Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Auto Parts Bargains and Coupons

Comments

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Don't waste the time of a salesperson taking the test drive unless you really think you might want to buy.

I didn't.

First Buick dealer (in the town where I live) had no idea what I was talking about. They had to speak with their regional manager to get the information about the promotion. They promised me a call back the next day. Didn't happen.

The second Buick dealer took my paperwork and immediately processed it. Didn't take a test drive, even though it was a weekday afternoon and the place was practically deserted.

That, plus they didn't really have anything that I was too interested in.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I will only drive a car I'm interested in, unless they say I have to do it (some dealers do that, which seems silly to me).

Any how, what I usually do is tell them the models I'm actually interested in. The Buick dealer has Pontiacs too, so I asked to drive a G6 convertible, since I want a 4 seat convertible to replace my Miata, so the kids can come along.

That's win-win, if they listen to the customer they generate showroom traffic that might result in a sale.

Too bad the structure had too much quiver, including a disturbing rattle in the A-pillar. :sick:

I passed.
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    When I was in sales and Ford did these test drive things I would always greet the customer with a smile, go get a key, open up the car then I would kind of lean over and whisper to them "Hey if your just here for the $50 gift card you really don't have to drive it" then laugh a little. If they were interested they would say so, if they just wanted the gift card they would thank me.
    I'm sure the customer appreciated that.

My wife would take the offer and walk.

I would let you know which model I was more interested in. If the test drive were for an F-150, I'd ask to drive a Freestyle, something like that.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,415
    Some additional charges (waste fees etc.) may apply. Don't see an expiration on the coupon. link

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I hate this trends towards tacking on "environmental fees". :mad:

My dealer had a $20 special and it cost $22 plus tax, the extra $2 for that fee. Well, then, it's not a $20 oil change any more, is it? It's misleading.

Still managed to be very cheap, though. I spend about that much on the oil and filter to do it myself.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,434
    Ford dealer?

"I'll take a drive in the GT, please"

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,677
    That's the way to do it. Most customers don't want to drive the cars anyway.

I just don't think promotions like this generate many sales.
    Probably not. I'm sure they try to target their demographic goals, but end up with coupon clippers. :D
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,434
    ..every time that I go in the showroom, it is a possible sale waiting to happen... :surprise:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,011
    ...for a $50 gas card if I go test drive a Suzuki XL7, Grand Vitara, or SX4. Must have gotten my name on their list when I registered to win a XL7 at the auto show. :)

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Got my Mazda $25 offer. Funny thing is this one is under my wife's name, so I think she must've registered us first (under my e-mail).

Once I fill it out and send it in I'll report back.
    Ford Edge & Kona contest (the island, not the java). US residents only.

The contest link is at the bottom of the page under News and Events.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

$25 rebate back from Mopar on accessory purchases of $200 or more (pdf file)

Mail in rebate with proof of purchase, USA only.

$5,000 AMEX Rewards card from the Lincoln Mercury Signature Sales Event contest 1st prize. link (at the bottom right of the site).

US only.

They'll send you junk postal (and/or email?) - maybe some test drive freebie coupons. ;)

As long as I don't have to pretend I want a Town Car.

Actually a Milan V6 ain't bad. And I've love to see them update the Lincoln LS this century.... :D
    Win an amazing weekend with Team Cadillac’s SPEED World Challenge GT squad and its champion drivers Andy Pilgrim and Lawson Aschenbach at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah.

Enter by 4/26/07, US only (except RI).

CTS-V Win-Ride-Write Sweepstakes

Win a TomTom ONE portable car navigation system from Crutchfield. $299 value.

US only.

link

If you are in SoCal (or want to go there), you can get a free ticket to the Long Beach Grand Prix on Friday, 4/13 from Verizon. This is the practice and qualifying day.

Print this voucher and enjoy.

Well, we got the bag from that Buick offer. We opted for the larger duffel bag.

I was a little disappointed. The fabric is sort of thin, and it's not as big as they made it look in the photos. And this is the bigger one, imagine the small one. It cost us the whole $50 yet it feels more like a $15-20 bag.

Meh, it was free, but I'm not that impressed.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Sorry to hear about the quality of your bag.

Good thing I ordered golf balls .. kinda tough to screw those up from the factory.

(BTW, I got an email stating that my order shipped on Friday, so I'm hoping to get them in the next day or so)
    I hope they are not a smaller than expected size! :surprise: :D
    Here's a trick I learned filling up the Outback at my local grocery today.

Gas here is a few cents cheaper with a grocery "preferred" card that you swipe. I never carry mine but usually you can key in a four digit code written on the pump followed by your phone number and get the discount that way.

Today the pump was fighting me so the attendant told me just to punch in the four digit code over and over until it wouldn't accept any more (11 digits in my case). That worked fine.

So the next time you are at a station but don't have an affinity card for that brand, try punching the "forgot my card" code in over and over.

And be sure to let me know if this trick works in your area. :shades:

What station is that? :confuse:
    Well, as sure as I post that it was an Albertsons, this post will turn up in their daily Google scrape and they'll go fix the pumps. So I'm not going to post what station. ;)

OK, I understand. ;)
    Google TiSp

Sick of paying for broadband that you have to, well, pay for?

Introducing Google TiSP (BETA), our new FREE in-home wireless broadband service. Sign up today and we'll send you your TiSP self-installation kit, which includes setup guide, fiber-optic cable, spindle, wireless router and installation CD.

http://www.google.com/tisp/

US & Canada only.

Reserve your very own new 2008 smart fortwo for $99.

"The Reservation Program will open to ALL smart enthusiasts beginning April 2. If you would like to become an Insider – register today! Upon registering, you will receive a confirmation notification and a special invitation e-newsletter with the link to the Reservation Program. Please note, this program is specifically designed for smart enthusiasts, so brokers and dealers are excluded from participating in the $99 Reservation Program."

smart usa

Pricing for the smart fortwo is expected to start under $15,000 when it arrives in the first quarter of 2008.

Top-quality images of cars and trucks taken by professional automotive photographers are on sale with a coupon. 20% off through April 30.

Check your April CarSpace Newsletter for the coupon code or zap me an email and I'll share mine. ;)

Inside Line Photo Store

That was pretty elaborate. I'm impressed they went through all that trouble.

Watch, someone will want to sue. :sick: