 10% lower RPM than it would have been running before the change in tire size. This can put you below the optimum RPM range for your engine, i.e., it may not make enough power at the new RPM level to sustain speed on even the slightest inclines or against the slightest headwind. You will not accelerate nearly as well. You will need to shift down to a lower gear. You might lose the use of fifth gear all together.

If you ever get into off roading, you are going to want to have good engine braking for going down steep trails. The 3.07 gearing would allow the Jeep to go down the hill faster than you would want it to, and it would force you to use your brakes too much.

If you are NEVER going to off road, and if you are NEVER going to go to bigger tires, then the 3.07 gearing is not a big deal.

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    If you get a Sport, please, please, please take the Old Tomster's advice, and get the AAS package. For ONLY $670, you will get the 30" tires, gas shocks, the beautiful Ravine wheels, and a Dana 44 rear end with 3.73 gearing!!! That is a downright UNBELIEVABLE deal.

If you do that, the time will come when you will thank me profusely for putting you onto that option. You will name a child after me. You will ask me for a picture of myself to hang from your rear view mirror, so that you can thank me every time you drive your Jeep. You will come to my funeral.

Tomster

JT:

Welcome! Glad to have you with us.

If you want a cheap way to run 33" tires, and if the Jeep will be used on the pavement only, then you could probably get by with a two inch "budget boost." These kits are just spacers that are used with your factory springs and have the same effect on ride height as longer springs.

Rubicon express makes a BB kit for $229.95, as listed in the Quadratec catalogue. You get the spacers plus four new, longer travel shocks.

Installation would be simple, and it would be something you could easily do yourself.

The 2" lift would be insufficient to allow you to disconnect your sway bar for off roading. You might get some rubbing even if the sway bar is still connected, if you get into positions that flex the suspension to the max. On the street, there should be no problem.

Yes, 31" tires can be installed with no lift of any kind needed. You can go up to 31" x 10.50" tires.

Tomster

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Wish I could help you find a decent mechanic in SoCal, but I haven't really found one. I used to use a Firestone place in Bakersfield and had excellent luck with them - they seemed honest and would refer me to a reasonable place when I needed something they didn't do (the exhaust manifold, for one). One of their mechanics was a big off-roader and had a beautiful red lifted Wrangler, but I haven't been there in a couple of years. I think it was the Firestone shop on Stine (it's just north of White Lane and I think it's on Stine, but it be on one of the other north-south streets). The main reason I haven't been using them is that you really need an appointment for Saturdays, and I always forgot to call.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    ..............Any ideas on what he is talking about? He wants 15 bucks to tell you the secret...........

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!! :P

If you want cheap, go with a 2" budget boost (and send the $15 to Tom instead!).
  • trew123trew123 Posts: 4
    Hi,

I also have had my Sport for a couple of weeks now (500 miles) and am so happy with it. After the first week, I took the hard top off and have been driving mostly with the soft-top down to work and back each day. Friggin cold some times in the morning but when I leave at 6:00, the looks I get from co-workers and other people on the road is well worth it. My Sport came with the Ravine wheels which are quite nice but I have come across new Rubicon wheels pretty cheap so I am going to swap them out this weekend and try to sell the ravines wheels. I have found a couple of weird items (noises) as well that bother me but none are deal-breakers and I am so happy with my purchase and am thankful for all of the stuff that I have read here that helped guide me in my purchase.

thanks,
    Trew
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    and send the $15 to Tom instead!

Please, no soliciting on the boards! ;)

tidester, host
  • durability05durability05 Posts: 142
    Mike
    I installed the Mopar hitch and wiring harness on my 04 Wrangler X 14 months ago. Use the Mopar wiring kit, it is just a plug and play easy install. The Mopar hitch is a class 1 hitch good for 2,000 pounds only. Also a very easy install, except around the exhaust pipe. You will need a good set of extension for your sockets. My hitch is excellent for its purpose, If I had to do it again, I would stick with the Mopar wiring kit, but probably buy a Class 2 after market hitch good for 3500 pounds
    Trew:

Man, I hope you are not going to end up spending much money when all is said and done and you have sold your Ravine wheels. I have to agree that the Moabs are a little nicer looking than the Ravines, but not by very much in my book. They are both beautiful wheels.

Don't let those Ravines go too cheap. They should bring a real nice piece of change, especially being so new.

Glad you are enjoying that Jeep. They are more fun than you even imagined, aren't they???

Yeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

Tom

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    How FUNNY! I used that same Firestone. The mechanic with the red CJ was the only guy I would let work on our stuff! Can't remember his first name, but his last was Cotton and he moved to Colorado Springs.

As for lifts, Tom nailed it with the spacer budget boost. You can use these offroad, but IMO, if you are going to offroad it lifted, get heavier duty springs and shocks and lift it right. I know spacers are safe, but for some reason, a 'properly done' kit just makes more sense to me. For a good 2" suspension lift, I went with OME. Rubicon Express, Skyjacker (I think), and others make em. OME is pricier, but the ride is reported to be as good as, or better than, stock. With a lift you will never get a perfect ride, as your CG is shifted and such, but since my springs are worn, anything will be an improvement!

-Paul
  • drosketerdrosketer Posts: 203
    A local fellow here has been having death wobble problems since getting a lift and in his case part of the problem was a had to do with the track bar. I don't know what was wrong with it exactly (didn't see it for myself), but replacing it has resolved some of his issues. It now appears that one of his ball joint ends may be hooped as well...