Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Infiniti M35

Comments

• james27james27 Posts: 433
    The dealer indicates there will be a fair number of changes to the M-series for 2008, with maybe the biggest in the M45x. Said more aggressive styling and new wheels.
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 930
    The car doesn't need more aggressive styling and new wheels....it needs a more powerful engine and a new transmission. Sounds like Infiniti is going to try to keep the M the same year to year with the usual nothing worthwhile changes....a new taillight, new wheels.

That won't work for me...if that's all they do, then when my lease is up, I'll be in some other car for the next lesae
  • bruceomegabruceomega Posts: 250
    james27,

When you mention M45x, does that mean Infiniti is coming out with AWD for the V-8? Or did you mean to say M35x?

Thanks
    Bruce
  • blov8rblov8r Posts: 567
    For the two-plus years this M has been on the market the biggest complaint that has been posted over and over again is the transmission ... need for a 5th, even 6th gear. There's plenty of power in this 2-ton car to push it along with the rest of the competition but the tranny lacks a highway "overdrive" gear to decrease the high speed rpm's and improve fuel economy.

By way of comparison, I just rented a 36' RV for a weekend with a Ford V-10 ... it had an OD gear and at 65 mph was turning a mere 2500 rpm. Bart :(
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    But was it the diesel or the gas V10? And the M does have a 5th gear, doesn't it? :confuse:

To the guy that said it needs more power, I don't think I've read a single post that it was underpowered in V6 or V8 form; though, the V8 could use some more juice simply for appearances. The 550i and E550 have 360HP and 382HP, respectively. But the M45 is still competitive against the A6 4.2.
    V-8, all wheel drive model M45x.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Posts: 250
    An AWD V-8 would be very interesting, and broaden the playing field.

I've been looking at the new 535Xi, and an M45x would be a more attractive alternative to me than the M35x.

Does the M45 with auto have the same issue some have raised with the M35 auto regarding high engine revs at highway speed?

Thanks
    Bruce
    No clue...see if you can find a talkative dealer, or wait a little longer to see what the magazines say.
    It was the gas V-10. My M35 revs the same at 65. Bart
  • plinaplina Posts: 33
    Infiniti has to do something for 2008 they can't have a G sedan and G coupe with mre horsepower than the M35/45.
    I mileage in NYC is a dismal 9 MPG and at $3.59 A gallon they are in deep trouble with me. MY lease is up in 4/08 and I better see some changes, this is my 4th Infiniti and I dealt with the bad mileage when it was around 2 bucks a gallon I didn't care but when I spend $70 for a full tank and only get 200 miles the buck stops here.
    They will sell few M's if they don't improve the horsepower and mileage, I want a 7 speed tranny.
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    horrendous gas mileage by Infiniti was one of the main reasons I did not buy one - instead buying a BMW. Infiniti needs to get off the "we can make our 3.5L go faster than yours by transmission and final gear ratios" kick. They may be fast, but they suck gas, and the kudos for those days are over. If the 08 M does not have some salutes to gas mileage, via a SIX speed auto, or other efficiencies, in this econo environment, they will become an asterisk. EVERY other auto manufacturer understands this.
    I've enjoyed every minute of the 2+ years I've had my M but I'll not get another unless the gearing issue is resolved and respectable fuel economy improves. I can afford the fuel ... all of us who sprung for $53K cars can ... but it's an annoyance and Infiniti's arrogance NOT to address those issues has me looking another direction when this lease is up. I may even go hybrid! Bart :(
  • kalskals Posts: 4
    Infiniti have released info on the 08 M. Same engine and transmission. Here is a cut and paste. For the full go to nissannews.com:

For 2008, the Infiniti M receives major upgrades that include the first-ever availability of Infiniti’s intelligent ATTESA E-TS all-wheel drive system on the 4.5-liter V8-powered M45. The new model, designated M45x, joins the M35x to provide buyers with two choices in all-climate AWD performance.

Other enhancements for 2008 include revised interior and exterior styling and added luxury amenities and technologies, including the production debut of Infiniti’s newest safety technology, the Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) system. LDP takes Infiniti’s existing Lane Departure Warning system (currently implemented on the FX and the 2007 M sedan) one step further by utilizing the Vehicle Dynamic Control to apply slight brake pressure to the wheels opposite the side of the lane departure direction to help prevent the M from inadvertently traveling out of its travel lane.

The M45 continues to offer a 325-horsepower 4.5-liter aluminum-alloy DOHC V8, while the M35 features the award-winning VQ-series 3.5–liter V6, tuned for the M to produce 275 horsepower. For the new model year, both engines will be offered with rear-wheel drive and Infiniti’s intelligent ATTESA E-TS all-wheel drive system. For 2008, previous M Sport models have been replaced by an available Sport Package.

