Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome to the world of Jeeps.

When do we get to see some pics????

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • saharanutsaharanut Posts: 134
    Thanx for all the congrats all...
    I appreciate it...I can wait..
    I soo excited I dont think I will sleep tonight.
    All you you wish me well on my road trip tomorrow

congrats ghinson...
    now we are actual jeep owners..

See yall tomorrow with pics of my

60th Aniversary Edition
    Black
    Auto
    Full Metal Doors
    Body-color Wheel Flares and Rocker Sills
    Canyon 30" Tire & Wheel Group
    Fog Lamp & Tow Hook Group
    A/C
    AM/FM Stereo radio with CD 5 speakers with Sub
    Specailly embroidered Floor mats
    Speed Control
    Dark Tint
    Dual Tops

take Care!
    60AENut!!
  • nkelly1nkelly1 Posts: 105
    You have a 2000 model so it should still be under warranty. I would take it to them and tell them to fix it, leaks, electrical, ect… everything that has gone wrong with it. DOCUMENT everything they do and say, get the names of everyone you talk too. If they do not fix it or try to put you off, give Chrysler a call and complain to them. If the dealer gives you a run around (does anything but say yes sir we get right on it) get on the phone and raise hell. Let us know how it goes…. maybe we could start a letter campaign……. the more spoons in the pot…… the better it gets stirred up.

Here is a phone number that I have used to complain about my dealership to Chrysler.... 1-800-992-1997. Everyone, at Chrylser,that you talk to on the phone has an employee ID number, make sure you get that too so you know who said what.
  • dwranglerdwrangler Posts: 127
    I like the options on the 60th anv. edition (all except for the embroidered floor mats and the dual tops). I like the color flares and everything on the Sahara, but I'm not so sure about those green seats. I don't necessarily want to get the leather seats, I'd prefer the stock cloth seats that come with the sport and anniversary edition. What do you think would be a reasonable price for the Sahara with the 30" package and the anniversary edition what it would cost? I know it might be some time (oh it pains me to say that), but I want to keep up on the costs until I get one so that I don't get taken by a dealer that thinks they can put one over on a 37 year old woman. Don't laugh, when I was searching for my first car just out of high school(that was quite a few years ago ;) ) and told the local jeep salesman that I really wanted a Jeep CJ5. He looked at me and laughed. I told him that it may take me a few years to get one, but that I would come back to that dealership from time to time to keep the dream alive...and that he most likely would not be long at that dealership. Sure enough, three months later I decided to drop by the dealership and he was no where to be found. I guess he offended too many customers with that attitude. Let me know what you all think about the cost. I talked to a guy at a local eatery and he had all the options on his Sahara that I want and he said don't offer any more than $21,000.

dwrangler
  • dwranglerdwrangler Posts: 127
    Just wanted to add a thankyou to all those Wrangler lovers. I am so glad that this chat room isn't of the "mine ride is bigger, better, and badder than yours" crowd. Awhile back I had started a topic about the Ford Ranger. It was great that it lasted so long, but it eventually became a topic room that some visitors tainted and turned it from something that was meant to be fun and informative to something that was combative. So again thanks to my fellow Wrangler enthusiasts.

dwrangler
  • cremaster4cremaster4 Posts: 12
    +Yellowman
    I am sharing a storage space in Manhattan with a friend that is also storing his top in the same space. The monthly charge is $150. When I arranged the rental, I thought we could store one horizontally on the floor and put the second on two shelves mounted on the left and right walls. I didn't take into consideration that the door was too small to maneuver this. We ended up propping both of them sideways against the wall. I was prepared with sheets of 2" thick foam pads to protect the glass/washers. I know in both the video and instruction book, it is advised to store the hard top horizontally. I will let you know in October if the top will be warped because of this.
    I have a lot of space in the storage unit to store my back seats, seat belts and other junk that I seem to accumulate. This storage space is about 5 blocks from my apartment building so it is extremely convenient for me. $75 per month may seem like a lot to store a hard top, but it is worth it. I won't even go into how much I pay for parking, it's probably more than some of you pay for rent.

