Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan

I am interested in the new 2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan that were shown at the recent Detroit Auto Show. I just read on a Chrysler site that the target introduction in June/July 2007 as early 2008s.

Since I have no interest in the current Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan models I believe that a dedicated 2008 forum is merited.

Comments

• The attached link has some decent photos of the 2008 T&C. I am sure there are even better sites but this set is straight from Chrysler.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-chrysler-town-and-country-1/
  • jboehmjboehm Posts: 44
    I talked to my local dealership last week and they told me that they were expecting 2008 vans in late April/early May.
  • drjcldrjcl Posts: 4
    Where are you located? When will the 2008 be on the lots with the new Swivel N Go seating arrangement?
  • My wife and I own a 97 Chrysler Town and Country SX with the 3.3l v6. The van has served us well since we purchased it in 2004. The vehicle only has 75,000 miles on it now. We tow a small pop up trailer in the summer for camping. We are looking forward to the new model being released. I can't wait to acutally get to sit in one and drive it. I would like the long wheel base with the swivel and go and also the large v6. I have been disappointed with the 2004-2007 models of minivans. The foreign models were powerful, but the interiors felt too industrial and rather uncomfortable in the seats. The gm vans are now history, leaving us with the town and country/grand caravan for the american offerings.
  • gmhellman -

I am also interested in sitting in and driving them. Like you I am only interested in the 4.0 liter V6 with the new 6-speed automatic transmission.

I actually would go with the Stow-n-Go rather than the swivel seating since I have to be able to fold the seats into the floor for my dog and cargo. From the pictures and press release with the Detroit Auto Show I got the impression that the Stow-n-Go and the Swivel seating can not be ordered together.
  • carcom2carcom2 Posts: 212
    That is correct. The Swivel 'n Go do not stow. But I believe they fold and I know they can be removed - they have wheels. They are probably more comfortable than the Stow 'n Go seats - more padding & bigger cushion.

Here is a good link:
    http://www.allpar.com/model/m/2008-minivans.html.

My question is according to that link which gives different dimensions for head room with a sunroof (which makes sense), will a sunroof really be offered? What then happens to the optional dual screen and the nice overhead lighting that comes with it? It's hard to tell from the pics, but it doesn't look like a sunroof can fit with the overhead display. I hope it can - the Nissan Quest has room for a sunroof & their dual screen/ overhead lighting system.
  • carcom2carcom2 Posts: 212
    check out Chrysler.com for more new minivan info.
  • timothyftimothyf Posts: 40
    Does anyone have any information on the reliability of the 4L engine going into DCX's 2008 minivan?
  • Does anyone know if Dodge will offer grand caravan cargo version in the new body style? Some years they did not offer these.

We have a 2002 DGC Sport and I've not driven a 2003-2007 model. Our 2002 drives perfectly and has had very few problems. It has the 3.3L with 4-speed, quad seats, rear air, and some other options, but the seats do not fold into the floor. I guess it improves our marriage to both remove and install the rear bench seat...

The newer features are certainly popular, but not necessary. The only thing I saw on Dodge's site that I did not liek about the 2008 offerings is that you do not appear to get cruise control on the lower level vans without an expensive option package.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Posts: 113
    I love the fact that another manufacturer is adding the swiveling seat. I grew up in a minivan that had that feature and it was always so much fun to have a limo-like atmosphere in a minivan. The truth is that it is not an "Industry First" as chrysler and dodge say it is. The toyota previa had swiveling seats. And if the toyota previa was a minivan as I believe it was, the swiveling seats are not an industry first they are an industry second. They can't take all the credit, but nice job bringing that feature back.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,578
    Swiveling seats are a very nice feature. I have swiveling seats in my 1969 Ford Econoline and, while they are rarely used these days, they were a handy feature in my childhood days.

