Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• durability05durability05 Posts: 142
    $18900 for a 03 Wrangler X is high. I think a brand new "X" with incentives can be had below $20,000, I think that is what I paid for my 04 "X" 5 speed with a soft top.
    Anyway added a Mopar hardtop, bigger tires etc soon after. If the main purpose is as a daily driver , with minimal off roading, I see lot of College kids here in LA with 4 cylinder softop Wranglers with the same intent of use as you probably have and they are having a blast, and these guys only paid $16,000 for their Wrangler SE with airconditioning, If I did not need the towing capability and bigger tires, a 150 hp 2.5 liter OHC SE would have sufficed. However the 4 cyl. probably only gets an extra 1 mpg.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    If you have a floor jack, a buddy, and some mechanical knowledge, you can drop the tank yourself. You could probably even replace the fuel pump and gasket stuff yourself. Just buy the parts and do it.

A writeup for dropping your gas tank can be found here, as part of a gas tank skid plate install.

I have done it myself (not the fuel pump and gaskets), and I did it TOTALLY solo and had no issues with doing so.

As far as cleaning the fuel injectors, try the STP engine/gas treatment for cleaning fuel injectors. I'd also run some Techron through your system. That may help get things clean enough. If it is an issue after that, THEN consider going to an independent to have the fuel injectors cleaned.

-Paul
    Here is a pic of my new OME suspension in action. Well, it was actually sitting still, but I had stopped on a trail while I was waiting for a Land Rover to go up... (that took a while).

-Paul
    And after the wheeling was done and Kermit was cleaned!

-Paul
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    Hey, Paul, looks good. Are you still running 30 inch tars or is the lift just making those tars look small? Btw, I ordered the Jeeperman light bar the other day. Will probably get the Jeeperman bumper at some point...it's very sharp.
    Yeah, they are still 30" tires. :) Maybe a bit less with some of the spinning they did over the weekend. :)

I'm probably going to stick with 31's. They'll stuff in the fenders just fine and I don't have to worry about rubbing.

-Paul
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    Paul, I agree. I don't see any reason to go larger than 31s.
    While riding at TB this weekend with my lift installed, I found myself able to go everywhere everybody else did. I had the lift and the Kilby gas skid (and it's 1" gain) helping me clear a lot of areas I scraped on just a few months ago. A few people asked me if I was locked front and/or rear, and my differentials are totally open on both ends. They seemed surprised that I was able to go some of the places I did w/o them.

To me, anything larger than a 32" tire, is probably too big for my use. I daily drive it a LOT more than I take it offroad, so streetability is very important to me. With my smaller tires, I just have to be more judicious in the line I take and be smart with the gas pedal.

I came away from the day with ZERO damage, just a lot of dust and a bit of mud.

-Paul
  • myboybluemyboyblue Posts: 56
    Dont forget the interest rate. There can be 2 - 8 points different (depending on your credit score) from a used to a new. This could help offset the price difference from that used overpriced 03 X to a new 05 X (and don't forget the SE, great vehicle for the money.)

Also dont forget the price of the 06 jeeps are going up. So if you do get an 05 this should help up the resale price if you decide to sell in a couple of years. (just my 2 cent, and if the 06 price increase does not help up resale value please dont yell at me.)

P.S.

Tom, you are completey correct about a jeep in college. I had an unpractical jeep in school and you are right about things getting stolen :cry: and the gas :surprise: , but from experience it was worth it. We took her mudd'n in the fall and winter (corn fields and such, not much to do in indiana) and then camping in the spring and summer. Some of the best memories of my life.

Good luck in your decision making.
  • ravagerravager Posts: 20
    Paul,
    How high is that lift? I'm thinking budget 3" for mine but yours looks really balanced.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    And, of course, there's the most important reason to have a Jeep in college: chicks dig 'em!

(For the record, I drove an '81 Chevy Monte Carlo in college.) :cry:

-Mike

Tom, you are completey correct about a jeep in college. I had an unpractical jeep in school and you are right about things getting stolen and the gas , but from experience it was worth it. We took her mudd'n in the fall and winter (corn fields and such, not much to do in indiana) and then camping in the spring and summer. Some of the best memories of my life.
    It is a 2.5" OME lift with the Heavy Duty shocks. While the lift is stated at 2.5", I got about 3.25" with the lift on. I need to measure it again as I think everything has settled in, especially after the wheeling I did.

I have no body lift at this time.

-Paul
    Perfect! that's exactly what I want. Also, can you link how you're attaching your mirrors sans doors? Thanks.
    lists this under mirror relocation bracket.

Some people do not like them. The passenger mirror can be hard to see if you have soft upper doors. I love them personally. Some states do not require mirrors outside, but after living in Cali, I can't go w/o em.

-Paul
  • Well, I just got the IMC hoist for my new Unlimited. I've used it once, and everthing seems to have worked fine. It was easy to install... I was just a little nervious about the first time I lifted the hard top off... saw the "S" screw flex a little bit with the weight of the hard top, but everything seems to have worked fine.

Helpful hint: If you do decide to buy a hoist from IMC. Decide what you want to do with the top after it's off (i.e. I've got a dolly I put mine on to push in the corner of the garage). If you're just gonna pull it up to the ceiling of the garage, everythings fine with what you normally order. If you're gonna drop it down to the floor, and move it around like I do, be sure and ask them to supply you with the extra cable you'll need to retract it to the floor. Otherwise, you'll only get enough cable to pull it up to the ceiling of your garage!

Let me know what you decide to do!
    Scott Y
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    For the record, I drove an '81 Chevy Monte Carlo in college

LOL...I went through 3 beaters in college: '78 Ford Granada, '86 Plymouth Horizon, '87 Dodge Shadow. The chicks were not flocking to any of those cars :cry:

Good things come to those who wait, right? It took me quite a few years but I've got my Jeep. Still waiting on the chicks though :P

-Dan
    One last thing...
    Is there a law in cali saying we must have doors and mirrors? What about the other states.
    Kind of a bummer, but we can always lobby for motorcycles to have doors too...
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Posts: 252
    Hey Keats. Your really adding on the mods. Fins? :) Go Easy, John
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Most states have laws covering this. Often it's a minimum of two, either both outside or one inside and one on the drivers side.

While I'm all for a reduction in legislation, I find it hard to argue against this one. So many times people have performed inane maneuvers in front of, or to the side of me, without using the mirrors they do have, that I can't justify lobbying for the legal removal of them (on road at any rate).
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Posts: 102
    JJ:

Noticed you haven't had any suggestions from the group; I'd guess it's because we've tended to leave the exhaust system standard and put money into other mods. I can't offer any suggestions as to what you might consider adding, but I'd recommend against the types of large diameter exhausts which are popular on the little "jazzed up" Japanese cars! :P