Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Yes, and it's the tire diameter not the wheel diameter that makes the difference. Also, take note of recent posts about changing the speedo gear in the t/c to correct your speedo/odo.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    What TV programs are there about offroading?

my cable options are limited, but the restaraunt ( Bar ) where I spend all my time and money gets about every station available, I'd hope they wouldn't mind if I watched a little TV in there while drinking a few beverages.

jeff
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    The Rubicon wheels are hub centric. So that is one big positive for them. I've read many posts about on the Rubicon forum I frequent about people getting rid of their Moabs and going with aftermarket wheels (lug centric) and having all kinds of balancing issues. Many of them ending up switching back to the Moabs. If I were going to buy new wheels I would go for the AEV wheels. They are hub centric and have a very similar look to the Moab. AEV
  • mike_cmike_c Posts: 8
    Look for Superlift's Offroad Adventures on the Outdoor Channel. It's on at various times during the week. On Saturday and Sunday, Spike TV shows Xtreme 4x4 at noon central time.
    If anyone knows of any others, I'd like to know about them too.
  • greddengredden Posts: 30
    I recently bought a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. It has the 30" tires on it. How can I figure out if it has the 3.73 Axle and the Dana 44 rear end? Also, If it does not, what would be a good price to pay and have them installed. Thanks

Greg from Southern Indiana
    I record 4x4 TV every week. They've done some pretty cool episodes. Recently, the host Doug, took a new Rubicon through trails in Moab.
    4x4 TV
  • PRICES JUST JUMPED TO $2.49 LAST NIGHT IN NORTHERN INDIANA AND NOW THERE IS TALK THAT THIS WILL BE A BARGAIN BY THE END OF THE YEAR. WITH MY 180 MILE ROUND TRIP TO WORK EVERYDAY I MIGHT HAVE TO DUMP MY BABY. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO HELP ON GAS MILAGE?

AND PUSHING HER IS NOT AN OPTION :P
    Your dealer can give you the build details if you take in your VIN, or DC will do it through the Jeep.com site. Otherwise, take a look and see! There should be a metal tag on one of the cover bolts that will show the ratio and if it's a (an) L/S. The D35 cover is almost circular and the fill/level plug is rubber.

You'd probably spend between $2-4K to change the front r&p and fit a D44 in the rear.
    Please don't SHOUT. :mad:

Assuming your vehicle is properly serviced and within specs, your gas mileage will be completely under the influence of your right foot. The long established tried and true methods work very effectively.

However, a Wrangler is not an economic vehicle for long distance commuting, and never has been. Poor aerodynamics contribute greatly and there's little to be done about that except driving more slowly, preferably below 45 mph, which is impracticable on a regular commute.
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    if I hadn't paid this Jeep off 3.5 years ago I'd fret about it more. Car payments + $2.25 gas (price around here) would be painful. But since it's just gas and oil changes now, plus occasional repairs (see the above post on my manifold replacement), I can live with it.

I do doubt very much that my next vehicle will be any sort of truck though, it will be something that gets at least 30mpg on the highway. Might keep the Jeep as a second vehicle.

And actually, if you incorporate the tax money we are currently throwing into our oh-so-fruitful Middle East policy, we Americans are paying about $7/gal.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    when I bought my jeep, i had every intention of driving my volvo for work ( 800 - 1000 miles / month) and longer trips ( to my parents / college friends houses / etc ) but the jeep is SO MUCH FUN to drive I find myself driving it all the time.

you could pick up a small car / better gas mileage for commuting / keep the jeep for your fun driving.

jeff
  • Please don't SHOUT.

SORRY MY CAPS IS BROKE :P
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    SORRY MY CAPS IS BROKE

I advise getting them fixed. People tend to ignore messages typed in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    I've heard that this is the last year for the 7/70 drivetrain warranty. On 06 models it will end at 3/36. Has anyone seen anything official? If so, this seems like a major incentive to get an '05...and a disincentive for buying any Jeep in 06 or later because it shows D-C must have high Jeep driveline warranty expenses. Its surprising how little information on 06 Jeep specs is available; google 06 Jeep and all you get is Commander hype.
    That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard........yada yada yada

So you joined this forum today just to start an argument? I don't think so! You're obviously a regular here (if not actually 'myboyblue'), so use your regular name if you have something to say that you want to be taken seriously.
    Yep, that's a fact. It's going back to 3/36 for the '06 model year. Not that big of a deal, really. You can barely get them to cover anything under it anyway.
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    (Keats)

Thats not very encouraging. Is the problem D-C resistance? Do they underpay dealers for warranty work? Most dealers from whom I've bought cars from are pretty cooperative since warranty work is added shop revenue. If there's any vehicle on the planet that should have all the bugs worked out, it should be the Wrangler. Is there anywhere on the web I can research the quality of Jeep warranty support more?
    I've had 0 problems with the Rubicon, and I bought in May of '04. But I've had several problems with our '04 Grand Cherokee. I have all of our vehicles serviced at a GoodYear shop down the street. They called me out one day to let me know that 3 out of 4 of my shocks were leaking. The dealership said it was normal. So I politetly asked them, "So, the shock that isn't leaking is abnormal?" At the same time, my front brake rotors were warped and needed to be replaced. This was at 18 thousand miles. They would not replace them under warranty which I found ludicrous. We don't live up in the Rockies and ride the brakes down a mountain every day. I have also had two other problems related to the steering column that were fixed under warranty. So I'm batting .500 which isn't too bad I guess. I think the real issue is that DC pushes back on the dealers. I think these so called "Five Star" dealers are under even more pressure from DC to go along with the program.
    I've been reading the posts here for awhile but I did just join today. I'm not trying to start an argument. Are you?.........

If you have been here a while you'll know that the atmosphere here is one of friendly conversation, which is a contrast to the forums on some other sites.

You said in your earlier post "This is the internet.........Dig?", so I would assume that you are aware of the normal rules of etiquette that you don't shout (and ALL CAPS is universally recognized as shouting), and it wouldn't be usual to make your first post an aggressive challenge to one of the forum hosts. The suggestion was made that 'myboyblue' should fix his caps lock problem, not replace his computer.

It doesn't bother me that you make personal insults in your second post, "If you want to be taken seriously stop acting like a jerk.", but it does contravene the agreement you made with Edmunds when you asked permission to post here.

How about making your third post a positive contribution to this forum?
    Who has ever heard of a broken caps lock,anyway? I've been in IT for 10 years--never scene it. I believe, Mac, your theory is correct about the identity of this fellow.