Disappointing that Chrysler went with such bland styling for the new model, but I have always preferred function over form so I hope that it is a robust and functional van.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I believe this engine is the same one used in the Pacifica. You may want to check that forum for any issues dealing with this particular engine.
  • Wow... i didn't know the feature was that old!... So why then does chrysler call it an industry first? I guess because the Econoline was a "van" not a "minivan" but then what about the previa... it was a "minivan"
  • This car is coming out in October? I wonder why it hasn't been made accessible to the press. Most cars introduced at the spring car shows have been reviewed. Wonder what the problem is.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,578
    I should clarify that the seats in my van, while old (they came out of a 1971 Econoline my father purchased new), are aftermarket seats - he purchased a cargo conversion van. Original factory seats from that era did not even have headrests on them, let alone tilt or swivel! Happily, the captain's chairs in his van had all of those features and are very comfortable seats.

The Previa was a very well thought van: especially for the era. My father almost replaced his 1985 Camry with one until he remembered that he was buying it for himself, not his kids, so he went with a '92 Camry instead.

I tell you, though, the most revolutionary feature added to the minivan was the advent of the left side sliding door in addition to the door on the right. I bet every manufacturer out there let out a collective "duh!" when that was introduced. Sure did not take them long to jump on the bandwagon! :D

I really like my '69 Econoline but, for versatility of use, it cannot compare to the dual-door equipped '98 Caravan. Hauling passengers is such a breeze with those double doors. I told my wife we should sell the Caravan and beef up the Econoline instead (overall, it is a far more reliable and simple to maintain vehicle). She just laughed at me. I get that reaction quite often from her.... :blush:
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • Wow. [non-permissible content removed] and ye shall receive. The next day the first drive is posted on Insideline. Man, I didn't realize I had such clout.

Heh..heh.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,024
    I knew yesterday that the First Drive would be released today. When I saw your whine, I thought you must be psychic! :blush:

You can post your thoughts about the article here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I loved riding in the previa... It was so much fun, especially when my cousins were in the car. It became a real party wagon. Unfortunately the previa died when a huge tree limb came down in a storm and landed on the roof... shattering the windsheild and damaging the overhead air conditioning unit... The car wasn't quite the same after that. I still miss it... my father replaced it with a chevrolet suburban...
  • Dodge will offer a Grand Caravan cargo version in the new body style.
  • Attention all you music lovers out there!

We’d like to invite you to check out the new Chrysler Music Legends Podcast Series featuring some of music’s greatest artists. We’ve just added a new installment featuring Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones. These podcasts feature great music and in-depth interviews and biographies of your favorite musical acts. Best of all, they’re free!

If you use iTunes, all you have to do is visit Chrysler Music Legends Website and simply click on the “Subscribe Here” button. Make sure to turn Artwork on to get a glimpse of some rare photos of your favorite music stars.

The Chrysler Music Legends Podcast Series comes to you courtesy of Chrysler and the All- New 2008 Town & Country Minivan featuring *Swivel ‘n Go Seating and the optional **SIRIUS Backseat TV.

For more information on the All- New 2008 Town & Country, click here.

For more information on other Chrysler products, click here.

As always, feel free to contact with me if you have any questions.

Sean T.
    Chrysler Online Dialogue Representative
    Chrysler Information Center
    ChryslerForum@bbdodetroit.com
    1-800-CHRYSLER / 1-800-247-9753

* Seats must be locked in forward or rearward mode while vehicle is in motion. Child restraints must only be used when seats are in forward-facing mode. Children 12 and under should always be seated in the rear seats properly restrained in a child seat or the vehicle seatbelt. Table top must be installed to base at all times when in use. When not in use, table and base must be properly stowed. Never drive with the table installed without properly using your seat belt.

** SIRIUS dog logo and related marks are registered trademarks of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. SIRIUS Backseat TV is a trademark of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. One year paid subscription by SIRIUS. Programming is subject to change. Not available in Puerto Rico or Hawaii; Limited reception in Alaska. For full terms and conditions, visit sirius.com
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,024
    A journalist with a national publication would like to speak to buyers of the 2008 Town & Country minivan with the MyGig, rear-seat entertainment and satellite television features. The reporter would like to discuss how your family uses MyGig and how important this feature was in your purchase decision. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please send your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, December 3, 2007.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I have a 2008 T&C. Does anyone know if you can buy extra headsets some place else than the dealer that will work in the van?
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    Does anyone know if you can buy extra headsets some place else than the dealer that will work in the van?

