Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan

Comments

• I like the 2008 Chrysler and Dodge minivans a lot--they look great and the prices seem fair for base trim. But...I've read lots of horror stories about failing transmissions on Chrysler products, both on the Edmund's forums and elsewhere. Of grave concern was a post from someone claiming they had transmission problems on several generations of Chrysler vans he/she had owned (makes me wonder why they continued buying, but that's another issue). I really want an 'American' (as in traditional Big Three) product this time around, but the Chrysler boys aren't getting good write-ups as far as I can tell. Should I be alarmed, or give Chrysler a chance? :confuse:
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Don't let some posting from some bitter buyer weigh too heavily on you. I can tell you I've had 3 Chrysler minivans since 1997 wihtout a single tranny issue. I have many friends and coworkers too....NONE!! You can check out other make's forums and here and see many horror tales for them too.

I'd test drive em all and make up your own mind.
  • Thx for the feedback!
  • We're in the process of buying an 08 T&C Limited. We didn't particularly want a sunroof but that's what's available at the moment with the other options / colours we want. Anybody with the sunroof here? What is the overhead console like with the sunroof? Do you still have the "ambient halo" light? We really wanted that and are trying to decide if we should just order it from the factory without the sunroof.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    Consider that most people posting have a reason, either they have a problem and want to see if anyone else has had one like their problem, or they want to vent or brag. Proberly those with problems out weigh the bragging posts.
    I have had 17 Chrysler vehicles in my life, only two had any problem and they were fixed by Chrysler. The big noise about chrysler transmissions is 95% rumor and 5% fact.
    There is a huge bias against any vehicle made in the USA. Just look at any car or truck magazine, foreign vehicles are the envied of the car writers. That burns me up! Right now Toyota has dropped in the score related to the number of times buyers have to bring back their vehicles back to be worked on after delivery. We sure don't hear much about that do we?
    I am an 62 year old who buys American when ever I can, even if it cost more! We are so deep in debt to China, Japan and countries we once were at war with, and rescued their economy to restart them, we have been taken over by our kindness and mercy given to Germany and other European Countries.
    With the CHRYSLER LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY i DON'T SEE ANY REASON TO FEAR ANY POWERTRAIN PROBLEM THAT MIGHT COME ABOUT. There is no other vechicel that comes even close to LIFETIME at least that I have found. And that is a no decuctable too!
    As far as I am concerned most American vehicles are about the same and have drastically improved to more than beat the foreign vehicles. I am sure there are some who will dispute me on that, but that's how I see it. Check out some parts on a vehicle made in Europe or Asia and see how much more they cost and then check out an American list of the same parts.

farout
  • I would agree with farout here; I think they are all the same. And I just bought an 08 Grand Caravan.

And, I would add that I don't believe the Japanese cars are more reliable. However, I do believe that the service departments at the Japanese dealers do a much better job to give the appearance of reliability. They really seem to emphasize fixing it right the first time. The priority at the American car dealers always seems to be "Get it done".

Since 1988 (before my van), I've owned a 88 Mazda MX6, a 1998 Honda Accord, a 1992 Ford Taurus, a 1994 Ford Windstar, and a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville.

When I had the Accord and the MX6, the dealer always gave me a loaner when I dropped the car off for service. And, on a few occasions, they asked if I could use the loaner another day so that they could do a few more things or check things out a little more thoroughly.

When I had my Ford and Pontiac, the dealers never did that. The goal always seemed to be getting the car ready when promised; regardless of whether or not the underlying problem was fixed.

I've seen this at a Mazda dealer, two different Honda dealers, a Ford Dealer, a Pontiac Dealer and, now, a Dodge dealer. And the pattern always seems the same; the Japanese car dealers have repair shops that emphasize customer service.

Jeff
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I think dealership service is same as manufacturer, meaning you can find crappy dealerships regardless of brand. I had an Acura once where the seatbelt warning would just go one when it wanted to, except when I was within a mile of the dealership. It took dealer months to figure it out and fix it. I was shocked at my Dodge dealership recently when I needed oil change and airbag sensor checked. It was suppose to be done before lunch and wasn't. They called me after lunch and apologized for being late, but they found bad outter tierods, noticed that my warranty expired in 3 days and wanted to fix them under warranty for me.....not bad in my book.
  • staciystaciy Posts: 8
    could you tell me the friends price of the touring 08 with a msrp of 35625. zipcode 35613. It has the 25m package, nav, and sirius tv. Also extra for red paint. It is at a dealership and I wanted to know what you show as the price. Thanks,
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    MSRP: $35,625
    Friends: $30,654

The above Friends price includes a current rebate of $1,500 in your region.

