Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• I have a 2004 Wrangler Sahara. I want to raise it a few inches. What recommendations are you there and what kind of price am I looking to pay? I've been looking at skyjacker. I need help!
  • I am looking for the best, brightest fog lights. Any suggestions?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    What do you want the lift for......i.e. looks/greater articulation/etc., etc.???
    Are you actually wanting to see better in the fog, or are you talking about auxiliary lighting?
  • Thanks for the information. I thought the $700.00 was a bit much since I have had most of those services done at the local shop. I will have these done and save major mechanical problems for the dealership if the local shop can not handle.
  • $700 is excessive. I had ALL my fluids changed in mid-august, and it cost me about $200 canadian. However, with the help of many on here, I have recently learned to do much of it myself, so next time it will esentially be just the cost of fluids (and synthetics now as well. The maintenance, is, of course, definitely worth the price of admission, and your Jeep will thank you for it.

Ryan
  • I'm wanting the lift for looks and some articulation. I want to be able to do some mild off roading, but I still want the ride to be good.
    Ok, if you want more than looks it'll be a suspension lift rather than a body lift. If you want a good ride you need to look further than the Skyjacker, though it is cheap. Ideally, you probably would be well suited by an OME (Old Man Emu)lift. Not the cheapest, but you do get what you pay for.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Gredden:

I'm thinkin' we might have discussed this via posting or via emails, but where in southern IN do you live, and would a trip to Turkey Bay for some wheelin' be out of the question?

Why don't you email me, and let's talk about it. My email is public in my profile here at Edmunds.

I've been having trouble mustering enthusiasm for wheelin' since I lost my Puppy. It was our favorite thing, and it was something that we always did together. Ross Allen was my number one Jeepin' buddy. I'll bet I have been wheelin' 200 times, and he was with me all but three times. I sure miss him.

Anyway, about your lift...

If all you plan to do is mild wheelin', then there is no need for a big lift and big tires. The higher you go on your lift, the more you mess up your driveline angles. You reach a point at about 3" of lift where you need to make driveline angle correction. This can be done with a transfer case drop, but that just reduces the ground clearance that you had gained by the lift.

There are all kinds of things that come into play with a big lift. The driveline angles that I just mentioned are one thing, but there is also steering geometry to consider. The axles are attached to the frame by control arms. When you raise the frame higher, as you do with a suspension lift, that has the effect of pulling the front axle towards the back of the Jeep and the back axle toward the front of the Jeep. This repositioning of the front axle will take you out of the desired range for castor, and it can even cause death wobble.

I think good old Mac hit it right on the head. Get yourself an OME lift, and this will give you about 2.5" to 3" of lift. (The OME for TJs is nominally a two inch lift, but people get a little more than that usually, especially when they go with the heavy duty springs. Lots of folks say that the ride is better than factory with the OME springs and OME shocks, even with the heavy duty version.) You will need to drop the transfer case for driveline angle correction, but you should not need to mess with control arms. Your steering geometry will probably not be messed up enough to hurt anything, but you WILL need to have the front end aligned immediately after the lift is installed.

A cheap alternative to a suspension lift would be a spacer lift, or "Budget Boost," as they are often called. Rubicon express makes a kit for just a little over $200, This gives you a 2" lift. Longer shocks come with that kit.

Holler at me.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay53/
  • I guess I'm talking about auxiliary lights. As if you didn't know, I'm new to this. Thanks
    Brightest and best wasn't it? Best is rather subjective, but brightest has to be a High Intensity Discharge (HID) type of light.

KC HighLites would be a good example, and they cost around $700-$800.

• tsjay,

Is there anyone in the are that carry OME?
    Gredden:

I think most people order them over the Internet. There are several sources for the OME via the Net. You can check Quadratec, but you might do better on price elsewhere.

Lifts are easy to install, so you should be able to do it yourself. The one hard part that I have heard about is the trac bar relocation bracket. I didn't have to worry about that with my little 2" Procomp lift.

Tom
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I need a set of Bilsteins for my non-lifted 1999 Sahar.. The part numbers are BE5 2442 and BE5 2443. The best price I've found is $59.99 each at Autozone. Does anyone know of a place with a better price? Thanks.
    No, that's a good price..........it's about $5 cheaper than I've seen elsewhere.
  • Thanks, Dave: I have been checking as many racks as I can find. I really don't want to drill any holes in the jeep or remove any bolts I don't feel confident in doing so. I think I would rather go to a body shop and have them do the job for me should I go with the Congo or any similar rack. With winter coming on I'll have a few months to decide what to do. Spider
    Gredden and anyone interested in an OME lift kit:

The Quadratec price for the 2" TJ OME lift kit is $769.95, but you can get the same kit from dpgoffroad.com for $649.95.

Tom
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Thanks, Mac. I had checked most every 4X4 commercial web site and found the same thing. It's just kind of hard to believe that a shop down the street has the best price on something like Bilsteins.
  • dave__dave__ Posts: 80
    Getting the torx bolts off was hard. Drilling the holes in the back was easy. Of course, that could have been because I'd already scratched up my new baby trying to get the torx bolts out. :cry:

Anyway, if you go with the Congo rack the ad may make you think you need the extra utility bars or whatever they call them. I recommend you don't buy them at first. Install the rack and then see if you still want them. I think the rack could hold a canoe without them but it might make it easier to get the boat on and off.

If you decide you do want them, let me know and I'll sell you my never used set for a very good price.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • Greetings everyone. Just two short questions. I was talking to a guy who had an 03 Sport and he was running SUV Blizzaks that he just put on for the winter. He could not say enough good things about this tire on a SWB Jeep during the winter. He would still be talking if I did not make an excuse to leave, and that was two days ago. I remember having Blizzaks on a 1990 Lincoln Town Car. The boat of all boats. They were great on that car. Has anyone heard of running SUV Blizzaks on a Jeep during the winter? Just curious. #2. Whats the best windshield wiper folks have used that actually works well. My factory wipers have always been less than satisfactory. Anything from Quadratec that you have had good results with? Something that actually removes water from the windshield would be nice. Keats, you must have the latest high-tech wipers with heat,lights and sound-any advice? :) Go Easy, John