+Tonkadave
    I have a Magellan750 Nav GPS system. As it may not be necessary for everyone, but if you knew me well, you would find out that I am REALLY retarded with directions. I may have some disease that forbids me to know north from south and left from right!
    I paid $1600 for the 750 Nav installed. I first used this system in a Hertz vehicle while I was away on business. They call there system Neverlost. The system consists of a small screen, slightly larger than a Gameboy. It is installed to the left of my Radio on a custom that is fitted especially for a Wrangler. The computer is about the size of two video tapes side to side. This is installed under my drivers seat. The third part of this system is an antenna, about the size of a peanut butter jar cap that measures about 3.5" in diameter and about .5" thick. This is mounted on the hood near the windshield.
    I think it is a great "gadget" that I cannot live without. For details and pictures of this unit, you can go to autonav2000.com to find out more details.
    I do have a proximity sensor with my Viper alarm system. It is mounted under the carpet, directly in back of my console sub woofer. I have tested it and a warning tone goes of if I get anywhere within about 3 inches near both the hard and soft deep tinted windows. As I found out this evening, the sensitivity of this unit even works with the Tonneau cover.

+Sasquatch 2000
    I don't consider myself paranoid but others may beg to differ. I guess I am just being a little overly cautious with my belongings. As Twilie stated, I don't want to tempt anyone into snatching anything from the back cab. I consider it a better deterrent than having nothing at all. And after I installed it this evening, I think it looks good too!

+Twilie
    I got the Bestop non drill bikini. I did'nt install it yet. I will take your advise in getting 1" bolts before I attempt the install. Thanks for your advise! I really find your site extremely informative.
    You have put a lot of time and effort into this. I am not alone in applauding you for all your advise and detailed instructions. Have you ever gone through a rain storm with your bikini/duster? Does the water puddle up on the duster and drain into the interior of the Jeep? Let me know if you have any other secrets about the install of the bikini/duster/wind screen.
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Posts: 147
    So, nice mods... when you gonna use them??? I love what Jeeps can do. 2 days after I got my lift I was out running trails at the nearest National Forrest area. If I would have known you were looking for a Modded out Jeep I would have sold mine to you for 25,000. Only thing you would of had to added would have been the winch and lockers. (just kidding, my Jeep has a personality beyond a price tag). So gotta get some pics up buddy. also, what kind of lift are on those Landrunners? Is it a full suspension or just a spacer and body lift? who's it made buy? Also does it have sway bar disconnects? Just asking a few questions. Hope you love it!

Happy Jeepin'
    Join me, brothers and sisters in celebrating this wonderful day. The Nut gets his Jeep today!

He leaves at 8:00 AM to head for a dealer somewhere near Atlanta where he picks up his 60th Anniversary Wrangler. That's about a three hour drive from where he lives in Alabama.

I don't know which of us suffered longer before finally getting our Jeep, me or Saharanut. It was about a six month ordeal for each of us, I believe.

CONGRATULATIONS, NUT!

I know this whole group has been pulling for that boy for a long time. It's a cause for celebration, not just for Terry, but for all of us.

Now, everyone, join the chat tonight, and let's let Nut tell us all about his day! (If he can somehow get out of that Jeep long enough to get on the computer).

tsjay

Thanks for the shipping cost info. I was just curious what it would cost to ship a Jeep that far.

I'm glad that the time is getting close for you to get that baby! I know it can't be soon enough from your perspective.

Thanks to you and all other service men and women who serve our country in a foreign land. Hope that Jeep will make your time away from the Good Old USA a little more pleasant. It will bring a little bit of America right to your door, right?

It was great chatting with you the other night. Get in there with us as often as you can, but I know that time difference makes it almost impossible for you.

tsjay

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    ghinson - Congratulations. You definitley have one unique Jeep in the Landrunner. For the rest of the time you own it, you'll be explaining to people that it's not a Hummer, plus you've got $50k extra in your pocket. Have a great time with it and gets some pics up. I'm curious where you bought it. I've only seen them at one dealership in the ATL area and didn't know how common they are elsewhere in the country.

60AEnut - where do we begin... Congratulations. As I type this, you probably finishing breakfast and getting ready to head to GA to pick up your new beauty. I was hoping I might be able to drive up to meet you, but work intervened. Have a great trip coming home and trust me, your jaw will hurt from smiling by the end of today!

cremaster - We've had the duster in a moderate rain and didn't have any problems with water pooling up. We had the rear area pretty well packed so the duster had a bit of a crown to it. If any water rolls in from this, I'd think it would run forward, hit the leading edge flap, dispurse to the sides and possibly drip behind the front seats on the outside edges. I try to keep any clothes or items I want to stay dry close to the rear door, since that area looks to be watertight. I'm glad the site has been useful to some people. For my cars, I like to keep a record of what gets done to them, so this time around, I figured I'd keep it all on the web since Jeepers seem to be really good at sharing info on their vehicles. I know I've been to literally hundreds of Jeep pages in the last 6 months and have learned a ton and picked up some really good suggestions. My pages are a way for me to remember what the heck I did and the issues I ran into. I hope the hard top stays in shape for you. You and your storage partner may want to see if you can make a shelf so you can store one on the ground and one on a shelf directly above it. I'd hate to hear that your brand new hardtop doesn't fit too well going into next winter. The GPS you got sounds really cool. I'm a gadget guy, and we're going to get an eTrex Vista for hiking, kayaking, and Jeeping, but it's not nearly as good at the driving piece. I'll have to check out the link you posted.