Also, you can determine the Friends price on any vehicle by looking up the invoice on Edmunds. The Friends price is 1% below invoice. Any rebates or other price incentives are subtracted from that for even greater savings.
  • lilvbclilvbc Posts: 15
    Hi, just going to ask this question again in case anyone knows -- has anyone gone through a carwash w/ this van? I'm worried about the old-style antenna on the right front of the van getting mangled; it doesn't look like you can take it off easily either. Thanks.
  • I ordered a T&C in Nov and still waiting for delivery. No one seems to have any idea when it will be built even though they gave me a vin number for my car. Any one have any ideas about delivery time.
  • maryh3maryh3 Posts: 263
    I am in the same boat as you are -- we ordered mid-November and still waiting. I get miffed because we ordered then because we thought our new van would be in for long trips we take for X-mas and MLK when we go skiing. Now both have passed and we still are waiting. I'm getting mad. My old t&c now has 177K and it is not as comfortable as the new one would be. If I knew it would take this long I would have waited to order until the rebate get bigger.
  • I have call Chrysler customer assistance with a vehicle order number and was told that it is on the schedule but there is nobody in the company can furnish a date for the build.

Chrysler does not seem to be very organized operation.
  • Can any of the Chrylser employees out there enlighten us on what the new options packages that will be offered are? (Announced this morning by Deborah Myers). Specifically I am interested in T&C options. I am reasonalby certain I want a T&C Touring with L package but if I can Swivel n Go and leather on LX I might be tempted to save a few bucks. Any engine upgrade options coming?

Thanks.
    Can any of the Chrylser employees out there enlighten us on what the new options packages that will be offered are?

The only way I know of would be to go to chrysler.com and click on the Build My Own tab.
  • maryh3maryh3 Posts: 263
    I agree about the disorganization but I've never ordered a car and have it come in when the salesman said it would and this includes both a Toyota, BMW and Ford. I believe the salesmen too much I guess.

I try to look at the bright side of things. By it not coming in yet I will save on taxes - I will be assessed on a auto will be 1 year old at the time of assessment (Dec). I backed into a pole recently and scratched a little paint on my bumper - glad it wasn't my new van. Went skiing and my van is covered with salt from the road - glad it isn't my new van. Gotta think positively about this!!
  • The L package has changed. It now has everything that the M package has except the larger rims, larger tires and air filtration but will be $130 less and then has a $1525 "Dual DVD Entertainment Grp Discount" subtracted from the MSRP ($1655 total price difference). If you go Chrysler's website and search local dealers you'll see some of the window stickers with the new packages on them.
  • jeepdtjeepdt Posts: 15
    Maybe I missed this one. What happened to the grove box light on the 08 DGC? I openned my GB at night and couldn't see a thing inside it. Even with the interior lights on. I guess that's why Chrysler included a flashlight with their new minivans, LOL. I hope they put it back moving forward. ;)
  • I agree. If you can find a dealer with a service department that is great; stick with them. I was disappointed when my Pontiac dealer was sold 18 months after I bought the car. The service went downhill and I was rarely happy with them after the sale.
  • Hi everyone,

I've been driving an 08 Town & Country Limited since November and overall I love it. It's my 5th van and by far the best yet. I do however have 2 gripes that perhaps someone could explain to me:

1. There is no low washer fluid level warning. Every car I've had since I started driving has had this. The T&C even has tire pressure details available, but I can't find anywhere the low washer fluid indicator and I keep unexpectedly running out. Am I missing something here or is it really not there? If not, why on earth would they omit it?

2. Low fuel indicator. At least it has this. On my previous Grand Caravans the "distance until empty" value would decrease to zero, then you'd have a few more available miles on the reserve tank before it was truly out. On this one, the DTE measurement is still there, but only until you reach the low fuel level (about 1/4 tank). As soon as that low fuel warning comes on, no more distance measurements.