Enhancements to the 2008 M include:
    - New M45x AWD model with intelligent ATTESA E-TS all-wheel drive
    - Production debut of Infiniti’s Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) system
    - Revised front and rear fascia, headlights, grille, rear decklid and taillight design, rear fender panels, new chrome accents
    - New wheel designs
    - Available Sport Package with unique styling, Rear Active Steer (RAS), 19-inch wheels and tires
    - Increased differentiation between Sport Package and non-Sport Package vehicles with unique bumpers, side sills, headlight color and wheels
    - Rain sensing wipers
    - Infiniti Hard Drive Navigation System with touch-screen, 9.3GB Music Box hard drive for digital music storage and playback and available XM NavTraffic® (requires active XM® subscription, sold separately)
    - Revised interior and revised aluminum and wood trim
    - Standard High Intensity Discharge (HID) xenon headlights with Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) (optionally available on M35 AWD)
    - Standard climate-controlled seats
    - New Stone interior color
    - New white instrument panel lighting with violet accents and white and violet interior lighting
    - Standard XM Satellite Radio (requires XM® subscription, sold separately)
    - Six new exterior colors (out of eight total)
    while I am sure that the 08 M changes will be beneficial, I think that Infiniti will witness declining sales specifically because they refused to address the gas mileage issue. People have been complaining about this since the car was introduced, and there are some relatively easy solutions to maintain good performance and improve cruising MPG (e.g. six speed transmission). We'll see what happens, but I doubt that their sales will improve because of these changes.
  • kalskals Posts: 4
    I have to agree with you 100% Pearl. The gas mileage issue should have been addressed. I don't think they can drop in a six speed auto because they don't have one in the parts bin. Correct me if I am wrong but there are currently no six speed auto Nissans or Infinitis. Perhaps if they had dropped in the revised 3.5 V6 they could have taken advantage of its better torque curve and thus tweaked the gear ratios a little for better economy. Sales are going to stay flat at best or go down.

On a side note I wonder what sort of mpg's the new M45x will yield.
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 930
    Really unexciting news! My M35 lease will be up in 15 months and I was anticipating moving into the '08 M...but not with these changes.

1) The obvious negative is no changes to the engine or transmission...Where is the 3.7, where is the 6 speed or CVT...and where is the fuel economy improvement? What is Infinity thinking? I guess they are abandoning the M for 2008 expecting the G to make the money. I am going to bet that the 08 M is a very short model year and the 09 comes out (very) early.

2) White and lavender instruments? I wonder if they did any market research? Sounds incredibly ugly for a luxury car.

3) every M owner I know turns off the current lane change system. With the "improvements" which will cause the car to turn back into the current lane, it sounds almost dangerous if you are actually trying to change lanes. I guess it works, but I can't imagine anyone using it except to demo to friends.

4) Finally, rain sensing wipers....wow, what a technology improvement.

I'll be moving to a Lexus or returning to a BMW for my next car.
  • ohmarkohmark Posts: 3
    Any news at to what the new colors are?
  • ocimocim Posts: 45
    I agree. I have no idea what the heck Infiniti is thinking. I liked the M35X after test driving. I thought that it had much more luxurious appointments over the competitors (BMW 530, Acura RL, Lexus GS, etc. I also thought it had better in handling than the BMW. However, I never drove the car on the open highway. There are too many complaints here about the car revving too high at 70mph. This really concerns me. Even 4 cylinders don't rev that high anymore, let alone a luxury car. I think the excessive engine hum would really get to me on long trips. I had a 91 Honda Prelude that I had to get rid of because of high revs at highway speeds. I swore I would never buy another car like that again. Too bad, because the M was really roomy - something that is also important to me.
    ghstudio, I am sure that you are correct that Infiniti does not have a six speed in their parts bin to "drop in"; however, they have heard the complaints about higway noise and poor fuel economy since the new M was introduced three years ago and have done nothing (including buying one from another manufacturer which many others already do). Nearly all other manufacturers are moving to six speed (or more) transmissions. Even if Nissan/Infiniti concluded that they could not/would not develop one, there are plenty of other things they could do, such as reduce the overall axle ratio, or drop the ratio of the final fifth gear in the present transmission, or try to reduce the vehicle weight, etc, etc. Infiniti seems very arrogant to me on this issue. For 08 there will be numerous other cars with similar performance AND better mileage. To me, Infiniti is behaving like having your neighbor tell you that your house is on fire, but continuing to sit there and watch your favorite TV show.
    I got my M as one of the very first delivered in Tucson ... April 1, 2005. I've not had a moment's problem with it but am very disappointed that they've turned a deaf ear to the myriad of legitimate (and fairly easy to fix) "issues" raised by otherwise very happy owners. Have they fixed the passenger seat? I'll find out today ... mine's going in for an oil change. Gearing not addressed. Fuel economy not addressed. A recipe for taking a stunningly good beginning and turning it into yet another failure. I'd expect this kind of stubbornness from the Germans but not the Japanese. Very distressing. I'll buy American before I buy Infiniti or Lexus (again) if this is the best they can do. 12 months and mine's gone. Bart.
This discussion has been closed.