Happy Jeepin' all. See you at the chat this eve.

-twylie
  • "+Twilie...I got the Bestop non drill bikini. I did'nt install it yet. I will take your advise in getting 1" bolts before"

What WAS the 1" bolt advice again???
  • gcl98gcl98 Posts: 26
    Nice list of options. But what is a Landrunner conversion? Congrats...and post some pictures.
  • gcl98gcl98 Posts: 26
    Congrats to you too. I see she finally caved in. You're gonna love it. Looking forward to seeing some pictures from you too.
  • crazyjprcrazyjpr Posts: 8
    So the crazy jeeper is without wheels for the second day. I took my '00 TJ to a different dealer this time and asked that they fix everything I could find wrong with it. The list includes whatever made the 'check engine' light come on, leaking transfer case, dash lights that are out, problem with the transfer case shift mechanism, screwed up gas gauge and whatever else they find. Guess I'm just gonna suck it up and pay to keep having the thing fixed.

And since that's the case, I figure this is a good forum in which I can ask about some mods to this beaten-down beast. First off, I am in Syracuse NY, so you'll understand why I had to lose the 30" Wrangler GS-As when winter arrived. They absolutely stink in anything more than 4 or 5 inches of snow. So I went to Bridgestone Winter Duelers and they are phenomenal. But now I am back on my worn out GS-As. The question is this... Has anyone put 31x10.50R15 tires on a stock TJ Sport 4.0? The guys at Interco tell me that the Super Swampers in that size will rub all over the place. Has anyone put 31's on their TJ without a lift? I'm thinking of going with some bias belted Mickey Thompsons, and they do come in a 30", but I just can't help but think that a 31x10.50 would look a lot better in those wells.

Any suggestions? I know, you'll probably say "lift it!" and I am saving up for the $6000 to do it right... So that's coming some day. The crew at 4Wheel Parts in Colorado Springs is all ready for me to make the trip for my build-up. But for now, what are your thoughts? Stick with the 30s, or can I make the 31s fit? Maybe add a 1" body lift to fit 'em? Whaddya think?

And thanks for the support in dealing with the dealership's repair problems. I hope going to a new dealer (one who's actually 5-star) might help. We'll see.
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    sasquatch - I know you're not actually asking that I repeat what is posted less than one page ago... take a little initiative.

Landrunner Conversions - http://www.landrunner.com & get on a fast connection, because the only info available is in Flash.

-twylie

• Now I see. You put in 1" bolts to replace the ones supplied. I thought there was a reference to it on your page, and missed it in the text. My bad.

Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Now, everyone please get back to convincing/harassing me into buying a Wrangler.
  • VolareVolare Posts: 15
    I found a jeep down in PA. It's a 90 wrangler islander, 112k, 4.2L , 3 tops, 2 sets of doors, ad, as, p., alloy wheels, air. He's asking 5 grand for it. I was wondering what you guys know about how much this should go for and if there is anything to watch out for if I buy it. Thanks, Dan
  • saharagalsaharagal Posts: 88
    Well, I've just been told that the Sahara that my dealer has on order for me won't be built until the first week in July! It was suppose to be here NOW! They told me two weeks ago that it was in the building stage!

The salesman says he can do a trade and get me one with everything I wanted plus the speed control that I didn't want for the invoice price of the one on order. Which means speed control will be thrown in for free. The hitch is, it's got 500 miles on it because it's been on a lot since February.

Is that too many miles? Should I wait for the one that's being built in July? Could use some advice!
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I don't know what the laws are in GA, but here in California, I think that any car over 700 miles is considered used (could be wrong about the mileage, but that's what sticks in my mind). I bought my Wrangler with 750 miles on it. I'm very happy with it but was not happy with the dealer. The presented it as a new car, and it wasn't - it was what they call an unwind. In other words, it had been sold but the person who bought it couldn't get financing, so the dealer took it back. I got a reasonable deal based on new car pricing ($300 over dealer's invoice), but had to force them to admit that it was an unwind. Since it was actually a used car by all definitions, I didn't get a good deal at all. On the other hand, I love it dearly, have 90,000 trouble free miles from it and am so happy I got some extras that I would not have otherwise bothered with. I would ask your dealer if it is an unwind (a possibility since it has that many miles) and then look at it from a used car point of view.