I looked up to see what type of wireless headset it comes with. It looks like it is IR - thought it may have been Bluetooth.

My suggestion would be to go someplace like Best Buy and ask them. If they suggest something they think will work make sure you can return it for no stocking fee if it doesn't.
  • lilvbclilvbc Posts: 15
    Hi everyone/anyone,
    This thread should be the most active one for the '08 T&C/Caravan but it's been pretty inactive. My question is: now that many of you have bought the '08 T&C, what have been your driving experiences? Any reliability problems so far? In particular, Consumer Reports killed this model -- they basically thought the MyGig was too difficult to use, the handling was terrible, the wet braking was bad, the swivel-go was too tight, etc. Their review sounded a little over the top to me and alone would not sway me to not purchase the minivan. Many of us really need more real world reviews!! We should try to post these type of things here instead of making a bunch of new little threads on individual problems... Thanks a bunch!
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    I don't think CR could do an unbiased review on a skateboard. It is obvious to me that anything with an import nameplate on it gets glowing reviews from them before they even open the driver's door.

I surf the forums here a lot and the biggest complaint from new owners I've seen on the 08 Chrysler minivans is that the side door can accidently be left open and you don't get any audible feedback when you go to lock your door. I suspect Chrysler could make a change to that if they received enough feedback from the people.
  • maryh3maryh3 Posts: 263
    I wish I could review but still waiting on my van. Ordered it a few weeks ago expecting it to be in before X-mas when we typically take a long trip to see relatives. Was told yesterday that they are backlogged on certain colors of leather so it won't be in until January sometime. Looks like I will have to take my 174K 2000 T&C on the trip instead. I'm disappointed. The new van would have made that journey a lot shorter.
    Well I guess I should be grateful that I have a backup. But those double DVD,s and MyGig, quietness, smoothness, reading lights, table and swivel seats would have been nice.

Indeed this should be an active thread, perhaps many of us are waiting on our vehicles. As far as CR goes, their bias cracks me up. You have to go by your own experiences and judgments when purchasing vehicles. I've always been a fan of making decisions based upon what I see and hear. My experience with my old T&C was exceptional enough for me to repurchase one with a differing package.
  • I can't get the 4.0L engine at all in the T&C Touring and I have to take the swivel n go seats, along with a load of other useless (to me) crap in the Dodge SXT to get the 4.0L engine.

The Toyota Sienna is looking better to me all the time, especially as Chrysler still hasn't made even a halfway serious attempt to address the NVH problems with my 2005 T&C Touring.
  • We love our T&C. We bought it Dec 1st and have about 1300 miles on it. We love it. There has been no quality control issues. The MyGIG is VERY EASY. If Consumer Reports thought the MyGIG was hard they must have problems with a standard AM/FM radio also because it is very simple. We have loaded over 10 CD's to the hard disc drive so far. On cool feature is the JukeBox setting in MyGIG. You can basically customize groups of songs/CD's and also name the CD/songs if the CD did not have them. Overall I think this van should get 10 stars, we had also looked at the Honda Ody and the T/C was much nicer. We had a 2005 Duragno Limited so going to a "MiniVan" was a shock to the ego. Well I should say that we are happy to be driving the van. It is very convenient with having a family. The storage is much better than the Durango. We also live in Northern Michigan and the T/C is great in the snow, just as good as the Durango that was a 4x4. I hope that this post helps......
  • We love are Town and Country Touring van so far. We got it in October, wish we would have waited a little longer, as they came out with a better rebate than the $500 we received. We have had No problems with the van with just 3000 miles on it so far. We are wondering about the gas mileage, it is getting 18 MPG driving everyday on the freeway doing around 70. We where hoping it would get into the 20+ range as they advertise. Is that average for the 3.8 engine, even with the new 6 speed transmisson? Othrwise it is a nice van, except it is down shifting alot on the freeway for any larger hill a person accends. Maybe that will all get better after it breaks in more.