Anyone have any insight into these issues?
  • Hello,
    We are considering a new TC or GC. Can anyone tell me what differences there are between the two in general? Are there any different features? Package deals, options, gizmos? :-)
    Thanks
    Here are links to the websites for each of the two vehicles.

2008 Chrysler Town & Country

http://www.chrysler.com/en/2008/town_country/

LX MSRP*:$23,240
    Touring MSRP*:$28,625
    Touring Signature Series Value Package MSRP*:$32,145
    Limited MSRP*:$36,400

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/grand_caravan/

SE VALUE MSRP*:$22,520
    SE MSRP*:$26,210
    SXT MSRP*:$27,730
  • yatesjoyatesjo Posts: 186
    Biggest differences as I saw it:
    T&C is a bit more expensive for the same options but has a more upscale interior (nicer leather, faux wood dash, better feel overall) and a softer ride. Strangely the vastly superior 4.0L engine is more difficult to get since it is only on the top of the line Limited.

Speaking of engines, I was surprised and dismayed to see that they are still making pushrod engines when overhead cams (OHC) are so much more powerful and efficient and all of their competitors use OHC engines (Single OHC or Dual OHC). The 3.3L pushrod is far too weak but lets them claim fuel economy and flex fuel capability; the 3.8L pushrod on the other hand is completely pointless when you get the same economy and a lot more power from the 4.0L which is OHC.

The Grand Caravan has a slightly firmer ride (a good thing IMHO, more so would be better), but you can feel the cost difference by the quality of interior materials. The 4.0L engine is much more accessible with the SXT N or M packages which, while well equipped, don't have to have all the expensive bells and whistles found on the T&C Limited.
  • Thanks for all the great info... this will be a big help.
    Thanks also to Tedebear...I'm going to be spending a lot of time on those sites..

I would love to hear everyone's reasons for choosing one over the other...sounds like it is going to be a tough choice.
  • Does anyone have an educated guess or insider knowledge of upcoming dealer interest rate incentives that will be offered? I have decided on leasing the T&C, but can't bring myself to commit on the cash rebate alone. I did see on automotive.com that Chrysler is offering a 5.3% on a 36 month lease but want to wait until it gets to the 3% range. How long do you think I'll have to wait? Advice?
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    Reuters News Service is reporting that DX dealers have approved a reorganization plan that will eliminate many dealers. Also, and perhaps of more importance to consumers, Chrysler will eliminate as many as 30 models including one of their two minivan brands. Trust me, you do not want to be the owner of a discontinued model. My 2003 Olds Silhouette's value dropped drastically when GM discontinued the Olds brand.

Who will it be, Dodge Caravan or the Town and Country? Doesn't the Caravan outsell the T & C?

Buyer beware.
    It's called Project Genesis. The plan is to have the entire lineup under one roof.

Chrysler hasn't said which models they are considering cutting but if one of the two minivans goes that doesn't mean it will not still be available under a different name. The Chrysler PT Cruiser used to be a Plymouth.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    The point is you will still own an orphan nameplate and the value of your car will depreciate, greatly. The T&C and Caravan have significant differences as noted here by other posters so it will affect the vehicle's resale value. These vans already have a notoriously low resale value.

This is not a new issue as many other brands both domestic and foreign have done it in the past.

It might be interesting to note the resale value of a used Pacifica since DX decided to kill that model.
    The Pacifica is being discontinued. This is totally different than changing the name of a minivan that the company has no plans to stop building.

Since both of these minivans are built under the same roof the company can configure what goes out the door however they want. There would no physical change to the product, other than a namplate. Did the resale of the PT Cruiser suddenly drop when it became a Chrysler?

Right now the Chrysler and Dodge minivans have 7 different configurations between the two. If they get rid of one name I suspect the company will consolidate some of those models into maybe 4-5 different choices.

2008 Chrysler Town & Country

LX MSRP*:$23,240
    Touring MSRP*:$28,625
    Touring Signature Series Value Package MSRP*:$32,145
    Limited MSRP*:$36,400

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

SE VALUE MSRP*:$22,520
    SE MSRP*:$26,210
    SXT MSRP*:$27,730
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,394
    I agree. Considering the continued availability of parts, support, etc. and the already rapid rate of depreciation, I doubt the value of the discontinued branding will significantly drop in relation to the value of a comparable van in the continuing brand.