Recently I came close to buying a car with a really bad deal. I actually thought hard about accepting it because my other half really wanted that car. It was worth it to him to accept that horrible deal (4 year lease with a price based on $4,000 over MSRP). Do you want to wait or do you want to get something right now? The time difference won't make much difference when you come to sell the car, and the addition of cruise control might add to the worth of it later down the line. That isn't an issue for me, since I will probably drive my jeep for a couple of more years and put so many more miles on it that it'll be worth only bottom dollar (I couldn't trade in my '88 Nissan hardbody with 290,000 miles on it, but I sold it for $750 and the person who bought it had to tow it at least 30 miles because the transmission was blown, and he was not from one of the mountain communities!). I expect that I will do the same sort of thing with the Wrangler.
  • ghinsonghinson Posts: 36
    To answer some questions above:

"Nice mods, when are you going to use them?" In two weeks I am moving to Nantucket, where I will spend half my waking hours driving around the beaches there to surf fish. So I didn't get it to mud bog or rock crawl per se, but I'll be in some good sand and don't want to get stuck. There are some trails through the conservation areas there for some fun too.

"What kind of lift?" It's a 2 or 2.5" Rancho lift. The Landrunners can come with or without a lift.

"Where did I get it?" There's a dealer in Tifton, GA (far south) that had two. He was getting antsy to move them. In fact, if there's anyone else out there that wants one, I know where you can get a black one at true dealer cost.

For everyone else out there looking to get a new Jeep, I know of two dealers in the country selling two nearly new ones (<100 miles) at below what is normally dealer cost. Shipping would probably be less then $500. If you're interested let me know and I can give you the details.

Dual top rant--I spent the entire day with the salesman (nice but knows less about Jeeps then I do, and I've never had one) trying to get the soft top on and then the hard top back on. I tried to get them to get the manuals out, but I think the testosterone levels were a little higher then normal just standing around this thing. The hard top comes off easy. The soft top went up with some effort...VERY tight fit, but that's probably good. Then we tried to fold the soft top back to where it was and put the hard top back on. No way. You have to disassemble the soft top and remove it in order to use the hard top. Real pain to change tops. So in the future, I'll probably leave the hard top on 6 mos and the soft 6 mos.

Landrunner does have a GREAT safari roof rack that was not at all in the way of either installation. It leans back on shock-like things, like I think the Garvin one does.

Lastly, how do you post pics? I can give you links to ones similar to mine:

http://landrunnersocal.com/default.htm (the old Landrunner site without Flash)

http://www.radiosonline.com/quigley.htm

(scroll down until you see a yellow one, picture 33" Mickeys, a hard top, and a little lift and it will be mine)

Only had it for 3 hrs of daylight on the road; it gets some serious looks.

Greg

• saharanutsaharanut Posts: 134
    Wow...Whatta Rush!!
    I have Tazz right here now!
    beautiful!!
    Cant beleive it...

thanks for all the congrats!!

Snut
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942
    Way to go Saharanut! Happy for you.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• saharagalsaharagal Posts: 88
    Just wanted to add my congratulations to the board! Have fun!

Saharagal
    Glad you finally got that thing... now stop posting and get out there and enjoy it!!!
    Happy Jeepin'
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/jeepchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Yes you can fit 31's on a stock wrangler no problem... just don't disconnect your sway bar or you'll rub the front fenders. The reason they say the super swampers will rub is because they run bigger than other tires. Their 31's are truely 31' or even a little more whereas others are less than 31'. I've seen a guy driving with 33's on a stock TJ... don't recommend it but apparantly it can be done. I'd say go with the 31's if you're not going to do much off-roading or if you do just get extended bumpstops. $6,000 for a lift!!! WOW, what the world are you gonna get?? I'd love to hear what you're planning on putting on. Interco and Mickey Thompsons are good off-road tires (great actually) but if this jeep sees alot of road miles I'd suggest going with an M/T from Goodrich or the MTR's from Goodyear, that's what I have and they are great on road and excelent off-road, they lack just a bit in mud but are a great trail and rock tire. I'd love to hear what all you're planning to do.

Happy Jeepin'
  • ghinsonghinson Posts: 36
    I tried. Apparently Edmunds doesn't like Macs. I tried on Netscape and IE, private message and reg. chat. I also emailed Todd. Did that get through? I am not on AOL.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942
    Have you tried clearing your cache or refreshing stuff? I sent a message off so please try again and let us know what happens (specifics will help). Thanks!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• tonkadavetonkadave Posts: 102
    31's will fit no problem. Heres some pics of my stock Jeep with 31's.

http://www.homestead.com/jeepville/tonkajeep.html